Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Harrow posted:

I would say that SMT IV tends to have a bigger focus on character development than other mainline SMT games so it's possible if someone started there (or, maybe even more so, IV Apocalypse) they might feel like something with less of a character focus is a step back even if it might be seen by others as a return to form.

I'm sure there are reviewers who consider themselves SMT fans who liked the greater focus on characters and friendship in IV and IV:A and who wanted more of that in V.

the reviewer sayus its their first mainline smt game lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Drashin posted:

Can you tell us if there is anything major in SMTV that requires a guide like SMTIV did with its neutral ending requirements?

I can't answer for 100% sure to be honest. I was able to choose from three paths clearly but there are four pips for endings on the save file so it is possible there is something I missed.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

epic cann we get a run down of speicifcally how it ends also, outside spoiler tags please? :D

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stux posted:

epic cann we get a run down of speicifcally how it ends also, outside spoiler tags please? :D

You and your demons fight other demons until you win.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Are there any new movement mechanics introduced beyond what's been shown in trailers and videos? You don't have to say what they are, only if there are any. Even something as simple as like a double jump or something.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

But my primary go to example for this is Zelenin and Jimenez. You can't even talk to them outside of mandatory story beats, and that really irritated me because I wanted to chat them up between worlds or whatever. But despite our spending so much less time with them than either Jon or Walt, they are still much better written characters as I both logically understand and emotionally empathize with their downfalls. Some folks don't like Zelenin but I see a lot of myself in her and could easily imagine myself going down her path.

A law character that's a walking grammatical error doesn't make much sense to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

Are there any new movement mechanics introduced beyond what's been shown in trailers and videos? You don't have to say what they are, only if there are any. Even something as simple as like a double jump or something.

No. You have your mobility options from the start.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ImpAtom posted:

You and your demons fight other demons until you win.

Welp, I'm sold.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm just gonna quote myself from the switch thread to express my excitement.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

With SMT5 a week away this morning I woke up and stared into the bathroom screaming in a demonic tongue while blood poured from my eyes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

https://twitter.com/Atlus_West/status/1456309534868185105

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Shoutouts to the reviewer uneasy about the concept of a femme man, but in an ally way

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

:yeshaha:

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

wologar posted:

Are... are they not?

Nah man everyone loves Demi-fiend for his rich backstory and multifaceted personality duh

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I can't answer for 100% sure to be honest. I was able to choose from three paths clearly but there are four pips for endings on the save file so it is possible there is something I missed.

Could be you missed a chance for a "bad" ending like aligning yourself with The White in IV or that Nocturne one that calls you out for being a coward

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Shoutouts to the reviewer uneasy about the concept of a femme man, but in an ally way

Lmao

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

Oh no what review is that, I have to see

I know better but I must click

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Mythological Pokémon seems pretty accurate though, but SMT is less brutal.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Harrow posted:

I don't know, I was just judging off of the snippet in that image, which may be unfair. I feel the same dread to see the context

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So game good and nerds are being weird and starting a civil war between P5 and SMT?

That said this owns

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Unlucky7 posted:

So game good and nerds are being weird and starting a civil war between P5 and SMT?

That said this owns

It’s basically that boss baby tweet but with people actually paid to have opinions

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If by nerds you mean the worthless fucks known as game journalists yeah.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

lol

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Gaius Marius posted:

Did Kotaku poo poo on your cat or something?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Harrow posted:

This Primagames one

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wtf prima games still exists

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Primagames posted:

It’s an overwhelming piece of post-apocalyptic JRPG cake even for someone like me, who has read the original Megami Tensei novels.

drat that flex lol

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

quote:

Seems weird/shallow to flaunt gender ambiguity but firmly refer to MC as “him”
Sure, let's pretend every language should work like English. Nothing problematic about that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
smt is for the boy's (who look like girl's)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean your gender matters basically nil aside from like two Demon negotiations so they could have included a gender swap option for relatively little effort.

Not the end of the world or anything but I can see being disappointed in a game where you can pretend to be a girl to make demons like you more but can't actually play as one.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Spermando posted:

Sure, let's pretend every language should work like English. Nothing problematic about that.

I mean, Japanese rarely even uses pronouns in conversation, and could get away with using no pronouns for the protagonist, so IDK why you are using this argument.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The "woke" opinion being that men can't be gnc or femme without being actually secret trans or whatever is nothing new tbh.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://twitter.com/chuchumcgoo/status/1456316198447198208

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

this

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
more games should force you to play as an extremely girlish looking robot boy. based on a sample size of MGS2, Metal Gear Rising and 2021 goty SMTV it is the "secret sauce" to making a master piece of gaming

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raiden can't turn his hand into a lightsaber and is so inferior.

Also doesn't have the most sassy motherfucker battle pose ever

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ImpAtom posted:

Raiden can't turn his hand into a lightsaber and is so inferior.

Also doesn't have the most sassy motherfucker battle pose ever

no but he has high heels that can hold his sword which is extremely good

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Zero series is better than the X series so this all checks out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The "woke" opinion being that men can't be gnc or femme without being actually secret trans or whatever is nothing new tbh.

I'm pretty sure the point was that they could have let the player decide on what gender nahobino was, which is rare to get in a JRPG.