Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Gat dang, Chako

1. You barely even have to train them to do that
2. Borgman just likes to draw a cool-rear end animal sometimes and I appreciate that.

...it's...

She needs a part-time job to fit around school to help her keep gas in her car. She doesn't even have to worry about food or rent. It's not that complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (September 9-11, 1937)

I can't tell if this is just a general depiction of someone being uncomfortable in shoes, or if there's some specific thing about walking on the sides of your feet. Mostly because this brought back a long-forgotten memory of my teacher sending a note home telling my parents that they should do something about the fact that I was wearing out the outsides of my sneakers, something they never noticed because at home I was always barefoot.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Slammy posted:

Mopsy July 29, 1937

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG3ExHB133k

Scary Gary

This seems out of canon, as there are other strips where Gary effortlessly changes into a bat (once to catch a moth that is fluttering around Leopold and annoying him).

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Crab Dad posted:

Holy poo poo that was a terrible Peanuts. I always thought that Thanksgiving strip of them all sitting far from the black kid was just an oversight. Guess not.

People have built a defense for the strip based around there only being one black NHL player in 1974, but yeah, even in the best case scenario, Sparky didn't think that one all the way through.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

EasyEW posted:

People have built a defense for the strip based around there only being one black NHL player in 1974, but yeah, even in the best case scenario, Sparky didn't think that one all the way through.

i was reading the comments(this is the road to ruin i know) and one woman defended it with something about her black husband saying that poo poo is cold and not for black people wtf.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Elsewhere: I knew it!

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

What clabbered milk is, thanks to a gocomics commenter: https://www.butterforall.com/traditional-cooking-traditional-living/clabber-milk/

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Everett False posted:

I can't tell if this is just a general depiction of someone being uncomfortable in shoes, or if there's some specific thing about walking on the sides of your feet. Mostly because this brought back a long-forgotten memory of my teacher sending a note home telling my parents that they should do something about the fact that I was wearing out the outsides of my sneakers, something they never noticed because at home I was always barefoot.

The technical term is pronation and supination. When it's overdone it can lead to injuries. Shoes can make it worse, adjusting from a flexible bare foot to a rigid sole. I've heard of insoles that are supposed to help with that, particularly if you've gotten to the level of injuries like planar fasciitis (my brother got some for that and almost immediately started recovering). but I don't know if it's worth using in general if not to the level of an actual issue.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae the Doe is currently on a M-W-F schedule! No comic today!

https://twitter.com/olivebrinker/status/1455295600166060034

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Fun Peanuts fact I just remembered: When Schulz introduced Franklin (AKA the blandest and most inoffensive Peanuts kid who just happens to be black) a bunch of white weirdos got incredibly bent out out of shape about it. One Editor sent this particularly unhinged response:

:stare:

Also I can't find the source again (I think it was in one of the print collections) but I'm pretty sure a bunch of people also accused Schulz of creating the character just to pander to black people. Basically the exact same poo poo you hear today when Marvel announces a black superhero.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Crab Dad posted:

i was reading the comments(this is the road to ruin i know) and one woman defended it with something about her black husband saying that poo poo is cold and not for black people wtf.

That sounds like it could be a Chris Rock bit or something, I feel like I've heard the "black people can't handle the cold" stereotype used as a joke from black comedians. But yeah, pretty bad look when someone uses it to defend what's kind of a problematic strip from a white man.

readingatwork posted:

Fun Peanuts fact I just remembered: When Schulz introduced Franklin (AKA the blandest and most inoffensive Peanuts kid who just happens to be black) a bunch of white weirdos got incredibly bent out out of shape about it.

The fun Franklin fact I remember is, I don't remember if it was his debut, but at least one early strip with him had him at the beach talking to (I think) Charlie Brown who had lost his beach ball, and Franklin asked him if he wanted his dad to swim out at get it for him. I think it was a purposeful thing because of the stereotype of black people not knowing how to swim.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "358 - Jucika Introduces The New Swimsuit Fashion" NSFW Nudity

"strand = beach"

I seem to remember reading about this strip before - and the swimsuit in question was an actual avant garde piece.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Calaveron posted:

Now when he finally goes to talk to that old biddy for the meddling denouement, the focus is on Wilbur being frustrated that his dog just doesn't seem to like him instead of any of the other aspects of his disastrous life.

I feel like this part is another complete swerve in the story. Wilbur hasn't been shown to care much about his dog at all, treating it like a flash in the pan hobby or something performative to garner sympathy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Twelve by Pies posted:

That sounds like it could be a Chris Rock bit or something, I feel like I've heard the "black people can't handle the cold" stereotype used as a joke from black comedians. But yeah, pretty bad look when someone uses it to defend what's kind of a problematic strip from a white man.

The fun Franklin fact I remember is, I don't remember if it was his debut, but at least one early strip with him had him at the beach talking to (I think) Charlie Brown who had lost his beach ball, and Franklin asked him if he wanted his dad to swim out at get it for him. I think it was a purposeful thing because of the stereotype of black people not knowing how to swim.

So I've heard of this before and I always thought it odd.
Until I joined the Navy and out of 80 young adults 20 couldnt swim in my boot class. Every single one was black. I was immensely curious and talked to most of them about it and it came down to the fact that they were almost all inner city kids with zero access to pools so where the gently caress they gonna learn to swim a tub? So basically nothing to do with inherit race just lack of access to the activity growing up. They all learned how to swim after two weeks too.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Why should he be different?

It's almost frightening how much I want this to end with someone else taking that dog away from Wilbur, and Wilbur ending up alone. Every time life kicks Wilbur around for his many, many failings, I feel a little surge of joy.

Having a strong emotional reaction to the characters and a deep interest in where the plot is going next...wait, does this mean that Mary Worth is a good comic strip?

(Nah, of course it's not. The next storyline will be something tedious like a new old person at Charterstone showing up and having trouble cooking a meal, and we'll be left waiting months and months before we can see Wilbur gently caress everything up again.)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

It's more of a class than a race thing really but since minorities are statistically more likely to be poorer than whites, it means they're less likely to know how to swim. More well off families are able to join things like country clubs or private pools, or be able to afford swim lessons.

This is why the YMCA (at least here, I assume it's a nationwide thing though) started a Learn to Swim program where they take pre-K kids and 9th grade kids and bring them to the Y twice a week during their PE/gym classes and give swimming lessons, to make sure more people know how to swim (or at least stay afloat).

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (January 29, 2010)

Arlo and Janis Classic (January 29, 2000)

Garfield Classic (January 29, 1990)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Crab Dad posted:

So I've heard of this before and I always thought it odd.
Until I joined the Navy and out of 80 young adults 20 couldnt swim in my boot class. Every single one was black. I was immensely curious and talked to most of them about it and it came down to the fact that they were almost all inner city kids with zero access to pools so where the gently caress they gonna learn to swim a tub? So basically nothing to do with inherit race just lack of access to the activity growing up. They all learned how to swim after two weeks too.

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's more of a class than a race thing really but since minorities are statistically more likely to be poorer than whites, it means they're less likely to know how to swim. More well off families are able to join things like country clubs or private pools, or be able to afford swim lessons.

This is why the YMCA (at least here, I assume it's a nationwide thing though) started a Learn to Swim program where they take pre-K kids and 9th grade kids and bring them to the Y twice a week during their PE/gym classes and give swimming lessons, to make sure more people know how to swim (or at least stay afloat).

When I joined NROTC, the remedial swim group was me and the handful of black midshipmen.
It's both race and class.
I grew up in a predominantly black area, and I didn't learn to swim. My white friends who only lived a couple miles away went to their community pool all the time. 2 miles away, same general income levels, but the mostly white municipality had a community rec center with a pool and the mostly black municipality didn't.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 11/3/01

Brenda Starr 7/13/47

Nice lifeguarding, huh?

Smokey Stover 4/9/44

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Going from extended periods barefoot to walking about in shoes is normally when I sprain an ankle. It does something like interference with the awareness of where my heel strike balance is, presumably because the shoe blurs the force out.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 01, 1948)

readingatwork posted:

Also I can't find the source again (I think it was in one of the print collections) but I'm pretty sure a bunch of people also accused Schulz of creating the character just to pander to black people. Basically the exact same poo poo you hear today when Marvel announces a black superhero.

I seem to recall reading something about Schulz getting a letter asking him to add a black character (before Franklin had been added obviously), and his response was that he had wanted to for a long time but was on the other side of this issue - he didn't want black people to feel like he was being patronizing to them.

As far as that hockey strip goes, I presume the idea is Patty just wants Franklin to get out of her way and is deliberately being rude, but yikes.

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 4, 2021

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Medenmath posted:

I seem to recall reading something about Schulz getting a letter asking him to add a black character (before Franklin had been added obviously), and his response was that he had wanted to for a long time but was on the other side of this issue - he didn't want black people to feel like he was being patronizing to them.

More than that, the writers who pushed him to include a black character suggested that said character be seen occasionally, so as not to excite too much comment. Schultz rejected that idea and made Franklin a main (or at least secondary) character.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Arlo, no!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wouldn't ladies' cuts at men's prices be a hell of a bargain? I suppose it depends on the quality of the cut, though.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Selachian posted:

Wouldn't ladies' cuts at men's prices be a hell of a bargain? I suppose it depends on the quality of the cut, though.

I'd say about half of the salons around me offer unisex haircut pricing, or at worst length-based. Gender-based pricing has always been a scam.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Medenmath posted:

As far as that hockey strip goes, I presume the idea is Patty just wants Franklin to get out of her way and is deliberately being rude, but yikes.

Yup, they went back and forth a bit but eventually he decided to go forward with it:

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/66815/franklin-joined-peanuts-gang-47-years-ago-today

quote:

In the summer of 1968, the world was still reeling from the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. And Charles Schulz’s Peanuts characters were at the height of their popularity, having recently starred in their fourth TV special after A Charlie Brown Christmas and It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown had been established as instant classics. Though seemingly unrelated, a schoolteacher in Los Angeles saw a way to bring the two events together.

On April 15, 1968, Harriet Glickman sent a letter to Charles Schulz, which began:

"Since the death of Martin Luther King, I’ve been asking myself what I can do to help change those conditions in our society which led to the assassination and which contribute to the vast seas of misunderstanding, fear, hate, and violence."

She went on to express the importance mass media had “in shaping the unconscious attitudes of our kids,” and how “the introduction of Negro children into the group of Schulz characters could happen with a minimum of impact. The gentleness of the kids … even Lucy, is a perfect setting. The baseball games, kite-flying … yes, even the Psychiatric Service cum Lemonade Stand would accommodate the idea smoothly."

Immediately, Schulz replied; while his response was honest, it’s not what Glickman had hoped for. In Schulz’s letter, dated April 26, 1968, the cartoonist thanked Glickman for her suggestion, but said that by introducing an African-American character, he was "faced with the same problem that other cartoonists are who wish to comply with your suggestion. We all would like very much to be able to do this, but each of us is afraid that it would look like we were patronizing our Negro friends." Schulz closed by stating that, "I don’t know what the solution is."

Undeterred, Glickman wrote back on April 27, acknowledging that Schulz has presented “an interesting dilemma” and requesting “permission to use your letter to show some Negro friends. Their response as parents may be useful to you in your thinking on this subject.”

Schulz was enthusiastic in his support of Glickman's endeavor, noting that he would be “very anxious to hear what your friends think of my reasons for not including a Negro character in the strip,” adding that he would be “very happy to try, but I am sure that I would receive the sort of criticism that would make it appear as if I were doing this in a condescending manner.”

Further missives followed, until Schulz sent a letter on July 1, urging Glickman to check out the paper the week of July 29, noting that “I have drawn an episode which I think will please you.”

On July 31, 1968, Franklin Armstrong made his comic strip debut as the Peanuts’ first Black character, and the first minority character to appear in any major, mainstream comic strip.

Years later, Schulz recalled in an interview that the strips he drew featuring Franklin were some of the only ones that ever resulted in feedback, or pushback, from his editors.

“There was one strip where Charlie Brown and Franklin had been playing on the beach, and Franklin said, ‘Well, it's been nice being with you, come on over to my house some time,’” Schulz recalled. “[My editors] didn't like that. Another editor protested once when Franklin was sitting in the same row of school desks with Peppermint Patty, and said, ‘We have enough trouble here in the South without you showing the kids together in school.’ But I never paid any attention to those things, and I remember telling [United Features president] Larry [Rutman] at the time about Franklin—he wanted me to change it, and we talked about it for a long while on the phone, and I finally sighed and said, ‘Well, Larry, let's put it this way: Either you print it just the way I draw it or I quit. How's that?’ So that's the way that ended.”

Harriet Glickman passed away on March 27, 2020. In reaction to the news, Karen Johnson, director of the Charles M. Schulz Museum and Research Center, paid tribute to the woman who inspired Franklin. "Heroes are hard to come by," Johnson wrote. "I admire a lot of people, but not to the extent to call them a hero. But Harriet Glickman truly is MY hero."

Glickman, too, was immensely proud of the part she played in helping to create the iconic character, stating that, “I often like to say that Franklin is my third child.”

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Funny Online Alcoholism

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (June 3-4, 1938)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Hostile V posted:

Funny Online Alcoholism

The original version of this had Mallard Fillmore instead of Question Hound in the final panel. Syndicate made KC change it.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Bruceski posted:

The technical term is pronation and supination. When it's overdone it can lead to injuries. Shoes can make it worse, adjusting from a flexible bare foot to a rigid sole. I've heard of insoles that are supposed to help with that, particularly if you've gotten to the level of injuries like planar fasciitis (my brother got some for that and almost immediately started recovering). but I don't know if it's worth using in general if not to the level of an actual issue.

Yeah, I'm just not sure if the depiction is coincidental or if there was some old timey folk wisdom about barefoot children being prone to supination once shod. I would find it extremely funny if my parents were baffled in the 90s by my weird-rear end walking, but in the early 1900s a parent would have said, "oh, an obvious consequence of being barefoot too much"

In my case my parents made me practice walking in shoes for like an hour until they were satisfied that they had resolved my shoe confusion. I feel like this should not have worked, but it seems to have!

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Samovar posted:

I seem to remember reading about this strip before - and the swimsuit in question was an actual avant garde piece.

"Gernreich designed the monokini as a protest against a repressive society. He didn't initially intend to produce the monokini commercially,[10] but was persuaded by Susanne Kirtland of Look to make it available to the public. When the first photograph of a frontal view of Peggy Moffitt wearing the design was published in Women's Wear Daily on June 3, 1964,[1] it generated a great deal of controversy in the United States and other countries. Gernreich sold about 3000 suits, but only two were worn in public. The first was worn publicly on June 22, 1964, by Carol Doda in San Francisco at the Condor Nightclub, ushering in the era of topless nightclubs in the United States, and the second at North Avenue beach in Chicago in July 1964 by artist's model Toni Lee Shelley, who was arrested."
-Wikipedia

I love the word "monokini" because it's a false etymology; mono- from the bi- in bikini...except that "bikini" comes from a much different language and place. I wonder how the Marshallese responded the first time a tourist came there in a two-piece. "You're wearing a what?"

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

That was a funny gag!

Mary Worth

Trilobite posted:

It's almost frightening how much I want this to end with someone else taking that dog away from Wilbur, and Wilbur ending up alone. Every time life kicks Wilbur around for his many, many failings, I feel a little surge of joy.

Having a strong emotional reaction to the characters and a deep interest in where the plot is going next...wait, does this mean that Mary Worth is a good comic strip?

(Nah, of course it's not. The next storyline will be something tedious like a new old person at Charterstone showing up and having trouble cooking a meal, and we'll be left waiting months and months before we can see Wilbur gently caress everything up again.)
I think Mary Worth is a good strip. They know what they are putting out there, and it's exactly what we want.

Yeah it gets slow but that's just because it's fundamentally a soap strip and isn't meant to be very entertaining every day. It's a slow burn that pays off for those that stick with it. It's camp, and it's meant to be enjoyed while thinking it's stupid.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

NRVNQSR posted:

I'd say about half of the salons around me offer unisex haircut pricing, or at worst length-based. Gender-based pricing has always been a scam.
Yeah, length based is the most sensible way to go. Longer cuts do tend to take longer and be more complicated, but that doesn't vary depending on your gender.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

That was a funny gag!
OK, Mark Trail has won me back. :allears:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Do we think Jules is gonna talk about crypto/NFTs general badness for the environment? I think yes, if for no other reason that it angers the type of dudes she loves to anger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I can't wait for people who don't know about NFTs to read Jules' description of them and say "That sounds really stupid, you must be explaining it wrong."