Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Nah, the reverse camera was always bugged whether you had the Prawn module or not. IIRC I could see basically to infinity through it at times.

You didn't see the water itself, which was something of an exploit, but oh was it useful for seeing just how close the Leviathan's jaws are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Section Z posted:

The Seatruck tries, but it really does feel plagued with :effort: even at it's best and most enjoyable moments. Even if the Cyclops never existed to compare it's current function.

I feel the opposite, in my opinion the cyclops is just awful. It looks cool and if Subnautica was a multiplayer game it would probably be better, but as it is you just wish you could use the seamoth instead.

The seatruck isn’t great, but alone it’s almost as good as the seamoth, and it’s a less bad alternative to the cyclops.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Lunar Suite posted:

You mean the feeling of running yourself over? There's a loud amusing BONK as you lose 80% of your health. Incidentally, you were trying to conquer your fear of reaper leviathan, so there's one now.
Oops. He instakills you. You ran yourself over and served yourself as roadkill.
SEAMOTH.

the bonk sound effect when you run over fish IS better in OG than BZ

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

LonsomeSon posted:

Yeah the answer is "subnautica 2, with both a dorsal seamoth bay on the Cyclops and the sea truck. Take away the cargo compartments for the moth, or allow it to only equip one, and add some scouting poo poo to it. A better version of the SeaGlide's terrain sonar, kinds of torpedoes which are interesting or cool or worth building ever, an auto-mapping module? something which creates, like, a 30-second version of the gravity trap, so you can stick 2-3 of them to cave ceilings and swim out to gather all the poo poo up

Also the map is a 20-30% greater 2d cross-section, and 50% deeper as well.

Yes I also want all the things.

I've also always wanted a surface ship. (With a camera underneath obviously.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oasx posted:

I feel the opposite, in my opinion the cyclops is just awful. It looks cool and if Subnautica was a multiplayer game it would probably be better, but as it is you just wish you could use the seamoth instead.

The seatruck isn’t great, but alone it’s almost as good as the seamoth, and it’s a less bad alternative to the cyclops.

The Cyclops isn't just a bigger Seamoth though, it's a mobile forward base. Load it with stuff, drive it where you need to get, and use the Seamoth or Prawn Suit onsite. More power in the subcraft to work, and anything you need fabricated can be done onsite.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Cyclops isn't just a bigger Seamoth though, it's a mobile forward base. Load it with stuff, drive it where you need to get, and use the Seamoth or Prawn Suit onsite. More power in the subcraft to work, and anything you need fabricated can be done onsite.

If you end up with the thermal charger module, then you're literally all set, you can do everything in the Cyclops.

I think my next playthrough might be Cyclops-only. Meaning that once I can build it, I'll just use it as a base and dismantle anything else I've built.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If you end up with the thermal charger module, then you're literally all set, you can do everything in the Cyclops.

I think my next playthrough might be Cyclops-only. Meaning that once I can build it, I'll just use it as a base and dismantle anything else I've built.

It's worth keeping a small outpost with grow beds for some annoyances like blood oil, and the aerogel plant imo. I was living out of my Cyclops too, but it still helped to have a garden base to farm stuff I'd waste time hunting for otherwise.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's worth keeping a small outpost with grow beds for some annoyances like blood oil, and the aerogel plant imo. I was living out of my Cyclops too, but it still helped to have a garden base to farm stuff I'd waste time hunting for otherwise.

True, but you could just have those set up out in the open water, right? I'm saying (and I should have clarified) that the Cyclops will be my only dry interior space underwater. No rooms, no tubes built... All cyclops, all the time.

And now I'm realizing that that means no scanner room, so I'm starting to regret this plan of action.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

True, but you could just have those set up out in the open water, right? I'm saying (and I should have clarified) that the Cyclops will be my only dry interior space underwater. No rooms, no tubes built... All cyclops, all the time.

And now I'm realizing that that means no scanner room, so I'm starting to regret this plan of action.

Good luck finding Stalker Teeth! :v:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’m surprised there isn’t a mod to make like a short-range scanner (maybe 150-200m?) that plugs into the Cyclops upgrade console.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Icon Of Sin posted:

I’m surprised there isn’t a mod to make like a short-range scanner (maybe 150-200m?) that plugs into the Cyclops upgrade console.

There is a modded SeaTruck module that has its own batteries and eats through them in minutes.
I'd hate to see how fast one on the Cyclops does.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you really want to be nomadic then use some of the storage space in your cyclops/truck to hold the inputs for a basic scanner room setup. Assemble and disassemble as needed.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Speaking of storage space, did anyone actually use the quantum lockers in BZ? The description made them sound interesting, but the materials to build them seemed too annoying, so I didn't bother.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I feel like there are very few recipes I didn't use in the OG, air pumps and the emergency surface balloon being the only two. Meanwhile I feel like I didn't use a full half of the recipes in BZ or even really see a point in them given how small the map was and how quickly survival became a mild annoyance rather than a major concern.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

withak posted:

If you really want to be nomadic then use some of the storage space in your cyclops/truck to hold the inputs for a basic scanner room setup. Assemble and disassemble as needed.

Lol I did just this in below zero (but then never needed it because well... it's below zero)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

by the time i get the crap to make a usefully working scanner room i feel like i never need it. i think i set it to creature eggs at some point because those are always in weird crevices but that's a late-game stalling-the-ending vanity kind of thing. honestly cyclops only sounds pretty rad. i think the ideal might be spawning in a cyclops instead of emergency pod and it's all damaged and on fire so you can't actually move it until you do some crafting, repair, and gathering.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Academic question since I play on PS4, but that mod that ups the difficulty and makes the air poison and all...how do you survive the early game?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I assume you survive solely by sucking the air out of raw bladderfish

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

GD_American posted:

Academic question since I play on PS4, but that mod that ups the difficulty and makes the air poison and all...how do you survive the early game?

LOTS of short trips :suicide:

I like to set it to let me breathe outside air pre-explosion. Post-explosion is an irradiated wasteland above water, even after the leaks are fixed :colbert:

Speaking of the explosion…using the console commands and triggering the explosion while you’re down at the very deepest point is kind of weird. The bass and vibration of the detonation still reaches you. Even if you didn’t know what you had triggered, you would know that sometime big happened.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yeah I was down in the mushroom caverns one time when it went off, it was dope. In general it’s a lot cooler if you’re not looking at the Auroroa.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

LonsomeSon posted:

Yeah I was down in the mushroom caverns one time when it went off, it was dope. In general it’s a lot cooler if you’re not looking at the Auroroa.

The first time I got the message about the explosion I was far away from my pod. I dove as deep as I could and took cover behind a hill in a little crevice. The water rushing past effect was pretty great.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Omnicarus posted:

I feel like there are very few recipes I didn't use in the OG, air pumps and the emergency surface balloon being the only two. Meanwhile I feel like I didn't use a full half of the recipes in BZ or even really see a point in them given how small the map was and how quickly survival became a mild annoyance rather than a major concern.

The pipes seem neat on paper, but from my experience by the time you're going deep enough that they'd be useful you should have a Seamoth and negate their existence altogether.

Khanstant posted:

by the time i get the crap to make a usefully working scanner room i feel like i never need it. i think i set it to creature eggs at some point because those are always in weird crevices but that's a late-game stalling-the-ending vanity kind of thing. honestly cyclops only sounds pretty rad. i think the ideal might be spawning in a cyclops instead of emergency pod and it's all damaged and on fire so you can't actually move it until you do some crafting, repair, and gathering.

Rip out five of the power cells, and give yourself the thermal reactor mod. You won't get new Cells for a while, and you've got barely enough power to do anything but sit still. As you can start making new ones, your operating range slowly increases.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
only time i used pipes was to speed run getting the multi purpose room in the jellycaves early before i had a seamoth

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

star eater posted:

only time i used pipes was to speed run getting the multi purpose room in the jellycaves early before i had a seamoth

You don't even need to do that; Just go to the floating island.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You don't even need to do that; Just go to the floating island.

I didn't know where it was! I knew where the caves were. lol

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The floating island and the weapons platform are able to be identified on the surface by some hazy looking clouds on the horizon that don’t move like the skybox clouds. It’s a bit tricky at first but once you know what to look for they can both be located at any time.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I'm always looking for that next open-world survival craft game to scratch the Subnautica itch. Looks like this one's getting some buzz:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/897730/Among_Trees/

Anybody heard about it? Comes out in 5 days or so.

I like that it looks peaceful and serene. Probably until a bear tries to chomp your head off though.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 4, 2021

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Cartoon Man posted:

I'm always looking for that next open-world survival craft game to scratch the Subnautica itch. Looks like this one's getting some buzz:

I like that it looks peaceful and serene. Probably until a bear tries to chomp your head off though.

It looks relaxing, but I havent seen any videos on it in a good year or so.
So dont know what may have changed.
You can watch Lets plays from Splattercat and Wanderbots from last year for a feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjAOJwdVGIA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCPAWTQefcI

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

Among Trees is kind of a dead game, the devs haven't really updated or fixed anything in months and the official forums for the game are pretty much barren. You have about an hour of content in the game and that's it. I think the general take is that it was a EGS money grab that fell flat and now they are releasing it on steam as one last cash grab.

For instance, the sun is broken in the game and goes up and down in the same direction. It literally goes to mid way in the sky then bizarrely circles back to exactly where it started. The compass it also broken and points in the wrong direction for parts of the day so good luck trying to get anywhere using the compass and map.

edit: The devs released a note that they feel the game is complete and are just going to do bugfixes until December then move on to other things. If that's the case I'd strongly recommend avoiding the game, it need significantly more work than just a patch to be enjoyable.

Omnicarus fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 4, 2021

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

That’s disappointing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Omnicarus posted:

Among Trees is kind of a dead game, the devs haven't really updated or fixed anything in months and the official forums for the game are pretty much barren. You have about an hour of content in the game and that's it. I think the general take is that it was a EGS money grab that fell flat and now they are releasing it on steam as one last cash grab.

For instance, the sun is broken in the game and goes up and down in the same direction. It literally goes to mid way in the sky then bizarrely circles back to exactly where it started. The compass it also broken and points in the wrong direction for parts of the day so good luck trying to get anywhere using the compass and map.

edit: The devs released a note that they feel the game is complete and are just going to do bugfixes until December then move on to other things. If that's the case I'd strongly recommend avoiding the game, it need significantly more work than just a patch to be enjoyable.

I'm actually pretty sure I know what that Sun bug will be, as I've seen something similar in Unity before and it's real dumb because there's plenty of ways to not make that happen.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Cartoon Man posted:

We talked about Raft a few pages back I think, that's one my partner and I have gotten plenty of enjoyment out of.

It's nowhere near as pretty or detailed as Subnautica, but it's an enjoyable (if sorta basic) game. It's also good if you've got friends you're playing with online; the gameplay loop is such that there is plenty of downtime where you're just floating along and grabbing stuff, making sure there's enough food/water, etc between islands so you can just hang out and chat.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Ethics_Gradient posted:

We talked about Raft a few pages back I think, that's one my partner and I have gotten plenty of enjoyment out of.

It's nowhere near as pretty or detailed as Subnautica, but it's an enjoyable (if sorta basic) game. It's also good if you've got friends you're playing with online; the gameplay loop is such that there is plenty of downtime where you're just floating along and grabbing stuff, making sure there's enough food/water, etc between islands so you can just hang out and chat.

Void Train (aka The Raft 2) also looks like it could be pretty interesting in a visual sense with fantastical environments.

Subnautica has a lock on that sense of foreboding you get from descending in murky waters though.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Tetrabor posted:

Subnautica has a lock on that sense of foreboding you get from descending in murky waters though.

Abzu is a really good recommend if you enjoy the "exploring an alien ocean" part of Subnautica. It's an entirely different type of game but if going into murky unknown waters is your only criteria it can do that in spades.

On the other hand, there are tons of survival/horror games that have similar crafting systems to Subnautica, but they just don't get me excited like Subnautica does. They really nailed the tone and setting to make you feel utterly alone in a place that is beautiful and dangerous. You want to survive and go home. But even more, you want to see what is here. You're one of the first and maybe the last person to ever set eyes on this biological paradise.

Subnautica repeatedly makes it clear how distant and alone you are. It lets you know that help is not on the way and you're stranded here. What a beautiful place to be marooned...

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I wouldn’t call the water in Abzu murky, as far as I remember it was always crystal clear

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The thing that makes Subnautica the best in its genre is that it doesn’t involve chopping down trees and making a janky hut.
The base building is fun instead of being a chore.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oasx posted:

The thing that makes Subnautica the best in its genre is that it doesn’t involve chopping down trees and making a janky hut.
The base building is fun instead of being a chore.

Yes, this. Is the habitat tool unrealistic?

Yeah.

Does that matter for anyone with a normal brain?

No.

I will NEVER understand the need for overwhelming tedium in these survival games. Subnautica hits the perfect mix of "bit of tedium at first, but your advancement makes your previous methods obsolete". That's how it SHOULD be.

A broad example is how you struggle to get bladder fish at first for water, and eventually, you're picking up bottled water from a machine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yeah.

Does that matter for anyone with a normal brain?

No.

I will NEVER understand the need for overwhelming tedium in these survival games. Subnautica hits the perfect mix of "bit of tedium at first, but your advancement makes your previous methods obsolete". That's how it SHOULD be.

A broad example is how you struggle to get bladder fish at first for water, and eventually, you're picking up bottled water from a machine.

Or just how your travel range subconsciously expands as you start finding fragments. At first you're staying close to the Life Pod for survival, but then you get a proper oxygen tank with your first few bits of titanium. Then you need copper for wiring so you need to push out from your comfort zone and explore around more. And now gold, quartz and coral too out of necessity. And then you're poking around wrecks to find tool fragments. Then you're getting inside the wrecks themselves for some dangerous cave diving on limited air.

And now you're driving around in a Cyclops, with an air tank good for several minutes, deploying a Prawn Suit to investigate deep caves with the confidence of fallback bases and supplies waiting if things go bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Yeah.

Space magic means I don't gotta explain poo poo!