Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

look to your NC neighbors for a taste of what to expect, especially last minute lame duck session bills to strip powers from the governor after they lose the seat again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Every time but once in the past 30 years, the president’s party gets trounced next election.

It’s not a “lol, nothing matters,” take but more that a lot of mediocre writers and news click seekers will try to spin an exciting narrative out of an outcome that is in line with historic norms. Plus politicians doing the spiderman meme.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Oh good, all the democrats have to do is pass a big spending bill that helps people. I'm sure there's nobody who will stop that.

Imagine what this country would be like if either party actually wanted to help people worth less than $10MM. :allears:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

mlmp08 posted:

Every time but once in the past 30 years, the president’s party gets trounced next election.

It’s not a “lol, nothing matters,” take but more that a lot of mediocre writers and news click seekers will try to spin an exciting narrative out of an outcome that is in line with historic norms. Plus politicians doing the spiderman meme.

Virginia's going to become a :troll: state. Every single shitbag legislation that can be passed to ~own the Libs~ will be submitted and passed 52/48 (the state senate is still 21D/18+1R - at least until 2023), and everyone outside of VA will focus on the superficial and sensationalist poo poo that doesn't affect them while what little progressive initiatives have been passed in this state will be bulldozed and paved over with landmines.

"Good," someone naive might say, "it'll give the rest of the country an example of why they shouldn't vote for Trump again!"

"lol," said the cynic. "lmao."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 3, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think NY's solicitor general realizes whose they're presenting against.

https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/1455915198234120201?s=20
https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/1455915584969969664?s=20

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Did the court find in Heller that self-defense is a component of the 2nd, or is this just him making up poo poo on the fly?

Come to think of it “making up poo poo on the fly” is a fairly accurate description of the court’s role.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

mlmp08 posted:

30 years of center dems getting absolutely loving trounced after failing to deliver anything meaningful you say

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Loucks posted:

Did the court find in Heller that self-defense is a component of the 2nd, or is this just him making up poo poo on the fly?

Come to think of it “making up poo poo on the fly” is a fairly accurate description of the court’s role.

I think so (same with McDonald), but I recall that was limited only to the question of inside the home.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I dunno if it's legit, but I'd argue there are exceptions built into the "core right to self defense" as there are places where you are not allowed to carry guns even though it's possible for you to be attacked, ex courthouses.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I think so (same with McDonald), but I recall that was limited only to the question of inside the home.

Yeah. Home vs out and about is a big difference and part of why there is legitimate vs feigned confusion about where the line is.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Defenestrategy posted:

I dunno if it's legit, but I'd argue there are exceptions built into the "core right to self defense" as there are places where you are not allowed to carry guns even though it's possible for you to be attacked, ex courthouses.

They covered that a bit earlier in oral argument. The plaintiffs lawyer was cautious not to make a call one way or the other on where he stood ref subways etc.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

They covered that a bit earlier in oral argument. The plaintiffs lawyer was cautious not to make a call one way or the other on where he stood ref subways etc.

It seems like the "right to self defense" as interpreted says you're allowed to defend yourself, it doesn't say you have to use a gun to do it.

A new age of swords is approaching!

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Give every American one (1) frag grenade.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mlmp08 posted:

That said iirc subways are not excluded in Philadelphia or PA....I think and I'm sure other places too. So it's kind of funny, but I totally get why he's not touching it with a ten foot poll.

Defenestrategy posted:

That is pretty much the Heller footnote. It was done iirc to get Kennedy on board.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Clarification on the Founders' intent regarding "right to self defense:" every adult may carry an old-timey dagger to stave off highway bandits and press gangs.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Gorsuch kinda getting after it here. NY prefers history (there is a shitload of precedent for very strict gun control), whereas gun rights hardliners would love to have a court say those past decades/centuries+ years were just interpreted wrong by lower courts and cities/states.

https://twitter.com/scotusblog/status/1455926048932171781?s=21

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mlmp08 posted:

Gorsuch kinda getting after it here. NY prefers history (there is a shitload of precedent for very strict gun control), whereas gun rights hardliners would love to have a court say those past decades/centuries+ years were just interpreted wrong by lower courts and cities/states.

https://twitter.com/scotusblog/status/1455926048932171781?s=21

The problem is I think you can legit argue that a lot of those favorable decisions (like early and mid 20th century) were driven by racism and nativism, so honestly I think history kind of sucks for NY in a way. Also it doesn't help that this case is basically NYC wants to remain special and only give out carry permits to the rich (and limited job related ones). Look I know I'm out of step with the thread here, I just despise the NY system and how it's both discriminatory and over invasive.

Granted it's going to be interesting what range of decisions we could get.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Loucks posted:

Give every American one (1) of those backpack nukes

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/1455923526205124609?s=20

I was wondering if this would be brought up. Also I think Fletcher wanted to get away from it as fast as possible.

https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/1455929101211025408?s=20

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/waltshaub/status/1455716232007757825

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

MazelTovCocktail posted:

The problem is I think you can legit argue that a lot of those favorable decisions (like early and mid 20th century) were driven by racism and nativism, so honestly I think history kind of sucks for NY in a way. Also it doesn't help that this case is basically NYC wants to remain special and only give out carry permits to the rich (and limited job related ones). Look I know I'm out of step with the thread here, I just despise the NY system and how it's both discriminatory and over invasive.

Granted it's going to be interesting what range of decisions we could get.

Jokes aside I generally agree with you. Areas with strictly regulated or "banned" carry are almost universally "carry for the rich/connected/cops only" in practice. You want to do away with the idea, go ahead, but you're going to have to completely rework the fundental underpinnings of how it is practiced. Not just say "New York/LA but nationwide."

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

When I got that I legit thought it was a republican mailer. The Dems mailers and canvassers were literally just "go vote" with not message as to who to vote for or why. At best "keep Virginia blue".

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Discussion Quorum posted:

Jokes aside I generally agree with you. Areas with strictly regulated or "banned" carry are almost universally "carry for the rich/connected/cops only" in practice. You want to do away with the idea, go ahead, but you're going to have to completely rework the fundental underpinnings of how it is practiced. Not just say "New York/LA but nationwide."

Exactly. It's like when people people try passing stuff locally in PA that is preempted by the State. Look if you want to do that working on repealing the UFA. Same for the 2nd Amendment on national issues.

But yeah it's heavily built into a lot of elitist trash behavior, which makes it an even bigger target now.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

look to your NC neighbors for a taste of what to expect, especially last minute lame duck session bills to strip powers from the governor after they lose the seat again

Hmm but if it was possible to use power to reinforce your party position, Dems would have done it.

Snopes rates this article false

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I think the "vote blue or else trump" ship has sailed for election strategy. People voting or can be persuaded about voting republican at this point just do not care.

Wrennic_26
Jul 9, 2009

I love how on the nose this was. Nice man.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

frinkiac is a cruel mistress

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/rachelkaras/status/1455930371451858949?s=21

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ahahahahahahahaha

Also in cheese headed decisions.

https://twitter.com/seifertespn/status/1455930873556070401?s=21

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 3, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

They're so loving stupid lol

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
My wife and younger son tested covid positive today, older son and I probably have it, waiting on tests. The information/instructions we're getting from our kids daycare, the high school my wife works for, and our pediatrician is significantly different. Glad we're on top of this pandemic thing.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

frinkiac is a cruel mistress

Hans Moleman would be boomer age so not unexpected

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Nick Soapdish posted:

Hans Moleman would be boomer age so not unexpected

Nonsense, Hans Moleman is 31 years old.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

McNally posted:

Nonsense, Hans Moleman is 31 years old.

I also hear he's a friend of Bill

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Does anyone have a source for this other than twitter? I'm not finding any articles... Maybe I'm using the wrong words?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ASAPI posted:

Does anyone have a source for this other than twitter? I'm not finding any articles... Maybe I'm using the wrong words?

Various goons also received said mailer. It's legit.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Yeah can confirm it is real, parents received one as well.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I got one and spent a good 5 minutes trying to figure out which party sent it.

Also:
https://mobile.twitter.com/brianklaas/status/1455863416040603658?s=20

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
I’m kind of surprised there isn’t more talk about the New Jersey governor race honestly. It’s neck and neck and has flipped multiple times and is almost certainly going to end in a recount but that it’s this close is wild. The republican nominee Jack Ciattarelli straight up ran on a platform that the people of New Jersey don’t know what they want and that he would lead them with an iron fist by expansive use of police force…. And people voted for him in droves?!?!. Like I get how that appeals to some people and how the republican nominee is going to draw in votes regardless but like I seriously can’t wrap my head around how enough people thought that sounded good to make the race still uncalled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
He's going to use the police on THOSE PEOPLE not THEM you see