Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

mossyfisk posted:

Having an ebook on hand is useful for discussing minutiae. Also I reread Dune last week.
I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gabriel Grub posted:

I am sure that watching at home is a fine experience.

Insisting that watching it at home is not much different than at IMAX is incredibly embarrassing and stupid.

You are simply trying to convince yourself that you aren't missing out.

You are, but that's fine.

Over the past year and a half I honestly think it's just marketing lines you have to deliver per WB if you direct a $$$$ level movie for them. The director-equivalent of when WB marketing had Will Smith/etc. claiming all that stuff about Jared Leto (when he's already enough of an actual creep irl without the made up poo poo).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I had a great time watching it at home because I didn't have to miss a bunch of the movie taking 2 bathroom breaks, I could also turn on subtitles and hear a lot of the mumbly dialog.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

MrL_JaKiri posted:

No it isn't, the guild clearly hadn't considered it before Paul threatened it.

Explicitly because the Fremen bribe them with lots of spice!

I think you mean, "The GUILD does not take YOUR ORDERS."

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

That dude is obv high on spice.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Navigator Jazz Hands!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

the guild navigators don't actually need the spice to navigate. it's just really stressful and they need to blow off a lot of steam after.,

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

galagazombie posted:

How exactly do the Fremen bribe the Guild with spice? They don’t have the fancy shmancy carryalls and giant mobile mining rigs. They can’t possibly just be grabbing handfuls of sand and waving them in front of navigators can they?

i figured the fremen spice is small batch handmade sustainable melange, which they can do because they have vast tracks of unmonitored lands. the industrial extraction is probably way more efficient and generates incredible volume comparatively but since spice is so valuable even a little off-books spice is enough to keep the satellites off.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

how would they even have satellites without computers

have they duct taped mentats with space suits into a ball and dropped them in space

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ChubbyChecker posted:

have they duct taped mentats with space suits into a ball and dropped them in space
You could have a camera with film that someone goes and checks periodically, even if a digital video system might not have pissed off the Jihad Mind (it's just pictures, after all).

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ChubbyChecker posted:

Early spy satellites took pictures on film and dropped the results back to earth in a little capsule. The US did this from 1960 to 1976, when they started using digital transmission: https://www.spacelegalissues.com/the-history-of-spy-satellites/

The technology of the Dune universe clearly includes miniaturized electronics (consider the hunter-seeker etc.), even if there is a ban on advanced general-purpose computers. You could transmit high-quality analog images from a satellite without using a computer at all.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The appendix of Dune outlines the Butlerian Jihad as a war on thinking machines and conscious robots and quotes the thing about not making a machine in the likeness of a human mind.
There's a fair bit of difference between enough code to transmit imaging techniques taken via satellite and a computer that's indistinguishable from a human.

EDIT: And Dune Messiah has a "brainless automaton" as way of training.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 3, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The appendix of Dune outlines the Butlerian Jihad as a war on thinking machines and conscious robots and quotes the thing about not making a machine in the likeness of a human mind.

There's a fair bit of difference between enough code to transmit imaging techniques taken via satellite and a computer that's indistinguishable from a human.

well they aren't allowed to use like, Microsoft Excel either so it is a bit vague

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

when they play video games with mentats, are nipples or dick the controller

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
strictly speaking computers should be fine as long as they don't pass the turing test

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

punishedkissinger posted:

well they aren't allowed to use like, Microsoft Excel either so it is a bit vague
Remember that in the books, in the tent that they spend the night in, after reading a manual explaining the things that can fit in a Fremkit (described as iterjons, stilltent, energy caps, recaths, sandsnork, binoculars, stillsuit repkit, baradye pistol, sinkchart, filt-plugs, paracompass, maker hooks, thumpers, Fremkit, fire pillar and maybe some more things, but they aren't mentioned), Paul deduces that the Fremen have an incredibly advanced civilization that they're hiding - and that they're so rich that they are paying off the Guild in spice to keep the satellites out of the skies of Arrakis. All because they want the deep desert to be unobserved.

If you have someone who can reason that way on so few clues, you don't need LibreOffice Calc.

EDIT: And that's before Paul is a full mentat - which he never becomes, on account of being something else... a freak!

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 3, 2021

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
what about like a TI-83 calculator? is that going to get me executed by the orange catholic inquisition?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

if you need more computational power, can you connect mentats into a human centipede?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
In parallel or serial?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

that sounds pretty twisted

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Tleilaxu are coming from inside the thread.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

I'm not sure how this never crossed my mind before but, is Gaius part of Mohiams name, or is it a title? You know, like the way you might say Gaius Julius Caesar.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

adamantium|wang posted:

In parallel or serial?

human centipedes are inherently serial

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Shaddak posted:

I'm not sure how this never crossed my mind before but, is Gaius part of Mohiams name, or is it a title? You know, like the way you might say Gaius Julius Caesar.

All the Reverend Mothers seem to take a Latin male pronomen up until God Emperor, but the practice has ceased by the time of Heretics. I don’t think it’s a title. we never see the same name used twice that I can think of. But it may well signify Reverend Motherhood that you have one, since Jessica doesn’t. Maybe based on a practice in some orders of real-world Catholic nuns, where they can take a male saint’s name upon joining (think Sister Michael on Derry Girls) though I don’t think it’s ever considered obligatory.

skasion fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 3, 2021

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

euphronius posted:

DV’s obsession with people seeing this theaters was strange . It was fine on a tv. I guess he gets less money with less box office idk

In IMAX the sound was so good I thought I was getting schizophrenia. loving spectacular.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

My head turning to spot a worm on the corner of the giant screen....man it was great.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

ChubbyChecker posted:

if you need more computational power, can you connect mentats into a human centipede?
well at least we'd know what about the poo

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Shaddak posted:

Gaius was a very common Roman first name (derived from Gaea).

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I watched it in IMAX and a regular theater, and in the regular theatre I was able to make out way more dialog. The Litany of Fear for example was inaudible in the IMAX showing I saw.

One question for TV-watchers, how did they mix the Voice? In IMAX they did it by ducking the sound completely and pushing the vocals through IMAX-sized subwoofers, but that wouldn't work for TV that might not have such a bass channel, so they must have done something different. At the very least you're missing out on a cool IMAX effect.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ChubbyChecker posted:

Along the same lines, how many mentats do you need for a decent Bitcoin mining rig?

Trying to fund my invasion of Arrakis without dipping into 60 years of spice profits

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They could have a guy in a satellite radioing in info

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

euphronius posted:

They could have a guy in a satellite radioing in info

Showing the corpse of the dude the Harkonnens sealed into the wall was one of my favorite shots of the movie. I bet, as he was laying there, waiting for the Atriedes to arrive, he thought, "Maybe a machine in the likeness of a human mind should be doing this".

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Admiralty Flag posted:

Along the same lines, how many mentats do you need for a decent Bitcoin mining rig?

Trying to fund my invasion of Arrakis without dipping into 60 years of spice profits

Budget for year 10191: (Harkonnen)

Black goo - 5 solarii
Suspensor batteries - 8 solarii
10 legions of Saudaukar - 5,000,000,000 solarii

Please help with my budget my house is dying.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
At home with a decent sound system, the Voice is the same, they drive the dialog hard over the bass channel and it sounds incredible.

I have a 7.X system so my viewing, twice now, at home has been very good.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

priznat posted:

Budget for year 10191: (Harkonnen)

Black goo - 5 solarii
Suspensor batteries - 8 solarii
10 legions of Saudaukar - 5,000,000,000 solarii

Please help with my budget my house is dying.

Spend less on heart-plugged slaves

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

NmareBfly posted:

i figured the fremen spice is small batch handmade sustainable melange, which they can do because they have vast tracks of unmonitored lands. the industrial extraction is probably way more efficient and generates incredible volume comparatively but since spice is so valuable even a little off-books spice is enough to keep the satellites off.

Edric. Step into my office.

This is panda. From Harg Pass. Very good stuff.

And that's bava. Different, but equally good.

And that is choco. From the mountains near Sietch Tabr. Now the first two are the same. $300b a kilo. These are friend prices. But this one, is a little more expensive. This is $500b a kilo. But...when you gas it. You will know where that extra money went. Now there's nothing wrong with these two, this is real, real good poo poo. But this one is a loving madman.

Remember, I just got back from Ix.

Am I an offworlder? Are we in Arakeen?

No.

You're in my sietch. Now Fremen who know the difference between good poo poo and bad poo poo? This is the sietch they come to. Now, my poo poo? I'll take the Pepsi challenge with that Ixian poo poo. Any old day of the fuckin week.

That's a bold statement.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Bubblyblubber posted:

Spend less on heart-plugged slaves

Never!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
So crazy tinfoil hat theory I’ve had awhile.
1: We learn the worms were mysteriously introduced from another world by agents unknown.
2: The Spice is suspiciously convenient in all the things it provides to human biology.
3: A big theme of the books is the “Prescience Trap” where prescience inevitably leads to stagnation and extinction.
4: Spice is highly and lethally addictive so you can’t just stop even if you realize the prescience trap.
Conclusion: the prescience trap is a literal trap. The Worms and Spice are a poison chalice designed by Leto II’s “great enemy” from his visions to lure in and cripple/kill species.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Roko's basilisk is literal 400 meter worms led by a prosthetic interspecies penis murdering billions across the galaxy. Yeah, this tracks actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

galagazombie posted:

So crazy tinfoil hat theory I’ve had awhile.
1: We learn the worms were mysteriously introduced from another world by agents unknown.
2: The Spice is suspiciously convenient in all the things it provides to human biology.
3: A big theme of the books is the “Prescience Trap” where prescience inevitably leads to stagnation and extinction.
4: Spice is highly and lethally addictive so you can’t just stop even if you realize the prescience trap.
Conclusion: the prescience trap is a literal trap. The Worms and Spice are a poison chalice designed by Leto II’s “great enemy” from his visions to lure in and cripple/kill species.
This also fits in with the Golden Path being chiefly about producing humans that are invisible to prescience.