Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Maybe your homework is rendering or some other resource heavy digital art thing. In which case you probably would need a 1700 laptop.

Edit : oh they're high school kid, I skim read and assumed they were in higher education.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
They want $159 to redo the homework? Like you did a whole day of work and made no backup?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kid already knows how to value their labor hell yeah that's good praxis 😎

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

wait so is taco Tuesday bad or not

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Taco is good, Tuesday is bad

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

Taco is good, Tuesday is bad

The modern day Zardoz.

Uncle ShortyB
Oct 18, 2013

"Do you think since your cat is dead I could

You know

Wear it?"

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for sending my neighbor venmo requests every day until he pays for the laptop his kid broke?

I love that this kid has the sense to just tell his neighbor "Anything didn't happen, your kid happened." This fuckin rules. gently caress this kid's parents the shithead neighbor should pay for it cause why was his god drat kid in someone else's yard, apparently exclusively to break poo poo and run away? gently caress that guy.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ok so long as tacos are still allowed

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

hawowanlawow posted:

ok so long as tacos are still allowed

They're mandatory now

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I'm on laptop kid's side, but I do think it's funny the he thinks just being stubborn and resending the venmo request will get him anywhere. He's escalated byyyyy....posting it on Facebook and asking people what to do. Go to small claims court, kid. No one is going to give you the money just because they should and it's the right thing to do, unfortunately. You either have to invest more time and effort to get it back, or let it go. That said, sounds like he has really solid proof, so he should be fine if he takes that step.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 4, 2021

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
I also liked this line.

quote:

they will replace it for me. They would use some of my college fund money.

Gee, thanks, mom and dad.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I read the Facebook post as the kid publicly shaming the neighbor while going "oh I'm not vindictively shaming I'm just a dumb teenager asking for advice".

Also they're a high school student so unless they're an 18 year old senior they can't go to small claims court. They'd have to have their parents do so on their behalf which they aren't interested in doing.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Put the date you’re planning to file in small claims in the venmo request, and make sure it’s clear you’ll be adding the filing fee to the court paperwork

Uncle ShortyB
Oct 18, 2013

"Do you think since your cat is dead I could

You know

Wear it?"
AITA for yelling at my mom about replacing me with her new kid?

quote:

I know it sounds bad but hear me out.

So I (27M) and my mom (45F) have never had a good relationship. My dad (52M) worked a lot of hours so it was always just me and my mom. All she did was nag me constantly. It was always about that poo poo. She never listened to what I wanted. For example she'd pack these really elaborate lunchboxes and when she found out I was giving it to my friend, she got really upset even though I told her before that I wanted normal foods. To make it worse, she guilt-tripped me by packing my friend his own lunch and dropped it off every morning when she drive me to school. IT was a passive aggressive stunt.

Long story short, my dad and his coworker clicked things happened and my mom freaked out and they divorced. I was 16 and wanted to live with my dad and my stepmom who was way more chill. She let me live and didn't nag me about homework and stuff. My mom tried to get custody but the judge let me decide. My dad and stepmom didn't make me contact her.

A few years later, I changed my number for insurance stuff, moved out of state, and we lost contact. She was literally already married and had a kid but she didn't tell me. It wasn't 11 years of no contact like people said, just a couple of years out of touch. So she basically lied to me

Recently my grandparents had their anniversary and they somehow invited my mom even though she's the ex. I didn't think she would show up.

She came in with her husband, and a 5 year old kid, my "half-brother" My mom had married someone without telling me and had a kid. I was so upset that she hadn't even told me. I yelled at her. I was really hurt that she replaced me with the "perfect, well behaved kid". She was going to pretend I didn't exist so her perfect life could continue. She threw a tantrum and left with her new family.

My grandparents asked me to leave but my dad and my stepmom had my back. They said it was ridiculous that she hadn't told any of us that she got remarried and had a kid. My grandparents said that they knew and were invited to her wedding. Now my dad is mad at his parents, I'm mad at my mom, and my life has turned to poo poo. So Reddit AITA?

Edit I DON'T CARE THAT SHE REMARRIED AND HAD A KID. I CARE THAT SHE HID IT FROM EVERYONE. Jesus she was a helicopter parent and didn't let me breathe my entire life and guiltripped on how she loved me so much when she didn't even care to look at me ONCE during the anniversary party. It's not like she used to tell me I was the light of her life or poo poo. It's not like I'm her son. Now I'm nothing to her because she has a new FAAAMILY and a new SONN that she can mother hen the poo poo out of and then abandon when he's a real person instead of her perfect dress up doll

Fuckin love the fact that this 27 year old is upset his mother moved on with her life despite also hating that she was... being his parent and wanted him to do school stuff as a teenager.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Soylent Pudding posted:

They'd have to have their parents do so on their behalf which they aren't interested in doing.

It doesn't have to be a parent. They can have another adult relative do it as well.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Yadoppsi posted:

GM's and even IM's can make surprisingly good money streaming their Lichess games on Twitch. He'd need a gimmick to stand out though. Being hot is easiest but I sometimes watch an average (for an IM) who built his large following by being all in on a dubious/meme gambit. Stafford in his case. If your guy hates chess now that probably wouldn't appeal but it might be worth mentioning next time you chat.

THE BONGCLOUD

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I can't watch that Eric Rosen guy play chess because his nostrils move too much when he breathes and it irritates me

Also I can't watch anything Jacques Pepin has made in the last fifteen years because of his slurping drool sounds

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Uncle ShortyB posted:

Fuckin love the fact that this 27 year old is upset his mother moved on with her life despite also hating that she was... being his parent and wanted him to do school stuff as a teenager.

Lol this guy's still hung up on having to do homework as a kid

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
The rare story where the parent should go no contact with the kid.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Uncle ShortyB posted:

Also love the "my mom freaked out when my dad started boning people at work"

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Uncle ShortyB posted:

She was also 18 when she got knocked up by a 25 year old, if we're being generous with the timing.

E: Not ragging on her, mind you. Just pointing out the gross age gap.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA I briefly moved back home to help my mom after my dad passed away, even though My wife wasn’t on fully on board with it.

quote:

My dad passed away. And since my brothers and I have all moved out. She needed someone to come back and give her some help with things on the farm. My youngest brother is in his last year of university. And once he finishes he’s gonna come back and stay with her. But until then - I opted to come back.

I had to leave my wife, since my wife wasn’t willing to come. Since her and my mother don’t get along. And I wasn’t willing to stay.

As for work - Im an electrician, and I asked if I could maybe take leave for 8 or so months. But they said no. So I quit. My wife was mad about that. But, we would have enough savings to last. I found a job at a gas station here though, And send my checks home to my wife to help cover expenses. Since she doesn’t work. But now baby sits the 2yo(?) triplets that live up the street. So it’s not necessary.

I know that I’ll probably be killed for not doing exactly what my wife wanted. But my mom asked me to help her. And after my dad passed away I obviously couldn’t just say no. It’s only until my brother graduates and comes home. There’s day to day physical labor that a huge majority of women (which my mother is) just aren’t built to handle. So this was my only option.

Edit to add:

We are not, “burning through our savings”. But if we had to we could. I ended up getting a job here and send my checks home. And the new couple up the street needed a babysitter. So my wife gets paid to baby sit their triplets.

We have a 7 year old daughter

People in the comment section (just 1 persistent person) seem to think I’m belittling my wife contributions by just saying she doesn’t work. I AM NOT CLAIMING SHE JUST SITS AROUND.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

In North Carolina, developers are required by law to set up HOAs if the development has >20 lots. :capitalism:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA I briefly moved back home to help my mom after my dad passed away, even though My wife wasn’t on fully on board with it.

boring

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Uncle ShortyB posted:

The rare estranged parent where it actually is the child that's the narcissistic rear end in a top hat. Good on the in-laws for realizing there son is a poo poo and properly treating his ex like a human being, at least.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I have a narcissistic question. I made a comment that got gilded. I want to see what the little tiny icons mean. They don't have a hover. When I googled to find a list of icons, all I got was a very incomplete wiki. Is there a UI feature that lets you find out what icons (including those specific to a subreddit) mean?

For all I know, I got "wow, you are a waste of time, go back to SA".

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Absolutely. I always know a DnD game is instantly terrible and to be avoided if there is a DM character.

The DM already has thousands of characters - the cast of the entire universe of the game all belongs to the DM. If the person who is already doing 60% of the talking in a group of 5 or 6 needs even more 'screen-time' then they are surely a blowhard.

It is also really awkward watching them having 'their' player interact with an NPC because it is just someone talking to themselves while everyone else just sits there.
The only time a GM character should be allowed is if its a Multi-GM where everyone is taking turns running the game, and generally that character should be off screen/not actively in the game until someone elses turn to run it

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I've always loved the parent rationale of "My kid is too young to be blamed for something, so therefore it's nobody's fault and you should pay for it because...it takes a village?"

EDIT: A few years ago my spouse and I were involved in an RP game that the GM had created himself via some engine. Over the course of a few sessions we slowly realized he was using the game to write a novel, complete with all of the characters we had come up with.

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

Lol drat. That little poo poo deserved to be replaced.

That poor woman. Cheated on but her son liked the mistress more because she didn't burden him with chores or homework.
Nevermind that at 27 he still thinks that despite his contempt for her, and estrangement, he should remain the absolute centre of her life.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

kazr posted:

Ignoring Ada ramping requirements seems like a pretty big deal whether or not rager "contractor" is joe bumpkin or not

Most houses with stairs to the entrance are not ada complaint as built, especially older ones. You still need to get the correct permits from the city, hoa and whoever else before you start building a ramp or you run the risk of doing it all over again.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

TK8325 posted:

I don't get HOAs. What can they even do? Evict you from your own home? Like, just ignore them.

They can fine you, and if you don’t pay the fine, they can foreclose on your house and force you to sell it. Read the terms, and if you don’t want to sign up for it, don’t buy a house with an HOA. If you have one, it is because you opted in to it. It’s really that simple.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Lone Badger posted:

there is no way for a property to leave a HOA.

If you can get a majority of the HOA board you can do whatever you want. I'm pretty sure there's been at least one story like this posted where someone allied with a bunch of neighbors to take over a rotten HOA and have it vote to dissolve itself.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DreadUnknown posted:

I feel in my bones that a manacured lawn is a sure sign of a deeply troubled mind.
In every dream home a heartache.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Yeah, the HOA can dissolve the HOA if it wants. It’s usually a pretty low bar, like 60-65%, more than a majority but literally everyone.

It still almost never happens unless there is someone wanting to buy the whole neighborhood or complex to redevelop it, and they raise the price high enough that 65% of the owners decide to vote to sell.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Wow, wait til her daughter finds out about the internet.

I am a teacher, and I talk to kids without their parents around, and I know for a fact that most of them have seen some absolutely depraved poo poo. Squid Game is pretty popular among elementary school kids, for example.

Their stupider parents might be good at fooling themselves into thinking they can censor this stuff at home for their own peace of mind. That's because they are stupid. The only real way to prevent your kid from seeing anything objectionable is working hard on making sure they are a loser with no friends. Many of them put a lot of effort into making their child an isolated depressive. To them, it is far better for their child to be a friendless shut-in than a kid who accidentally saw a titty.

They all seem to forget what it was like when the teacher let kids use dictionaries in grade school. About half of them immediately gravitate towards looking up dirty words. They do this on the internet too, despite what they'd like to believe about their little innocent angels.

Do you see any success with parents blocking social media? My religion is wanting Mark Zuckerberg to be violently killed but I don't want my kids (0 & 3) to be alienated from their peers. I know I can't block anything because the 3 year old can already remember unlock codes for different devices to sate his youtube addiction, I just want them to grow up being too cool to have or need Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or Snapchat.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Uncle ShortyB posted:

Astounding that he manages to make homemade lunches and being mad about being cheated on into a bad thing.

I'm sure the mom isn't perfect, none of them are, but if these are the examples he has to point out her bad parenting, she's probably a great mom and they walked away from her. Hope she's found a better family to love this time around, I cannot imagine losing your husband to infidelity and then having your 16 year old choose him over you because you're "naggy". What the gently caress.

Some selected bangers from the OP in the comments:

quote:

You don't understand how annoying it is to be told the same stuff day in and day out every single day. Like we could not have a conversation without her asking why I hadn't changed my clothes for a couple of days when it was a vacation and no one saw me. I didn't smell or anything. She just couldn't stand when things weren't perfect. I once saw her have a loving meltdown because the cake she was baking wasn't perfect

I didn't go "no contact" She could have contacted me if she cared.

What you don't get is that I DIDN'T WANT those lunches. I told her I didn't want these big fancy lunches when everyone else had a peanut butter and marshmallow sandwich and she disregarded my wishes. Every single day it was more ridiculous foods. It was like she was making a game of what stupid thing she could make me eat. THat's the type of person she was.

I LIKED living with my dad and stepmom. They treated me like an adult.

The very least my mom could have done was give me a heads up that she was getting married or having another kid. I didn't even know she was dating.

I have a HALFBROTHER that she didn't even bother to tell anyone about

It wasn't about the pretzels and mozarella sticks. It was about her CONSTANT NAGGING about everything. It was helicopter parenting to the max. There was not a single conversation we could have without her asking if I changed my clothes or if I ate this snack or that snack or if I did well on a test. Not one conversation.

That makes it sound like we're strangers. oH ShE dOesN'T oWe YOu anYThIng. I'm her son. We didn't gab on the phone but we still knew each other's lives. She actively kept it a secret that she married and had a kid.

She just kept saying the same things over and over like a broken record player. We couldn't have one conversation where she didn't start it off with her telling me to get some rest or eat food or stop playing video games.

My friend wasn't poor or anything. He just didn't like the school lunch. I knew she did just to embarass me. She was passive aggressive about it saying poo poo like how she was glad someone appreciated her food implying that I didn't.

It wasn't like I wasn't eating healthily at home. What was wrong with eating ONE unhealhty thing for lunch if every other meal was healthy garbage?

I was 16. It's not like I was a child who needed constant supervision and nagging. My stepmom understood that

I'm 27. Nobody tells me to wash my socks or eat healthy meals. I do that poo poo because I decide to.

It wasn't really cheating. From what my dad told me they were barely even in a relationship at that point.

Something about lame, lazy, ineffectual, stupid, selfish manchildren really just sets me off. I just have this visceral reaction of disgust and revulsion I don't have with other groups of people. :shrug:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

kntfkr posted:

Do you see any success with parents blocking social media? My religion is wanting Mark Zuckerberg to be violently killed but I don't want my kids (0 & 3) to be alienated from their peers. I know I can't block anything because the 3 year old can already remember unlock codes for different devices to sate his youtube addiction, I just want them to grow up being too cool to have or need Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or Snapchat.

Strict parents raise sneaky kids. It’s better for you to be open and honest as to what social media does, and teach them responsibility, not withhold it.

By the time your kids are within the age of inquiry about social media, it’ll be a different ballgame, one way or another. Just teach them appropriate boundaries and how sometimes social media can be good (ie - saying happy birthday to grandma, a funny picture) and how social media can be bad (misinformation, bullying)

Treat your kids like cognizant beings.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

kntfkr posted:

You could always do what my parents did, when I was a kid during the Pokémon craze (when it was really big, early on).
They told me, "You don't like Pokémon", and I believed it.

I'm now an accredited Pokémon TCG Judge :v:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

quote:

My dad passed away. And since my brothers and I have all moved out. She needed someone to come back and give her some help with things on the farm. My youngest brother is in his last year of university. And once he finishes he’s gonna come back and stay with her. But until then - I opted to come back.

I had to leave my wife, since my wife wasn’t willing to come. Since her and my mother don’t get along. And I wasn’t willing to stay.

As for work - Im an electrician, and I asked if I could maybe take leave for 8 or so months. But they said no. So I quit. My wife was mad about that. But, we would have enough savings to last. I found a job at a gas station here though, And send my checks home to my wife to help cover expenses. Since she doesn’t work. But now baby sits the 2yo(?) triplets that live up the street. So it’s not necessary.

I know that I’ll probably be killed for not doing exactly what my wife wanted. But my mom asked me to help her. And after my dad passed away I obviously couldn’t just say no. It’s only until my brother graduates and comes home. There’s day to day physical labor that a huge majority of women (which my mother is) just aren’t built to handle. So this was my only option.

Edit to add:

We are not, “burning through our savings”. But if we had to we could. I ended up getting a job here and send my checks home. And the new couple up the street needed a babysitter. So my wife gets paid to baby sit their triplets.

We have a 7 year old daughter

People in the comment section (just 1 persistent person) seem to think I’m belittling my wife contributions by just saying she doesn’t work. I AM NOT CLAIMING SHE JUST SITS AROUND.
In comments:

quote:

My mom doesn’t want, “strangers in her house”. She wanted one of us kids to come back. I make approximately a quarter of what I was previously making. Maybe less now that I think about it.
(different comment)
My youngest brother is gonna come back. It’s not like he has much of a choice. All the other brothers have families to take care of. And 1 of us has to be here. My mom asked for it.

kntfkr posted:

, I just want them to grow up being too cool to have or need Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or Snapchat.

Good news! By the time they can read, all of those will be uncool anyway. Of course, something new will have taken their place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I was fine with this until it turned out how long 'briefly' was.