Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Only song that makes me think
"Nintendo rules"
is this track by a game made by Sega for them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl6c55pclgg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Zq8EMCdZ4

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
So apparently Binding of Isaac: Repentance dropped today?

Been waiting for this for a while!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mezzanon posted:

Yeah I will definitely Play through Shining Force 1 and 2 and Phantasy star 4 again (and some more toejam and earl). But also, sega, please put Mutant League Hockey on the Switch, and General Chaos, and Haunting starring Polterguy.

Also put Ogre battle on the snes and Ogre battle 64 on the 64 on my loving switch, nintendo you goddamn cowards

Until then I am freebasing Dungeon Encounters and the Advance Castlevania collection and Dragons roar age of yoko taro cards

I believe all of those are either developed or published by EA, so... good luck :smith:

I absolutely love General Chaos, and Mutant League Football.

Haunting is very neat but gets old fast. I've played it... to death. :haw:

The Postman
May 12, 2007

You can store your DIYs in the storage in Animal Crossing now. That's the power of Nintendo baby!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ring Fit is the tenth best selling Nintendo switch game at 12.2 million, that's pretty nuts

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ogre Battle was published by Enix, which means it's under Square-Enix's purview now. You're not gonna see it on SNESflix or 64flix - Squenix doesn't seem interested in the service at all - but they may get around to releasing an Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre collection on Switch at some point before the heat death of the universe. I'd have put money on those getting a remaster/remake before ActRaiser, but I guess not.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Walla posted:

I really just want to play some fun games that aren't 100 hour RPGs.

So I don't know which of the following you have but great cheap games for small bursts or equivalent HOURS of gameplay (this eventually became a recommendation of non-JRPGs that I have. The Good for Non-gamers is a tag approved by my partner who generally hates games of all stripes):

-Hades. It's as good as people say it is. A genuine delight to play and I'm glad I managed to break out of it late this summer because if I hadn't I'd still be playing it. Tons of fun and you can sink as much time in it as you want, though it's hard to drop

-Stardew Valley. Another great pick up and play. Make your own goals and farm. Can also be awfully addictive and very "one more day" but it's a great little game.

-Into the Breach. Fantastic little strategy game that'll keep you busy. You can pick up and play and let it be as often as you like.

-Streets of Rage 4: One of the best, if not the best Beat 'em Up ever. It's incredibly fun, very simple to play, hard to master, and the generously priced DLC (I think total it's got to be some 25-30 euro, well worth it), adds a lot of longevity to it.

-Celeste is an excellent platformer that doesn't overstay its welcome and you can really work on the harder levels if you like.

-Mario+Rabbids is a great short strategy game with a bunch of options. That sequels due pretty soon.

-A Robot Named Fight- may not be everyone's cup of tea, but if Randomized Super Metroid sounds like your thing... well it hooked me for far longer than I would've expected.

-Shovel Knight- Great retro platformers that are insanely fun and quick to get your kicks from.

-Any of the Steamworld games, 2 and Heist in particular are loads of fun from platformer action or strategy respectively.

-Dicey Dungeons is cute fun. "randomized" dungeons and rather hard you can sink as much time into it as you like.

-Nuclear Throne is an excellent arcadey shooter. It's brutal though, so up to you how much time you want to sink into it.

-Return of the Obra Dinn is an experience that you cannot miss out on. It's a pity it has to end because solving it is a delight. Good for non-gamers.

-Good Job is silly physics simulation. You can get some laughs playing it. Good for non-gamers.

-Part Time UFO is a great series of tiny challenges that you can knock out at your leisure. Good for non-gamers.

-Untitled Goose Game is the very definition of short and fun alongside A Short Hike. You can't go wrong with either. The two are Good for non-gamers.

-Broforce is a laugh and half. The only problem is that once finished you may want more Broforce.

-Yoku's Island Express is a delight and a wonderful mix of genres. Very easy to get into and it'll make you want to 100% it. It's not long.

-Katamari Damacy Reroll is a wonderful little game with wonky controls. Very unique concept and you'll surely enjoy it.

-Donut County is a funny concept that doesn't last long but it's fun. Good for non-gamers.

-VVVVVV excellent platformer with style and music a bunch of challenging levels. If you liked Celeste you'll like this.

-Tetris Effect. It's the best tetris game out. You can't not enjoy it.

-If you have cash to spare Link's Awakening is a delight as is Tropical Freeze.

Games like Smash and Splatoon are expensive but have fun quick play multiplayer, but you need Online for that. If you do already have Online Basic then you should dip into some of the SNES games, they're genuinely great. From any of the Mario games, to Super Metroid, LttP, but absolutely Yoshi's Island.

I realize some of the titles especially at the top of the list like Hades or Stardew Valley can become forever games, but in theory they are "short".

Someone earlier asked for a good podcast game. I recommend Lonely Mountains: Downhill. It's a time trial racer on bikes. Can get frustrating but you can definitely listen to podcasts while crashing. I also enjoyed Hidden Folks for this, and back in the day Super Monkey Ball would be good for this sort of thing once the music ran its race.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Walla posted:

I really just want to play some fun games that aren't 100 hour RPGs.

Hollow Knight! Hollow Knight! HOLLOW KNIGHT

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
They said fun.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

i want more pokemon snap

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Zurtilik posted:

They said fun.

Hollow Knight is really fun!

I say this as someone who was put off by the first hour or so and only came back to it much later.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Ring Fit is the tenth best selling Nintendo switch game at 12.2 million, that's pretty nuts

I really should play more of that :smith:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Muscle Tracer posted:

I really should play more of that :smith:

same, I was really in the habit for a while and then I injured my foot and just completely fell off it

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'm planning on using it to recover my fitness after 6+months of no exercise cause operation until going to the gym doesn't feel like an exercise in itself.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Hollow Knight does seem fun, I just have no reflexes so I'm mad jealous.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Zurtilik posted:

Hollow Knight does seem fun, I just have no reflexes so I'm mad jealous.

Like zero?

I want to say it's possible with rough video game skills, but yeah maybe not... There are certain badge combos you can make that help you cheese some stuff, but you still need to get to that point.

Still it's less "reflexes" and more pattern recognition. Now if you're just slow then that may be a problem because even if you have no reflexes but you learn to recognize the patterns and how to respond effectively you can definitely get through it.

Generally, I'd say if you could beat say... Celeste, you can probably beat Hollow Knight.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I've seen it go as low as $7.50 before and think it's worth trying out at that price even if you think you won't get very far (but you might surprise yourself).

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I think patience would save me a lot, but eh. I kept getting crushed by the first boss even.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Commander Keene posted:

Ogre Battle was published by Enix, which means it's under Square-Enix's purview now. You're not gonna see it on SNESflix or 64flix - Squenix doesn't seem interested in the service at all - but they may get around to releasing an Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre collection on Switch at some point before the heat death of the universe. I'd have put money on those getting a remaster/remake before ActRaiser, but I guess not.

The only Square Enix game I can picture ever showing up on SNES is Super Mario RPG and even then they could be secretly working on a remake with Nintendo.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Hollow Knight is fun if you enjoy overcoming challenges by practicing your skills over and over but it's really frustrating if you just want to enjoy the pretty art

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

My OLED Switch kicks rear end, I love playing in handheld and it looks amazing now. The new dock is great. Huge upgrade over my launch model.

The NSO+Expansion Pass is great, for about the same price of the upgrade my wife and I can each have the Animal Crossing DLC without having to buy it individually. The N64 games are fun, Sin & Punishment is the most incomprehensible game I’ve ever played but it’s also fun as hell, it rules. If they include more DLC in the future, that’ll be huge.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Detective No. 27 posted:

The only Square Enix game I can picture ever showing up on SNES is Super Mario RPG and even then they could be secretly working on a remake with Nintendo.
Assuming there is a remake/Pixel Remaster-ish situation going on, I'd buy it. Especially to convince Nintendo that further SMRPGs are a viable prospect. I dunno how likely or even possible that is though. I remember a job listing from Squenix a little while ago that some people were theorizing might be for a SMRPG remaster/remake, but I don't think anything has come of it yet, and if the nvidia leaks are true it could also easily have been for the Chrono Cross remaster.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Marx Headroom posted:

Hollow Knight is fun if you enjoy overcoming challenges by practicing your skills over and over but it's really frustrating if you just want to enjoy the pretty art

It is in fact a game and not a movie, yes

:v:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yeah if you wanna enjoy the art just watch a YouTube lmao

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Metis of the Hallways posted:

same, I was really in the habit for a while and then I injured my foot and just completely fell off it

I have no such excuse. "It was summer and I didn't want to get sweaty inside" is about the extent of it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I really hope that Chrono Cross remaster is in the works. I have an HDMI modded PS1 so I can replay it anytime but there's a small delay whenever you go to the menu because it switches from 240p to 480i. A remaster would give it a new audience too.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Quantum of Phallus posted:

yeah if you wanna enjoy the art just watch a YouTube lmao

Yeah pretty much. Or replay SotN again, a very easy game with fluid movement and an excellent soundtrack and gorgeous castle.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

That's a lot of games. I have some but I definitely need to give a few a second look. Thanks

Bleck posted:

Hollow Knight! Hollow Knight! HOLLOW KNIGHT

I said not 100 hours.

Also I don't like metroidvanias. :)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Sin & Punishment is the most incomprehensible game I’ve ever played

was not prepared foro how baffling the game was going to be lol

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I'm planning on using it to recover my fitness after 6+months of no exercise cause operation until going to the gym doesn't feel like an exercise in itself.

I lost quite a bit of fat after about 6 months of almost daily 30-40 mins ring fit. The last 3 months I added 2kg wrist weights and they help a lot with building muscle but all the yoga poses are hell, so be aware of how your body reacts because you don't want to break a bone doing something slightly more difficult like the chair pose

After you cleared out all the skill trees you can consult the subreddit which has Google excel forms listing out which exercises are good for which muscles (the in game guide is more general). Also I find the base game easy enough without the smoothies so don't break too much sweat collecting them

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
dodgeball academia if you can get past the weird Cartoon Network-y artstyle is fun

the port of Quake has some lighting issues but is mostly excellent and that game has aged really well gameplay-wise with modern controls.

Mr. Driller is for arcade/puzzle game fans, if you like games like Tetris/Tetris Attack/Dr Mario this is a good one, even though it can get hard as balls.

Luigi's Mansion 3 seems to have gotten forgotten shortly after release and I'm not sure why, it's wonderful and really easy to pick up and put down

There Is No Game is a cute well-made indie parody of classic games which I liked a lot more than I thought I would

there's also West of Loathing but apparently the developer of that is a massive scumbag or something. I really liked it, for what that's worth

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Walla posted:

That's a lot of games. I have some but I definitely need to give a few a second look. Thanks

I said not 100 hours.

Also I don't like metroidvanias. :)

Happy to help, hopefully something in there will pique your interest. Also it's good for me to keep handy on my first page of posting in case people ask for games in the future. It feels fairly comprehensive.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Don't forget hypnospace outlaw which is done by a fellow goon where you play around a dream cyberpunk version of 90s Netscape navigator (or compuserve)

Also can attest streets of rage 4 is very good, I used to play with 100years but I got way too busy at work since

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it was actually a really smart move for them to give Sin and Punishment its own unique bindings in NSO, where the right stick functions like a second analog stick instead of emulating the C buttons

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hypnospace Outlaw is great. The only game I've enjoyed playing with a mouse and keyboard.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I used the touchscreen for Hypnospace Outlaw lol. it was kind of a pain but not that bad.

M+keys is the ideal for obvious reasons

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

Yea it's a shame. I do feel like they might push out something at some point if only because they put Ogre Battle 64 on both the Wii and Wii U virtual consoles so they clearly wanna keep it around in some capacity when a lot of their games didn't even get that treatment, but I'm not gonna be holding my breath.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also if you like turn based RPGs but don't want one that's like 30 hours long Fuga: Melodies of Steel (aka the game where you fire kemonos at nazis) was enjoyable and not long by RPG standards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I lost quite a bit of fat after about 6 months of almost daily 30-40 mins ring fit. The last 3 months I added 2kg wrist weights and they help a lot with building muscle but all the yoga poses are hell, so be aware of how your body reacts because you don't want to break a bone doing something slightly more difficult like the chair pose

After you cleared out all the skill trees you can consult the subreddit which has Google excel forms listing out which exercises are good for which muscles (the in game guide is more general). Also I find the base game easy enough without the smoothies so don't break too much sweat collecting them

Thanks for the advice! That said I don't plan to break myself playing it, my main plan is to take it slowly and get used again to doing exercise. I used to go daily to the gym in front of home back when I was at university to help with back problems but after moving the gym is now farther away so I had less motivation and then corona+this operation hit me.

The fun part is when I got the game I had the Switch on my bedroom plugged to my monitor so I was literally unable to do yoga due to lack of space + monitor being to high for me to read the instructions :v: