Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Less so now that they've done away with the derby system and assign individual ships catch quotas. De-incentivizes crews from working through conditions like that, and lets them either hunker down or move away from storms since they can come back later without risking their catch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

The Navy has been outdoing itself this past while.

https://internewscast.com/business/navy-faces-prospect-that-sub-crash-will-force-uss-connecticut-out-of-service/

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I remember my dad telling me about the time he was working at the steel works and some guy came in with fancy cowbow boots, which they tucked their pants into, to you know show off the boots. Anyway bit of melted steel accidentally flowed into them, and well apparently they couldn't save his foot. (Glasgow in the 60s possibly they'd have more luck today.)

After that rule went out about never tucking your pants into boots.

The moral of the story of course being don't work in a place where you have a chance of getting splashed with molten metal if you can at all avoid it.

I mean except for maybe volcanologists.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
nah your rule still applies, they dont work with molten metal.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Metal is highly conductive, meaning it will gently caress you up worse than anything except maybe live steam.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

PhazonLink posted:

I think this posts and my post on the next page explained why there's no fire

tbh you probably get worse/better results with liquid water so less heat is wasted in the solid to liquid phase.

Now I'm wondering if it'd be more or less dangerous with a single large ice cube the size of the fryer basket.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mister Speaker posted:

Now I'm wondering if it'd be more or less dangerous with a single large ice cube the size of the fryer basket.

I'd imagine a bunch of smaller cubes are worse due to surface area. More surface area means faster ice->steam conversion.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/rizgXHq.mp4

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

But is the food any good?

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Azhais posted:

But is the food any good?

Despite all the rage, there's still just rats in the sage.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

live action Ratatouille looking good

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Looks like they need to make the hole bigger.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The rat fire brigade returning from another successful mission.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

That's the USS SAN FRANSISCO, who ran into a seamount going close to, if not at, flank speed several years ago. A guy working in the engine room died because he was coming out of a bilge he had been cleaning. The sub stopped so fast that the deck plate, which had been sitting on the deck, flew forward and gave him some kind of massive head wound, which killed him. There's another picture of this boat I can find that will show just how close they came to losing the whole boat.

edit for pic:

The SONAR Sphere is the crushed ball looking thing up front. It is "hollow" and the older boats had some electronic equipment in there. It's about a 30 foot tube that you have to get on your belly (or back) and crawl down to get to it. The access for that tunnel is a watertight hatch that you enter and exit through the wall in someone's rack. Usually a SONAR Tech has that rack because it sucks to have to wake someone up to crawl down the birthing tube and it might as well suck for the people who own the space. Anyway that is where the mooring lines are kept. Which I circled here

Never mind the process of the most junior guy having to crawl down, backwards holding part of the line, then crawling up and getting the next part, the whole time there is less and less space for you because the mooring lines are now in the tunnel with you. Anyway I have seen where a lazy SONAR tech hasn't closed that hatch all the way because "I just have to get back in there later." For all of the engineering and structural integrity that saved the boat, everyone would have died if STS3 Baggadonuts decided to be a shitbag that day.

Deus Ex Macklemore fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Nov 4, 2021

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Flyinglemur posted:

That's the USS SAN FRANSISCO, who ran into a seamount going close to, if not at, flank speed several years ago.

The mind boggles at how this transpired. Does the sonar not pick up the giant undersea mountain? Did the US Navy outsource their sub autopilot to Tesla?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Z the IVth posted:

The mind boggles at how this transpired. Does the sonar not pick up the giant undersea mountain? Did the US Navy outsource their sub autopilot to Tesla?

Ships and subs aren't running active sonar 24/7. First and foremost, going active immediately tells every nearby ship or sonobuoy exactly where you are. Second, going active is irritating to the crew, because they can hear it, too. Third, it's bad for the native wildlife (although the navy doesn't care as much about this one).

Passive sonar will tell you a lot, but it doesn't tell you everything. The bottom of the ocean is constantly changing in ways we don't quite appreciate on land. It's a dangerous place, and submariners are nuts.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
While we're Navy OSHA adjacent let me tell you about one of the other days I should have probably died. My first ship was an LST, a Long Slow Target if you will. It's job was to beach itself, drop a ramp and let a bunch of Marines run out and catch some bullets. The design was such that up to 5 LSTs could link up from bow ramp to stern gate in some kind of terrible Skimmer Centipede to release even more Marines at once, but I kinda think that it never really happened in real life because lol.

These ships had two .50 cal mounts all the way up front under the derrick arms, where the arrow is pointing.

(please ignore the strip of paper seen at the bottom. Back in my day, you sent developed pictures home with descriptions on the back. My mom made a copy of the backs of my pictures and put them on the front before putting them in an album because she's a good mom)

The top of the derrick arm is about 60 feet off the water, give or take. These ships also featured a flat bottom design and a very shallow draft, you know, to ground itself on purpose for ThE mIsSiOn. In high seas, or just sometimes calmish seas with strong swells under the surface, it wasn't out of the ordinary to take 30 degree rolls for a few hours at a time. This alone is enough content for this thread if you think about that kind of hell. When this happened it was also common for the bow to lift up and slam back down, making "bow shots". This was 30 years ago so I didn't have a phone to take a bunch of pics but I got these two, which are representative of a "normal" bow shot.

Well there we were, deployed off the coast of Somalia someplace. I was in the Weapons department and the .50 cals were up on their mounts. We were taking bowshots and the Division Officer decided we needed to pull the guns off because of the saltwater. He somehow got permission so 5 of us (him included, to his credit I suppose) to go up and get them off. Each gun takes two people to mount correctly because they are a bit unwieldy. We weren't tied off but we did have life jackets on. Every time we were about to take a bow shot the Ensign would yell "HANG ON" and at that point one of my arms had whatever I was doing in it and the other was wrapped around the wire rope that was the "safety rail" up there. It was slippery as gently caress and there was saltwater in my eyes and all in all just a terrible idea. For good measure, we packed the guns with grease so that the sea salt didn't do AS MUCH damage to them, so they were also slippery.

We got done with the evolution and made it back to the superstructure when the Divo cheerily says, "well THAT was fun!" Can't believe the senior guy didn't punch him. None of the rest of us would have seen anything.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

E; f,b.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Z the IVth posted:

Like Mr. Nice! said, active sonar is super rare. So imagine you're driving in a car with the windows blacked out in a giant parking lot. You have a detailed map of the parking lot so you know where everything is and can navigate around that way. Then some rear end in a top hat builds a Smoothie King in the middle of the parking lot but doesn't tell anyone about it. That's how this happened.

Unless someone DID update the map but the guy in charge of updating it forgot to do so. Then he gets fired, which if my memory is correct, is exactly what happened. Or at least, he got blamed for it.

Passive SONAR is used to listen to things and sadly, mountains don't make a whole lot of noise. Usually.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

I am acquainted with someone involved with the incident after the fact. Word is that officers were doing some stupid poo poo and the Navy quietly covered it up. I don't have details, though.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Flyinglemur posted:

Like Mr. Nice! said, active sonar is super rare. So imagine you're driving in a car with the windows blacked out in a giant parking lot. You have a detailed map of the parking lot so you know where everything is and can navigate around that way. Then some rear end in a top hat builds a Smoothie King in the middle of the parking lot but doesn't tell anyone about it. That's how this happened.

Unless someone DID update the map but the guy in charge of updating it forgot to do so. Then he gets fired, which if my memory is correct, is exactly what happened. Or at least, he got blamed for it.

Passive SONAR is used to listen to things and sadly, mountains don't make a whole lot of noise. Usually.

If the mountain is making noise you have a different kind of problem.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Blue Footed Booby posted:

If the mountain is making noise you have a different kind of problem.

KNEW THIS WAS
ONE WAY TICKET
BUT YOU KNOW
I HAD TO COME

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

When quitting via text message just isn't impactful enough...

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Harry_Potato posted:

When quitting via text message just isn't impactful enough...

Guy probably went and enlisted in the Navy.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Random Stranger posted:

I am acquainted with someone involved with the incident after the fact. Word is that officers were doing some stupid poo poo and the Navy quietly covered it up. I don't have details, though.

The best stories always start with "hold my beer".

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Flyinglemur posted:

The article says it was going at flank speed when it hit the mountain though. To use your carpark analogy it would be flooring it through a crowded carpark with no vision, a map and totalling the car instead of having a fender bender when you hit the Smoothie King.

Re: sonar - so modern subs navigate entirely by maps these days? Just using a map when you're cruising the open sea is fine but bumbling around on the seabed blind sounds unwise.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Z the IVth posted:

Re: sonar - so modern subs navigate entirely by maps these days? Just using a map when you're cruising the open sea is fine

Not sure if it's fine, I think you might not be able to Avoid Huge Ships that way. Going beneath the surface you will at least avoid them.

Hitting another submarine is something that has happened before, though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I feel like in most of the ocean there's a significant vertical gap between the bottoms of huge ships and the tops of underwater mountains so why don't the subs just stay there

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Z the IVth posted:

The article says it was going at flank speed when it hit the mountain though. To use your carpark analogy it would be flooring it through a crowded carpark with no vision, a map and totalling the car instead of having a fender bender when you hit the Smoothie King.

Re: sonar - so modern subs navigate entirely by maps these days? Just using a map when you're cruising the open sea is fine but bumbling around on the seabed blind sounds unwise.

Yes it was going flank speed through a part of the parking lot that was previously marked as clear. If the charts are up to date and all the navigation equipment is working, and I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear that they don't use regular maps they use more advanced equipment and techniques that I don't want to get into here for a couple of reasons, then it should be fine. Submarines go flying around the ocean at flank speed and don't hit anything everyday.

There are sometimes when you have to floor it through the parking lot, and sometimes when you have to go slower and listen to what might be around you. Not every minute of every submarine underway is hunt for Red October.

As for the Connecticut, the public statement is that it also bumped into an uncharted under sea obstacle like a mountain. The fact that no one has been publicly fired yet kind of backs that up. I'm also very familiar with people who have been involved in collisions as a submariner and I can tell you that the first thing the investigators look for is who the lowest person on the chain of command is that they can blame. Don't get me wrong, the captain gets his special attention as well and it must suck to be fired from a job because some jack hole is doing something wrong while you're in the rack sleeping.

To get this back to some more OSHA related content, I was on the second crew of the Seawolf. I wasn't on the commissioning crew, I was on the crew that took her out for sea trials. I've got a couple of stories that I'm not sure if I can share, but the one I certainly can share has to do with blowing the poo poo tanks. It's pretty common on ships in submarines that someone messes up a valve line up and when you apply pressurized air to the poo poo tank it blows somewhere inside instead of out to the holding tank through the hose. This happened more than once on Seawolf because one of the drawings was missing a valve. That valve was in the head on the top deck. So when it would blow pressurized poo poo into the bathroom, it would all run down into the decks below it. I spent and Easter Monday with the rest of my duty section cleaning poo poo out of every crack and crevice. At one point I asked the Duty officer if we could get some OSHA approved equipment outside of the blue gloves I was wearing and I got pulled aside and got a counseling chit for it.

I kind of think that military OSHA is cheating because holy gently caress.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
There's a lot of conditions to contend with depending on what the sub is tasked with doing.

You have what's called a thermal layer in the ocean that can help or hinder the transmission of sound, depending on your position relative to it. Deeper than the layer, and it will help mask any sounds you make from ships on the surface. Above the layer, and it could bounce sound between the layer and the surface, greatly increasing the range at which it can be heard, same is true for traveling within the layer.

If you're trying to stay stealthy, you want to stay under that layer. In fact, the faster you want to travel, the deeper you want to be to control sound (not 100% of the time depending on conditions, but this is a general rule of thumb). At flank speed, you may start cavitating at shallower depths, which is loud underwater.

What I'm saying is that it's not that simple, they could have just as easily drifted into something after stopping or trying to stop, could have been off on their positioning, any number of things that make it just a thing that happens in submarining.

This absolutely isn't the first time and won't be the last time a submarine collides with terrain at speed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

Well, everybody always navigates entirely by maps. Whether it's a paper chart or an electronic database or your own mental model, you've got to have some understanding of where you are and where you are trying to go in order to get there.

:spergin:

I think you are talking about navigating by dead reckoning, though, where the navigator just looks at a map and compares it to the ship's heading and speed and estimates where they are. That is a major part of undersea navigation but not the whole story. Military submarines have instruments that can passively detect changes in the earth's gravitational field caused by undersea mass concentrations, and comparing those readings to a chart of the known concentrations helps create an unambiguous position fix.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Wheeeee!

https://i.imgur.com/2UPGeb5.mp4

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
fuckin love backpack blowers

the sheer volume of woody debris you can clear out of a backyard with just two backpack blowers, and then maybe one guy with a rake lightly teasing poo poo up...its pretty satisfying

also on a really hot day you just angle it at your ankle and it will get all the sweat off your legs and balls

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

20 Blunts posted:

also on a really hot day you just angle it at your ankle and it will get all the sweat off your legs and balls
Do your balls hang low? Do they wobble ...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Z the IVth posted:

Destin from Smarter Every Day did a series on submarines recently, and he did a video about sonar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqqaYs7LjlM

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Flyinglemur posted:

the poo poo tank

So many of mankind's amazing technological achievements are complicated by poop.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Cojawfee posted:

Destin from Smarter Every Day did a series on submarines recently, and he did a video about sonar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqqaYs7LjlM

This whole series he did is fantastic. He does a great job of explaining how torpedo tubes and O2 generation work. Its rare to find a decent, watchable sub documentary series and this is definitely the best I've seen in a while. Even with the Nuke Senior Chief who is desperately trying to make it into the Command Master Chief pipeline.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I think subs use INS for navigation too don't they? I would guess you're [supposed to be] looking at a lot of different navigation aids and making sure they all agree

Which doesn't help of course if you're exactly where you think you are, and so is the undersea mountain

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 4, 2021

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Flyinglemur posted:

... There are sometimes when you have to floor it through the parking lot...

No, incorrect. You should never "floor it" in a parking lot, what the gently caress