Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

DreadUnknown posted:

I feel in my bones that a manacured lawn is a sure sign of a deeply troubled mind.

Lawn having in general is a sign of mental illness.

Even more insane than the HOA drama here: a story about city code enforcement.

This guy in south Austin recently had code enforcement show up with a warrant to mow his lawn (this is a real thing they do, mostly to prevent snakes and other possibly hazardous wildlife from overrunning a lawn, to keep vegetation away from power lines, etc) and when they started mowing, which they had already done several times in the past at his house, he opened fire on them and they called the police and it ended up in a swat standoff where he set fire to the house and eventually got killed by swat.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/man-shot-by-police-in-southwest-austin-swat-standoff-last-week-identified/

Google maps (it looks a little ragged here but not “call the city” put of control, I have no idea if it was worse when they started mowing):

Now:

Don’t have a lawn, folks. If the HOA doesn’t make you maintain the lawn, the city lawn mowing team will.

No lawns ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

This guy in south Austin recently had code enforcement show up with a warrant to mow his lawn (this is a real thing they do, mostly to prevent snakes and other possibly hazardous wildlife from overrunning a lawn, to keep vegetation away from power lines, etc) and when they started mowing, which they had already done several times in the past at his house, he opened fire on them and they called the police and it ended up in a swat standoff where he set fire to the house and eventually got killed by swat.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/man-shot-by-police-in-southwest-austin-swat-standoff-last-week-identified/

Google maps (it looks a little ragged here but not “call the city” put of control, I have no idea if it was worse when they started mowing):

Now:

Don’t have a lawn, folks. If the HOA doesn’t make you maintain the lawn, the city lawn mowing team will.

No lawns ever.
Would you say that the SWAT team mowed him down? :dadjoke:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
"Television and the internet will be replaced by one thing worse than both."

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Given the dad’s infidelity and the crappy son’s constant use of ‘naggy’ about her for perfectly reasonable parenting stuff I’m betting he learned those attitudes towards his poor mom at home.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

teen witch posted:

Strict parents raise sneaky kids. It’s better for you to be open and honest as to what social media does, and teach them responsibility, not withhold it.

By the time your kids are within the age of inquiry about social media, it’ll be a different ballgame, one way or another. Just teach them appropriate boundaries and how sometimes social media can be good (ie - saying happy birthday to grandma, a funny picture) and how social media can be bad (misinformation, bullying)

Treat your kids like cognizant beings.

Having a strict father that liked to use his fists to make a point just made me into a fantastic liar really good at hiding things when I was a kid.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Now:

No lawns ever.

we killed our lawn and let the woods grow in on the quarter-acre we do have, the city lawn police rolled up last month and fined us for having weeds. now we're trying to figure out a raspberry bush and poison ivy hedgerow to slow down the inevitable SWAT team

teen witch posted:

Strict parents raise sneaky kids. It’s better for you to be open and honest as to what social media does, and teach them responsibility, not withhold it.

By the time your kids are within the age of inquiry about social media, it’ll be a different ballgame, one way or another. Just teach them appropriate boundaries and how sometimes social media can be good (ie - saying happy birthday to grandma, a funny picture) and how social media can be bad (misinformation, bullying)

Treat your kids like cognizant beings.

yeah parents going into an over-the-top freakout about something mostly harmless just indicates that whatever it is is worth the trouble, just show your kid how loving corny 99% of Facebook is and they won't bother like everyone else under 60

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 4, 2021

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

teen witch posted:

Strict parents raise sneaky kids.

*raises paw*

Of course I didn't trust my parents either but still

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

Would you say that the SWAT team mowed him down? :dadjoke:

:wow:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My mom loved to disconnect the router and hide the key to the cabinet it was in

I loved to find it in seconds like the worst-designed game of Riven

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Brawnfire posted:

I appreciate the throwback to Riven.

AITA for kicking my BIL and his pregnant wife out of mine and my husband's house?

quote:

My husband and I are both 34. Couple of months ago my BIL (husband's brother) and his wife moved in with us temporarily until their new house is ready and because their previous lease was up. They're planning to stay with us for around 6 months. My BIL's wife is 7 months pregnant in a critical condition and it's her first kid. By the way BIL is 28 and his wife is 25.

Since they moved in with us I feel like a maid in my own house. I knew I'd have to help the woman with some things regarding her pregnancy but I didn't expect to be a maid. I work a 9-5 job, my job is 1 hour drive so I leave home at 8 and come back at 6 every single day. My husband works the same hours too.

So my BIL and his wife always complain when I'm late from work because BIL's wife needs help. I barely get to sit down and eat every time. I told them multiple times to let me have some time to myself because I'm burnt out. His wife's reply was "you don't know what burnt out means until you get pregnant now go cook me something". I put up with them for the sake of my husband and out of respect for her critical condition but this morning I had enough.

As I was ready to leave for work, his wife got up and demanded I make her breakfast, she wanted coffee, juice, a sandwich and a croissant. I told her sorry I don't have time I got to leave. She said "get your rear end back here and make the fuckin breakfast I'm pregnant for fucks sake". I lost it and started screaming at her telling her who the gently caress does she think she is ordering me around in my own house, telling her her husband is a lazy gently caress who hasn't done anything to help her and expects me to be her maid? Told them I'm nobody's maid and this is my house and I won't tolerate the disrespect anymore so they should back their things and go somewhere else to leave. I left for work came back and I saw both bil and his wife sitting on the couch and bil said he's notified my husband and he's not too happy about it. My husband came home furious and told me I'm an AH for not respecting a pregnant woman and he hopes I have nobody to help me if I get pregnant because I deserve it for speaking to a heavily pregnant woman like that and he said nobody's leaving the house and i should be nice enough to apologise and keep helping. AITA?

quote:

My parents are the owners of the house they just don't live in the state anymore and we're just renting it with my husband.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for kicking my BIL and his pregnant wife out of mine and my husband's house?

Kick out your trash husband too, Jesus.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Uncle ShortyB posted:

AITA for yelling at my mom about replacing me with her new kid?

Fuckin love the fact that this 27 year old is upset his mother moved on with her life despite also hating that she was... being his parent and wanted him to do school stuff as a teenager.

Maybe this guy's mom really was an overbearing monster when he was growing up, but he's sure not doing a good job selling that. His examples are that she pestered him to do his homework and made school lunches that he didn't like eating. Uh. Yeah. My mom did those things to and we get along fine.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Blastedhellscape posted:

Maybe this guy's mom really was an overbearing monster when he was growing up, but he's sure not doing a good job selling that. His examples are that she pestered him to do his homework and made school lunches that he didn't like eating. Uh. Yeah. My mom did those things to and we get along fine.

It's probably what that other goon said, that the dad poisoned the OP against his mom.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Batterypowered7 posted:

It's probably what that other goon said, that the dad poisoned the OP against his mom.

the dude's 27 and carrying a lifelong blood vendetta because mommy packed him too fancy a lunch and made one for his friend too, he's plenty poisonous all on his own

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Soylent Pudding posted:

Op posted the comments posted:

My parents are the owners of the house they just don't live in the state anymore and we're just renting it with my husband.

Kick out your husband and his kin and change all the locks.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA "sassed" my MIL

quote:

My husband and I (27F, 30M) just had our first baby, yay! The pregnancy and delivery were incredibly hard on me, I ended up being induced early, and then had a nightmarish labour and delivery that ended in an emergency C section.

Right from the get-go I was getting pestered by my MIL about breastfeeding, I was astounded since I considered it to be a private topic. I kept answers vague as possible but it was clear that I was having a difficult time. She didn't know all the details but she knew that I had a horrible experience and was having a rough time recovering. I also just wasn't producing enough milk and had to supplement with formula.

She was constantly telling me, multiple times per day, about her breastfeeding experience. I heard countless times about how her nipples bled, but she pushed through it and fed her babies because her breast milk was so rich and delicious (???) and how her babies were all late and fat. This was especially hard for me to listen to, considering my baby needed to come early and she was pretty small in those early stages. My OBGYN ended up telling me to stop breastfeeding since it was inhibiting my recovery. Something to do with the hormones that come from nursing, I don't fully understand it but I did heal much faster after I quit.

I was terrified to tell MIL, and with good reason. Her nagging seemed to only get worse after I told her, she just couldn't understand how any mother could choose to deprive their child! From there, she started finding small things to harp on constantly. I rarely, if ever, heard a positive word from her regarding my maternity.

Finally one day I'd had enough, I was on the phone with a friend and I knew that MIL was on her way to come see the baby. I knew that she was most likely outside when I loudly said to my friend "I don't know why this is still a topic of conversation, the breastfeeding is long gone and I wasn't able to do it and that's it! I'm happy MIL's babies flew out of her vagina like it was a slip n slide and then breastfed exclusively with her super-rich boob juice but I cannot do it and I'm so tired of that being unacceptable. I'm doing everything I can and I can't listen to it anymore" MIL came in a minute later, looking a little upset.

I then got a call from my FIL after her visit about how I shouldn't have "sassed" MIL so badly and how I could have spoken to her in a reasonable manner. The issue with that, is that speaking to her reasonably never worked! I feel bad now that I've upset her, AITA?

Edit to add: my husband did try talking with her a few times before I did this

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

quote:

It took me a few moments but this is actually the best bit because the house isn't a marital asset.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

I informed my mom a good way to punish me (for something I absolutely deserved most likely) was to take the CAT5 cable and hide it, so I could use the computer for schoolwork and non internet things, but I’m still punished. She went for it, thought it was rational.

Meanwhile, in the basement, there were dozens of other CAT5 cables and I was a latchkey kid who ran circles around her, technology wise.

I love my mom dearly but even I’m like, why would you take advice from your adversary?

Furthermore, when I hit puberty my voice was and still is a dead ringer for my mom’s. Many teachers informed “my mom” of my absences via landline, as cellphones were kind of ubiquitous, but not seen as the go to. Shame that the answering machine was so trigger happy when it came to saving messages.

I still have progress reports hidden in the catacombs of my mom’s basement!

E: for the record mom witch is and was a really great mom to me. Not perfect, no, but in hindsight, I was incredibly lucky to have her.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

They're mandatory now

Critical Taco Theory

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I know the title just changed but r/relationships: It wasn't about the pretzels and mozarella sticks. It was about her CONSTANT NAGGING

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Soylent Pudding posted:

quote:

NTA. Wtf does BIL do all day. Why can make his wife a hecking breakfast. Why doesn't your husband cook for his SIL? Does he have the same commute time as you? I'm so sorry OP you're living with 3 gaping assholes. I'd quit helping any if them all together and probably consider quitting that marriage too. Your husband sounds worthless is this scenario.

quote:

He works from home remotely for a management company.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Kick the husband out too

Alchenar posted:

It took me a few moments but this is actually the best bit because the house isn't a marital asset.

Oh, yes, that's excellent.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Something I've never seen in r/AITA: The mods actually posted a note at the head of the comments on the "my mom is bad because no fluffernutter" post saying OP had heavily edited the post.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I know the title just changed but r/relationships: It wasn't about the pretzels and mozarella sticks. It was about her CONSTANT NAGGING

agreed

quote:

Not a throwaway, screw it I've done worse. I was at Starbucks pounding iced coffees down because it's midterms at the moment and I am a studious guy. Need to pee, go to the toilet and sit down. I live in Singapore so the toilets are nice and clean (good cheap slave labor) I'm looking down and notice I haven't shaved in a while, midterms remember. So I think it's a good idea to take out my lighter and start trimming. Everything is going smoothly until suddenly I here a small soft voice saying something to me in mandarin. I can't understand I ask him, in English what he said, no answer. Go back to pooping and lighting my pubes on fire. Suddenly the door swings open, tall security guard stares at me lighter in hand I let out a violent shriek the lighter slips the hot metal touches my sack prompting me to stand up little pee drips on him. He yells at me and accuses me of attempted arson, I nope out of there as fast as possible running back into Starbucks grabbing my stuff and leaving as fast as possible.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA "sassed" my MIL

God drat too bad the thread title got changed because r/relationships: Slip n' slide vaginas and super rich boob juice is a killer one

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

If ten thousand people shouting "NTA, by the way you need to get a divorce" gets this woman to realize she's being abused and actually do something about it... well, I don't like reddit but that would be a good thing.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I didn’t change the title so I’m kinda game? Idk I’m painting rn

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Hellblazer187 posted:

If ten thousand people shouting "NTA, by the way you need to get a divorce" gets this woman to realize she's being abused and actually do something about it... well, I don't like reddit but that would be a good thing.

Some of these AITA threads seem oddly level headed for, you know...reddit?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

kntfkr posted:

Do you see any success with parents blocking social media? My religion is wanting Mark Zuckerberg to be violently killed but I don't want my kids (0 & 3) to be alienated from their peers. I know I can't block anything because the 3 year old can already remember unlock codes for different devices to sate his youtube addiction, I just want them to grow up being too cool to have or need Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or Snapchat.

If you want to block something from the internet in your house, do it on the router or a dedicated appliance. Trying to manage that on the endpoints is just going to fail like you're already seeing.

But in general have to agree with what others said. It's more important to be aware of your kids' browsing habits (and let's be honest, small children have no expectation of privacy) and contextualize it. Better to have a kid that understands why putting everything on social media is a poor choice than one who has it blocked and doesn't know better.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

sean10mm posted:

Some of these AITA threads seem oddly level headed for, you know...reddit?

Whenever I check comments they seem to line up with this thread. When there's a hot topic like anime or bitcoin sometimes it gets brigaded by weirdos with really hot takes.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

cumshitter posted:

He works from home remotely for a management company

I'm sure this sentence is missing a word, but I'm laughing at the idea of a company that provides managers on contract to other businesses.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

My parents loved to take the wireless adapter (back when they plugged into the back of the tower via USB). Not necessarily because it was deserved, but my dad had anger issues and would get pissed off at xyz, end up pissed at me, then punished me. I just bought my own and kept it hidden when I wasn't using it. :shrug:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

we killed our lawn and let the woods grow in on the quarter-acre we do have, the city lawn police rolled up last month and fined us for having weeds. now we're trying to figure out a raspberry bush and poison ivy hedgerow to slow down the inevitable SWAT team

Look at the city ordinances and see if they have an option for a "natural" lawn.

My city does, but you have to actually let it grow wild (no cutting/hedging/etc at all) though.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Uncle ShortyB posted:

AITA for yelling at my mom about replacing me with her new kid?

Fuckin love the fact that this 27 year old is upset his mother moved on with her life despite also hating that she was... being his parent and wanted him to do school stuff as a teenager.

If I’m reading it correctly he also moved and changed his number so she wouldn’t have had a way to contact him anyway, AND he made it clear that he didn’t give a poo poo about her and her life. OP is the rear end in a top hat and so is his cheating dad, mom is the only okay person in this story.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA I briefly moved back home to help my mom after my dad passed away, even though My wife wasn’t on fully on board with it.

In comments:

quote:

I make approximately a quarter of what I was previously making. Maybe less now that I think about it.
(different comment)
All the other brothers have families to take care of.

We have a 7 year old daughter

Amazing. Making a QUARTER, maybe less :dogstare:, and believing your finances are fine after leaving your wife and child. He has to take care of his mom since everyone else has families to take care of he says to his wife and child which are somehow not his family? loving beautiful. I think the best buried lede though is

quote:

As for work - Im an electrician, and I asked if I could maybe take leave for 8 or so months.

loving lol that he thought that was in any way reasonable. I'm assuming he saw it like maternity leave and expected to be paid all those months. Its a mystery why his job said no...

Either way it sounds like he is with his actual family now and the wife should divorce him since I guarenfuckingtee he will come up with any excuse to stay with his mom even when the younger brother graduates. Probably with some excuse how his brother has a wife now and can't possibly leave his family. What kind of sorry excuse for a man would do that....

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
My [38M] wife [35F] and I have been going through a divorce. She's trying to guilt me into agreeing to withdrawal.

quote:

Grace and I have been married for 14 years. Grace was emotionally distant for about three years before we filed. We weren't having sex, she'd roll her eyes at me every time I opened my mouth and snap at me, everything was a fight, so eventually I just shut up. Whenever I brought up the tension between us she would insist she was fine and that I was annoying her by always asking her.

When we went to therapy she kept saying she was fine, I was insecure, and my need to constantly be reassured was driving her nuts. I mean, when someone constantly raises their voice at you every time you open your mouth how are you supposed to respond?

One day she informed me she wanted a divorce because she couldn't stand living with me anymore. I told her that she needed to talk about these things in therapy and not just put it on me. She told me there was no point, I was just too much. We sat our kids (12F) (10M) down and told them. They both cried and I felt terrible

She moved out and I later found out she moved into an apartment with Harry (48M) who was going through a separation with Joy (44F).

A month later I was served with divorce papers and we've been going through everything in that respect. Because of the low rates, I refinanced the mortgage, paid her out and the house is now in my name only.

I've encouraged her to see the kids and we agreed in court to not disparage the other parent to the kids. She's seen them four times in the last year.

That was about a year ago. Two weeks ago, her attorney contacted mine and informed me that she wants to withdraw the divorce petition and for us to ask that the petition be dismissed. I was confused, and I told my attorney that we wouldn't be doing that.

I called Joy up to find out if she knew anything. Joy laughed and told me she'd been waiting for my call. Harry and Joy have a prenuptial agreement and after Harry spoke to an attorney, he realized he was not going to get what he thought he would in a divorce. After realizing he could not buy a home, support Grace, and have the life he'd imagined so he decided to reconcile with Joy and encouraged Grace to do the same.

A few days later, Grace showed up at the door and told me she'd made a huge mistake. I told her she was right about that. She told me she wanted to make our marriage work, be there for our kids, and fix what's wrong between us. I replied that was fixed the moment she moved out and we're doing great. She told me she wanted to come back home, and I replied this wasn't her home. She started crying and begged me to just give her a chance to be better. She had a check in her hands for all the money she had left, made out to me, and told me she wanted to buy back into our house. I told her that she could use it to buy a home, but she wasn't coming back to my house.

I arrived home from work on Monday to find Grace sitting on the couch watching a movie with the kids. My son smiled and said, "Dad! Mom's back!" Grace had gone over after the kids got home, rang the doorbell, and told them that she was coming home.

I smiled and said, "That was so nice of Mom to come visit today. She can't stay though. She has plans with her friend Harry at 8 tonight and she has to leave soon or she'll be late."

Our kids do not know about Harry, so Grace gave me a horrified angry look. I brought her into the kitchen, informed her that she is not welcome here, and told her to get out. She told me she had a right to be their mother, she wanted to make things work, and the kids had a right to know that I was refusing to dismiss the divorce. I told her that in that case the kids had a right to know about Harry and if I had to explain to them why I was the one refusing to stop the divorce, then it would include every detail of what she did.

She flipped out begging me not to ruin her to our children, telling me that if I did she would bring up to the judge that I had violated the no disparagement order. I told her that she had already done that by lying to the kids about her coming back.

She has called up my parents, my sister, mutual friends, anyone that will listen to her to tell them that she is trying to fix our marriage and I'm shutting her out. We're Catholic so I am getting a ton of guilt from my family and hers for abandoning my marriage. Even when I shared the details, my mother replied, "Your wife is right there. She knows she made a mistake and wants to make it right. That's what you have to do, love and forgive her. Your kids deserve to grow up with two parents."

Honestly, it sounds selfish, but I have been so happy since she left. I recognize what she did to me was abusive and the best thing I can do for myself is never give her that chance ever again. At the same time, I feel guilty because I know that she's not able to survive like this. She doesn't work, her nearest family is four states away, and she's never lived on her own. I also know I'm letting my kids and my family down by not letting her come back. Getting at least some of the money I paid her out back wouldn't suck either.

I want to stay the course, but there's so much telling me that my actions are selfish and punitive rather than the right thing to do. If I do, how do I explain this to our kids without looking like a monster? I called my attorney and he's ready to ask for a restraining order for me and the kids, but I don't know if that's a malicious thing to do. I never thought the hardest part of this would be her trying to be nice to me and fix things. What do I need to do at this point?

Tl;Dr My wife moved out and filed for divorce. After her relationship fell apart, she's now using the kids and my extended family to guilt me into letting things go back to the way they were. I feel like the bad guy.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Reddit is more of a platform that hosts a bunch of different communities than a community itself. Some of them are really toxic (and the people who run the site don't do nearly enough to address that), but lots of them are plenty chill.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

spouse posted:

peanut butter and marshmallow sandwich

Is that a real thing? :barf:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

fish and chips and dip posted:

Is that a real thing? :barf:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluffernutter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Propaniac posted:

My [38M] wife [35F] and I have been going through a divorce. She's trying to guilt me into agreeing to withdrawal.

the loving audacity to sneak back into the house using the children, holy gently caress that restraining order should've been initiated that loving night