Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Cup Runneth Over posted:

would love to see how goons hilariously gently caress up this one

It's a time forward machine that jumps you directly into +15C cloudless future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Colonel Cancer posted:

It's a time forward machine that jumps you directly into +15C cloudless future

""I stopped. I was on a bleak moorland, covered with a sparse vegetation, and grey with a thin hoarfrost. The time was midday, the orange sun, shorn of its effulgence, brooding near the meridian in a sky of drabby grey. Only a few black bushes broke the monotony of the scene. The great buildings of the decadent men among whom, it seemed to me, I had been so recently, had vanished and left no trace, not a mound even marked their position. Hill and valley, sea and river—all, under the wear and work of the rain and frost, had melted into new forms. No doubt, too, the rain and snow had long since washed out the Morlock tunnels. A nipping breeze stung my hands and face. So far as I could see there were neither hills, nor trees, nor rivers: only an uneven stretch of cheerless plateau."

HG Wells was wrong, there won't be frost in the future

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

kater posted:

so not having experienced the whole subway train whatever commute what is the travel time for that stuff? cuz like I unno someone says they have an hours long bus rides and it’s like well

it so wildly varies based on distance, density, and are you including time out the door walking/biking to a station/stop, including average waiting for a train/bus, walking from station to destination vs getting out the door hopping right into your suv and driving to endpoint?

busses are terrible and most inter-city busses a 45-minute ride to go ~10 miles is common in relatively light-moderate trafficked suburban-med city mix; not including wait or walk times which wait can sometimes be unreliable up to 15-minutes for 1-direction; probably about 8-minute variability and delays each is an average (and still not including walk/bike times) pushing that fairly close to the hour mark. the same 10-mile ride is usually 15 minutes or so when you can just drive on the freeway.

for dedicated trains, going about 15 miles from dense outer city into another dense city (i.e. san francisco), the station to station time is about 35-minutes, not including wait time for a train which can be around 5-minutes each way. walking to/from station can be 15-minutes each way but varies so it's not too fair to count it. driving this by car can be as low as ~18 minutes at night with no traffic to 1.5 hours (or more) during regular daylight driving hours with normal awful traffic all the time -- so it's overall faster to train or at least on parity.

taking the same route by bus is a little longer, probably around 50-minutes from stop-to-stop but even longer variability and delays in busses usually pushing that over an hour.'

tldr: 1-hr long bus rides vs 15-20 minute drives are fairly common in like typical suburban midwestern-type settings. busses can narrowly win out or on par with driving in heavy-commuter traffic areas where they're given special rights. trains are usually a good portion faster during commute but usually slower if there's no traffic. All not including variable walk/bike time-to-from stop/station which the calculus also changes but walking/biking is good for you so idk how you want to count that. Also not counting is what happens if it just doesnt show up or you miss it which basically can throw on another half hour.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 20:44 on Nov 3, 2021

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I turned a 1.5 hr commute, that included ~2 miles of walking, one train, and one bus into a 25 minute commute requiring no walking and one car by... buying a car.

Edit: I don't live in the suburbs.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Very cool that im still comfortable in a tanktop and the leaves are all green when it was snow covered by this time last year.

Lets just do summer all year

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Blockade posted:

Very cool that im still comfortable in a tanktop and the leaves are all green when it was snow covered by this time last year.

monkey's paw balls into a fist sans middle finger

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Blockade posted:

Again last night I had that strange dream. Where everything was exactly how it seemed.

No concerns about the world getting warmer. People thought that they were just being rewarded, for treating others as they'd like to be treated, for obeying stop-signs and curing diseases, for mailing letters with the address of the sender.

Now we can swim any day in November.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i've experienced a whole lot of different commutes using mass transit and i think the biggest factor whether they're tolerable or not for me is whether i have to switch bus/train. if i don't have to, then i'm fine with getting 45 minutes of uninterrupted reading each way

i'll take my current commute of 0 minutes over anything else though, although my 20 minutes direct subway trip to the office isn't that bad all things considered

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
My ideal commute was a ten minute walk. Just perfect in every way.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Chamale posted:

The Red Army conscripted 600,000 people to clean up the Chernobyl Disaster to stop the spread of radioactive contamination.

The United States has 1,344 exposed toxic waste sites that haven't been cleaned up yet because it would cost too much.

that's known sites

like the people who died from covid, known victims but treated as suffering from the flu or asthma or whatever gets put on the certificate

not quite accurate for a reason and sometimes the reason is it's spewing gasses but it's in the rough and has been forgotten

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 58 minutes!

Chamale posted:

""I stopped. I was on a bleak moorland, covered with a sparse vegetation, and grey with a thin hoarfrost. The time was midday, the orange sun, shorn of its effulgence, brooding near the meridian in a sky of drabby grey. Only a few black bushes broke the monotony of the scene. The great buildings of the decadent men among whom, it seemed to me, I had been so recently, had vanished and left no trace, not a mound even marked their position. Hill and valley, sea and river—all, under the wear and work of the rain and frost, had melted into new forms. No doubt, too, the rain and snow had long since washed out the Morlock tunnels. A nipping breeze stung my hands and face. So far as I could see there were neither hills, nor trees, nor rivers: only an uneven stretch of cheerless plateau."

HG Wells was wrong, there won't be frost in the future

do NOT wash out my tunnels. i do NOT consent

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
nice

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Perry Mason Jar posted:

My ideal commute was a ten minute walk. Just perfect in every way.

i used to walk to work at a terrible night shift gig, there's something to be said for wandering through city streets without 99% of the city noises while also being stalked by coyotes (there's a surprising amount of wildlife in my city at night)

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

oh yeah well i had the worst commute

the chaos commute

i'd call in every morning and it was up to fate whether i was 5 minutes or 3 hours away

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
City walk, 3pm start and 11pm release. A brisk walk in lively city to get you ready for the day and a sleeping city to stroll through, barely a soul in sight. It was bliss.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Raine posted:

oh yeah well i had the worst commute

the chaos commute

i'd call in every morning and it was up to fate whether i was 5 minutes or 3 hours away

thats something awful right there for sure

my worst commute was having to catch a plane into the woods and then an hour long bus ride in a decrepit schoolbus eventually depositing me in a lovely maze of trailers and breezeways where i was trapped for almost a month at a time but id take that over chaos commute any day

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

Again last night I had that strange dream. Where everything was exactly how it seemed.

No concerns about the world getting warmer. People thought that they were just being rewarded, for treating others as they'd like to be treated, for obeying stop-signs and curing diseases, for mailing letters with the address of the sender.

Now we can swim any day in November.

Hey that was our most recent pandemic video!

https://twitter.com/DatePandemic/status/1448364722571653123?t=vtlJmYKiW_5h9Tg2eyf3lQ&s=19

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzZNpO4GGxM

lady: i just got my baby a phoooone
*phone rings*
baby: T_T waahahgghgh

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Once upon a time, I commuted by bike 50 minutes each way in Oregon winters to sand and paint shutters all day. Listened to ASOT religiously during my commutes and it was honestly some of the most pleasurable times I've ever had during a typical work week

now I live close to work like some kinda wise guy

Jokerpilled Drudge has issued a correction as of 00:54 on Nov 4, 2021

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

welp, i go in for my vasectomy tomorrow, wish me luck everyone! i just wanna add tho, my inner monologue is one sneaky, cowardly motherfucker these past few days

"just cancel it and be really careful from now on!"

"microplastics will take care of it eventually anyway, just relax bro"

"take a break from the ladies and experiment with dudes for a while, could be fun!"

"become a father. have 7 kids like your dad"

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Consider the second to last thought regardless of whether you go through the operation

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

IMO the worst part about having a vasectomy was that a time traveller from the future did not in fact appear at the last second to beg me to reconsider because my unborn child would someday save the world.

The doctor did tell me that I did a very good job shaving my balls though :)

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Good luck!

Wait! You should check to see if they're looking for clinical trial subjects for that contraceptive testicle bath device. That way, if something goes "wrong", you got paid to get sterilized.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

goochtit posted:

Good luck!

Wait! You should check to see if they're looking for clinical trial subjects for that contraceptive testicle bath device. That way, if something goes "wrong", you got paid to get sterilized.

or it could go wrong the other way lol

"and that's the story of how you were the basis of a class action lawsuit, son!"

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

begotten by accident like the rest of us but it was in pursuit of a noble cause

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
become gay, for the environment

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

gently caress

taking a shower just hits different now

i was shaving yesterday and thinking "hmm...i wonder how much plastic i'm washing my face with right now"

Brainwreck
Mar 17, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1456025412467892229?s=20

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
my various commutes have included:

a 30 minute walk (one way)

a 15 minute walk (one way)

a 30 minute ride by light rail (one way) [current]

a 15 minute car ride (one way)

and

a 3 hour round trip commute by car for over a year

guess which one broke me

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Hubbert posted:

my various commutes have included:

a 30 minute walk (one way)

a 15 minute walk (one way)

a 30 minute ride by light rail (one way) [current]

a 15 minute car ride (one way)

and

a 3 hour round trip commute by car for over a year

guess which one broke me

those public transit bastards

it was the light rail, wasn't it?! wasn't it?! :bahgawd:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
For the past 6 years I've commuted via bicycle and it owned.

I wonder if people are gonna chill tf out when we all have to do it because nobody can afford cars anymore.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

EvilJoven posted:

For the past 6 years I've commuted via bicycle and it owned.

I wonder if people are gonna chill tf out when we all have to do it because nobody can afford cars anymore.

we need more showers in the workplace for starters

like a whole thing for us who can ride a bike but sweat too much

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Can anyone recommend resources for turning my green lawn into something more native? I'm trying to plan for the spring growing season. I live in PNW, west of the Cascades.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

we need more showers in the workplace for starters

like a whole thing for us who can ride a bike but sweat too much

what if instead we design a new kind of deoderant that encases you in a layer of microplastics

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

err posted:

Can anyone recommend resources for turning my green lawn into something more native? I'm trying to plan for the spring growing season. I live in PNW, west of the Cascades.

Miners lettuce, clover, sword ferns.

Northwest native plants website has a really good list of ground covers. Moss is great too

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

kater posted:

so not having experienced the whole subway train whatever commute what is the travel time for that stuff? cuz like I unno someone says they have an hours long bus rides and it’s like well

It varies a lot based on how good your transit system is. When I lived in new Westminster I could get to the train station by bus and to work in Vancouver in 30 mins flat, driving was the same if traffic was light and biking was about the same. But this was an effecient rail system with many separate bus lanes

In a place like Orlando or even Tallahassee circa early 2000s it was so dire that no one but the most desperate people ever took the bus. I remember an old lady who was one of our Bernie Sanders volunteers taking the bus to go door knocking and when it was time to go home the bus just never came to pick her up so she waited hours in the hot Florida sun until another volunteer saw her and offered her a ride home to the travel trailer she lived in. This was the same person who could not vote for Bernie Sanders because she had a drug felony decades earlier. America failed her in so many ways.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Once upon a time, I commuted by bike 50 minutes each way in Oregon winters to sand and paint shutters all day. Listened to ASOT religiously during my commutes and it was honestly some of the most pleasurable times I've ever had during a typical work week

now I live close to work like some kinda wise guy

I listen to ASOT while bike commuting sometimes. It's the poo poo. Living close to work is also the poo poo tho.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
lols from the succ thread:

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

God Hole posted:

welp, i go in for my vasectomy tomorrow, wish me luck everyone! i just wanna add tho, my inner monologue is one sneaky, cowardly motherfucker these past few days

"just cancel it and be really careful from now on!"

"microplastics will take care of it eventually anyway, just relax bro"

"take a break from the ladies and experiment with dudes for a while, could be fun!"

"become a father. have 7 kids like your dad"

It'll be fine. The procedure is a breeze and having wanton unprotected sex is fantastic.

I cancelled mine once before I rescheduled and went through with it so you are not alone on the internal monologue thing, but honestly I wish I'd done it even earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

blatman posted:

what if instead we design a new kind of deoderant that encases you in a layer of microplastics

yeah that sounds cool

BaldDwarfOnPCP has issued a correction as of 07:41 on Nov 4, 2021