Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
More RPGs need to copy Suikoden's leveling system. Especially the ability to break it over your knee and over level characters in the right circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

sometimes i just want to zone out and grind a little

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
isn't there a mod for skies of arcadia that disables random battles on the world map?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I want an RPG that finally rewards the right type of gamer, where you get no EXP at all for killing monsters and can only level up by never skipping dialogue and watching every cutscene.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
skies of arcadia legends has a significantly lowered encounter rate compared to the dreamcast version as long as you just hold forward in one direction when you're moving around and aren't like, wiggling the stick all over the place for some reason

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

exquisite tea posted:

I want an RPG that finally rewards the right type of gamer, where you get no EXP at all for killing monsters and can only level up by never skipping dialogue and watching every cutscene.

I think those exist in western RPG circles. Fairly sure at least 1-2 Obsidian games phased out combat XP.
EDIT: Pillars of Eternity rewarded you for filling out the bestiary, but not kills, so I think after a certain number that monster stops yielding XP.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

iirc ffx-2 doesnt let you get the secret ending if you skip any cutscenes

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Zokari posted:

iirc ffx-2 doesnt let you get the secret ending if you skip any cutscenes

One of the many reasons why it's the best JRPG ever made.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

didn't ff13 make a lot of people mad by, among other things obvs, making grinding impossible past a point with per chapter skill tree caps?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i recommend everyone who plays skies of arcadia acquire the white map accessory asap and glue it to vyse outside of boss battles

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

isn't there a mod for skies of arcadia that disables random battles on the world map?

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5314/

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Motto posted:

didn't ff13 make a lot of people mad by, among other things obvs, making grinding impossible past a point with per chapter skill tree caps?

Yeah but I'm sure it was pretty low down on the list of FF13 things people were mad at though

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Amppelix posted:

speaking of: most rpgs that people think "need" grinding actually don't and lots of people are just somehow deeply conditioned into expecting a grind in every RPG they play so they just grind pointlessly without even trying not to

And really what's the difference between Persona grinding and Dark Souls or Bloodborne? I remember there being a ton of people getting stonewalled by Father Gascoigne but that never gets called grinding like having to go back and get the money to buy blood vials is.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

And really what's the difference between Persona grinding and Dark Souls or Bloodborne? I remember there being a ton of people getting stonewalled by Father Gascoigne but that never gets called grinding like having to go back and get the money to buy blood vials is.

Getting the required mastery under your belt to beat Gascoigne (or any Souls boss, really) is rewarding because it's a gradual process of learning that builds on itself until you're finally able to overcome them. Grinding out totally unrelated monsters to push your stats to an arbitrarily high enough level to be able to power through an encounter isn't equivalent.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Astria Ascending, the continuing:

Sometimes I love the balls this game has.

I've no encountered two boss-gimmicks I would love to see in more games, just to see the reactions of players just walking into them unprepared.

-Gimmick 1: Self-cloning boss.

Exactly what it says. A boss which clones and revives itself over and over again. To actually win, you need to carefully wait until the boss has filled the battlefield with three clones, then cautiously lower all three bosses' HP at the same time, so you can wipe out all three with a group attack at the end.

If you don't do this, you just get caught in a loop of ever-reviving clone bosses. :allears:

-Gimmick 2: Some random midboss suddenly getting 4+ different forms, complete with different weaknesses, graphics, skills and of course more HP each time.

So you walk into this guy, and as the fight goes on you notice the boss is rather easy. But eh, there are other easy bosses. And then you fight a second form. But eh, other bosses already had two forms. And then you fight a third form and get slightly concerned. Then you fight a fourth form and the first sweat drops show up on your forehead

There was also a boss-form of those annoying physical-immune enemies. But ironically, he was easy as poo poo.

I really did not expect this game to be so much fun. Also, four of my eight characters have now upgraded to their main classes. It looks like Centaur Gal and Fish Boy will be the poor bastards waiting till the very end, because Eko is already a good healer on his own and I really want Kaydin to become an Alchemist. (Kress doesn't get an upgrade because after turning Ulan into Axe Cop I now have more strong physical attackers than I need.)

Libluini fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 3, 2021

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RareAcumen posted:

I beat him first try

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I beat him first try

I always knew you were a real gamer.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Vermain posted:

Getting the required mastery under your belt to beat Gascoigne (or any Souls boss, really) is rewarding because it's a gradual process of learning that builds on itself until you're finally able to overcome them. Grinding out totally unrelated monsters to push your stats to an arbitrarily high enough level to be able to power through an encounter isn't equivalent.

This is probably dumb but I think I prefer the time investment of grinding to having to learn and grow a skill by repeatedly losing a fight until I'm good enough.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rascyc posted:

Yeah, I really liked Langrisser. All of the solo PvE stuff felt reasonably well done, but the whole meta grind aspect of it coupled with 30 to 60 minute long fights on a rotating schedule really was a bridge too far for my time. I keep thinking of picking it back up but haven't looked into it since they added those leaderboard bosses.

Langrisser was shockingly meaty gameplay-wise for a gacha srpg and I played it for quite a while, but most of the things that killed it for me were all of the mandatory gacha trappings - no real way to advance your power without constantly performing repetitive, time-consuming chores every single day, permanently missable characters on limited gacha banners, and new characters generally being balanced in a way that they were nearly worthless without rank ups, which either took literal months of time or pulling duplicates of said character(which, of course, usually meant swiping that credit card). Character balance in general was honestly a mess, with early on the difference between an account that had Leon and an account that did not have Leon being so vast in terms of being able to do stuff that they were almost playing different games.

I expect most of these things to be equally true of Shining Force mobile.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Libluini posted:

-Gimmick 1: Self-cloning boss.

Exactly what it says. A boss which clones and revives itself over and over again. To actually win, you need to carefully wait until the boss has filled the battlefield with three clones, then cautiously lower all three bosses' HP at the same time, so you can wipe out all three with a group attack at the end.

If you don't do this, you just get caught in a loop of ever-reviving clone bosses. :allears:

That can so easily be complete poo poo if you don't have precise control of damage, for example if you crit on an attack so one of them get killed ahead of time. Or like in Persona 3 where you don't even have party control and they can just gently caress you over.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

The Shadowrun trilogy is similar, you only get karma for the quests not for killing enemies.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

pentyne posted:

The Shadowrun trilogy is similar, you only get karma for the quests not for killing enemies.

Those games were nice, I remember some glorious RP moments in Hong Kong. Didn't like that one mandatory matrix bit, but other than that it was a fantastic experience.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

exquisite tea posted:

That's Queen's Wish (Spiderweb Software) in a nutshell. Get XP from clearing dungeons and completing quests. It's a lovely incentive to bypass enemies if need be.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Evil Fluffy posted:

More RPGs need to copy Suikoden's leveling system. Especially the ability to break it over your knee and over level characters in the right circumstances.

I'll push my way through the Matilda gate every single time and no one's gonna stop me

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Zore posted:

Yeah outside of like Dragon Quest 1 and 2 I can't really think of any games that really have mandatory grinding to be able to complete the game.

A lot of games people spent a ton of time grinding out back in the day absolutely did not require it, it just let you faceroll things instead of engaging with mechanics.

ah i see. DQ1 definitely scarred me for life. and the time my PS1 decided to forget my Disc 4 FFVII save

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

At that point I'd be asking myself where the fourth disc came from. You don't want to get eaten by CD mimics.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the NES FFs are also a little bit grindy. not to the level of DQ1 & 2 for the most part, but you're either going to need to go through every dungeon twice (grab items, cast exit, heal up, go back in and beeline to the boss) or grind enough to get best in slot equipment onto your dudes at each town in ff1, and in ff2 if you want to change weapon types or use a new spell effectively or whatever you pretty much need to grind. ff3 isn't very grindy at all unless you give in to ff5 syndrome and grind out several jobs for each character instead of specializing them

the remasters basically got rid of the grind tho

phantasy star 1 & 2 are grindy at the very start. you have to pay a time tax of an hour or so to get your main character strong enough to run around without a full party. ps2 also has some points where you're probably gonna be behind the level curve if you used maps for the dungeons instead of just wandering around those hell-mazes blind.

basically the really early games in the genre absolutely do have grinding here and there, but people kept the attitude that jrpgs always have grinds for many years after it wasn't true anymore

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Elephant Parade posted:

In most games, grinding becomes necessary if you take pains to flee or avoid most battles and fall behind the intended level curve. That kind of "makeup grind" is both self-inflicted and intuitive, but it can catch people new to the genre -- I recall it happening to me in FFIV, one of the first RPGs I played.

I often do that on purpose just to make the game harder. Like, not the make-up grind part, but the skipping battles part.

Also because I hate random battles.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

beer gas canister posted:

I'm so far removed from JPRGs that I don't have a preference for any of those categories, honestly. My favorite of all time is probably Pokémon Silver, followed by DQ11. Beyond those I don't think I've ever bothered to play a JRPG to completion - I haven't even thought about it in maybe 13 years. I'm open to anything interesting, that won't require grinding or pixel hunting.

So below are some PC+Switch options without true random battles and some brief overviews. Others have more to chip in

Tales of Beseria (tales of Arise is newer and has more qol, buuuut the story and cast are significantly weaker) - A fun action combat RPG with an interesting narrative ~40 hours long and a pretty "classic" RPG design.

Persona 4 Golden - A truly long game (talking 100 hours here) that involves both monster collection and a massive life simulator aspect to the game. Be aware its pace is very slow due to the life simulator, you gotta love that addition. Be warned, since your party isn't fixed the answer to bosses may be "get some new monsters" so grinding(?)

Trails in the Sky - A shitload of dialog and worldbuilding. Like so much. Combat is relatively leisurely and easy so if the idea of talking with a hundred NPCs and learning the ins and outs of the world don't appeal you've less to fall back on which is countered by

Undernauts - This is a Dungeon RPG so its all about combat with some very light story and basically no NPC ot towns or anything of that sort. There are fixed battles with some rarer random battles thrown in to keep the pressure on you during your excursions into the dungeon. If this sounds appealing but you want more towns and a cheaper budget Phantasy Star 1 remaster is on switch but it has random battles and some light grinding (mostly at the start but they added 2x gold and xp so its pretty breezy)

Cosmic Star Heroine - A fun short (like 8 hours) goofy sci-fi rpg with fixed battles and turn limits on moves. Made by like 2 people its pretty limited in scope but does a good job capturing the SNES era feeling of RPGs with a variety of modernizations.

Yakuza 7 (Like a Dragon)- This is on game pass so the cost is like 5 bucks. It is a modernized Dragon Quest directly inspired (they talk about dq in game with permission from SE) spinoff of the Yakuza series with a Japan criminal underbelly element. It alternates tv show caliber melodrama in the main story with goofy as hell and funny sidequests. Absolute must play, best game on this list in my opinion and the smoothest transition from DQ you'll find.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 4, 2021

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Clarste posted:

I often do that on purpose just to make the game harder. Like, not the make-up grind part, but the skipping battles part.

Also because I hate random battles.

i did this with DQ11 as well because i was stomping everything early on and it worked like a charm

Barudak posted:

So below are some PC+Switch options without true random battles and some brief overviews. Others have more to chip in

this is awesome, thanks

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Reached the credits in Undernauts after 43 hours and 43 minutes of play time, which probably could have been a few hours shorter if I'd spent less time messing around trying to fully map out every area and find all the noodles. Most of my party was around level 28, so don't count on having the level 30 skills for the end boss unless you grind a bit, or prioritize feeding XP boost items to the characters you really want to hit level 30 on.

There is, of course, a postgame, and it's a significant difficulty spike: expect random encounters to start inflicting about as much damage on you per turn as the final boss did. Fortunately my party's damage output can still keep up with their HP well enough to clear them in a turn or two, but ambushes are rough. I'll see how far I can get just boosting CON and using defensive buffs without a tank; it's still manageable for now, if a bit stressful.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Rascyc posted:

Yeah, I really liked Langrisser. All of the solo PvE stuff felt reasonably well done, but the whole meta grind aspect of it coupled with 30 to 60 minute long fights on a rotating schedule really was a bridge too far for my time. I keep thinking of picking it back up but haven't looked into it since they added those leaderboard bosses.

Same here. There was some real effort made there, it was like a theoretical Langrisser 6 mixed with a mobile game. I'd have been down for a new mainline Langrisser built like it honestly but given how the 1+2 remake went down, I doubt it's happening.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
She looks a lot like One, I know the game has nothing to do with Yoko Taro's other games but I can see why some people thought so if only cause of the same artist on his projects.

Amppelix posted:

for a recent game that absolutely, positively, no-questions-asked actually needs grinding in the intended playthrough, see Yakuza 7. maybe that's just part of the dragon quest reference.
God, the stupid "Here is a grinding tower, go use it 2 or 3 times" right before the doubly whammy of Majima and Saejima was just insane.
Like A Dragon is an excellent game but at times a really bad RPG. Does this make sense to say?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think it’s the Drakengard 3 artist, I thought I recognized the name when I peeked at credits cause I thought I recognized the narrator even though it didn’t sound much like his usual anime characters.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

HGH posted:

Like A Dragon is an excellent game but at times a really bad RPG. Does this make sense to say?
I liked everything in Yakuza 7 except for the RPG parts so yeah that's pretty accurate.

I'm looking forward to the next one because I feel like if they tightened up the combat and jobs it'd be amazing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

this has gotten mixed reviews but i really love the art and also i must support rpg player character lad's wearing chokers

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Golden Goat posted:

I liked everything in Yakuza 7 except for the RPG parts so yeah that's pretty accurate.

I'm looking forward to the next one because I feel like if they tightened up the combat and jobs it'd be amazing.

idk if they're shifting it to judgment but i didn't get why Yakuza wasn't just fine as an ARPG. i want to beat people up!!!!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

HGH posted:

She looks a lot like One, I know the game has nothing to do with Yoko Taro's other games but I can see why some people thought so if only cause of the same artist on his projects.

God, the stupid "Here is a grinding tower, go use it 2 or 3 times" right before the doubly whammy of Majima and Saejima was just insane.

No it's a good observation. Yakuza 7 definitely feels like its the teams first turn based RPG even just looking at how the classes or damage types are balanced

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh laffo I'm a dolt and forgot the mandatory but we're not gonna say its mandatory battle arena in Yakuza 7.

gently caress, sorry my dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Is anyone looking forward to Blue Reflection: Second Light next week? Not my usual kind of JRPG but I really loved the soundtrack to the first game. Sadly I never ended up buying it due to kinda middling reviews + never going on sale, but if the sequel can pick things up a little then I might end up checking it out.