Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

They made it all into one mode now, so the OS reacts appropriately depending on input - touch keyboard when you tap a text field, larger touch targets when resizing Windows with pen/touch, etc - but otherwise it's one experience for every use case.

It's basically the reason we've got 11 in the first place, to take the big clunky desktop UI that never really worked great for touch and making it work for everything, including potential future use cases like AR and dual screen devices. You can really see the difference in low end devices or tablets, rotating the screen actually works smoothly instead of causing it to go into a blind panic for several seconds.

Hence why if you're on a traditional desktop there isn't a major need to upgrade yet.

Huh, thanks. I'd check it out but I can't, my Kaby Lake 7y30 is apparently unsupported.

"If the decision to support one specific 7th-generation Core i7 laptop processor strikes you as odd, you don't need to look far for an explanation—this just happens to be the CPU included in Microsoft's Surface Studio 2, which Microsoft still sells but has not updated in three years"
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/08/loosened-windows-11-requirements-cover-the-surface-studio-2-but-not-much-else/

Lol. Though it looks like it might be possible to install manually but I can't quite be bothered yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I mean I dont wanna paint with a broad brush here, but it works fine on my old 4th gen i5 Surface Pro 3. Long as you install clean off a bootable flash drive I think you're fine.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

In order to turn on TPM the BIOS is telling me I need to disable "Legacy Option ROMs". Any reason that would be a bad idea? This is a Dell laptop.

No.

edit: a legacy option ROM would be needed if you like had a RAID controller card from 2003 or something

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
So I was finally able to install Windows 11 on my ancient desktop; a core i7 930 from 2010 which as far as I can tell is a 1st gen Core i7. The BIOS is so old that it isn't UEFI. I used the Rufus thumb drive method and it worked (only as a fresh install; could not do it as an upgrade which kinda sucked to be honest, I despise having to set everything up again from scratch). And it works perfectly fine on my desktop! Which definitely shows the CPU requirements are asinine.

Anyway some things I noticed about Win11:

1) It took me an ungodly amount of time to figure out where to disable sleep mode. The advanced power menu setting where you can turn off hibernation and stuff like that is almost impossible to find to the point where I actually thought it was gone.

2) The new taskbar is terrible, mostly because you can't drag a shortcut to it to have it pinned there. Why the hell was this removed?? Also no more desktop peek which is such a stupid thing to remove.

3) This is a real odd one. There's a registry edit (also an option in WinAeroTweaker) to go back to the old taskbar, which I did, and I loved it. But...this completely gets rid of the start menu somehow? I looked forever and could not figure out how to open the start menu; it's like somehow enabling the old taskbar gets rid of it entirely. The Windows key on the keyboard doesn't even work. So I guess the workaround is to use OpenShell? I'd still like to be able to choose between OpenShell and the Win11 start menu though. I could use the new taskbar, however OpenShell completely fucks up where the start button is supposed to be so clicking the start button 80% of the time will open the Win11 start menu instead of OpenShell. :psyduck:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

There are a couple alternatives to OpenShell. StartAllBack is a popular choice.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Heran Bago posted:

Not a bad idea but I have OpenShell on my server and laptop so I'm used to it. I am sure they eventually will fix the start button placement issue (though I am surprised they haven't already).

Also would like to be able to use the old taskbar without it somehow completely disabling the Win11 start menu. I'd really love to know the science behind that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Huh, thanks. I'd check it out but I can't, my Kaby Lake 7y30 is apparently unsupported.

"If the decision to support one specific 7th-generation Core i7 laptop processor strikes you as odd, you don't need to look far for an explanation—this just happens to be the CPU included in Microsoft's Surface Studio 2, which Microsoft still sells but has not updated in three years"
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/08/loosened-windows-11-requirements-cover-the-surface-studio-2-but-not-much-else/

Lol. Though it looks like it might be possible to install manually but I can't quite be bothered yet

You can bypass the CPU and TPM requirement with a single addition to the registry, so if you want to try it out then it'll take more time to download the installer than it will to apply the fix:

https://www.theverge.com/22715331/how-to-install-windows-11-unsupported-cpu-intel-amd-registry-regedit

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

13,000 upvotes on the feedback asking to restore ability to leave taskbar icons ungrouped. Thirteen thousand. Do it, you fuckers

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Has anyone had issues with double clicking being messed up? It’s like double click speed was set too slow and my doubles registered as too many. Also could be some modifier key is stuck on keyboard, I’m just chasing phantoms at this point.

Trying to figure out if bad hardware or coincidental this happened around the upgrade time.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Heran Bago posted:

SAB is $5 and works great on my i5/GTX970 2015-era desktop I put Win11 on. I didn’t really have a need to do it, and it has a TPM “slot” but no actual hardware. It installed clean and has been getting updates since installation (after the “delete the .dell method). I still have a use case for it, and didn’t want to constantly dunk on Win11 unless I was actually using a copy every day/week.

It was unusable without StartAllBack, and I paid the fee to upgrade a week into the free trial period. It’s just silly to need third party programs and registry tricks to restore functionality on what is touted as an “upgrade.”

It works well with my third gen iPad as a second monitor though. Some app on the AppStore compatible with iOS 10.3 and lower, since it hasn’t gotten any updates for years!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Noticed a bug where it likes to stack items in my taskbar on top of each other rather than, you know, giving each its own spot.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
To the goon that had the Snipping Tool issue: Apparently that's a known bug, Microsoft shipped old certificates with Windows 11, causing some apps to stop running after November 1. They did issue an update, but that doesn't seem to work on Snipping Tool and some Settings pages for some users: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...905cae14&page=1

MS is working on a fix

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

To the goon that had the Snipping Tool issue: Apparently that's a known bug, Microsoft shipped old certificates with Windows 11, causing some apps to stop running after November 1. They did issue an update, but that doesn't seem to work on Snipping Tool and some Settings pages for some users: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...905cae14&page=1

MS is working on a fix

That's great, thanks for the heads-up :)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

Noticed a bug where it likes to stack items in my taskbar on top of each other rather than, you know, giving each its own spot.

Dirty upgrade? This tends to happen with those with preexisting shortcuts from your previous w10 installation. Remove the old one and it should fix it

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You can bypass the CPU and TPM requirement with a single addition to the registry, so if you want to try it out then it'll take more time to download the installer than it will to apply the fix:

https://www.theverge.com/22715331/how-to-install-windows-11-unsupported-cpu-intel-amd-registry-regedit

Thanks. I tried it but the installer won't let me through, but without telling why :)

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

Thanks. I tried it but the installer won't let me through, but without telling why :)

Registry method only works on fresh installs. Try deleting appraiserres.dll from the sources directory and disabling your internet connection before you run the installer.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fame Douglas posted:

Registry method only works on fresh installs. Try deleting appraiserres.dll from the sources directory and disabling your internet connection before you run the installer.
Posting from Win11! Deleting appraiserres.dll caused the setup to crash, but the trick was a) regedit hack and b) disconnecting internet before starting.

I'll give it a go but so far I'm not exactly impressed by the touch-centric changes. Swiping from the right now doesn't bring up the quick settings thing (which doesn't have rotation lock now?) and swiping from the left shows some useless widgets instead of the task switcher. Explorer seems to have been dumbed down too. The start menu doesn't have a dedicated place for settings and it's instead hidden among other apps. At least it seems like they finally cleaned up the settings a bit.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

They made it all into one mode now, so the OS reacts appropriately depending on input - touch keyboard when you tap a text field, larger touch targets when resizing Windows with pen/touch, etc - but otherwise it's one experience for every use case.

It's basically the reason we've got 11 in the first place, to take the big clunky desktop UI that never really worked great for touch and making it work for everything, including potential future use cases like AR and dual screen devices. You can really see the difference in low end devices or tablets, rotating the screen actually works smoothly instead of causing it to go into a blind panic for several seconds.

Hence why if you're on a traditional desktop there isn't a major need to upgrade yet.
BTW, Win10 would already give you touch keyboard or even pen recognition input automatically too, and would make context menus larger when you were fingering it etc. Seems like the bigger borders for resizing is the only positive improvement so far. Also I guess rotating the screen is a bit smoother, but I never found it to be an issue to begin with.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just tried loading Win 11 on a brand new 11th gen 11600k, 16GB RAM, all the security poo poo turned on in the BIOS. The installer said NOT COMPATIBLE. So then I upgraded the BIOS to the lastest version that said it was for Windows 11... same loving thing, Not compatible. So I loaded Win 10 and then did the 11 upgrade which worked.

What the gently caress?!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

redeyes posted:

I just tried loading Win 11 on a brand new 11th gen 11600k, 16GB RAM, all the security poo poo turned on in the BIOS. The installer said NOT COMPATIBLE. So then I upgraded the BIOS to the lastest version that said it was for Windows 11... same loving thing, Not compatible. So I loaded Win 10 and then did the 11 upgrade which worked.

What the gently caress?!

Microsoft

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'll be damned if Im going to go through a lot of BS to load Win 11 on new systems. Either MS fixes this crock of poo poo or the only people with 11 are going to be buying brand new OEM systems.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
What's their obsession with focusing on touch anyway? I thought that was a fad like netbooks or something. Everyone hated Windows 8, and then people started realizing that doing real work on an iPad sucks rear end and pc and laptop sales rose from the ashes again. And people using PCs realized you get gorilla arm using a touch screen and it sucks rear end 99% of the time. What's their obsession with touch screens? I can't even understand it from a financial perspective.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It's just the latest hype thing far as I can tell. Mouse/Keyboard is superior for anything that isn't a tiny mobile device.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I thought the hype peaked in like 2009 after the iPad came out and I thought it died by like 2014

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

What's their obsession with focusing on touch anyway? I thought that was a fad like netbooks or something. Everyone hated Windows 8, and then people started realizing that doing real work on an iPad sucks rear end and pc and laptop sales rose from the ashes again. And people using PCs realized you get gorilla arm using a touch screen and it sucks rear end 99% of the time. What's their obsession with touch screens? I can't even understand it from a financial perspective.

At least part of it seems like salvaging what they can from Windows 10X.

https://microsoft.fandom.com/wiki/Windows_10X

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There's an absolute shitload of people working in creative industries for whom touch input is a necessity, and having a touch device on the go is extremely useful, hence why iPads are currently the go-to portable device for illustrators and the like. Not to mention other uses like taking orders and payments in shops, drawing floorplans on the fly for estate agents, signing documents, easy handwritten note taking while walking around, I could sit here all day listing good uses for a tablet.

A desktop or laptop is better for standard office work, no doubt, there's a lot more "real work" out there that touch input is incredibly useful for. The iPad isn't succeeding because people want extremely expensive coffee table devices. Windows has been slow off the mark getting itself tablet ready, but the idea that there isn't a market for it in the business world is laughably short sighted, and Windows doesn't really have any more market share to take in the desktop world.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I'm honestly trying to think of a space where touch as a primary interaction for all compute is ideal. I totally buy that a Surface Studio-like device is the dream for someone in Illustrator or PS or whatever, but to bring those ideas to a computer OS-wide is a much harder sell. This is double true if you need to produce keyboard input at all, which is a disaster on touch.

I'm going to sound a little bit Steve Balmer-y here, but I'm pretty convinced that unless you have a use for a pen, touch is a toy and completely inferior in speed and resolution of control across the vast majority of use cases.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
They should have the stupid start menu and weird spacing for when the computer is in tablet mode instead of making everyone suffer.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm honestly trying to think of a space where touch as a primary interaction for all compute is ideal. I totally buy that a Surface Studio-like device is the dream for someone in Illustrator or PS or whatever, but to bring those ideas to a computer OS-wide is a much harder sell. This is double true if you need to produce keyboard input at all, which is a disaster on touch.

I'm going to sound a little bit Steve Balmer-y here, but I'm pretty convinced that unless you have a use for a pen, touch is a toy and completely inferior in speed and resolution of control across the vast majority of use cases.

The niche of laptops with touchscreens is a thing, but yeah, it's not the biggest segment there is. My Mom got used to using both the touchscreen on her surface and a keyboard and mouse, and I do similar stuff on my Chromebook, but it's a relatively narrow use-case.

My Boomer mother is fine with Windows 10 in this situation, and I'm pretty sure Windows 11 would just confuse her more.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

it's better for tablets though

I’m very sorry if my shitposting actually convinced anyone to install windows 11, my sincere apologies

Also I picked up an M1 iPad Pro as a laptop replacement recently for university and it’s great, but most of my work is reading and marking up PDFs so it fits that form factor really well. If I had any coding needs it wouldn’t have worked for sure

e: buying Apple’s laptop keyboard + trackpad folio was a non-negotiable addition though

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Posting on my surface in bed. Touch is great. Also I use it to doodle or read rpg pdfs.

Then attach the keyboard to play rimworld

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Well whatever update they pushed today or yesterday fixed the Snipping Tool issue I was having

The full-screen snip sound is really unnerving

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Touch is the best we got when raw convenience is the element you are solving for, or when doesn't allow for better input devices, but if you work on that 8 hours a day...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

I’m very sorry if my shitposting actually convinced anyone to install windows 11, my sincere apologies

Also I picked up an M1 iPad Pro as a laptop replacement recently for university and it’s great, but most of my work is reading and marking up PDFs so it fits that form factor really well. If I had any coding needs it wouldn’t have worked for sure

e: buying Apple’s laptop keyboard + trackpad folio was a non-negotiable addition though
:argh:

Should've just bought a Yoga :colbert:

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Well tablets are still selling a ton so there's some use for them.
  • Angry birds or youtube/netflix
  • Niche apps like the garmin navigation my friend uses in the plane, or car techs entering issues
  • ???
After the ipad came out, there was a ton of hype and everyone pretended like all business apps are going to be on the tablets only and all the sales drones had to have one. I haven't seen a tablet in the wild in years, even before covid.

I'm posting from a cube mix plus, which is a slate that docks into a solid keyboard base:

Basically 90% of the time I used it docked as a little netbook. 10% of the time I'd use the pen to make notes or draw something on a whiteboard. Occasionally I'd touch the screen to scroll or zoom etc. Veeery rarely I'd undock it completely and use like a tablet. It actually worked fine as a tablet for browsing or reading stuff but even then usually having it docked was just more convenient.

Eventually the keyboard poo poo itself so I've been using it as a regular slate. And the main reason that sucks has nothing to do with the specific device itself or windows, but the form factor in general. Browsing is fine until you need to type something, then it's a pain in the rear end. Watching videos sucks because you have to hold it awkwardly, instead of just having it sit on the keyboard. Hence why I think the Yoga form factor is the best.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Has W11 removed/obfuscated more of the useful control panels or do they still survive?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Arivia posted:

I have a very “old” iPad that I keep in my laptop bag in case I need a really good screen (1st Retina display; I don’t even know what model it is or how to find out without :effort:) as a second monitor. Some files take forever to load, but reading Batman and Wolverine back issues and free books on Kindle app/iBooks can’t be beat. I don’t like being on WiFi tethering, though, because I’m perma stuck on iOS 10.3.

Constantine graphic novels ate my 16Gb of storage like nobody’s business, though. Worth it, of course! Who needs an iTunes app when it’s already better on my phone anyway? 😜

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I've made up my mind, besides the right click menu being changed to have to maneuver to a second menu to use 7zip, I actually like windows 11 so far :blush:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah actually, i upgraded to 11 again three or four days ago and immediately installed StartAllBack and i can't say i have any complaints now...besides needing a third party app to fix all of the stupid default stuff i guess

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is it worse or about the same with making you sign in with a MS account and having to disable all the weird privacy things? Thinking of jumping to 11 but I can only image they have more things that you’re default opted into.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I installed it and never had to use an online account. That only applies to Pro though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I upgraded the Home version on the tablet and it never asked me to make an online account, activate Cortana or any of that nonsense