Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Opening a pack and pulling this card is going to feel TERRIBLE.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Sickening posted:

Opening a pack and pulling this card is going to feel TERRIBLE.

I’ll be guaranteed to get like five copies of this card.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Cool art, though.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Magic Art got good again in the past few years. Felt kinda stagnant/blah for a lot of the 2010's, but man every new set has some great work in it. Special/alt cards included and aside.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
the nadir of magic art was magic origins thru kaladesh

its been slowly but surely getting better since

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Truth

Kaladesh has a cool aesthetic but the execution was garbo

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Jacob Harkin, Investigator
{1}{U}
Legendary Creature - Human Advisor

{T}: Draw a card, then exile a card in your hand face down. You may look at the card as long as it remains exiled. Then, you may pay {4}{U}{U}. If you do, transform Jacob Harkin, Investigator

0/2

Harkin's Sight
Legendary Enchantment

At the beginning of your upkeep, exile the top card of your library. You may look at it as long as it remains exiled.
Once during each of your turns, you may play a land or cast a spell from the cards exiled by this permanent without paying the mana cost.

Olivia's Attendants
{4}{R}{R}
Creature - Vampire

Menace
Whenever Olivia's Attendants deals damage, create that many blood tokens.
{2}{R}: Olivia's Attendants deals 1 damage to any target

6/6

Cemetary Gatekeeper - 1R
Creature - Vampire

First strike
Whenever ~ enters the battlefield, exile a card from a graveyard.
Whenever a player plays a land or casts a spell, if it has the same type as the exiled card, ~ deals 2 damage to that player.

2/1

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 4, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

YggdrasilTM posted:

Cemetary Gatekeeper - 1R
Creature - Vampire

First strike
Whenever a player plays a land or casts a spell, if it has the same type as the exiled card, ~ deals 2 damage to that player.

2/1

Eidolon tugging at it's collar as this guy shows up in burn. (Eidolon is probably better, maybe in pioneer you play both)

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I mentally put Dominaria as the point they started making interesting art again, probably because the sagas are cool.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Eidolon tugging at it's collar as this guy shows up in burn. (Eidolon is probably better, maybe in pioneer you play both)

Wouldn't this get a lot worse in pioneer without fetchlands to reliably exile?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

well this is obnoxious even at mythic

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Barry Shitpeas posted:

well this is obnoxious even at mythic

Yeah, this is going to be stone unbeatable in limited.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

lmao @ that mythic. every couple sets WOTC prints a mythic that just has the card text “win target limited game”

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
also I thought Hexproof was replaced by Ward, or do Mythics break those kinda rules

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Goa Tse-tung posted:

also I thought Hexproof was replaced by Ward, or do Mythics break those kinda rules

It wasn't replaced, but Ward let them greatly reduce the amount of Hexproof in the environment. It's still appeared in every set since Strixhaven in some small form.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Mostly. But they said hexproof will still be used here and there.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Imo they need to have hexproof and uncounterable, preferably together, in at least every other set. Even now divide by zero still hits cragplate behemoth, which is a pain, but there's gotta be SOMETHING that stops counters every so often

Reprint shifting ceratops

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I actually really love how they’re going all in on the Vampire Wedding thematics this set. Much tighter focus than MID, which was just “nighttime in scarytown.” The bridesmaids kick rear end.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

HootTheOwl posted:

If you exile a land it’s 2 every time they play a land? That might be just better than eidolon.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

If you exile a land it’s 2 every time they play a land? That might be just better than eidolon.

Well, to remove eidolon they usually have to take damage, while removing this one is painless.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

These guys are cool

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

YggdrasilTM posted:

Cemetary Gatekeeper - 1R
Creature - Vampire

First strike

2/1

T1 Play With Fire into T2 this is probably pretty nasty against Izzet Turns, right? I know there have been cards with similar effects before but I haven't played with them so it's hard to evaluate.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

mcmagic posted:

Yeah Zo-Zu the Punisher was almost playable and costing 2 is real good

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

LupusAter posted:

Wouldn't this get a lot worse in pioneer without fetchlands to reliably exile?

I don't think you ever want to put this on a land. But also Fabled passage I assume is played in the decks where you would. Or Field of Ruin.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

These guys are cool

Modern Zombie Players, you still play vial in your decks right?
*Glances at ragavan* "Oh yeah, sure"

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That gatekeeper does seem really really good

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

As a someone who very much wants to build a casual werewolf tribal deck, this is a card that makes me say “yes.”

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

These guys are cool

Now there's a wombo combo.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

mcmagic posted:

Dingus Vamp

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I love the egg that turns into the dragon that kills the Elvish Warmasters.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

“Zombies with huge asses” is an interesting theme for a set.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

TotalHell posted:

Golgari. Butts.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Retcon posted:

Now there's a wombo combo.

all you need are 2 more creatures with 6+ toughness!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

little munchkin posted:

You need 3 with toughness greater than their power.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

little munchkin posted:

I misread it too: It's toughness greater than their power, not greater than the fodder's toughness.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

TotalHell posted:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

this is the line that marshall sutcliffe keeps hocking on LR, but no, wotc intends for both to be used. it opens up design space by allowing them to make creatures that can be interacted with while still having some amount of protection against removal.

that said I think this design in particular is not great. it's going to be a pain to deal with in limited. At least it's not a dream trawler scenario because the thing is mythic and not rare

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Edgar just keeps coming back, huh?