Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I caught quite a bit of poo poo about being from CA, like I said I was taken a bit aback. Maybe it was due to being in Fort Worth?

It was due to being from California

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

oldpainless posted:

It was due to being from California

Being in Forth Worth didn't help

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm from California and thought about retiring in Texas. The mansions over there looked super cheap. But I'm sure the cost of air conditioning makes up for it.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The thing I miss most about Canada is otc pseudoephedrine in poo poo like advil.

Not anymore, unfortunately.
I guess the War On Drugs finally defeated the medication sick and suffering people need.
Hooray!

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm from California and thought about retiring in Texas. The mansions over there looked super cheap. But I'm sure the cost of air conditioning makes up for it.

I know a couple that started to try this and then stopped because there were a lot more taxes than you'd think.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Why move to texas when new mexico is right there?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Robobot posted:

Hmmm. Maybe some sort of death games? Like unmarried men from the ages of 24 to 55 have to register for physical combat duties and if your number gets picked you’re off to the Blood Dome where dreams are made and broken and the winner each season is gifted with exemption from the next two seasons.

im thinking you could put a crystal in the mens hands...

No but seriously? Who gives a poo poo.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

The idea of "surplus" genders only makes sense if you're pairing the genders up two by two in a nuclear marital family or rebuilding noahs loving ark. The former is a recent, highly americocentric view of how to order a society anyway, and came about as a result of post-WW2/Cold War attitudes in the United States hierarchical leadership structure. The view only makes sense from the point of view of marriage and the "nuclear family suburbs" being a desirable endpoint for your life destination.

I think (hope?) that it's not an uncommon view by now that there's more to life than all of that and you can have a perfectly pleasurable life without having to have a marriage or a lifelong partner -- especially given that, most people didn't? Overall a huge amount of boomer relationships were toxic as gently caress, most marriages end in divorce for that exact reason, etc etc etc.

If it actually starts being a problem wrt. population diversity, which it really will never be given that:

- there's more population mixing than ever

- literally no major society on earth has numbers so low that inbreeding is going to be a problem

you can ask women to donate eggs. Or rather, men to donate sperm. Since there's a huge shortage of sperm donors but not a shortage of egg donors in most "western countries" IIRC.

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 02:55 on Nov 4, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

James Stewart was one of the most entertaining actors of all time.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He's really good. Rear Window is also the best Hitchcock film

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Why move to texas when you can just walk into the ocean?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Manager Hoyden posted:

PHUO: There probably needs to be some talk and action on how to deal with surplus men in modern times, but that talk is forever poisoned after incels got access to the internet

That is a problem most populations have had to deal with in some way because the men on the losing end of that equation are the main targets for radicalization and other bad propaganda

probably starts with emotional education, OP

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Being cold is a lot better than being hot. I intentionally leave my windows open when the temperature starts to dip below freezing just for the experience. It's so much nicer to wake up shivering and grabbing blankets or whatever. When you wake up and it's too hot in a pool of sweat, there's nothing to be done.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Why move to texas when new mexico is right there?

It’s one of the most impoverished states in the nation and its climate gets you on both ends.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That is what a robot would say analyzing a map, but in practice, NM does in fact rule.

Mountains, not too hot, not too many white people, green hatch chili everything.

PHUO: men are too large these days.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 10:02 on Nov 4, 2021

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
declaring an intent to move to texas (Or Florida, or NM, or AZ) is pretty sus

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

PHUO: men are too large these days.

Wrong fool. They aren't nearly large enough. Every single man should look like Ronnie or Jay in their prime. Can you loving imagine how glorious it would be. An entire world of jacked motherfucker. Oh my god. That's what I wanna see. Free tren for kids that's what I say. Get em loving huge. Just gigantic. Mandatory lifting, every day. Put it in schools put it in college. Make it a requirement to run a business. Swole motherfucker everywhere

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

declaring an intent to move to texas (Or Florida, or NM, or AZ) is pretty sus

This kind of thinking is deranged

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Less deranged than your neighbors will be !

edit: for the record I was born in and grew up in the south

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Yeah I don’t blame people for wanting to move out of CA to be able to afford a house < 30 minutes drive from their place of work. The coastal CA housing market is nuts and the problems with it are exacerbated by local/state government policies

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gaius Marius posted:

Wrong fool. They aren't nearly large enough. Every single man should look like Ronnie or Jay in their prime. Can you loving imagine how glorious it would be. An entire world of jacked motherfucker. Oh my god. That's what I wanna see. Free tren for kids that's what I say. Get em loving huge. Just gigantic. Mandatory lifting, every day. Put it in schools put it in college. Make it a requirement to run a business. Swole motherfucker everywhere

Lengthwise not swolewize, Gaius. Gimme a society of 5'5" kings who all bench 300, sure.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

alexandriao posted:

The idea of "surplus" genders only makes sense if you're pairing the genders up two by two in a nuclear marital family or rebuilding noahs loving ark. The former is a recent, highly americocentric view of how to order a society anyway, and came about as a result of post-WW2/Cold War attitudes in the United States hierarchical leadership structure. The view only makes sense from the point of view of marriage and the "nuclear family suburbs" being a desirable endpoint for your life destination.

I think (hope?) that it's not an uncommon view by now that there's more to life than all of that and you can have a perfectly pleasurable life without having to have a marriage or a lifelong partner -- especially given that, most people didn't? Overall a huge amount of boomer relationships were toxic as gently caress, most marriages end in divorce for that exact reason, etc etc etc.

If it actually starts being a problem wrt. population diversity, which it really will never be given that:

- there's more population mixing than ever

- literally no major society on earth has numbers so low that inbreeding is going to be a problem

you can ask women to donate eggs. Or rather, men to donate sperm. Since there's a huge shortage of sperm donors but not a shortage of egg donors in most "western countries" IIRC.

It's not about genetic diversity or whatever, it is about a huge segment of our population being entirely unwelcome in society, and another huge segment still being useful economically but unwelcome romantically. Despite how goofy thinking on human nature has gotten, that is something most human beings desire, especially young people.

The first instinct is to think "yeah those people should hurt, they deserve to be hurt". And maybe some in the incel communities should be, I don't know. There are a lot of different groups that have a lovely time. But the problem is practical safety - disaffected young men are the primary targets of radicalization and propaganda. This is where shootings and terrorism come from. This is at least some source of support for strong-man fascism. This is a driver for gang violence in vulnerable communities.

Like I said, every population has had to deal with this problem. Usually the solution is to kill them somehow, through warfare, starvation, or dangerous labor. Smaller populations just throw them out. The US is trying their hardest through mass imprisonment, but obviously it is not being done equitably. Something should be done, and I'm definitely not smart enough to guess what it is.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Trench warfare for the health of society (no not me I do not intend to die horribly, those other people should, I deserve to reproduce)

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

PHUO: Sqiud Game was boring and predictable.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Anyone who claims to always spell Bouregouius right on the first try is a liar.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's a french word derived from "bourg" and not very hard to spell. My favourite cousin is strasbourgeoise. My dad was wissembourgeois. You literally just take bourg and add the ois.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You literally just take bourg and add the ois.

Burgois

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

The Mighty Moltres posted:

PHUO: Sqiud Game was boring and predictable.

Agreed. Was the hype around this poo poo astro-turfed or what?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jen heir rick posted:

Agreed. Was the hype around this poo poo astro-turfed or what?

All Netflix hits are to some extent I'm sure. That said I liked it a lot and I think its appeal is pretty easy to see.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

All Netflix hits are to some extent I'm sure. That said I liked it a lot and I think its appeal is pretty easy to see.

Yeah, it's well-made and nice to look at, wasn't too long, etc and although I didn't really like the ending/the actual "squid game" part I can see why people are excited about it. A lot of the internet is going a little overboard with all the "mind blowing" theories about it, but I think that's just how a lot of people enjoy shows/movies now, poring over millions of video frames trying to be the first to find something they can twist into a hidden easter egg/"foreshadowing" or whatever and cash in on all that internet clout.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I don't think anyone has to justify Squid Game since it is an incredibly successful entertainment product and the people who don't like it don't matter anymore as far as this particular show is concerned

Like no executive is sitting around waiting on pins and needles for some nobody goon to fatfinger out a contrarian hot take; they're too busy sleeping on giant piles of money

And normal people aren't either. They're too busy enjoying popular things and not caring about internet opinions

Manager Hoyden has a new favorite as of 00:45 on Nov 5, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The whole cast of What We Do in the Shadows is great, but Harvey Guillen knocks it out of the park. Most delightful actor of our age.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Goons are pretty idiosyncratic and should be way more tolerant of others’ idiosyncrasies

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Manager Hoyden posted:

I don't think anyone has to justify Squid Game since it is an incredibly successful entertainment product and the people who don't like it don't matter anymore as far as this particular show is concerned

Like no executive is sitting around waiting on pins and needles for some nobody goon to fatfinger out a contrarian hot take; they're too busy sleeping on giant piles of money

And normal people aren't either. They're too busy enjoying popular things and not caring about internet opinions

Huh I wonder how Netflix is able to assign $ amounts to shows. I'm not sure if views are always proportional to # of new subscriptions

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

silence_kit posted:

Huh I wonder how Netflix is able to assign $ amounts to shows. I'm not sure if views are always proportional to # of new subscriptions

There's a lot of reporting and speculating about Netflix and their internal numbers, but in short, they almost certainly can't.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

silence_kit posted:

Hmm that's a good point

I can't begin to imagine what marketing is like for subscription services and what moves the needle on number of subscribers

I just have all my subscriptions running except Disney+, which is switched on when a season drops and off again when I finish it

Which now that I say it explains why services are going to an episode per week release schedule

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The whole cast of What We Do in the Shadows is great, but Harvey Guillen knocks it out of the park. Most delightful actor of our age.

his character is like a main character from the office or something, it's ok I guess if you want a "relatable" character

personally I relate more to Mark Proksch's character, because I'm more of a boring dick than a neurotic wiener. I would legit sit there and talk to him about etymology or whatever

and I dunno if the new girl vampire is related to Jonah Hill or what, but she's basically a female Jonah Hill character

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

his character is like a main character from the office or something, it's ok I guess if you want a "relatable" character

personally I relate more to Mark Proksch's character, because I'm more of a boring dick than a neurotic wiener. I would legit sit there and talk to him about etymology or whatever

and I dunno if the new girl vampire is related to Jonah Hill or what, but she's basically a female Jonah Hill character

She's his sister.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

While Mark Proksch (and, frankly, the whole cast) does a great job, Guillermo the hyper competent Van Helsing character is so far from an Office character that I can't make sense of the rest of your post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Captain Monkey posted:

While Mark Proksch (and, frankly, the whole cast) does a great job, Guillermo the hyper competent Van Helsing character is so far from an Office character that I can't make sense of the rest of your post.

not actually all that hyper competent, surrounded by idiots, tries to manipulate situations but can't, is always doubting himself, is a dork. maybe he's just someone I think would really like the office, mostly because of the dork part

Henchman of Santa posted:

She's his sister.

well there you go, that's showbusiness