Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Like I said, It just felt... right... for ASG to be hunting Dagon cultists.

He's picked up pretty good shotgun exp!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Elendil004 posted:

No the Pagan and Arc Dream people hate nazis and have said more than once they don't even want nazi's buying their games and playing them.

This is excellent. As I found myself yelling multiple times in bars, starting in Nov 2016 at some old white gently caress who massively misjudged what he'd get wearing his MAGA hat in Harlem, [gently caressing] Nazis was my grandpa's first job out of high school and I'd be honored to follow in the family biz.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hey, does anyone know if the DG Handler's Screen/Need to Know bundle will get reprinted at any point?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Siivola posted:

Hey, does anyone know if the DG Handler's Screen/Need to Know bundle will get reprinted at any point?

They’re supposed to be working on one, but * waves hands * 2021

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The 2021 Delta Green Shotgun Scenario contest is open. Quick, short, sweet scenarios, if you are a regular writer then use it to cap off an idea you've had or scratch an itch. If you're not a regular writer then this is a nice simple contest to get started with.

Details here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mqYioDkpni2TSofJsid_L_dej4MA1SNTnv5iWYdb16w/edit?usp=sharing

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

They’re supposed to be working on one, but * waves hands * 2021
It’s been a weird year. :sigh:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

If I want to run a game that takes place in a modern setting where the players are normal people who have run-ins with Mythos poo poo and shadowy men in black trying to cover it up, is it better to use Call of Cthulhu with the modern option or does Delta Green have anything to offer for a party of characters who are not themselves the shadowy men in black?

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

I'd say it depends somewhat on the tone that you're going for. Delta Green focuses a lot more on how dealing with the horrors can will isolate and destroy you. It's definitely heavily slanted towards the characters being professionals of some sort and more competent besides. If you're looking to have it be a group of "normal" folks getting in over their heads then Call of Cthulhu might be a better fit.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Delta Green has a few mechanical quality of life improvements over Call of Cthulhu, so if you're choosing totally sight unseen I'd go with DG. But if you and your group already know and like the Call of Cthulhu system then just stick with CoC.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I would say Bonds and Adaptation are worthwhile enough mechanics that don't necessarily require Fed player characters that if it's a horse apiece to you I'd go Delta Green, especially if you're doing modern-day.

Shotgun scenario idea:

Kyle Timothy Woodson is a brain in a jar. March Technologies has plugged him in to a quantum computer and is making all kinds of progress unravelling mysteries of consciousness and the mind. But he just wants to die, and he's using his network connection to scream it with brownouts, air traffic control glitches, and ever more escalating tendrils into the digital world until someone released him from the darkness imprisoning him; absolute horror.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

I would say Bonds and Adaptation are worthwhile enough mechanics that don't necessarily require Fed player characters that if it's a horse apiece to you I'd go Delta Green, especially if you're doing modern-day.
There's something to this, but equally I would say that there's enough shared DNA between the two systems that lifting Bonds and Adaptation from the Delta Green quickstart and patching them into CoC is near-trivial, so I wouldn't say it is worth getting the full-fat Delta Green rulebooks if you already own and are conversant with CoC unless you are specifically interested in playing Feds and/or using the Delta Green setting stuff. They're good ideas, but by themselves I would not say they are good enough ideas to justify two big hardback rulebooks, it's the Delta Green setting and the play-the-Feds conceit combined with the system stuff which sells those.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah good point the presentation is a little focused and you gotta buy a rather expensive second book for all the monster stats and forbidden tomes that has a lot of other setting stuff you're not gonna use. What can I say I like DG.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Warthur posted:

There's something to this, but equally I would say that there's enough shared DNA between the two systems that lifting Bonds and Adaptation from the Delta Green quickstart and patching them into CoC is near-trivial, so I wouldn't say it is worth getting the full-fat Delta Green rulebooks if you already own and are conversant with CoC unless you are specifically interested in playing Feds and/or using the Delta Green setting stuff. They're good ideas, but by themselves I would not say they are good enough ideas to justify two big hardback rulebooks, it's the Delta Green setting and the play-the-Feds conceit combined with the system stuff which sells those.

Could you feasibly get the base mechanics for Bonds from Need to Know? I know some people have used that to transfer the Lethality rules from DG to 7th Edition.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I've been asked by a DM who just ran a 20 player D&D West Marches campaign over 3+ years to come out of GM retirement and run something. My first thought was my favorite game, CoC, but the game is mostly going to be online and I have no experience running online. My inexperience plus the fact its through a screen means I don't think I can create the necessary tone for a great CoC campaign. I've decided to go with my other favorite game: Deadlands - a Weird West cowboy horror game.

While working through what I want to present, I realized that Deadlands wouldn't be too far removed from a pulpyCoC game and decided to sprinkle some in. The game already has elements of cosmic horror and sanity loss and even a crossover adventure brilliantly titled "Adios A-Mi-Go." In fact, part of the first season will include pieces setting up to running Masks of Nyarlathotep in the Weird West. Swapping NY for New Orleans, the Kenya mountain scenario for Devil's Tower, etc. I'm only really familiar with the bigger CoC campaigns like Tatters, Masks, Orient Express, so my question for yall is can you think of any CoC adventures that would work especially well transplanted to this setting and to characters actually capable of filling enemies with lead?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I don't really think there's any difference (or difficulty) in running CoC or Deadlands online, but anyway.

There is a dedicated CoC Wild West sourcebook and a scenario collection for it:

https://www.chaosium.com/down-darker-trails-pdf/

https://www.chaosium.com/shadows-over-stillwater-pdf/

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

weekly font posted:

I've been asked by a DM who just ran a 20 player D&D West Marches campaign over 3+ years to come out of GM retirement and run something. My first thought was my favorite game, CoC, but the game is mostly going to be online and I have no experience running online. My inexperience plus the fact its through a screen means I don't think I can create the necessary tone for a great CoC campaign. I've decided to go with my other favorite game: Deadlands - a Weird West cowboy horror game.

While working through what I want to present, I realized that Deadlands wouldn't be too far removed from a pulpyCoC game and decided to sprinkle some in. The game already has elements of cosmic horror and sanity loss and even a crossover adventure brilliantly titled "Adios A-Mi-Go." In fact, part of the first season will include pieces setting up to running Masks of Nyarlathotep in the Weird West. Swapping NY for New Orleans, the Kenya mountain scenario for Devil's Tower, etc. I'm only really familiar with the bigger CoC campaigns like Tatters, Masks, Orient Express, so my question for yall is can you think of any CoC adventures that would work especially well transplanted to this setting and to characters actually capable of filling enemies with lead?

If you can wait a little I expect Gunslinger playtest rules will be out soonish. It's DG with a bunch of quality of life.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Got my hard copies of Tour De Lovecraft: The Tales and The Destinations today.

They're really cool! Full of essays about either Lovecraft's stories or the places he wrote about, it's a good deep dive into his work.

I think the tales book can probably be skipped if you're already into Lovecraft criticism, but it's a nice overview if you aren't.

The destinations book is super cool, just a bunch of analysis on the settings of Lovecraft stories and places mentioned therein. If you're looking for a discussion on what the moon means in various Lovecraft stories, to the point of there being a table that mentions the phase of the moon and a tiny summary of its role in the story, this is the book for you.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Got my hard copies of Tour De Lovecraft: The Tales and The Destinations today.

They're really cool! Full of essays about either Lovecraft's stories or the places he wrote about, it's a good deep dive into his work.

I think the tales book can probably be skipped if you're already into Lovecraft criticism, but it's a nice overview if you aren't.

The destinations book is super cool, just a bunch of analysis on the settings of Lovecraft stories and places mentioned therein. If you're looking for a discussion on what the moon means in various Lovecraft stories, to the point of there being a table that mentions the phase of the moon and a tiny summary of its role in the story, this is the book for you.

I did not know these existed and now I need them in my library. Thank you for bringing these up.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Has anyone run a "scooby doo ending" Delta Green scenario successfully?

They can't afford to let a manifestation of something tentacular and nasty go too long, so having to dispatch agents to get a lid on it surely they get the occasional false positive.

Is there a way to make that satisfying for the players?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Owlbear Camus posted:

They can't afford to let a manifestation of something tentacular and nasty go too long, so having to dispatch agents to get a lid on it surely they get the occasional false positive.

Give them something they can still shoot and I imagine it'll be fine

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Owlbear Camus posted:

A thematic suggestion, at the risk of spoiling a Doctor Who spinoff that's over a decade old: The Torchwood episode "Countrycide" (in addition to having just a terrific title) came the closest that show ever did to Scooby-Doo Old-Man-Jenkins hijinks. The Torchwood team are accustomed to dealing with otherworldly threats, so when they run into some back-country cannibals they automatically assume Something Strange is afoot. Instead, after a tense series of sieges and half the team in danger of being eaten, we get this ending:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxbFCmYbsrQ

:allears:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i'm planning a oneshot session for when me and my friends meet together in a few weeks.
i could use some help with fun/scary ideas or ways to avoid things going off the rails too much (i usually let things go all the way off but a oneshot has to be tighter)

basically the PCs are all friends who are meeting up in a remote airBnB to say goodbye to one of their friends (an NPC) who is leaving to live abroad with their wife and new kid.
the whole thing turns out to be a ritual sacrificing them to power the transport of an antichrist figure to the mi-go on Yuggoth.

>they arrive in a torrential rainstorm that floods all the surrounding roads and there is some light social RP, im thinking they have to make dinner or something and successfully doing it gives them each a bonus die to use when they choose and failing gives them a minus die for when i choose. there are also some high proof spirits that can be drunk or turned into explosives later.
>the friend seems a bit edgy and if they push him they find out that before they arrived he thought he saw someone out the window. a high skill check will see a dark, hooded figure outside in the rain. going to investigate leads to the player either being driven inside by rain or trying to go further and ending up mysteriously back at the house.
>the players can investigate the house and find some basic weaponry, maybe an old shotgun, some odd books talking about some kind of hunt that happens in the area, and a bunch of stuff just put in the wrong place (as if the place was tidyed up by something...inhuman???). investigation notices that a lot of the books have weird poo poo written in the margins and these books are all marked by a red thumbprint and hidden around the place. some sort of substition cipher reveals that the text is warning them that something below wants to use them "as payment to cross the styx" and cross the great dark sea. its beneath them and they need to kill it. (i'd prefer this last bit to be revealed a little later but dont know when)
>the lights go off and the players have to go outside to turn them back on again, the figures can be seen again, with high rolls confronting the figure means taking a load of sanity damage since whatever is under the robe doesnt look right at all (its a mi-go), leading to them fleeing back inside anyway.
if possible, their pal the NPC goes missing during this sequence.
>the house is now different now that the lights are on, once players are all inside they are now locked in. blood tracks are all over the place, they lead to one of the offices. in which there is a headless, handless corpse sitting peacefully in the chair, any investigator who went around this room before things changed now has blood marks on them from unwittingly touching it while it "wasnt there". a decent investigation roll reveals it to be the body of their pal the NPC. if the NPC is still with them they react with appropriate shock and have no idea what the hell is going on.
>the NPC pal reappears if not already with them, if already with them he begins to deteriorate mentally. saying hes so sorry he just wasn't good enough and hes worthless. his clothes begin to fall away and he is revealed to be a decapitated head and hands on top of a body made of swarming bugs and he chases the players. he can be defeated by blows to the head but it takes hard successes to hit it, anything else deals minimum damage. he weilds a knife.
>at the end of the chase a new door is uncovered which the NPC pal will not enter, it causes him great distress to look at it. if he isnt defeated the players are driven inside here by him then he wanders off crying.
>inside the secret room, which can potentially be found earlier after the house changes, is a surgeons table with occult poo poo all over the walls. the body of his kid is on the table, also decapitated. there is a page from a book torn out, reading it damages sanity but outlines some sort of process to prepare the head for transport.
inspecting the kids body too closely, by touching it for example, leads to the body beginning to fuse with the flesh of the investigator, needing to be amputated with a hacksaw thats in the room.
> whether investigated or not, the kids body becomes alive and attacks the investigators, stretching and contorting, its touch begins to quickly invade the flesh of any investigator leading to rapid death if not removed. at this point i'm happy for players to begin dying. the kidcreature is highly resistant to damage and only fire has a good effect.
>if not already slain the NPC pal joins the chase too, the two monsters drive the players downstairs into the room they started in, which now has a big trapdoor open. the NPC pal will begin insanely yelling at them to get in and he doesnt want to kill them if they need encouraging inside.
>inside the chase stops and the players find themselves in the basement, which is full of old books explaining the situation, including the book the page from the secret kid room was torn from, the rest of the ritual is here. the purpose is to transport the kids head to Yuggoth where he will join "the whisperers" (mi-go) as a powerful mythos wizard. a good roll will figure out how to stop or subvert the ritual, anything but a bad roll will explain that you can enter the magic circle and kill the head while inside, but anyone inside the circle will die too.
>further inside the basement is a room with the magic circle and the kids head, which is alive and very, scenery-chewingly evil. the bodies of any previously slain or incapacitated investigators are here within the circle, any that got entangled by the child's body are here too all gooped up.
the kids head starts casting mind control spells, if those fail he starts casting lethal spells.
>the most straightforward way to win is to enter the circle and destroy the head and its container, which will kill anyone in the circle but also kill the wizardchild.
if one or more investigators have been reading all the books right they will have spells both to silence him and dispel the magic sustaining him. if the players manage this, they are joined in the room by a ring of robed Mi-go, who they have impressed. the Mi-go will want them to take the childs place and have their heads transported to Yuggoth. if the players decline, the Mi-go assess their odds, if the players are still in good shape they will sulkily slink away. otherwise they will kill the others and select the player with the highest mythos score to be transported against their will as a head.

as i see it the issue with the structure is that theres a few places the players need to go and i spend a couple of the beats just hoping they run in the right direction. I'm wondering if theres a better way to e.g. get them into the basement at the end? or how to parcel out clues as to whats going on, but also red herrings to keep them guessing?

e: didnt really mean to write the whole outline there but just got carried away, feel free to skip, just want some fun tips for spooks and scares

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 4, 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Maybe it's just me but that whole scenario just feels unpleasantly dark, but then I prefer my Mythos stuff to be on the pulp side of things when it's in an interactive format

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That’s a fine horror movie outline but as far as I can see there’s nothing for the players to actually do about any of this. When are they going to read any of the books, do they barricade themselves in the library while the friend-shaped bug pile bangs on the door?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Siivola posted:

That’s a fine horror movie outline but as far as I can see there’s nothing for the players to actually do about any of this. When are they going to read any of the books, do they barricade themselves in the library while the friend-shaped bug pile bangs on the door?

My thoughts exactly

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I've been thinking about that outline and I think what it needs is actually more slasher flick vibe and less investigation. Fake Dad can just spill the beans on the evil plot whenever, and then it’s a race to escape crazy traps in the house and find Final Boss Baby's poorly-hidden weakness, like maybe his decapitated body needs to get dissolved in convenient acid or something.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

weekly font posted:

This is the inverse of what you asked, but I'm reading Butcher's Crossing, and while the bad crazy hasn't kicked off yet, I'm getting a strong "Treasure of the Sierra Madre"+Donner Party vibe except the treasure is the hides of the last herd of buffalo the four protags slaughtered well past the point they could even carry all the hides down off the mountain. Isn't there some Mythos Monster that's basically a Wendigo? (googled, Ithaqua). Anyway, if what you want is a premade-but-convertible I got nothing but if you're willing to wait a month or so, I'll probably crap out a one-shot based on the book.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Lumbermouth posted:

Could you feasibly get the base mechanics for Bonds from Need to Know? I know some people have used that to transfer the Lethality rules from DG to 7th Edition.
I would say so. You may need to infer a little bit here and there (I forget whether Need To Know has the downtime rules which can have crossover with Bonds), but the basic mechanics of what Bonds are, how you determine starting score, and how they are used in play are there. (You will need to bear in mind that your Bond starting score is your CHA starting score in DG, which of course will be CHA divided by five in 7th edition CoC, that's it for conversion).

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Are there any good videos or guides out there with tips for exciting CoC combat? Like 99% of what I found on Youtube is for D&D.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Are there any good videos or guides out there with tips for exciting CoC combat? Like 99% of what I found on Youtube is for D&D.

Exciting combat in CoC is always going to be difficult because it's a very lethal game where the lethality is alleviated only by low hit chances that give you a chance to run away. On top of this the combat system is fairly rudimentary in that early 1980s D&D way where it's mostly about rolling dice until one side wins, which gives few opportunities for engaging the players. Doubly so because the general advice to players for combat in CoC is "don't, you will die".

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Combat maneuvers that aren’t about dealing damage are probably the best way to make combat exciting. That and the chase rules.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

DrSunshine posted:

I found that most fights with the supernatural stuff boil down to chase scenes against the monsters.

Depending on how pulpy you want to go you could use set pieces to slow/hurt the bigger stuff in a chase scene. For example; I added an exhibition car on a ship that I thought the players could use to escape a modified shoggoth made out of people but instead one of them drove it right into it. They got lucky with the dice rolls so it stopped the shoggoth and the player survived. Obviously I made the shoggoth disperse into a pile of mutilated bodies and since they all had lost a bunch of SAN nobody could be sure if the shoggoth was real or not ☝️

Fight scenes against other humans can turn really great if you add a problem or two happening simultaneously, forcing the players to split. You could have a fist fight with a cultist/whatever with the players who want to fight as a distraction for the non combat players. Always remind players of the maneuver action. It's more fun shoving a baddie through a window than punching him or her until the health reaches 0. This way there's a chance they might survive and return with reinforcement, adding even more tension.

Edit
What Dr. Lunchables said ☝️

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Just remember, dynamite is the best martial art.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Owlbear Camus posted:

Stygian Fox released a modern day scenario pack called Occam's Razor where all the scenarios turn out to have mundane explanations. Most of them are bad because they don't have any actual gameplay outside the bait-and switch, but a couple (Frozen Footsteps and A Whole Pack Of Trouble in particular) are engaging the whole way through.

The successes and failures of those modules were the inspiration for a recently completed scenario contest on the Night at the Opera server. You can read the entries on the second page of the contest document.

The core of a good mundane scenario is a conflict or mystery that stays interesting even after the players discover that nothing supernatural is going on.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Also it’s sort of obvious but consider what lengths your NPCs are willing to go. A mobster out to break legs might not want to escalate to shooting people unless cornered, for example.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

You can also build tension by having a classical shootout situation rather than needing to have dynamic play by play on a tactical map. Although I think for a really tense shootout you would need to create some sense of space, even if you might not need it to fit a five-foot-square grid or anything. I'm thinking something like Old Man Winters and his deranged grand-nephew Chudderson are holed up in the witch-house/meth-lab out in the woods and Winters is screaming about Yog-Sothoth and poo poo from the attic.

You could approach this in a range of ways. If you have a good rifleman in the party you can do a shootout from the treeline. You could wait for dark. You could use a car as cover and huddle behind it. You could have someone sneak behind. etc.

If they just barge inwards you should have them get shot (if possibly with a, hn hn, SANITY check if they're just trying to follow the momentum), though they might just get winged.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

One thing that's cool is that there's no "in combat" switch that changes game mode. So if you avoid miniatures and a battle map, you can run it a more dangerous section of regular game.

You really want to de-emphasize anything that signals "this is a combat encounter, " since that's extremely familiar (and boring) terrain for gamers.

A hail of bullets impacting their train car, bystanders exploding into lightning and gore, or a man liquefying before their eyes is going to be more memorable than anything that happens on gridded vinyl.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

On that note, there's no need to tie everything to the initiative order either. Just ask the players what their goals are and work from there, it'll work out.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

When I've had 'combat turns' I haven't bothered with any kind of initiative... if you shot first, or have some obvious reason to get first reaction, you go, then we just go around the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Planning to run the Tcho-Tcho module from Unspeakable Oath #25 and almost feel like having their handler all but address the fourth wall with a Whoopie Goldberg Loony Tune Disclaimer. "My father fought shoulder to shoulder with ARVN, Hmong, Montagnard. Amazing people, got to meet some of the ones we got back to the states. This is different. This is you know, fictional."