Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

The speed booster pinball is the greatest addition Metroid Dread added to the series and I'm so glad the video started with that :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

While that's the intended solution to that speed booster puzzle (and it's fun, and certainly the easier way), it's also possible to solve it from the other side, though the timing is very tight. You can charge up the shinespark, bomb through the block, then roll through and shinespark/ballspark diagonally. This is how I did it, though it took far too many tries and I don't recommend it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I tried that method a bunch of times, even charging the shinespark, dropping down to bomb, hopping back up to burn the shinespark on the incline and restore it, but just couldn't get in the right spot to smash them.

The intended method that I did end up falling into doing took many tries to do but drat if it isn't satisfying becoming incredibly agile death.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FeyerbrandX posted:

I tried that method a bunch of times, even charging the shinespark, dropping down to bomb, hopping back up to burn the shinespark on the incline and restore it, but just couldn't get in the right spot to smash them.

The intended method that I did end up falling into doing took many tries to do but drat if it isn't satisfying becoming incredibly agile death.

Yeah, figuring out how to not anticipate the walljump (hitting back too soon cancels the run) while then readjusting afterward to not cancel the run can be tricky. Feels great when you get it. And everyone used to old speedbooster gets their mind blown looking at it, that particular one's perfect for showing the tricks off.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, figuring out how to not anticipate the walljump (hitting back too soon cancels the run) while then readjusting afterward to not cancel the run can be tricky. Feels great when you get it. And everyone used to old speedbooster gets their mind blown looking at it, that particular one's perfect for showing the tricks off.

You don't have to hit back to walljump, just be spinjumping near a wall!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The Golux posted:

You don't have to hit back to walljump, just be spinjumping near a wall!

Yeah, but if you're not pingponging immediately you need to hit back afterward to keep the speedboost. It's a bit weird.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Dread Samus is part blue hedgehog too. Neat and that pinballing looked slick as hell.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Flash shifting and wall jumping to grab that energy part is amazing and I'm sure that's the intended way. I think I just came back later with space jump for it, and I know Vinny used IBJ and got incredibly lucky with missing the buzzsaw by like a hair.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Any way that works is the right way, Metroid Dread gives you options.

And Nat is pretty good at video games

:argh: STOP PANICING THOUGH.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Well done on collecting that 10-pack, I personally found that one of the trickiest in the game in terms of execution. I agree that forcing yourself to keep your hand completely off the L-stick is the hard part of air-sparks.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Obligatory snark: it's nice that the Castlevania Collection includes a never before seen game like Circle of the Moon.

Because of the backlight, or rather the lack thereof in the GBA.

rbakervv
Apr 1, 2008

For the Emperor!!

Bruceski posted:

Well done on collecting that 10-pack, I personally found that one of the trickiest in the game in terms of execution. I agree that forcing yourself to keep your hand completely off the L-stick is the hard part of air-sparks.

That's actually doing it the hard way, if you just roll the into the left most space, on top of the beam blocks, then shine-spark DOWN-RIGHT, you will bust through the beam blocks, and the speed blocks. Remember, you can shine-spark in ball form, and in all eight directions, and beam blocks can be destroyed by any attack..

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Alternatively, you can also just run into that cold room right next to the missiles and charge a shinespark from there if you want the easy path.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Alternatively, you can also just run into that cold room right next to the missiles and charge a shinespark from there if you want the easy path.

Or from below, which is how I did it. I really like the flexibility in a lot of those puzzles according to personal preference. It means that as long as you have some understanding of the toolbox some of the puzzles are less "how do you do this" and more "how I did it."

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 6, 2021

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Yorkshire Tea, last episode: Shine Spark Puzzles are the best.
Yorkshire Tea, this episode: Ooooooh heck.

That is a fun puzzle though.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

So yeah that scene is I think a pretty consequential scene for Metroid and I think they did a really good job with it.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Other M Samus: "I don't breathe without Adam's authorization"

Dread Samus: "Don't worry, bird dad I just met, I got this"

I'm exaggerating Other M but gently caress yeah THIS is how Samus should be on the job.

What was that boss (? miniboss maybe?) a Chozo warrior robot?
Lastly I'm worried about Samus' hand glowing there, it didn't look like she did it consciously.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Omobono posted:

I'm exaggerating Other M but gently caress yeah THIS is how Samus should be on the job.

What was that boss (? miniboss maybe?) a Chozo warrior robot?
Lastly I'm worried about Samus' hand glowing there, it didn't look like she did it consciously.

It's definitely and a miniboss and it's a robot chozo warrior developed to not be vulnerable to X. You can see them being made in the background in some area or another.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
If the EMMIs remain deactivated I will eat my hat. What's stopping Raven Beak from just reactivating them, now that Quiet Robe is dead? Nothing, I presume. So I do look forward to Samus coming into contact with a deactivated EMMI, only for it to power up in a cutscene.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Just as well that you passed up on that missile tank. That's not a Shinespark puzzle.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Quackles posted:

Just as well that you passed up on that missile tank. That's not a Shinespark puzzle.

You CAN do it with a shinespark,... note the CAN

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Omobono posted:

The body language as well. She's had sharp reactions before, but when she whips around to point at Quiet Robe you can feel the panic in a way that doesn't actually make her action sloppy. And then she relaxes. Every time a silent protagonist is done well people re-emphasize that no voice doesn't mean no personality, and that's really apparent in this game.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I too liked how with how most of her expressions in cutscenes are "shoot progressively stronger artillery" at things, it was nice to see her able to recognize a non-threat and relax.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Thinking about it, it makes sense that the Chozo would be able to control metroids in some way. When a threat like the X forces you to the drawing board to create an unstoppable terror weapon inserting a backdoor or two (and a crippling ice weakness for good measure) is just good sense.

The space pirates and Mother Brain were somewhat able to control metroids as well (emphasis on somewhat), so the metroid creators ought to as well.

They also had the very good idea of giving control to a scholar tribe and not a warrior tribe. Of course the warriors can wedgie the nerds as shown by Raven Beak but eh, I don't think you can idiot proof this particular scenario.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

It took me until this cutscene to realize that Samus' suit no longer covers her neck, which explains why the EMMIs are able to kill her so easily.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Meaty Ore posted:

It took me until this cutscene to realize that Samus' suit no longer covers her neck, which explains why the EMMIs are able to kill her so easily.

This is something that really bothers me, especially because I think it's actually some kind of animation error in this specific cutscene. If you look at Samus throughout the rest of the game, including in other cutscenes, she does have plating covering that area (and it isn't flesh-coloured either).

Something's really off here (honestly, it might even just be an issue with the models, it kind of looks like she's clipping through the suit?) and I find it incredibly distracting, which is unfortunate during such an important scene.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Explopyro posted:

This is something that really bothers me, especially because I think it's actually some kind of animation error in this specific cutscene. If you look at Samus throughout the rest of the game, including in other cutscenes, she does have plating covering that area (and it isn't flesh-coloured either).

Something's really off here (honestly, it might even just be an issue with the models, it kind of looks like she's clipping through the suit?) and I find it incredibly distracting, which is unfortunate during such an important scene.
If it isn't a mistake, it's extremely stupid - just about the last thing you'd want to do on an unexplored hostile planet is expose your skin.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Explopyro posted:

It's the lighting engine for this scene/area specifically that's the culprit. The way it shines on the neck part of the armor makes it look like there's no armor there, because the sun is blazing through the windows in the background.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Back at in Samus Returns the ending Chozo memories that were adapted here. When they created the Metroids they initially preformed perfectly, however when they started metamorphosing into the other Metroid forms the Thoha could no longer control them, which seems to be when they called the Mawkin in to help.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Omobono posted:

They also had the very good idea of giving control to a scholar tribe and not a warrior tribe. Of course the warriors can wedgie the nerds as shown by Raven Beak but eh, I don't think you can idiot proof this particular scenario.

I don't think they could wedgie the scholars because the scholars can control Metroids. That kind of would make it difficult for the warrior tribes to exert any power over the scholar tribes that can just say "Go get 'em boys."

Once all the Metroids were extinct, though, Raven Beak only needed one alive for Samus.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Twelve by Pies posted:

I don't think they could wedgie the scholars because the scholars can control Metroids. That kind of would make it difficult for the warrior tribes to exert any power over the scholar tribes that can just say "Go get 'em boys."

Once all the Metroids were extinct, though, Raven Beak only needed one alive for Samus.

Well no the Samus plan did not come around until after Fusion. And he appeared to have wiped out the Thoha probably prior to Metroid 1. And he only did it after they were telling him the plan to wipe out the Metroids. And he kept one alive.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 7, 2021

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Also to think about is that after Raven Beak decides to leave just one nerd alive to corral the metroids, it turns out EVERY SINGLE ONE of his underlings got infected by an X-Parasite, and Raven Beak then without Metroid powers mind you, stops and contains them. Which would also explain the state of the facility, there are two whole Chozo left in the place trying to keep the lights on

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Why does obtaining a DNA sample from Samus involve firing a massive spike through her torso? Couldn't he have just hired someone to steal her coffee cup? Or paid off her hairdresser?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

AtomikKrab posted:

Also to think about is that after Raven Beak decides to leave just one nerd alive to corral the metroids, it turns out EVERY SINGLE ONE of his underlings got infected by an X-Parasite, and Raven Beak then without Metroid powers mind you, stops and contains them. Which would also explain the state of the facility, there are two whole Chozo left in the place trying to keep the lights on

I mean, the rule of X parasites is that if you have one X-parasite on your hands, you're about to have 9999 more X-parasites to deal with.

How on earth did Raven Beak put that catastrophe back in the box?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Combining this with the Chozo Memories from Samus Returns I think the timeline is:

--Thoha arrive on SR388, need to deal with X, create Metroids.
--Control over more evolved Metroids seems to be worse, and under attack they begin to evacuate, sealing the planet in stasis gel as they do so.
--They rendezvous with the Mawkin on the surface, thinking them rescuers. Raven Beak kills most of them.
--Raven Beak starts trying to get through the stasis gel, we have to assume it was Thoha(and Samus)-specific locks and for some reason he didn't drag Quiet Robe down there. Maybe QR was back at the other planet building Metroid cages or something.
--Some X happens, gets back to the other planet.
--Raven Beak fixes it by sheer awesomeness, but by that time Samus has drained the stasis gel and killed everything under it.
--Plan B(ait) is formed.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 7, 2021

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Quackles posted:

I mean, the rule of X parasites is that if you have one X-parasite on your hands, you're about to have 9999 more X-parasites to deal with.

How on earth did Raven Beak put that catastrophe back in the box?

Presumably, he used suitable levels of violence and entirely non-biological weapons like the robot killer we just saw who just killed Quiet Robe.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

SIGSEGV posted:

Presumably, he used suitable levels of violence and entirely non-biological weapons like the robot killer we just saw who just killed Quiet Robe.

That makes sense.

That footage of an X-parasite was probably completely real, then.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Why does obtaining a DNA sample from Samus involve firing a massive spike through her torso? Couldn't he have just hired someone to steal her coffee cup? Or paid off her hairdresser?

I chalk that up to Raven Beak not knowing how genetics works and doesn't know how to resequence DNA or anything so doesn't want to waste a drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

He's also using the tools he has, he doesn't want to leave because the situation might go entirely out of control the instant he isn't firefighting, he can't really be stealthy wherever Samus is because he's a drat Chozo and those are rare enough to raise attention and she probably has a Metroid-google alert on "Chozo", he does however have some X and what do you know, someone dropped some giant sample retrieving robots he just had to reprogram.

Of course, the X have infected some Chozo and are therefore smart and can therefore possibly reprogram the robots as well. Or do that and pack their insides full of explosives if Samus manages to dodge the spike.