Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

An ex-friend of mine always used to say that he found it really weird that every time someone talks or writes about Dave Grohl his name is always appended with "he's such a nice guy!" "nicest guy in rock!" etc., etc., and that the sheer consistency of it is really sus, he took that as reason enough to prophylactically despise him, and his band

So I dunno, maybe gently caress the foo fighters

their music sucks poo poo now, that's for definite

FWIW the post that got the woman whose name escapes me now suspended was "I loving love the Foo Fighters", posted in a Labour FB group IIRC, and the "offence" was using naughty words in an official Labour forum while an office holder.

Having said that, this post should get you banned from the forums and also from ever voicing an opinion ever again. Dave Grohl is cool, the Foo Fighers are cool (apart from that HIV denialist guitarist they got rid of), and I will choke you with one of my massive collection of checked shirts if you say otherwise.

(TBH I only really like the first album, flaws and all, but there's some crackers on the later stuff and I sort of admire his casual slide into dad-rock - much better that than going down the jukebox musical route that even loving Green Day have slid into)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Colour and the Shape is the best one and it's not even close

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How many copies of the autobiography did you buy.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

keep punching joe posted:

Probably misremembering but was dave grohl not accused of trying to nonce Kurt cobains kid?

No, I don't think so?

I liked when Dave Grohl did Probot which was just him playing music with his childhood heroes: Lemmy, Lee Dorrian, Cronos, Wino, Tom G Warrior, King Diamond etc. It's deffo better than Foo Fighters.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
might be misremembering but 'horrific accusation about one of the worst crimes a person could commit' but idk might be the wrong person???

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Barry Foster posted:

Colour and the Shape is the best one and it's not even close

This album remains an all-timer.

And while I'm sure anyone could be a nonce I don't really see the need to like...assume it of a bloke even if he is frequently accused of being suspiciously genial.

Wouldn't be surprised if Courtney had thrown around some pedo allegations at some point tho

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Probot sounds like a roomba that tries to fiddle kids.

Nobody mention this idea to Elon Musk. This is important.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Failed Imagineer posted:

This album remains an all-timer.

And while I'm sure anyone could be a nonce I don't really see the need to like...assume it of a bloke even if he is frequently accused of being suspiciously genial.

In hindsight my ex-friend Rob was a pretty angry, bitter and suspicious dude in general, yes

It was fun until I was on the receiving end of it lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Barry Foster posted:

In hindsight my ex-friend Rob was a pretty angry, bitter and suspicious dude in general, yes

It was fun until I was on the receiving end of it lol

Could be a nonce maybe ????

:thunk:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Even though Foo Fighters' new stuff hasn't been very good for the last decade or so I still like them and I like that they're still plugging away and trying different things. They come across really well live too.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

Total Meatlove posted:

might be misremembering but 'horrific accusation about one of the worst crimes a person could commit' but idk might be the wrong person???

This is a creeping trend on both SA and social media and it never fails to disgust me when someone does it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Foo fighters chat:

I blame Ceremy Jorbyn

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I think "cancel culture" has gone too far if someone being called nice is used as evidence to accuse them of being a pedo.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Oh gently caress... what if it was Corbyn's leadership campaign?

I got the email and I joined in 2018.

I was a member of unite from 2010 to 2018 but used a different email address for that and the email came to the address I used specifically for Labour membership (I do the thing where I have a domain with email forwarding and use a different address for every company so I can just black hole any that start getting significant spam)

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Cancel culture strikes again:

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1456267874150932505

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

The system works!

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I’d say good riddance to the oval office but I doubt it actually changes anything and he’ll just continue to lobby his ex colleagues

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Really does seem very silly that they didn't just commit, the mail isn't going to start supporting starmer and even if they did I don't think it would be enough to make anyone want to vote for him.

I can only guess it's because johnson got some poo poo from some tory or other but even then I can't really think who would care.

I suppose he could just actually be rattled by the front pages but that seems very weird because he already knows how to power through, it was the first notable thing he did as leader was sack a bunch of MPs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The obvious scenario is that the corruption upset someone else's grift.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It is a bit weird. Should be obvious to everyone that they would have had a week of bad press and by a months time the poll numbers would be back to the Tories on +10 or whatever.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I think people forget that the Mail is pro-Tory sure but that's because it's fascist. When their party of choice is in power then fascists do what they always do when in power: shrink the in-group. Patterson was the chosen outsider and not for any particular reason they just need someone to hate.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

using your wife's suicide as a shield to deflect attention from your own massive corruption is such a classy move

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Necrothatcher posted:

using your wife's suicide as a shield to deflect attention from your own massive corruption is such a classy move

Yeah his statement is one of the most classless things Ive ever seen, what a oval office.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

I have no idea what's going on here. Did the government seriously not check in with the papers before whipping for full corruption? And Paterson's had to shift from dead wife sympathy victory laps to losing his career in less than a day?

We can say a lot of things about Cameron and Osbourne but they had some cunning between them, this is some Jo swinson poo poo here

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hot drat his wife was found hanged on his birthday last year. Either she chose a powerful gently caress-you to him on the way out or someone's lying about her choosing to die.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Can't get suspended if you're no longer an MP *taps head*

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Can't get suspended if you're no longer an MP *taps head*

Can't lose your pension if this goes hush hush bye bye either

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Spangly A posted:

I have no idea what's going on here. Did the government seriously not check in with the papers before whipping for full corruption? And Paterson's had to shift from dead wife sympathy victory laps to losing his career in less than a day?

I think they took him aside and told him that the committee were going to end him anyway, so it was best if he stepped down.

And no, Boris would never check in with anyone before doing anything. He expects the media to go along with anything he suggests.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If they were going to pressure him to resign then why have the vote U turn though, that just makes it look even more chaotic.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
What's the point of having power over someone if you can't humiliate them occasionally at your whim. Even the DM could tell ut looked bad, making it the perfect opportunity for the periodic reminder the PM he's needs to grovel to the press for their kingmaking.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

OwlFancier posted:

If they were going to pressure him to resign then why have the vote U turn though, that just makes it look even more chaotic.
Boris is a silver spoon failson who has failed upwards his whole live. Don't proscribe him any competance.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Hot drat his wife was found hanged on his birthday last year. Either she chose a powerful gently caress-you to him on the way out or someone's lying about her choosing to die.

Not to get fully into it, but the circumstances strongly support the presence of ideation and a degree of preparation for an extended time. I don't think you can easily support any argument against a premeditated suicide.

We could speculate on whether it meant something, or we could laugh that an absolute piece of poo poo has just lost the last vestiges of his previous life and credibility because the Mail were bored.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pablo Bluth posted:

Boris is a silver spoon failson who has failed upwards his whole live. Don't proscribe him any competance.

I mean I don't expect him to be a genius just like, this seems a marked step down in capability even from what he has previously demonstrated. like institutionally the top of the government should be more capable than that, but I suppose it depends on whether he's hauled off and done a bunch of stuff on his own in a flap, I guess.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

I'm talking about after the u-turn. The original plan was to let Paterson get away with it, or as I suggested earlier, to trash him and only him an as example of the new Tory-controlled committee's honesty. But the original committee will not necessarily restrict their enquiries to things that only concern Paterson and he could take someone else down with him - and considering some of the things he's meant to have done, that probably includes at least one prominent frontbencher.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

OwlFancier posted:

Lol that's a good point, if they had any handle of the situation they would have asked him to resign this morning in a falling on his sword "this has become a distraction from important business" sort of way. The fact they offered a second vote just confirms they have no loving idea what's happening.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jedit posted:

I'm talking about after the u-turn. The original plan was to let Paterson get away with it, or as I suggested earlier, to trash him and only him an as example of the new Tory-controlled committee's honesty. But the original committee will not necessarily restrict their enquiries to things that only concern Paterson and he could take someone else down with him - and considering some of the things he's meant to have done, that probably includes at least one prominent frontbencher.

What I mean is earlier today they were going to have a second vote about his suspension, yes? But if they've just leaned on him to resign I would have thought that would be the first option rather than saying "oops maybe we were wrong"

If you just want it to go away then dismantling the committee and then having him resign would be the preferred outcome, surely? Without giving any hint of "well maybe we shouldn't have done that"

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I don't expect him to be a genius just like, this seems a marked step down in capability even from what he has previously demonstrated. like institutionally the top of the government should be more capable than that, but I suppose it depends on whether he's hauled off and done a bunch of stuff on his own in a flap, I guess.

The secret to government is that there's generally a set of fairly competent civil servants advising on whether certain actions are catastrophically stupid, illegal, or physically impossible. This normally puts a lower threshold on just how bad a gornment is capable of being. The Johnson administration has done an excellent job of getting rid of them, ignoring them, and pissing off the rest.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

A truly monumental clusterfuck

Con +4
Keith -3

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

I suspect, given the speed (like 2 hours max between him finding out about the u-turn and quitting), that he'd already confessed to the Tory whips all the stuff that hadn't made the papers yet and realised that it would all be used against him.

e: Or possibly in the last 24 hours he'd got a couple of calls from journos suggesting they had a lot more on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Jedit posted:

Which paper ran the story about the standards chair investigating Boris, and mogg(?) being asked a pointed question about whether she was loving off after this?

Bug Squash posted:

The secret to government is that there's generally a set of fairly competent civil servants advising on whether certain actions are catastrophically stupid, illegal, or physically impossible. This normally puts a lower threshold on just how bad a gornment is capable of being. The Johnson administration has done an excellent job of getting rid of them, ignoring them, and pissing off the rest.

Priti Patel complained about a hostile environment against minorities because a civil servant said you can't put foreigners in a volcano