Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Voyager I posted:

That's a perfectly fine haircut for photo day in 3rd grade.

That was my 3rd grade photo haircut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Kramering in to excuse Michael Richards

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I remember after the Michael Richards thing happened, someone cut together a bunch of clips from Kramer storylines that put together made him seem like a major racist. I remember it being pretty funny but it probably hasn't aged well at all.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Mooseontheloose posted:

There are a string of late 90s and early 2000s Comedy Central Presents that I remember loving and NEVER HEARING from any one of those comedians again.

I have a distant memory of a stand-up bit that was in Late Night with Conan O'Brian where the stand-up comedian kept telling corny, stupid jokes and smashing dinner plates on his forehead. Basically looked like someone having a coked out mania episode on the stage. His closing line was something like "One thing is certain though, *no-one* is going to steal this act".

To this day I have not found who that was, and I am 97% certain it wasn't fever dream.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Der Kyhe posted:

I have a distant memory of a stand-up bit that was in Late Night with Conan O'Brian where the stand-up comedian kept telling corny, stupid jokes and smashing dinner plates on his forehead. Basically looked like someone having a coked out mania episode on the stage. His closing line was something like "One thing is certain though, *no-one* is going to steal this act".

To this day I have not found who that was, and I am 97% certain it wasn't fever dream.

Only thing that came to mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBtlIuTnlh0

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Peyote Panda posted:

My dumb rear end had the same initial misreading of Sin City and Boondock Saints. :ughh:

Wait wait wait

Boondock Saints wasn't supposed to be a parody?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Wait wait wait

IT WAS A FIREFIGHT! :pram:

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
double post:

So Helga was the original Tsundere?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

double post:

So Helga was the original Tsundere?

First American tsundere, yes

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tom Cruise in The Last Tsundere

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Tsundere Road is my favourite Bruce Springsteen song.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Martman posted:

Tom Cruise in The Last Tsundere

Not to mention Days of Tsundere

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Wait wait wait

No, the director is a massive piece of poo poo who publicly went on a screed about how sometimes people just need to take things into their own hands and murder the people who "deserve" it.

Boondocks Saints is entirely earnest about its message and is basically just a dude's murder fantasies projected onscreen.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
There's a painfully intimate documentary about the making of Boondock Saints called Overnight that plays out like a particularly agonizing Christopher Guest film.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
The thing about Boondock Saints is it appeals to a certain type of person.

For a reason. It's weird to describe a BS fan but they own guns, they think white lives matter. You know them on sight.

They get offended if you get offended. Yay!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm not doubting any of what you're saying, but it's incredibly hard for me to wrap my head around the idea of a chud power fantasy that involves cross-dressing to disguise yourself as a hooker.

We're on an ascended plane of "what the gently caress is wrong with you?" where it's not just trying to figure out how you have such terrible opinions, but struggling even harder to understand how this was the way you chose to express them.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's like when I read that recentish Brett easton Eliis interview, and I was like huh, you think Rules of Attraction was just a fun old time at college and not a horror novel

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Reminder that UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson thinks the mayor in Jaws was a hero for keeping the beaches open.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

Jokes on whoever that was because that's a Monty Python bit.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Captain Fargle posted:

Jokes on whoever that was because that's a Monty Python bit.

That was the wrong clip. Apologies. Pretty sure it was Cleese but oh well.

BaldDwarfOnPCP has a new favorite as of 03:48 on Nov 4, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Voyager I posted:

I'm not doubting any of what you're saying, but it's incredibly hard for me to wrap my head around the idea of a chud power fantasy that involves cross-dressing to disguise yourself as a hooker.

We're on an ascended plane of "what the gently caress is wrong with you?" where it's not just trying to figure out how you have such terrible opinions, but struggling even harder to understand how this was the way you chose to express them.

The power fantasy is the brothers. Everyone else is. A silly character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8pJBCCrZl8

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Hey now, not JUST chuds like Boondock Saints. Teenage boys do, which we can all agree is much worse, I say as someone who was one and though that movie was SICK when I was a kid.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I mean, I thought the movie was alright, but I didn't like it enough to make it a personality trait or cosplay as a religious vigilante.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Boondock Saints tries too hard, it's embarrassing

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Glagha posted:

Hey now, not JUST chuds like Boondock Saints. Teenage boys do, which we can all agree is much worse, I say as someone who was one and though that movie was SICK when I was a kid.

I thought it was the coolest thing ever when I was 12. Luckily people grow up.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
Boondock Saints is a 14 year old's imagination run wild after seeing pulp fiction

A friend of mine once said she didn't like tarantino movies because of "the one where they shot the cat"

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it's funny because in Hollywood you have to be nice, so all the actors who worked on the turd that is boondock saints would probably go on about how brilliant it was and how they fell in love with the script

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hell, I could see Dafoe having a legitimately fun time shooting it. Imagine reading through a script and coming to the realization that it would be physically impossible for you to overact and that you can go as ham as you like.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean they let William overact even in Hollywood movies.

Like he chewing scenery in Spider man

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I watched the old hammer films version of the hound of the Baskervilles yesterday, and while generally good, the peasant woman's "Spanish" accent was bad to the point of being offensive, but also I couldn't help but laugh

I have been watching old movies in the background while playing a game lately, since you can usually follow them with just sound. I thought that would work for the house on haunted hill, but every time Vincent Price came on screen I got distracted and died

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean they let William overact even in Hollywood movies.

Like he chewing scenery in Spider man

That’s actually just regular acting in a Sam Raimi movie

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Boondock Saints worked on the strength of a complete amateur pulling a fun action movie script out of his rear end. He was always honest about it just being a fun power fantasy action movie. I can respect that more than Scorsese's approach of "and then the protagonist goes to jail in the last 5 minutes because I swear my movies don't glorify crime *wink*"

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

rodbeard posted:

Boondock Saints worked on the strength of a complete amateur pulling a fun action movie script out of his rear end. He was always honest about it just being a fun power fantasy action movie. I can respect that more than Scorsese's approach of "and then the protagonist goes to jail in the last 5 minutes because I swear my movies don't glorify crime *wink*"

lol

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

hawowanlawow posted:

it's funny because in Hollywood you have to be nice, so all the actors who worked on the turd that is boondock saints would probably go on about how brilliant it was and how they fell in love with the script

I haven't seen Boondock Saints since I was young enough to be the target audience, but yeah playing that character must have been a loving blast.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I haven't seen Boondock Saints in over a decade so it probably sucks but at the time I enjoyed it as a ridiculous OTT action movie. I mean, it's got Billy Connelly as an assassin with six guns! How can anyone take that entirely seriously?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I thought everyone was talking about the boondocks for the longest time.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I thought everyone was talking about the boondocks for the longest time.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

I haven't seen Boondock Saints in over a decade so it probably sucks but at the time I enjoyed it as a ridiculous OTT action movie. I mean, it's got Billy Connelly as an assassin with six guns! How can anyone take that entirely seriously?

Boondock Saints was absolutely massively fawned over on the early 2000's toxic-masculinity-brand internet that gave us Maddox's Alphabet of Manliness, r/Creepshots, and SomethingAwful.com.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
When I saw Boondock Saints I thought it was basically okay, carried almost entirely by Dafoe and THERE WAS A FIREFIGHT! Though Billy Connolly playing a stone cold killer was also kinda neat.

Like for me it was incredibly forgettable. Was surprised that it of all the QT-wannabe guys-with-guns indies was the big cult flick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

I haven't seen it in a long time either but it probably still works on that level. It's the realization that the creator meant it to be taken seriously that's wack. Whether you can still enjoy it as a parody even if that wasn't intended that way by the author is going to vary from person to person.

Another somewhat similar example of that hit me recently when I started replaying one of the Batman Arkham games. Realizing that the fantasy Gotham City of that game, where anarchy rules the streets and a heavily armed and armored Thin Blue Line is thus justified in imposing martial law, really is how a depressing number of my fellow Americans think things really are cast a serious pall. I mean, it wasn't a good look to begin with but revisiting it after the events of the last few years hit really hard.

I certainly don't think the developers had any intent to create an urban environment straight out right-wing grievance fantasies and in past play-throughs I just shrugged it off as the usual action-movie-style cophumper bullshit but the intervening years make it read a lot differently to me now. I said gently caress it and uninstalled after 5 minutes.