Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

25W S21 Ultra charges twice as fast as the 30W pixel 6 pro, which was my observation as well. Disappointing, especially after paying a lot for the chargers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leas-LKsajY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Regretful Humming posted:

I finally have my Pixel 6 and have it all set up. I like it a lot but I have just one complaint: the fingerprint sensor just won't work with a screen protector on.

Same thing happened to me. I took the screen protector off and it's actually working really well now. I wonder if the sensor would work better with the screen sensitivity is increased in settings? Then try it with the screen protector on?

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Same thing happened to me. I took the screen protector off and it's actually working really well now. I wonder if the sensor would work better with the screen sensitivity is increased in settings? Then try it with the screen protector on?

I tried that already and no luck. I'm guessing it's something that could be fixed with a software update? I would rather keep the screen protector on, but I might just go without it, at least for a while. I'm gonna sleep on it. Haha

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

25W S21 Ultra charges twice as fast as the 30W pixel 6 pro, which was my observation as well. Disappointing, especially after paying a lot for the chargers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leas-LKsajY

Well, I mean that statement isn't quite telling the whole story.

From 0-70% they are pretty comparable, Pixel just backs of charge rate aggressively after that and it's really the last 10% that takes the vast majority of that extra time. Samsung keeps things at about 15w till close to the end while Pixel trickle charges at about 5w when above 90%.

So yeah, from 0-100% there's a big disparity, but in the stages of battery drain where fast charge matters the most, it works just as well.

The real question is if the charging back-off actually translates to better battery longevity in the long run.

It's still a massive improvement over Pixels to this point.

Also, the 25w Samsung charger will change the Pixel 6 nearly as well as the official Google adapters because they use the same tech. So there really isn't much need to buy something else.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 3, 2021

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Has anyone with an unlocked 6 Pro on Verizon gotten the november update yet? Usually, manually checking would catch it, but I'm not getting anything.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

hooah posted:

C'mon, you know they mean they want it in a single line. I agree that

is a pretty dumb way to represent time, but I'm not going to lose any sleep about it, either.

If you have any always on notification then it seems the always on display will show the time up in the top left of the screen unstacked, which I prefer. Accuweather and Adguard do it for me!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Xachariah posted:

If you have any always on notification then it seems the always on display will show the time up in the top left of the screen unstacked, which I prefer. Accuweather and Adguard do it for me!

It's funny, because I see the same behavior as you with my persistent weather notification, except when the phone's in bedtime mode. Then it does the big clock. Unless it's on the wireless charger during that time, in which case it does the smaller clock. Makes no sense.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Bedtime mode I presume is doing DnD which would hide notifications by default.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I bought a Pixel 6 on the Google store, and yesterday they sent me an email that offered me a free pair of Pixel Buds A with a coupon code.

Unfortunately, I bought a pair a month ago and don't need two of them. Can I just forward this email on to friends and/or family who use Android phones and might want them, or do I have to make the purchase and have it sent to them?

Edit: Looks like I have to order it myself. Done.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 4, 2021

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Rap Game Goku posted:

Has anyone with an unlocked 6 Pro on Verizon gotten the november update yet? Usually, manually checking would catch it, but I'm not getting anything.

Nope. I'm still on the October update.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to turn 5G off on the 6 Pro. Maybe it's because I'm on Fi or something, but I cannot find the setting at all. Even when searching for it via settings search.

Not sure if anyone answered this question but turning the phone on in safe mode pops the option up for me on Fi

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

Bedtime mode I presume is doing DnD which would hide notifications by default.

Right, but why does it only show the big clock when it's in bedtime mode but not on the charger?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
drat does pixel 6 really still not have a 24fps video mode? I've got Filmic Pro but some of those new camera app features would be nice to have at the douchebag framerate.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

LastInLine posted:

Isn't this just polarized lenses?

Nope, my regular glasses aren't polarized. It's only certain colors, like the magenta or whatever in Tha OkCupid icon. It doesn't happen with my polarized sunglasses.

I'm liking Assistant's new Driving mode. I was ready to rage out once I opened Auto and it told me to gently caress off, but I think Assistant is better than phone mode Auto ever was. I just need it to actually open when it detects my stupid Bluetooth audio adapter.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hooah posted:

Right, but why does it only show the big clock when it's in bedtime mode but not on the charger?

That's what I was asking. If you didn't have it in DnD mode until it enters bedtime mode then notifications are visible (small clock) then it goes to bedtime mode and switches on DnD which hides notifications (big clock).

Unless you never had any notifications to begin with. But keep in mind that even an active media session will keep a small clock.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

That's what I was asking. If you didn't have it in DnD mode until it enters bedtime mode then notifications are visible (small clock) then it goes to bedtime mode and switches on DnD which hides notifications (big clock).

Unless you never had any notifications to begin with. But keep in mind that even an active media session will keep a small clock.

I feel like we're talking past each other. I have a persistent notification, so I would expect the clock to always be small. However, when it's during my bedtime hours but the phone isn't charging, the clock is big, even though the notification is still there. If I put on the charger, it goes back to the small clock, despite no change in DnD or bedtime settings.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Digital Jedi posted:

Nope. I'm still on the October update.

I found a thread on xda of people saying they hadn't gotten it yet. Apparently, there's a Verizon specific version and that's messing it up since the unlocked phones aren't "Verizon".

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hooah posted:

I feel like we're talking past each other. I have a persistent notification, so I would expect the clock to always be small. However, when it's during my bedtime hours but the phone isn't charging, the clock is big, even though the notification is still there. If I put on the charger, it goes back to the small clock, despite no change in DnD or bedtime settings.

No idea then, sounds like some instance where settings are overriding each other.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Companies need to hire me as a beta tester.

Assistant still broken.
"Add milk to grocery list"
There is no list names grocery, would you like me to create one.
"Yes"
Something went wrong while I was fetching your request.

And now, my keyboard intermittently stops working. Turning the phone off and on fixes it.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I do not care for this update, I can see making visual changes but at least let us change them back! I guess my 3A does seem snappier for some things but I'm not sure I love the tradeoff.

At least justify the date and weather on the home screen to the middle, for Pete's sake.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

angerbeet posted:

I do not care for this update, I can see making visual changes but at least let us change them back!

The whole point of visually updating the UI is to force users into the future.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DXO mark results. The number system is meh, but the shots speak for themselves. Google needs work tuning the portrait mode and the UW isn't as wide as everyone else, but overall very good results and it's evident again that Apple needs to move to higher MP capture because often times the iPhone 13 Pro is lagging in fine detail.

How they tested night shots is kinda goofy though.

https://www.dxomark.com/google-pixel-6-pro-camera-review-a-big-leap-in-image-quality/

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Anyone else on the Pixel 6 having the Phone app reset their favourites organisation? My favourites are all there but the default numbers and order of them aren't saved any time I go back to the app. Clearing cache etc. makes no difference. Just started happening today.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

The whole point of visually updating the UI is to force users into the future.
i didn't realize the future was "nonsensical clock layout unless something completely unrelated happens in which case enjoy your regular clock"

other gripes:
the big buttons in the quick settings menu means i get fewer of them, and now that google pay doesn't come up from the power button, i need to spend another one of them on that. i can no longer set the home screen grid to be a different size from the app drawer. yes i own nova launcher but i'm not installing it just for that. material you icons aren't there for any 3rd party apps or even several google apps. the stretchy overscroll effect is nauseating. i'm also not happy with the way sliders look now but i think i'll get used to that

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

butt dickus posted:

other gripes:
the big buttons in the quick settings menu means i get fewer of them, and now that google pay doesn't come up from the power button, i need to spend another one of them on that.

Serious question, why are people opening GPay so frequently that this is a concern?

e; v I forgot it did club cards and stuff, that makes sense.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 3, 2021

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I have to open it every time I go to the supermarket for various club cards etc tbf

But you can put a short cut on the lockscreen so it's not an issue

e: I've just noticed there's a lock screen shortcut to home controls too, that's handy

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 3, 2021

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

You used to be able to do a partial swipe on a notification and get the option to turn them off for that app. How do I do this now?

I really hate all of the basic functions of my phone breaking.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Hold it down and hit the gear. This frustrated me too.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Hi guys, my pixel 6 takes some amazing astrophotography mode pictures:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
so what might cause a Pixel 4 at ~85% battery life to hard crash, show the "low battery" splash screen for a split second, then reboot itself into Android? this occurred infrequently during the Android beta but it persists when doing mundane tasks like swiping to open the server list in Discord or opening a Snapchat message and it's not exactly my favorite thing in the world. poor, flaky battery terminal connection? or does this have the hallmarks of a normal Android system crash, it's been so long that I'm actually not sure and the only Google results that seem to pop up are for phones that won't turn on at all, not ones that work fine and then crash

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

barnold posted:

so what might cause a Pixel 4 at ~85% battery life to hard crash, show the "low battery" splash screen for a split second, then reboot itself into Android? this occurred infrequently during the Android beta but it persists when doing mundane tasks like swiping to open the server list in Discord or opening a Snapchat message and it's not exactly my favorite thing in the world. poor, flaky battery terminal connection? or does this have the hallmarks of a normal Android system crash, it's been so long that I'm actually not sure and the only Google results that seem to pop up are for phones that won't turn on at all, not ones that work fine and then crash

sounds like bad battery or battery connector

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

i didn't realize the future was "nonsensical clock layout unless something completely unrelated happens in which case enjoy your regular clock"

I mean, it definitionally is. Or rather was, now it's the present. In a year you'll be marched into the future again.

butt dickus posted:

other gripes:
the big buttons in the quick settings menu means i get fewer of them,

My problem had always been finding enough buttons to fill the row. How many are you toggling a day? I probably press QSTs ten times a year total across every button.

butt dickus posted:

and now that google pay doesn't come up from the power button, i need to spend another one of them on that.

Used to be a complaint of mine until someone ITT pointed out that you don't need a button at all to use GPay. As long as the phone is unlocked, it works. I tried it and it's true, there's no reason at all to ever use the shortcut (which is on the lockscreen and in the QSP).

butt dickus posted:

i can no longer set the home screen grid to be a different size from the app drawer. yes i own nova launcher but i'm not installing it just for that. material you icons aren't there for any 3rd party apps or even several google apps. the stretchy overscroll effect is nauseating. i'm also not happy with the way sliders look now but i think i'll get used to that

I feel like not being able to hide apps is Pixel Launcher's greatest sin but still I understand, I too wish it was better but it isn't and won't ever be and Nova is a fine replacement. You know your options and you've made your choice. Material You icons, it's Google, of course it's going to be half-assed. It will never be whole-assed, that's kinda their thing. The overscroll effect is nauseating, true, but iOS has had it for a while and they don't seem to mind it. As for the aesthetics, that's just the future, man, you can't fight THE FUTURE!

No one said the future wasn't going to be annoying, I was just saying the whole point of updating all this poo poo is to update it, they aren't going to go through the trouble of doing it and then put in a toggle for "Gingerbread UI". They're going to make it and you're going to use it and that's how this works.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

LastInLine posted:

My problem had always been finding enough buttons to fill the row. How many are you toggling a day? I probably press QSTs ten times a year total across every button.
Internet, battery saver, flashlight, Bluetooth, airplane mode, hotspot.

Location was in rotation for a bit but I got over it and janitorial duty.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Celexi posted:

Hi guys, my pixel 6 takes some amazing astrophotography mode pictures:

Those are pretty great! Thanks for sharing.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

https://9to5google.com/2021/1 1/02/android-12-chromecast-volume-rocker-legal-issue/

quote:

While they wouldn’t elaborate in the public setting, it seems likely that the removal is tied to the recent preliminary ruling that Google is infringing on the patents of audio company Sonos, a lawsuit that has been underway since early 2020.

Apparently controlling volume is patented. Better turn in all of your knobs.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

My compass is acting weird, in Google Maps it consistently shows me pointed 180 degrees in the wrong direction so I keep getting lost while walking places. Any idea what steps to take? Pixel 6 Pro.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I have an old charger at my work desk. It charges slowly but it doesn't matter since I just use it to top up and my phone is just sitting there anyway. But lately my phone has started acting weird, it rebooted or became unresponsive after connecting or disconnecting the charger (all four possible combinations have happened). Has anyone experienced that before? Think I'll just throw the charger away in case the electronics have started going bad.

smoobles posted:

My compass is acting weird, in Google Maps it consistently shows me pointed 180 degrees in the wrong direction so I keep getting lost while walking places. Any idea what steps to take? Pixel 6 Pro.

Something like this perhaps: https://www.howtogeek.com/519142/how-to-calibrate-the-compass-on-android-to-improve-device-location-accuracy/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

LastInLine posted:

Do Not Disturb, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Mobile Data, Battery Saver, Flashlight

Half of those I use as a long press to get into settings.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

I mean, it definitionally is. Or rather was, now it's the present. In a year you'll be marched into the future again.

Used to be a complaint of mine until someone ITT pointed out that you don't need a button at all to use GPay. As long as the phone is unlocked, it works. I tried it and it's true, there's no reason at all to ever use the shortcut (which is on the lockscreen and in the QSP).

I feel like not being able to hide apps is Pixel Launcher's greatest sin but still I understand, I too wish it was better but it isn't and won't ever be and Nova is a fine replacement. You know your options and you've made your choice. Material You icons, it's Google, of course it's going to be half-assed. It will never be whole-assed, that's kinda their thing. The overscroll effect is nauseating, true, but iOS has had it for a while and they don't seem to mind it. As for the aesthetics, that's just the future, man, you can't fight THE FUTURE!

No one said the future wasn't going to be annoying, I was just saying the whole point of updating all this poo poo is to update it, they aren't going to go through the trouble of doing it and then put in a toggle for "Gingerbread UI". They're going to make it and you're going to use it and that's how this works.
the two-layer clock sucks, and what sucks even more is that you get a different clock if you happen to have a notification. that doesn't make any sense. it's not progress, it's change for the sake of it and it's nonsensical, especially since when you have a notification they display a perfectly acceptable clock. give me that clock all the time

i use google pay every morning to bring up my gym barcode that i hold up to an optical scanner, not NFC

i use the flashlight, DND, auto-rotate, device control. i moved bluetooth, airplane mode and wifi toggles from the beginning but it still would be nice to have one more for the aforementioned google pay issue

it's disingenuous to say that i'm pining for gingerbread. i've been using android since 2.1 and this is the first os upgrade i can remember where there have only been downsides. i can get over (and probably get used to) the ui changes, but utility and ease of use have decreased for what i thought was fairly regular usage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I love that the clock changes when there's a notification because it's a hell of a lot easier to spot at a casual glace than a tiny icon.

I just have DnD scheduled and otherwise only touch it on rare occasions.