Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

spacetoaster posted:

You can buy a tree that's already a few years old.

And sure, you will have to wait a year, or two, but so what?

I suppose fighting with random strangers forever is also an option.
Just remove every unripe lemon from the tree before anyone can get it. Now everyone's unhappy.

Miserable Maid posted:

Me 26M my gf 26F cheated on me with a friend 27M and have left me for him, they both want me to remain friendly with them so does all my other friends.

Luckily, it only took a couple hours before Reddit got him to put his head on straight:

What always gets me about these stories (and its happened to me too!) is where someone is clearly disliked by the rest of the friend group, or at least liked the least, but the group tries desperately to keep them around when they try to leave

Although I guess in this case they don't want to feel guilty so they think being friends will make it go away
It's like the episode of Parks and Recreation where Jerry retires and they have to get him back before someone becomes the next him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah that poo poo reeks of narcissism

Absolutely. I always know a DnD game is instantly terrible and to be avoided if there is a DM character.

The DM already has thousands of characters - the cast of the entire universe of the game all belongs to the DM. If the person who is already doing 60% of the talking in a group of 5 or 6 needs even more 'screen-time' then they are surely a blowhard.

It is also really awkward watching them having 'their' player interact with an NPC because it is just someone talking to themselves while everyone else just sits there.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for playing an inappropriate TV show for my 6 year-old daughter?

Guess before you unspoiler! Titty

Wow, wait til her daughter finds out about the internet.

I am a teacher, and I talk to kids without their parents around, and I know for a fact that most of them have seen some absolutely depraved poo poo. Squid Game is pretty popular among elementary school kids, for example.

Their stupider parents might be good at fooling themselves into thinking they can censor this stuff at home for their own peace of mind. That's because they are stupid. The only real way to prevent your kid from seeing anything objectionable is working hard on making sure they are a loser with no friends. Many of them put a lot of effort into making their child an isolated depressive. To them, it is far better for their child to be a friendless shut-in than a kid who accidentally saw a titty.

They all seem to forget what it was like when the teacher let kids use dictionaries in grade school. About half of them immediately gravitate towards looking up dirty words. They do this on the internet too, despite what they'd like to believe about their little innocent angels.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Would you say this is insensitive what my Fiance(40M) told me(35F)?

quote:

We had date yesterday.

On the way back, I was talking about how excited I was about upcoming Concert. I asked him what are you most excited about it and he said he's not that excited about it.

I immediately felt bit sad and also because the ticket costed me nearly $3000. (it was all sold out so i bought it at resale value.)

I told him nicely with smile,

'Hey let's be bit more enthusiastic about since it costed me so much money.'

and he told me he's not going to fake his enthusiasm about it because it's fake.

and he doesn't want to be fake. I asked him 'didn't you say you wanted to go?'. He said yes but he's not going crazy about it. He said if I want to go with someone else by all means I should go with someone else. We had great dinner so i didn't wanted to ruin the night, so i just kept it quiet.

When I was securing the ticket, because the ticket was so expensive, I asked him, only say you want to go if you really really want to go because the tickets are so expensive and I have no problem going by myself and have fun- and he said he really really wanted to go.

What I don't understand is he sees me so excited and happy and looking forward to go to this concert but say that to me?

I don't think it's not about being genuine or being fake,

more of a manner? not sure.

I tried to understand it from he's pov, but even if I were him, I don't think I would say something like that?

and just the way he was saying he doesn't want to be fake in front of me, that I should not want him to fake it then how would I know if what he's saying is genuine.

does this count as gaslighting?

oh and he knows how expensive the ticket was. I told him exactly how much I spend on it saying I really hope it's worth it.

I'm honestly more interested in what guys think of this. but please let me know what you think.

I want to talk to him about it today, since I had time to think more about it, and I still don't understand. Part of me wanted to see If I could shrug it off, but I don't think that's gonna happen.

I want to get one thing straight, I'm upset about the way he said and reacted. not the the ticket price. I think I would feel the same even it was $300 ticket.

It's this feeling that he didn't give crap about what I would feel when he said that.

I was so excited and happy and him saying that was just instant buzzkill.

What did he expect me to say or react to that? and for him to tell me "well you don't want to me fake it, don't you?"

TL;DR! Am I being reasonable when I think he's response was insensitive and careless?

bolding OP's. first of all, she sounds exhausting. second of all, guess the concert it's a bts concert

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for thinking my (F22) brother (M30) reacted a bit too rashly for something that took place years ago?

Oooof this one hits me in the memories.

When I was a kid, I always wanted to be a board game designer. My dad had a huge collection of old Avalon Hill games from when he was a teenager in the 60s and 70s just collecting dust. Dune, Diplomacy, Panzer Blitz, some other cool classics. My brother and I would pop them open and pore over the (very complicated) rules. We'd create our own variants and test them out with our friends.

I'd also spend ages just prototyping little games. I'd create art, lore, rulebooks, make miniatures out of art supplies, etc. I'd set them up and ask my family to try them - my parents would say they would, but never once in my entire childhood did they actually sit down to try one of my creations.

They'd spend a ton of money forcing me into sports programs that I had zero interest in whatsoever and actively hated, but they decided that boardgames would rot my brain and they would harass me if they caught me playing them with my friends. I could 'earn' boardgame time by doing things they liked. For example I could play Risk for 3 hours with my friends if I spent also 3 hours shooting hoops in our driveway. All this did was really just force me to hate sports in general and avoid doing them at all times unless I was 'earning time' in front of my parents, because I'd think it would be a waste to spend an hour playing a pickup football game with my friends outside the school if my parents weren't there to witness it and earn me time-credit.

My parents were otherwise pretty cool - not abusive or anything, and they would let me rot my brain with gory horror movies, scifi books, and that sort of thing but they would just get irrationally upset about boardgames. I eventually just let them win and stopped playing them entirely because it wasn't worth the constant fights and belittlement.

Now, I am positive my little child-games sucked the same way a little kid's artwork sucks - they were probably hastily thought out, but a little bit of humoring me would have probably gone a long way.

Now flash forward to 2013 or so. Boardgames are popular and there are loads of creative designs coming out to appeal to a wide variety of people.

My parents get into boardgames and have their friends over for boardgame nights. I came over one night while we played my dad said something like "How come you never became a game designer? Looks like you could have made bank getting into this in the early days!"

Mr. Grapes! fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 4, 2021

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Oooof this one hits me in the memories.

When I was a kid, I always wanted to be a board game designer. My dad had a huge collection of old Avalon Hill games from when he was a teenager in the 60s and 70s just collecting dust. Dune, Diplomacy, Panzer Blitz, some other cool classics. My brother and I would pop them open and pore over the (very complicated) rules. We'd create our own variants and test them out with our friends.

I'd also spend ages just prototyping little games. I'd create art, lore, rulebooks, make miniatures out of art supplies, etc. I'd set them up and ask my family to try them - my parents would say they would, but never once in my entire childhood did they actually sit down to try one of my creations.

They'd spend a ton of money forcing me into sports programs that I had zero interest in whatsoever and actively hated, but they decided that boardgames would rot my brain and they would harass me if they caught me playing them with my friends. I could 'earn' boardgame time by doing things they liked. For example I could play Risk for 3 hours with my friends if I spent also 3 hours shooting hoops in our driveway. All this did was really just force me to hate sports in general and avoid doing them at all times unless I was 'earning time' in front of my parents, because I'd think it would be a waste to spend an hour playing a pickup football game with my friends outside the school if my parents weren't there to witness it and earn me time-credit.

My parents were otherwise pretty cool - not abusive or anything, and they would let me rot my brain with gory horror movies, scifi books, and that sort of thing but they would just get irrationally upset about boardgames. I eventually just let them win and stopped playing them entirely because it wasn't worth the constant fights and belittlement.

Now, I am positive my little child-games sucked the same way a little kid's artwork sucks - they were probably hastily thought out, but a little bit of humoring me would have probably gone a long way.

Now flash forward to 2013 or so. Boardgames are popular and there are loads of creative designs coming out to appeal to a wide variety of people.

My parents get into boardgames and have their friends over for boardgame nights. I came over one night while we played my dad said something like "How come you never became a game designer? Looks like you could have made bank getting into this in the early days!"

And the jury acquitted you at your murder trial because you told them this story, right? I don't understand how else you could be on the the forums right now posting this anecdote. I guess you could have a contraband phone.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

Evil Willow posted:

Death to HOAs!

AITA for losing my poo poo after the HOA prevented my disabled veteran neighbor from making NECESSARY adjustments to his house?

I don't get HOAs. What can they even do? Evict you from your own home? Like, just ignore them.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Wow, wait til her daughter finds out about the internet.

I am a teacher, and I talk to kids without their parents around, and I know for a fact that most of them have seen some absolutely depraved poo poo. Squid Game is pretty popular among elementary school kids, for example.

Their stupider parents might be good at fooling themselves into thinking they can censor this stuff at home for their own peace of mind. That's because they are stupid. The only real way to prevent your kid from seeing anything objectionable is working hard on making sure they are a loser with no friends. Many of them put a lot of effort into making their child an isolated depressive. To them, it is far better for their child to be a friendless shut-in than a kid who accidentally saw a titty.

They all seem to forget what it was like when the teacher let kids use dictionaries in grade school. About half of them immediately gravitate towards looking up dirty words. They do this on the internet too, despite what they'd like to believe about their little innocent angels.

I was a loser with no friends and the existence of the internet meant I saw some EXTREMELY objectionable poo poo. It's pretty easy!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

TK8325 posted:

I don't get HOAs. What can they even do? Evict you from your own home? Like, just ignore them.

You sign a contract when you purchase a home under the purview of an HOA and they can put a lien on your house and I think even force you to sell.

E: We had the one story about the dude who bought a house just outside the HOA and he got to tell them go go eat poo poo.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Batterypowered7 posted:

And the jury acquitted you at your murder trial because you told them this story, right? I don't understand how else you could be on the the forums right now posting this anecdote. I guess you could have a contraband phone.

That's the thing. They are otherwise very cool people and not like the parents you see in horror stories. I've got trans and gay cousins, they are totally supportive. My sister wanted to be a scientist growing up and they were totally down with it and now she's a scientist. They've never started any weird in-law poo poo with my girlfriend or the partners of my siblings. They were cool with us dating outside our race. They treated all our pets lovingly and let me even indulge in getting weird ones like lizards and frogs.

It's just like I managed to find the one thing they irrationally hated and I could never understand why - especially because now they are total converts and even buy their own games and follow some gaming youtubers and stuff. My dad was even a life-long Tolkien-nerd and was decorating my childhood bedroom with Frank Frazetta artwork so they are not against things that are 'geeky' by nature.

The only thing I could think of that would have been its origin would have been the weird Satanic Panic around Dungeons and Dragons and such. I never even had DnD, nor expressed interest in it as a child because I wasn't really aware of its existence. I got into it decades later when my friends roped me into a game as an adult, but as a child it wasn't even on my radar. I did get a good ice-burn in on my mom once when she told me that games would turn me into a murderer, and sports would make a me a better person. "Just like OJ!" I replied. That didn't go over well.

There was just this one thing that pissed them off and would lead to fights at the dinner table on any day in which I admitted to playing boardgames. It is absolutely bizarre.

Mr. Grapes! fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 4, 2021

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

TK8325 posted:

I don't get HOAs. What can they even do? Evict you from your own home?

yes

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

Batterypowered7 posted:

You sign a contract when you purchase a home under the purview of an HOA and they can put a lien on your house and I think even force you to sell.

E: We had the one story about the dude who bought a house just outside the HOA and he got to tell them go go eat poo poo.

Why would anybody ever agree with that? I'm gonna buy a house and let somebody else dictate what I can and can't do with it. That's crazy.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
They're typically set up when a developer buys some land and builds homes on it, or when people want to create a governing body to manage a property. The building I live in has an HOA and its mostly concerned with building maintenance, landscaping of the interior walkways, and more recently seismic retrofitting.

The nominal justification for it is that for the average person their home is the most valuable asset they own and comprises the majority of their wealth. So it's supposed to exist to protect the value of your single largest asset in case, say, someone develops brain worms and becomes a cat hoarding weirdo who stinks up the entire block by allowing their home to turn into a giant litter box. But when you get a bunch of suburbanite homebodies together you're going to get some really stupid micromanagement poo poo going on, like dictating what color a home's paintjob can be.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
You can't buy the home otherwise.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

HOAs feel like something racists set up originally to keep POC families out of neighborhoods.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Batterypowered7 posted:

HOAs feel like something racists set up originally to keep POC families out of neighborhoods.

This too but that was part of a systemic effort of denying home loans to otherwise eligible non-white applicants, homeowners refusing to sell to anyone other than whites, or local realtors just straight up refusing to work with POC. Unless the realtor wanted to bust up a block by moving in a single black family to scare the other residents into selling ASAP.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

There's quite a bit of that, but the other thing is that it can make things much easier for developers to have one authority to deal with. If you're building a new subdivision in stages, having just the HOA board to deal with saves a lot of headaches.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Batterypowered7 posted:

Like everything, they are and are often still used that way.

For further reading, blockbusting and redlining

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
Americans talk about freedom and liberty and not having The Man tell them what to do but are happy to let a smaller Man dictate the height of their grass

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Gnoman posted:

There's quite a bit of that, but the other thing is that it can make things much easier for developers to have one authority to deal with. If you're building a new subdivision in stages, having just the HOA board to deal with saves a lot of headaches.

Gotcha, unions but only for rich white busybodies

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

PancakeTransmission posted:

Americans talk about freedom and liberty and not having The Man tell them what to do but are happy to let a smaller Man dictate the height of their grass

I feel in my bones that a manacured lawn is a sure sign of a deeply troubled mind.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TK8325 posted:

Why would anybody ever agree with that? I'm gonna buy a house and let somebody else dictate what I can and can't do with it. That's crazy.

You don't get a choice. Homes are organised into HOAs when they are developed and there is no way for a property to leave a HOA.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

truly a land of contrasts

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mx. posted:

bolding OP's. first of all, she sounds exhausting. second of all, guess the concert it's a bts concert

$3000 for one god drat ticket is fuckin insane. That’s almost as much as a ticket to the Súper bowl.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

The Lone Badger posted:

You don't get a choice. Homes are organised into HOAs when they are developed and there is no way for a property to leave a HOA.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

$3000 for one god drat ticket is fuckin insane. That’s almost as much as a ticket to the Súper bowl.

I don’t think you get BTS.

Frankly neither do I, I’m hideously out of it, but all I know is BTS = might as well be the second coming of Christ.

astronautism
Oct 3, 2002

Mx. posted:

What's wrong with Built to Spill?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

teen witch posted:

I don’t think you get BTS.

Frankly neither do I, I’m hideously out of it, but all I know is BTS = might as well be the second coming of Christ.

BTS stands for Boyfriends To Spinsters

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

The funny thing is in my post-communist country we had something very similar to the HOA, nominally meant to govern the maintenance of those bigass apartment blocks,but in reality to check that you were being ideologically proper. It was pretty universally hated.
I found it profoundly ironic when I first learned about HOAa in the land of the free.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
I know a guy irl who is sort of the opposite of Mike the Chess prodigy from a few pages ago.

He was a very talented chess player as a kid and his parents were supportive and encouraging. With their help he became a grand master but he just wasn't quite good enough to be one of the top players who win the big tournaments etc. Now he is middle aged dude with zero skills apart from chess and he is barely scraping by on the money he gets for coaching kids. He resents his parents for letting him go all in on this game and he doesn't even like chess anymore lol.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Lot 49 posted:

Now he is middle aged dude with zero skills apart from chess and he is barely scraping by on the money he gets for coaching kids. He resents his parents for letting him go all in on this game and he doesn't even like chess anymore lol.

GM's and even IM's can make surprisingly good money streaming their Lichess games on Twitch. He'd need a gimmick to stand out though. Being hot is easiest but I sometimes watch an average (for an IM) who built his large following by being all in on a dubious/meme gambit. Stafford in his case. If your guy hates chess now that probably wouldn't appeal but it might be worth mentioning next time you chat.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Husband(28M) did nothing for our wedding anniversary (or my birthday or any holiday recently) is punishing me(28F) for it.

quote:

My husband(28M) tends to 'drop the ball' when it comes to social obligations and conventions. This includes, but is not limited to, Birthdays, Holidays, Wedding Party duties, keeping track of family events, etc. He has made an effort in the past when we were dating to keep these kinds of things up, ~10-4 years ago, but has sort of defaulted to 'allowing' me(28F) to manage these kinds of things ever since we were in a serious relationship and now married for 3 years. I have been the go-to to consult and purchase gifts for his friends and family, making sure his schedule has important events detailed and he requests time off work, and I plan travel arrangements often(flights, road trips, cat sitters etc), as we live far away from many of his friends and family.

I actually don't mind doing this. To be clear we both work full time, and have separate friends and hobbies, and I really don't mind doing the 'remembering' - as he likes to say for both of us. He works hard too, and I'm good at coordinating family stuff and buying gifts.

My issue is this, my husband makes me feel like garbage for having expectations of him when it is MY birthday, or OUR wedding anniversary. I send him links to things that I like months before these events, my friends will even call or text him with, "what are you doing for OP's birthday next week?" And he still does literally nothing. The last time he got me a gift was in 2015 I think? And I could live without stupid things like gifts if he would just give one single poo poo about me. Get me a card I'll say, buy me a coffee, literally do anything because I am incredibly low maintenence. He shows up with nothing and then tells me to not be upset, goes on about how I need to not get upset about everything and etc.

Because I am a human I do feel sad when he ignores these wild expectations I have for him and may shed a tear or two. This to my husband translates to me getting 'upset' and 'ruining the evening' and 'he has to actually go to work tomorrow and doesn't have time for this' and so on so forth. The reality is me crying in the bathroom while he is angry at me for crying and plays osrs because he's not going to deal with my emotions.

I really wanted to break this garbage cycle today and be in control of how I felt. Today is our 3rd wedding anniversary.

As per usual I had a handmade card prepared for my husband and stashed it in his laptop so he would find it as soon as he went to play osrs this afternoon. I knew he was going to be a poo poo again and get me nothing, and I was mentally prepared. When he came home from work and opened his card he looked guilty because he hadn't gotten me anything, he also noticed that I had done all of his chores in addition to my own and looked more guilty because he had done nothing for me. And I WAS FINE. I smiled and asked if he would like to do anything to celebrate tonight and he said that he preferred to finish a quest in osrs and then do other things.. While this is obviously hurtful I chose to not react or be negative about this. I simply said I wanted to go for a walk and stop by somr shops, and grab a bite to eat (we live downtown in our city, and this is not uncommon for me to do alone).

This is where things get annoying. My husband starts to get defensive and tell ME that I'M upset. That I should have communicated that I wanted to spend time together on our anniversary, blah blah. I respond to this nicely with a 'I'm not upset, and he's welcome to join, and if there's anything I can do for you please let me know" I kept my cool and continued to chose not to react, it felt like he was trying to argue, but I really wasn't interested in being upset.

I had a great evening on my wedding anniversary buying a new sweater from a local botique, and getting wine and h'orderves at my fav restaurant while reading a book solo. I felt happy when I was walking home that I took charge of my emotions and had a good evening.

When I got home my husband started up the same argumentative language at a higher caliber. He keeps poking me with how it's my fault that he didn't know my 'expectations' and that I just need to admit that I'm 'upset'. I lose a tear at this point because I'm at a loss about what I cluld have done better.

I am seeking advise on how to be less sensitive, I thought I was doing really well, but it only took a few pokes and prods to make me feel sad at the end of today. I feel like maybe my husband is feeling guilty about these things and projecting, and maybe the fact that I am a thoughtful gift giver and planner makes that guilt worse? I don't want to stop being thoughtful towards him just because of this and I'm looking for a way to help lur relationship not have a rift at every holiday or birthday.

i got a really good tip on how to make your 4th wedding anniversary less lovely (it's divorce)

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for sending my neighbor venmo requests every day until he pays for the laptop his kid broke?

quote:

I am a high school student and live with my family. I was doing some homework on the patio table outside and I was the only one home.

I went inside to refill my water bottle and came back out to see my laptop on the ground, and my neighbors kid running around the deck. The neighbor lives next door in a different house, we don't have a shared yard, so I was not expecting his kid coming around.

I tried to catch her and ask what had happened to the laptop and she ran away to her own house and wouldn't talk to me

I went home and checked on the ring camera and saw a video of my neighbors kid running into the yard, running under the table, pushing up on the underside of the table causing everything on it to tilt and slide to the ground, and running away, in the under a minute I'd been inside.

I downloaded the video to my phone and went to the neighbors house to ask him for money to replace the laptop.

I decided to ask for $1700 for the laptop and $159 for the lost time that I spent doing the homework that I'd have to redo. I valued my lost time at the amount I'm paid at work since I'd likely have to skip a couple shifts at work to redo the assignment.

I went to the neighbors house and he said he wasn't gonna pay because I shouldn't have left the laptop out and anything could have happened like rain or something.

I said it was a clear day and I only went inside for a minute. Anyway "anything" didn't happen, I had a video of his kid 'happening' to my laptop and since she was too little to pay for it herself he had to as her dad. He said no.

Now this might be petty but I have his Venmo because my family and his family did a barbecue block party thing and I had to pay him for a share of the shopping.

So every day I've sent a $1859 request to him and he keeps declining it.

I told my family and they think I shouldn't of left out the laptop and that I was harassing him doing that and they will replace it for me. They would use some of my college fund money.

But I feel like they shouldn't have to pay. Plus I'll need that college fund for college!

So I've kept venmo requesting him and also posted the video from the camera on the community Facebook saying "Hey any advice here? I had a neighors kid come to my house and break something expensive, on camera. Are they supposed to pay and how can I do that? The parents have been refusing to pay a bunch of times. Is there some home owner insurance to help? Sorry for dumb questions, I'm a high schooler and have never dealt with something like this before!"

Anyway my parents found the post and got upset at me for stirring the poo poo, and for continuing to venmo request him

AITA for being so stubborn about getting paid for the broken laptop?

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Mx. posted:

Husband(28M) did nothing for our wedding anniversary (or my birthday or any holiday recently) is punishing me(28F) for it.

i got a really good tip on how to make your 4th wedding anniversary less lovely (it's divorce)

Yeah fuckin divorce him, he's an rear end in a top hat even when you're having a good time by yourself because he can't be bothered to remember your loving wedding anniversary and, instead, would prefer to play old school RuneScape.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for sending my neighbor venmo requests every day until he pays for the laptop his kid broke?

Get em, kid.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

Your parents are absolute dogshit, learn this lesson and remember it years from now when they beg you for money which the inevitably will.

Also file charges, gently caress em.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Soylent Pudding posted:

Obviously not the rear end in a top hat, but definitely dumb for wasting his time on an approach that the neighbor can ignore with zero consequences. This seems like an open and shut small claims court case.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Soylent Pudding posted:

It's called small claims court.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

small claims court costs money, being annoying until you get what you want is free

go OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

In the meantime you might want a $1700 laptop for homework, but you definitely don't need one.