Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

kiimo posted:

Edric. Step into my office.

This is panda. From Harg Pass. Very good stuff.

And that's bava. Different, but equally good.

And that is choco. From the mountains near Sietch Tabr. Now the first two are the same. $300b a kilo. These are friend prices. But this one, is a little more expensive. This is $500b a kilo. But...when you gas it. You will know where that extra money went. Now there's nothing wrong with these two, this is real, real good poo poo. But this one is a loving madman.

Remember, I just got back from Ix.

Am I an offworlder? Are we in Arakeen?

No.

You're in my sietch. Now Fremen who know the difference between good poo poo and bad poo poo? This is the sietch they come to. Now, my poo poo? I'll take the Pepsi challenge with that Ixian poo poo. Any old day of the fuckin week.

That's a bold statement.

:golfclap:

Now do one about Yueh hiding Leto's ring for a young Paul while in a Harkonnen concentration camp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

galagazombie posted:

So crazy tinfoil hat theory I’ve had awhile.
1: We learn the worms were mysteriously introduced from another world by agents unknown.
2: The Spice is suspiciously convenient in all the things it provides to human biology.
3: A big theme of the books is the “Prescience Trap” where prescience inevitably leads to stagnation and extinction.
4: Spice is highly and lethally addictive so you can’t just stop even if you realize the prescience trap.
Conclusion: the prescience trap is a literal trap. The Worms and Spice are a poison chalice designed by Leto II’s “great enemy” from his visions to lure in and cripple/kill species.

Obviously spice waa introduced into fremen neoghborhoods by the CIA (Choam Intelligence Agency)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Admiralty Flag posted:

:golfclap:

Now do one about Yueh hiding Leto's ring for a young Paul while in a Harkonnen concentration camp

He was captured in a Harkonnen prison camp. Now he knew if the Hooks ever saw the ring it would be confiscated. The way your daddy saw it, the signet ring was your birthright. And he'd be damned if any skinheads were gonna put their greasy fat fingers on his boy's birthright. So he hid it in the only place he could hide somethin. His rear end plug. Five long days he wore this ring up his rear end and when it ended up in his thigh pads he give me the ring.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://theconversation.com/dune-we-simulated-the-desert-planet-of-arrakis-to-see-if-humans-could-survive-there-170181

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Buller posted:

Its not in the movie, but in the books she tries this and the Fremen instantly recognises it and gets really mad about it so she has to keep it in when they continue the fight.

Dune posted:

‘I’ll teach you agony,’ she said. ‘Remember that as you fight. You’ll have agony such as will make the gom jabbar a happy memory by comparison. You will writhe with your entire-‘
‘She tries a spell on me!’ Jamis gasped.
He put his clenched tight fist beside his ear. ‘I invoke the silence on her!’
‘So be it then,’ Stilgar said. He cast a warning glance at Jessica. ‘If you speak again, Sayyadina, we’ll know it is your witchcraft and you’ll be forfeit. He nodded for her to step back.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I think I can square that whole sequence with the Conflict Resolution Module HR has at work.
Clear expectations, well-defined roles and processes, mediation...
Not sure what the Gom Jabbar correlates to, though. Probably filling out the Trip Hazard Register Document Amendment Form.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Ornamented Death posted:

It was fine on a TV, with surround sound.

It was exquisite on IMAX, even if I was rendered deaf due to the bone-shattering volume.

just ate an edible and saw it again in the afternoon imax before it's replaced by this eternals poo poo they're trying so hard to sell, second time in imax and the sound is mindsplittingly good, just incredible, the best audio experience since Fury Road, certainly the loudest. the harvester scene and the entire last half hour are so well paced that it just bowls me over. audience laughed at the michael bay ambulance trailer and the tacky matt damon crypto.com ad

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Advertising for an MCU movie! What garbage

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The Bloop posted:

an MCU movie! What garbage

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Is dune popular enough to performatively hate and look down on yet? I'm not sure where the line is

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Dare to dream :allears:

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

The Bloop posted:

Is dune popular enough to performatively hate and look down on yet? I'm not sure where the line is

Check you out thinking MCU movies deserve hate cause they're popular and not because they are artless, poisonous pap.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

so will frasier be back as dp for pt 2 or will denis get deakins?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

galagazombie posted:

So crazy tinfoil hat theory I’ve had awhile.
1: We learn the worms were mysteriously introduced from another world by agents unknown.
2: The Spice is suspiciously convenient in all the things it provides to human biology.
3: A big theme of the books is the “Prescience Trap” where prescience inevitably leads to stagnation and extinction.
4: Spice is highly and lethally addictive so you can’t just stop even if you realize the prescience trap.
Conclusion: the prescience trap is a literal trap. The Worms and Spice are a poison chalice designed by Leto II’s “great enemy” from his visions to lure in and cripple/kill species.

Point one is definitely a big hanging hook. Could also be that the aliens aren't around any more because they fell into the prescience trap.

It doesn't quite feel from Heretics and Chapterhouse like Herbert was going to expand on that though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Flakey posted:

Check you out thinking MCU movies deserve hate cause they're popular and not because they are artless, poisonous pap.

That's not why goons fall all over each other to post about how they don't even know who iron man is and the one time they ate fast food they were in the hospital for a week with terminal diarrhea

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

so will frasier be back as dp for pt 2 or will denis get deakins?

Hey baby I hear the worms are calling
Tossed daggers and scrambled spice
Mercy

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Bloop posted:

That's not why goons fall all over each other to post about how they don't even know who iron man is and the one time they ate fast food they were in the hospital for a week with terminal diarrhea

Don't forget "I don't own a TV" a classic since the late 80s

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DkxB75CNvA

not even gonna say who's doing it, just that I thought about who has even done something on remotely the same sort of visual scale lately and thought "well, obviously him, but they wouldn't... would they?"

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ehhhhhhh. Not who I would have chosen, ever. I guess I'm willing to give it a chance

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Director does nothing for me other than it seeming to be a sign that this will have some money behind it perhaps

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

kiimo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQrySoKs0KI

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think Waititi is great at understanding exactly what a movie is and isn't and including the right things.

I've never read this comic but I'm interested

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Everyone should read incal it owns

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Bloop posted:

Roll 1d8 and consult the chart below:

1 - Ignores the Islamic roots of its source material
2 - Appropriates the Islamic roots of its source material
3 - Jessica cries too much
4 - Jessica cries too little
5 - Refusal to endorse systems of hierarchy in fantasy narrative
6 - Actually, the Harkonnens were good (bonus sietch water option)
7 - Unrealistic due to portrayal of human survival
8 - Reflexive hatred of mouse

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's been too long since I read incal. I can't remember if I read before the incal/final incal, are they good

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Nessus posted:

Roll 1d8 and consult the chart below:

1 - Ignores the Islamic roots of its source material

This one is true though. I mean I love the movie but still.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
We'll see. The fremen are still cyphers at this point

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's been too long since I read incal. I can't remember if I read before the incal/final incal, are they good

I have heard that Before is good and Final is buttcheeks

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not even sure how I would go about reading it now.

Is it all in production? Is there an omnibus collection? Is it digital anywhere?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I wonder if the Colin Robinson baby is a preborn abomination like Alia

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

The Bloop posted:

I'm not even sure how I would go about reading it now.

Is it all in production? Is there an omnibus collection? Is it digital anywhere?

Amazon has digital editions of The Incal and Before the Incal, but apparently not Final Incal. Only the first seems to be available in paperback. The three hardcovers together are an even 100€.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Never read the books but isnt it mostly a visual thing? The director behind Mandy or something like that seems a better fit.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

I hear that in Colin Robertson's voice and can feel myself falling asleep.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i have to admit. while i still overall prefer the lynch version and i am a sound designer and love the idea of sonic weaponry in a scifi setting

however

"weirding way" as martial arts >>> "weirding way" as ugly little guns that shoot sounds

lynch's instinct to say he didn't want to see "kung fu on sand dunes" was wrong. both in terms of keeping in the spirit of the book and in terms of aesthetics.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Armauk posted:

I hear that in Colin Robertson's voice and can feel myself falling asleep.

Colin Robinson reading you Butlerian Jihad on audiotape

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Earwicker posted:

i have to admit. while i still overall prefer the lynch version and i am a sound designer and love the idea of sonic weaponry in a scifi setting

however

"weirding way" as martial arts >>> "weirding way" as ugly little guns that shoot sounds

lynch's instinct to say he didn't want to see "kung fu on sand dunes" was wrong. both in terms of keeping in the spirit of the book and in terms of aesthetics.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I think Lynch may have just been saving himself some work. Dunc briefly shows weirding way fighting, and even with DV directing and 2021 technology it looks like dance fighting. In 1984 I have no idea how space kung fu could've been portrayed in any way that makes sense visually.

Plus we got this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQeP6GWU0e4

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Never read the books but isnt it mostly a visual thing? The director behind Mandy or something like that seems a better fit.
David Lynch probably would have been the best thematic fit. But you can't blame him if he never touches a high profile sci fi adaptation ever again.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Denis dune does make me appreciate more why lynch didn't want to open that can of worms. There's probably not any director living who could have squared the circle of all the other requirements plus good at directing knife fights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

kiimo posted:

Psh that's nothing, I've never even heard of the 80s. :smug: