Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

peter gabriel posted:

This is true, when I am not playing games it feels like I am playing starc tizren, and that's why people are always telling me to cheer up, thangs aren't that surely?

…and also why you should spend all you money on [thing] and stop asking annoying questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Time_pants posted:

Something is up. I don't know what, but something is definitely up. I cannot believe that this is still having record-setting months and potentially its second-best year now, 10 years on, with that joke of a Citcon, progress slowing to a trickle, people getting their valuables permanently stolen, etc. There is something fishy about the money. I don't know what it is, but I can't imagine that even a community as stupid and deluded as Citizens still pumping that sort of money into the Star Citizen ecosystem year after year. Come the gently caress on.

Nah, Star Citizen is the perfect zeitgeist of the early 21st century/information age. Its for real, just a bunch of crazy backers getting conned.

Mind, you I don't think the typical spectrum/reddit SC fanboy gives a full picture of the nature of Star Citizen. You also have digital platforms (Youtube) where their business model is designed around facilitating fraud and false advertising (and this is the least of their evils).

The Scam Anniversary is running from Nov 19th to Nov 26th:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/18377-Countdown-To-IAE#iae-schedule

Place your bet on many dollars "worth" of JPEGs they will sell during the scam anniversary!

If there is interest, I will throw down 2 good space games and 1 city-builder game I really like.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

marumaru posted:

star citizen is very accessible to people who haven't played games in 10 years because they're already used to not playing games

:vince:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Tangentically related to Star Citizen, but Bloomberg has an article on the future of NFTs in games, that is, well...

https://kotaku.com/mario-kart-nft-idea-is-the-worst-thing-i-have-ever-read-1847977673

quote:

Imagine being able to earn money by playing Mario Kart, that indefatigable Nintendo spinoff series from the pre-internet Super Mario. You wouldn’t have to be all that good at it. You wouldn’t have to play it 24/7. Because, in this mind experiment, you get to be Mario for as long as you like. You get to be him because you own him.

Because your Mario is an NFT, he’s impossible to duplicate. You and you alone own him. And because you own Mario, your go-kart is always better and faster than the ones piloted by other familiar faces in the Mushroom Kingdom like Luigi, Toad and Princess Peach. So off you go, earning the kingdom’s digital money – Mariocoins, let’s call them.

Given market economics, you might have to pay more for NFT Mario than for, say, NFT Peach. But then you’d also earn more, because here in the Mushroom Kingdom, Mario is the fastest player. When you step out of the game and back into your day job, you still own Mario. When you start playing again, Mario is there, waiting for you. Waiting to earn you Mariocoins.

You can sell Mario to another player if you like. If you’ve played Mario right, he might be worth more now than when you bought him. Maybe you’ve demonstrated how lucrative Mario can be. Maybe more people want to play Mario Kart. Maybe Mariocoin has soared in value because everybody is talking about it on social media.

This, in a large nutshell, is what GameFi evangelists are trying to build.

:eng99:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Tangentically related to Star Citizen, but Bloomberg has an article on the future of NFTs in games, that is, well...

https://kotaku.com/mario-kart-nft-idea-is-the-worst-thing-i-have-ever-read-1847977673

:eng99:

The idea that you can't duplicate an NFT is the stupidest loving thing. An NFT is like having a receipt that can't be duplicated, but the thing itself has no actual copy protection. And having something like a scarcity economy within an online game system has always been possible, you don't need the blockchain for it, just server-side authentification.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Suggesting monitors with external head tracking is 'like' or better than VR makes no sense. Unless you have tried VR you will not understand what it means to be fully immersed, stereoscopic 3D is not possible on 2D monitors, you can never have the experience of feeling that something is physically present in front of you. You can never have the feeling of looking directly into someone's eyes on a 2D screen, seeing/feeling your height compared to theirs. I have a 48 inch 4K screen with WCG/HDR it doesn't compare at all.

I have the Pimax 4K and I used it with VorpX for Star Citizen in full 3D geometry mode. The scale is breath-taking, turning around to look behind you, looking up above you etc cannot happen with a 2D monitor. Unless you can fix that 32 inch IPS monitor to your head so that it moves as you crane your neck back to look up at the huge skyscrapers on ArcCorp or turn around to look behind you, you simply won't get anywhere near the same experience with a monitor and head tracking as with VR.

I now have the Pimax 5K Plus ruggedised (as well as the Pimax 4K). I haven't tried it with Star Citizen yet, but the difference between it and my Pimax 4K is an obvious generational leap.

As an aside, if you have a mobile phone with a screen size of 6 inches and a pixel depth of 400+ Pixels Per Inch you can get a Google cardboard type headset for as little as $10 once you have that head on over to iruin.com and download their free VR software for mobile and PC. Once you have the PC and Phone paired Steam will recognise it as a VR headset with full 360x360 degree head tracking. It's a dirt cheap entry level taster for the VR experience. Watch a few VR videos with Steam's built in player. If you like the ladies that smile a lot, there are loads of free VR 'samples' out there. If you have any type of VR capable headset (including the phone) then you should definitely spend $10 and get Virtual Desktop from Steam. It is worth it's weight in gold. You can watch Youtube VR content on your phone without the need for a PC... check out the AirPano channel.

Referring to the OP's question. Chris Roberts is a big VR fan and he definitely wants to be able to play Star Citizen and Squadron 42 in full VR. He has hired staff whose job is to make that happen. One of them responds to questions about VR in the 'Ask A Dev' section in Spectrum on the RSI website.

Those who say that Star Citizen performance is not good enough for gameplay right now are correct - even for Gen11 the game is not optimised, but we are getting the Gen12 render tech starting late this year and into next year. This will make a big difference to the performance of even moderately powerful graphics hardware. Vulkan will see the greatest gains: 50 - 100% improvement, for those with AMD GPU's but NVidia GPU's will also see marked gains in the 20 - 30% range - and FSR/DLSS will improve matters, and improve over time. Once Gen12 and Vulkan are in place general performance will only improve over time as Vulkan also increases the performance of the CPU threads.

TL:DR - VR is coming to Star Citizen and Squadron42, definitely... because Chris wants it and has planned for it. Current performance is no indicator of future possibilities, the game is still in very early stage Alpha.

.random
May 7, 2007

I’m assuming this is from 7+ years ago

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The idea that you can't duplicate an NFT is the stupidest loving thing. An NFT is like having a receipt that can't be duplicated, but the thing itself has no actual copy protection. And having something like a scarcity economy within an online game system has always been possible, you don't need the blockchain for it, just server-side authentification.

Yeah, whenever people try to integrate crypto and blockchain stuff into something like gaming, the first thing I always ask is, couldn't you do this without any of that? And the answer is always yes, and it's always much easier.

The difference being that you can't speculate on the price of limited-scarcity IAP (generally). That's what it comes back to. The only real use case is always gambling/stock trading.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

skeletors_condom posted:

Nah, Star Citizen is the perfect zeitgeist of the early 21st century/information age. Its for real, just a bunch of crazy backers getting conned.

Mind, you I don't think the typical spectrum/reddit SC fanboy gives a full picture of the nature of Star Citizen. You also have digital platforms (Youtube) where their business model is designed around facilitating fraud and false advertising (and this is the least of their evils).

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/18377-Countdown-To-IAE#iae-schedule

Place your bet on many dollars "worth" of JPEGs they will sell during the scam anniversary!

If there is interest, I will throw down 2 good space games and 1 city-builder game I really like.

Alright, deal me in.

$1,069,420.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Mirificus posted:

Suggesting monitors with external head tracking is 'like' or better than VR makes no sense. Unless you have tried VR you will not understand what it means to be fully immersed, stereoscopic 3D is not possible on 2D monitors, you can never have the experience of feeling that something is physically present in front of you. You can never have the feeling of looking directly into someone's eyes on a 2D screen, seeing/feeling your height compared to theirs. I have a 48 inch 4K screen with WCG/HDR it doesn't compare at all.

I have the Pimax 4K and I used it with VorpX for Star Citizen in full 3D geometry mode. The scale is breath-taking, turning around to look behind you, looking up above you etc cannot happen with a 2D monitor. Unless you can fix that 32 inch IPS monitor to your head so that it moves as you crane your neck back to look up at the huge skyscrapers on ArcCorp or turn around to look behind you, you simply won't get anywhere near the same experience with a monitor and head tracking as with VR.

I now have the Pimax 5K Plus ruggedised (as well as the Pimax 4K). I haven't tried it with Star Citizen yet, but the difference between it and my Pimax 4K is an obvious generational leap.

As an aside, if you have a mobile phone with a screen size of 6 inches and a pixel depth of 400+ Pixels Per Inch you can get a Google cardboard type headset for as little as $10 once you have that head on over to iruin.com and download their free VR software for mobile and PC. Once you have the PC and Phone paired Steam will recognise it as a VR headset with full 360x360 degree head tracking. It's a dirt cheap entry level taster for the VR experience. Watch a few VR videos with Steam's built in player. If you like the ladies that smile a lot, there are loads of free VR 'samples' out there. If you have any type of VR capable headset (including the phone) then you should definitely spend $10 and get Virtual Desktop from Steam. It is worth it's weight in gold. You can watch Youtube VR content on your phone without the need for a PC... check out the AirPano channel.

Referring to the OP's question. Chris Roberts is a big VR fan and he definitely wants to be able to play Star Citizen and Squadron 42 in full VR. He has hired staff whose job is to make that happen. One of them responds to questions about VR in the 'Ask A Dev' section in Spectrum on the RSI website.

Those who say that Star Citizen performance is not good enough for gameplay right now are correct - even for Gen11 the game is not optimised, but we are getting the Gen12 render tech starting late this year and into next year. This will make a big difference to the performance of even moderately powerful graphics hardware. Vulkan will see the greatest gains: 50 - 100% improvement, for those with AMD GPU's but NVidia GPU's will also see marked gains in the 20 - 30% range - and FSR/DLSS will improve matters, and improve over time. Once Gen12 and Vulkan are in place general performance will only improve over time as Vulkan also increases the performance of the CPU threads.

TL:DR - VR is coming to Star Citizen and Squadron42, definitely... because Chris wants it and has planned for it. Current performance is no indicator of future possibilities, the game is still in very early stage Alpha.

TL:TL:DR No it isn't, enjoy the mind crushing headaches of sub 30frames across your VR goggle of choice and that the game has absolutely zero optimizations or structural code to support VR.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

skeletors_condom posted:

Since they are pretty much head-to-head in earnings this year when compared with 2020 and things must go up, uP, UP! then they need to make at least 18 million this month (unless they shift more earnings into december). They make around 140k per day so they'll get ~2m before the anniversary sale and ~1m afterwards. So, during this sale they'll have to hit around 15 million in sales. (:laffo:)

My guess is therefore :carol: $14,918,072 :carol:

Mirificus posted:

Best.armor.ever!

Forgot to mention that the armor looks like this

Nice to see that Bibendum is still doing fine in a thousand years.

The expert's opinions are in!

trucutru fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 3, 2021

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Have we talked about server meshing being dead already? Just saw some tweets about it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/notasnervous/status/1455785440045371392

https://twitter.com/notasnervous/status/1455790195220037635

https://twitter.com/notasnervous/status/1455786107854020609

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

But what's the source

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

HAHAHAHA, get hosed.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

This is old news, isn't it? Didn't we learn it like last week or something? And all the citizens are ok with it because they're still "building towards" one universe or something.

Edit: I think we learned about this as far back as Citcon.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 3, 2021

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

skeletors_condom posted:

My heart wants to go with a reasonable number, my brain wants to look back at whatever their yearly sales are this year versus last year and give a number that will make this year more successful, but my laziness says "just come up with a number that seems ridiculously high, then go higher than that, because nothing about this ever makes any kind of sense anyway."

So I'm gonna say....a cool $8 million is what they're gonna claim to have raked in by the end of this. :(

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Daztek posted:

But what's the source

Lack of hellos are to protect the innocent.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Oh no, they removed Dynamic Door Alignment - Vehicles. Game over.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

The money will continue to flow as it looks more and more like Russian money laundering at this point. I think it was the grey market showing lots of Russian transactions?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Daztek posted:

But what's the source
That hello leak from six months ago lmao

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheAgent posted:

That hello leak from six months ago lmao

Didn't this all get detailed at this year's Citcon, though?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Gravity_Storm posted:

The money will continue to flow as it looks more and more like Russian money laundering at this point. I think it was the grey market showing lots of Russian transactions?
Correct, 7 out of 10 of the major sellers on SCtrades are Russian, according to that doc passed around last year. One had rolling inventory of over $200k lol

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

TheAgent posted:

Correct, 7 out of 10 of the major sellers on SCtrades are Russian, according to that doc passed around last year. One had rolling inventory of over $200k lol

That's kind of amazing given that average pay there is like x10 less than the US; not hard to come to the laundering conclusion.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Didn't this all get detailed at this year's Citcon, though?

No, in citcon they just said that they would start (as usual) with a t0 implementation which meant static servers and then shift into the dynamic ones later.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

hey cig now you can cancel squadron 505, this is clearly a community "vote". just throw it out the window, the community will even thank you for it! let them know that you really wanted to finish it and "get it into their hands asap" but that now you deleted the folder with the entire gamefiles (and you emptied the recycle bin just afterwards)

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
These people don't understand that SQ42 will bring a revolution in gaming, a whole new genre of mess hall games.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

That said, resources are starting to roll off SQ42 as certain teams are no longer required. I think the Ship/Vehicle Team is a good/possible example. According to the Progress Tracker they finished the Vanduul Gold Standard ships a few months ago. And now we are seeing the benefit: large number of ships rolling out at the same time, with many more Unannounced ships being worked on. All those Ship people are pouring work into SC and no longer SQ42.

I think we'll soon see the Content/Level teams roll off SQ42 and into Pyro, Nyx in a big way, because if you look at PT, all the work on SQ42 "Chapters" level design are finishing by Q4/Q1.

These teams still have to jump in to fix things or make things for SQ42, but the bulk of their work is done, and this is why we are seeing huge output coming out from certain teams. And so on.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'd be very surprised if SQ42 is taking resources from anything at all, it seems much more likely the parts that make money (i.e. SHIPS SHIPS SHIPS) have gobbled up resources from everything else and will continue to do so. If SQ42 had progress they'd have shown it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'd be very surprised if SQ42 is taking resources from anything at all, it seems much more likely the parts that make money (i.e. SHIPS SHIPS SHIPS) have gobbled up resources from everything else and will continue to do so. If SQ42 had progress they'd have shown it.

SQ42 takes the one resource that matters most: studio time so CRobber can play movie director.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

skeletors_condom posted:

Ah gently caress I never hit the good hits, so this time, all on Red baby, gonna go high:

25 million.

Also I think I've said it last year, but this is more of a game than Star Citizen is.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

skeletors_condom posted:

Last November was like 17mil. They’ve got to beat that, so I’ll go for:

A tidy $18 million

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

skeletors_condom posted:

21 million american dollars $$$$

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
$987 billion

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

haldolium posted:

not just because of the tech though. You can't put 50 players in a tiny room and have a great experience with fps mechanics which haven't changed since they were invented. It's just a clusterfuck.

I see you too have fond memories of Operation Metro.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

marumaru posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE4nhtODB_M

oh.

(tldw because he saves this for way later in the video than necessary: NFT robots.)

I'm legit mad about the NFT part because the rest sounds loving great

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
See inventions are supposed to solve problems but the thing about blockchain is that it only solves imaginary libertarian anarcho-capitalist problems. And I figured out anarcho-capitalism wouldn't work when I was 12 years old reading Spider-Man 2099

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lammasu posted:

See inventions are supposed to solve problems but the thing about blockchain is that it only solves imaginary libertarian anarcho-capitalist problems. And I figured out anarcho-capitalism wouldn't work when I was 12 years old reading Spider-Man 2099

It solves the problem of how to get more investment/research funding!

Thing is that we're already constrained in the physical sense (which is why we have billionaires looking at space) and investments *have* to grow forever so, in a sense, investing in virtual things is actually less noxious than the alternatives, since you can actually create "value" out of nothing. But of course, since we're dumb as all gently caress, we have managed to combine real world waste with the production of mostly useless virtual world tokens, which is the worst of both worlds.

But people spending shitloads of money on NFTs or whatever? Better than them spending that same money on deforesting the Amazon, buying a new sports car, or other more traditional venues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

skeletors_condom posted:

$2,222,229

Dayum boy!

Dayum boy!!

DAYUM BOY!!!!

THAT'S A THICC-rear end BOY!!