Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Slate posted:

But when the car is as big as an F-150, apparently, the weight gain gets bigger. When rival GMC’s electric Hummer hits lots, that behemoth will weigh more than 9,000 pounds.

Gott im Himmel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/ryanmc23/status/1455936073998163977

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

insert rainbow road joke here

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

idk a massively wide straight road that goes off forever into the horizon looks like a great place to go real fast

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i already said that!

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

idk a massively wide straight road that goes off forever into the horizon looks like a great place to go real fast

are you aware of what thread you're posting in?? :frogout:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the design of the road is bad and encourages reckless driving while making safe pedestrian use impossible, dingus

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i hate cars

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

vyelkin posted:

i hate cars

I HATE CARS. IF THE WORD "HATE" WERE INSCRIBED ONE THOUSAND TIME TIMES ON EACH MILE MARKER ON ALL FORTY-EIGHT THOUSAND FOUR HUNDRED AND FORTY MILES ON THE UNITED STATES INTERSTATE HIGHWAY SYSTEM, IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE MILLIONTH OF THE AMOUNT OF HATE I FEEL FOR CARS AT THIS MOMENT. HATE. HATE.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
on one hand, cars have resulted in hundreds of millions of people prematurely dead and dying for no reason; massive exploitation and destruction of south america and middle east; caused rampant pollution contributing autism to go up from 1:10000 to 1:20; lead to the worst unsustaniable suburban sprawl design that the world will ever know with all of society alienated from each other inside 4000 lbs of plastic and steel; and is causing climate destruction resulting in impending collapse of globalized civilization

on the other hand... cars let senile dementia old people go to cvs fastly, and hating cars is fatphobic

i say we keep them.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I wonder how much smaller cities would be if we just completely got rid of cars

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Suplex Liberace posted:

There will be no jail time

nah, he hosed up by violating the only rule that really matters for murderous drivers, which is 'don't be drunk when you do it'

short of filing a notarized statement saying you intend to kill someone with your car and then doing exactly that, drinking is the only thing that might actually get a reaction from the legal system

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

nah, he hosed up by violating the only rule that really matters for murderous drivers, which is 'don't be drunk when you do it'

short of filing a notarized statement saying you intend to kill someone with your car and then doing exactly that, drinking is the only thing that might actually get a reaction from the legal system

gently caress this guy, not for what he did but because he was inebriated whilst doing it

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

eSports Chaebol posted:

I HATE CARS. IF THE WORD "HATE" WERE INSCRIBED ONE THOUSAND TIME TIMES ON EACH MILE MARKER ON ALL FORTY-EIGHT THOUSAND FOUR HUNDRED AND FORTY MILES ON THE UNITED STATES INTERSTATE HIGHWAY SYSTEM, IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE MILLIONTH OF THE AMOUNT OF HATE I FEEL FOR CARS AT THIS MOMENT. HATE. HATE.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

i've always wondered about this. they say don't ever talk to cops when questioned but what happens if you call them and they ask for an explanation of the incident you called about? do you tell them to talk to your lawyer or give them a brief explanation?

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

the design of the road is bad and encourages reckless driving while making safe pedestrian use impossible, dingus

Yeah! Put bollards in between every lane!

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Cat Puke posted:

Yeah! Put bollards in between every lane!
Raised crosswalks at every intersection. Speed bumps littered at random.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
If the street doesn't have a sidewalk, add a side walk.
If the street does have a sidewalk, double the sidewalk.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

If the street doesn't have a sidewalk, add a side walk.
If the street does have a sidewalk, double the sidewalk.

Mm, yes. In width and height.
Make the car lane too narrow for an f150 to physically drive through.
Add overhead obstacles with a 5' clearance to every residential street.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

pave the entire world but for sidewalks instead of cars

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Let this remind you of the folly of man and cars: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iAsbV1oAkDc

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Dolphin posted:

i've always wondered about this. they say don't ever talk to cops when questioned but what happens if you call them and they ask for an explanation of the incident you called about? do you tell them to talk to your lawyer or give them a brief explanation?

'im calling to report an accident, please send EMS. I'm happy to comply n assist but will be doing so under the guidance of my attorney"

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

All new cars sold should have a 90mph speed limiter. Maybe it should be 80, idk, either way there's no good reason not to. Race cars can just not be road legal, no great loss.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

pointsofdata posted:

All new cars sold should have a 90mph speed limiter. Maybe it should be 80, idk, either way there's no good reason not to. Race cars can just not be road legal, no great loss.

on the right track but lets just set that limiter at 0 for personal automobiles and make them take public transit if they don't have the guts to get to places under their own power

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

pointsofdata posted:

I’d settle for 90, even 85. also you should need a career exemption to own a pickup truck

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

sick country

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

eSports Chaebol posted:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

sick country

drat his mom was 17 when she had him?? 👀

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

indigi posted:

drat his mom was 17 when she had him?? 👀

let me put it this way, the only people walking and biking along those roads, other than really hardcore cyclists, are very poor. just an illustration of how the poor are disproportionately hurt by car violence

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Fitzy Fitz posted:

sick country

I love this "driver involved in his death" and "the vehicle left him to die" wording. No, a driver killed him, and left him to die like a piece of trash on the side of the road.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

indigi posted:

I’d settle for 90, even 85. also you should need a career exemption to own a pickup truck

you think people are whiny about wearing masks and getting a vaccine, holy poo poo they would absolutely freak if someone tried to touch their precious trucks. every chud in the country would assemble for a convoy of bro trucks to roll coal through the halls of congress, and the cops would let them do it.

that said, we should do it

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Just woke up from a surprisingly contiguous dream where my town was holding a big beachfront event and the road abutting the strand was intended to be pedestrianized for games and booths, but cars kept turning on, so a few people got into the road to block traffic, much to the consternation of drivers. I joined the effort and one driver, despite seeing everything going on, decided to still turn in and kept hitting me at low speeds to try to get through. We took video of one another on our cellphones for the later court case.

What woke me up was a bro-dozer ramming through one of the sawhorses that had been erected and me remembering I was carrying.

Unrelated: let he who has not drunkenly rammed their car into a house full of children cast the first stone:
https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1456274902961430539?t=PHb0L5__52Kcolu1CNw6Ww&s=19

Cugel the Clever has issued a correction as of 16:06 on Nov 4, 2021

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

pointsofdata posted:

All new cars sold should have a 90mph speed limiter. Maybe it should be 80, idk,

it should federally be something like 50mph, with the option for states to increase it (for the people in the middle of nowhere utah, nevada, the dakotas, etc)

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

the capitalist system only allows for meditation during the act of open highway driving

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

eSports Chaebol posted:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/nocontextroyco/status/1448287409460891649

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

I wonder how much smaller cities would be if we just completely got rid of cars

i mean you can just look at european cities (that weren't bombed to smithereens in ww2) for reference

the answer is, small walkable sizes

unfortunately it's terminal for america+canada. streets are too wide that even if you removed them all into pedestrian/bike walkways they're still massive but not small enough to build on; and all our buildings are 1-story fuckall garbage.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I should just flee this cursed continent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

for every car you dont drive i'll eat two :smug: