Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ogre Battle 64 is extremely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

IGN Review posted:

I just couldn't shake the feeling that this was Persona without the heart – without the unforgettable companion characters, the potent personal story, the incredible soundtrack, and the jaw-dropping twists and turns.

persona usually has interesting theming, but the "jaw dropping twists and turns" (ie the textual plot) of 4 and 5 are complete dogshit

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Harrow posted:

I wouldn't say equally bad, no, but it's still pretty dumb and bad, yeah. They try to pressure Ryuji into doing drag performance, basically. Also, the change is only in the localization--the Japanese text is unchanged.

It's unfortunate that they couldn't just cut those scenes entirely. I sorta suspect the localizers would've liked to.

In any case I'm glad localizers are finally being allowed to make or suggest changes. Rune Factory 5 implementing gay marriage thanks to xseed is amazing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Harrow posted:

I wouldn't say equally bad, no, but it's still pretty dumb and bad, yeah. They try to pressure Ryuji into doing drag performance, basically. Also, the change is only in the localization--the Japanese text is unchanged.

It's unfortunate that they couldn't just cut those scenes entirely. I sorta suspect the localizers would've liked to.

this is getting into weird territory but i fundamentally dont think it's the job of the localizer to fix the game's writing being bad, and while it was nobody's intent it kind of just plays into the "well japan is just weird about gay people" thing when it's specifically an issue with one specific dude

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

persona usually has interesting theming, but the "jaw dropping twists and turns" (ie the textual plot) of 4 and 5 are complete dogshit

is it even meant to be twists in 5 lmao i truly do not believe any of it is supposed to be a surprise to the player

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i liked the extra semester in 5R

P5 is less about "bad twists" and more that the whole game is excessively uneven where the first chapter is some of the best stuff in the game but a lot of the rest is just weirdly paced and messy and

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

this is getting into weird territory but i fundamentally dont think it's the job of the localizer to fix the game's writing being bad, and while it was nobody's intent it kind of just plays into the "well japan is just weird about gay people" thing when it's specifically an issue with one specific dude

Oh definitely. I don't mean to imply that the localizers were under an obligation to do what they did, or to do more, or that the even worse original text is somehow more acceptable to a Japanese audience when it really does just seem to be Hashino's weird fuckin thing. I do understand why the localizers made the changes they did, though, and the "I wish they had cut the scenes entirely" was about P5R as a whole and not specifically the localization.

Stux posted:

is it even meant to be twists in 5 lmao i truly do not believe any of it is supposed to be a surprise to the player

The part that felt like it was supposed to be a twist was less that Akechi was the traitor--that much is dead obvious--but that the Phantom Thieves had been setting him up this whole time. Then again, anyone familiar with heist movies probably saw some variation of that coming, too.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i liked the extra semester in 5R

The third semester in Royal is awesome and part of why I'm so looking forward to seeing what Persona 6 might be under new direction.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Maybe Atlus should've spent a few more bucks on the localization of P5

it's so bland

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Monkey Fracas posted:

it's so bland

i believe a lot of this was the result of the game development being a loving mess and having a shitload of rewrites even relatively close to release, the extra semester in 5R and especially the Strikers spinoff (on the Nintendo Switch entertainment system) are far better

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Excited to hang out with my bro Jack Frost next week for thirty minutes before I fuse him into some sort of Megami

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
smtv WILL be goty

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

Monkey Fracas posted:

it's so bland

it's quite bad, and something I'm surprised doesn't get talked about more

does P5R do anything about it?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

it's quite bad, and something I'm surprised doesn't get talked about more

does P5R do anything about it?

It got talked about a lot lol

Also nah the most egregious errors were fixed but the extra semester is notably better than the main game. doing a full rewrite of an insanely long RPG was probably beyond the scope of the budget for Royal

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mister Facetious posted:

I know the dev is within their rights to get more money, but was it ever announced that Isaac: Repentance would be paid DLC? I don't remember reading about it.

yes it was mentioned many times

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 22, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

there are too many good games :(

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Stux posted:

smtv WILL be goty

:hai:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I will never forgive P4 for not letting you date Kanji

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

I said come in! posted:

Ogre Battle 64 is extremely good.

Imagine if they remastered it and added HD textures while getting rid of legions :allears:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

You know what's interesting? The video they put out explaining that metroid prime 4 was not coming along well and they decided to scrap everything and start over...has a lot more likes than dislikes. I'm surprised it wasn't met with a bunch of wailing and gnashing of teeth but it seems like gamers took the news pretty well

Metroid fans above all others know that it's better to wait for a good game than get a bad one today. Learned the bad side of that with Other M (though idk how much of that awfulness was from rush), and just had the good side of it confirmed with Dread.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lastdancer posted:

Heads-up Nintendo fans we got a new Nintendo movie about Nintendo coming to a PS5 or Xbox HBO Max streaming app near you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIcAkLBV-U

I can't take Grandma's Boy, Pixels, or Free Guy, but I'm all in on this one.

Very much seems like A Christmas Story for millennials.

It's me; I'm the prime demographic.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 22, 2021

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's finally SMT season.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

"Edgier, younger brother of P5" is my favorite.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's finally SMT season.

It feels wrong to be taking such glee in this. I am totally sympathetic to finding out a game isn't what you expected (Golden Sun 3: "surely THIS time they'll have a complete game, the Gamestop clerk who sold it to me promised"), but it's a completely different series which has had four other games so folks should have known.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lastdancer posted:

I'm a sucker for Christmas movies AND I unironically like The Wizard a lot so I'm pretty sure I'm right there with ya.

I cringed a bit at first while watching the trailer during the family dinner table scene but I realized this is the same level of cringe that I feel when I'm at the family Christmas party and one of my cousins comes to try and talk to me and the only topic I can hold a conversation on is games, so in that respect it seems the movie is on the right track.

Yeah, I'm also a huge actual fan of the Wizard and A Christmas Story, so it's probably why this appeals to me.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Lastdancer posted:

Heads-up Nintendo fans we got a new Nintendo movie about Nintendo coming to a PS5 or Xbox HBO Max streaming app near you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIcAkLBV-U

i expected to like it, but i do not. i really, really, really do not

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

It feels wrong to be taking such glee in this. I am totally sympathetic to finding out a game isn't what you expected (Golden Sun 3: "surely THIS time they'll have a complete game, the Gamestop clerk who sold it to me promised"), but it's a completely different series which has had four other games so folks should have known.

People have known. Game reviewers aren't people, though

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's finally SMT season.

:lol:

To be fair, I was waffling a bit about buying another game this month, but this is basically a certificate of excellence as far as I'm concerned. I'm slowly raising priority from "probably Christmas?" to "Day-One Buy!" for SMT V

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's finally SMT season.

lmao

The Postman
May 12, 2007

new popeye came out today

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dragon Quest 11S: An interesting shift from Square Enix but where are all my favorite traditional Square Enix staples like Chocobos and Moogles? This is like final fantasy without the cyberpunk

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Dragon Quest 11S: An interesting shift from Square Enix
what

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

He's parodying SMTV reviewers.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

The Postman posted:

I'm glad Bluto could finally come out and confess his undying love to Popeye

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Devorum posted:

I wish I could play Return of The Obra Dinn, but something about the graphics makes me violently motion sick.

I was having the same trouble, but it helped for me to turn down the look sensitivity in the options. I still can't play for more than 30 minutes or so at a stretch before I have to go catch my breath.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Detective No. 27 posted:

He's parodying SMTV reviewers.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Postman posted:

i was really mad when i saw this and it ended up not being the arcade game

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's finally SMT season.

lmao people that review games are the worst.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

are smt nerds just mad that people know what persona is, unlike smt

because persona is by the best possible comparison point for smt5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

It's not.