Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Both of these can be figured out from contextual clues given by the hidden fourth attract mode sequence that gets added after beating the game once. I distinctly remember how hyped I was to figure them out on my own as a kid from watching and studying the UI during those demo sequences. Same with shinespark directions other than straight up.

I figured out everything except the crystal flash just by playing the game :shrug: Once you figure out the shine spark, which is obvious when you fall down with the bird, the idea of trying to shine spark and pressing a direction is pretty intuitive. You'll also almost certainly do it accidentally a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I haven't read the last 80 pages of this thread because I'm desperately trying to avoid spoilers for myself (Google News spoiled Kraid for me), but I just got to the "scene" that happens mid-game, and just before that the coolest thing that I've seen in a Metroid series in a long time happened:

Before going up to Ferenia for the first time I was backtracking through the earlier regions to get every collectible I could get with speed+grapple and the occasional (but not exhaustive) bomb jumping. Doing so I found the orange teleporter in Cataris which I don't think is particularly gated except requiring grapple, which says the destination was Ghavoran ... and I haven't been to Ghavoran yet--certainly not through the "front door" or whatever. I wasn't sure if I had unintentionally sequence breaked and I actually do want to follow the intended path for plot reasons, but I decided to take a peek.

To my surprise I found myself locked into a tiny area full of morph ball tunnels and the pulse radar--an ability that helps you find all the collectibles! This was clearly an early discovery, but also an intentional one--the designers are rewarding players who seek out collectibles early by giving away early the ability that helps you seek out collectibles. That's very, very smart. Impressed.

Before that I've been having a pretty good time with Dread--the combat is easily the best of the "2D" Metroids--but I wasn't so sure how I felt about the exploration as I was routinely railroaded into new areas without being able to exhaustively search old ones--a frequent problem with Fusion, but something that happens only once in Super. I also got an early power bomb upgrade at the top of the one EMMI room in Artaria, but it's shown up as an unknown item. I guess that limits actual sequence breaks.

Alright, off again I go until beat this.

Just swung back and got this, thank you! Looking at the standard walkthroughs, I would have got it soon anyway (my next stop is Elun), but I like getting goodies early.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Huh. I found a game breaking bug. just got spin jump in Ghavoran and the power beam door right after that won稚 open. No reason why and I知 totally stuck. Any ideas?

I sequence broke to get there and I suspect the game isn稚 happy with me.
Edit: neat, you can shine spark underwater without gravity suit I love this game.

Velius fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 3, 2021

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
The WR has been shattered again, thanks to those new glitches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQBxlurey2s

Edit: and in related news:

Dread is now the most run game on SRC.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 3, 2021

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

This isn't too surprising to me, given the reverence the Speedrun community has for Super Metroid.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

And people initially said this game was too linear and had no sequence breaks. Hindsight is 20/20.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
BEHOLD! The Gravity Suit skip! The wonders of 2D games in 3D Worlds! Is the morph-cylinder real??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-UJRvc0_tU&t=489s

With this and a big involving.... morphing really close to an emmi-zone door to become invincible (the reason the emmi isnt killing him) you can complete the game suitless.

It really sucks you can't do legit heat/cold rooms because the damage is so goddamn high. Weird choice.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I know I'm like 50 pages behind now but I just finished Elun and this game went from being a pretty good modern take on Metroid to possibly being the best in the series. I don't know, we'll have to see how it shakes out.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If it weren't for how lame the EMMIs are it'd be at the top of the list but with them around it's firmly under Super and Prime still. Pretty good otherwise though!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
To be fair, I'm pretty sure Sakamoto told Mercury Steam they have to include the EMMI stuff and Mercury Steam went around and designed the rest of it to be an amazing game around that particular requirement.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

RBA Starblade posted:

If it weren't for how lame the EMMIs are it'd be at the top of the list but with them around it's firmly under Super and Prime still. Pretty good otherwise though!
I had some kind of sixth sense with the EMMI and could parry them almost every time but it still sucks going through those areas because even after that perfect parry they're coming back at your 3 seconds later if you don't know where the exit is.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1mJIQLtTvc

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I didn't mind the EMMI zones. They have set 'rules' they follow and it's a definite change from Samus being an unstoppable killing machine to needing to GTFO.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

RBA Starblade posted:

Definitely agree with this; the concept behind it is neat, but the execution felt a bit lacking. It was a lot less sneaking and hiding and a lot more panicked running and getting frustrated while you slowly learn what the zone that the EMMI is in is and where exactly the game wants you to go within it and how exactly the game wants you to traverse it. Punctuate that learning with repeated instant deaths that don't feel fair (the stealth repeatedly just got me killed when the EMMI would blunder into me anyway with unerring precision, or would leave and then immediately come back and kill me), and it's not a great experience.

In retrospect, with full knowledge of the zones and how to traverse them, they're a fun challenge to go through quickly, but then they cease to be "stealth" sections at all.

Also the standard "getting older" gripe of the game having a lot more sort of twitchy gameplay (especially for bosses) and a lot of button mashing, neither of which I was particularly thrilled with. Otherwise it was a great game though, and I did enjoy it.

Ending spoiler: I was, however, disappointed with the ending basically just setting Samus back to where she started before the events of the game. I was looking forward to them playing with the idea of where she would go from there.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV2ofHNLQa4

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Dirk the Average posted:

Ending spoiler: I was, however, disappointed with the ending basically just setting Samus back to where she started before the events of the game. I was looking forward to them playing with the idea of where she would go from there.

I dunno, I'm pretty sure the route they'd be going forward with is treating it like a Devil Trigger mode.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I知 just glad that after years of being given poo poo about it, I知 finally correct in (ending) calling the main character Metroid

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I知 just glad that after years of being given poo poo about it, I知 finally correct in (ending) calling the main character Metroid

Lmao

Dirk the Average posted:

Definitely agree with this; the concept behind it is neat, but the execution felt a bit lacking. It was a lot less sneaking and hiding and a lot more panicked running and getting frustrated while you slowly learn what the zone that the EMMI is in is and where exactly the game wants you to go within it and how exactly the game wants you to traverse it. Punctuate that learning with repeated instant deaths that don't feel fair (the stealth repeatedly just got me killed when the EMMI would blunder into me anyway with unerring precision, or would leave and then immediately come back and kill me), and it's not a great experience.

In retrospect, with full knowledge of the zones and how to traverse them, they're a fun challenge to go through quickly, but then they cease to be "stealth" sections at all.

Also the standard "getting older" gripe of the game having a lot more sort of twitchy gameplay (especially for bosses) and a lot of button mashing, neither of which I was particularly thrilled with. Otherwise it was a great game though, and I did enjoy it.

I don't see the problem, the game even gives you video tutorials on how to use your new abilities to avoi-
https://twitter.com/i/status/1449712018743721991

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
The "rules" for the EMMIs aren't communicated as clearly as they could be and I think that's leading to a lot of frustration, leading to the most common strategy being "keep trying until you get lucky with the RNG". In that tweet the EMMI has already spotted the player, in which case the cloak does nothing, but the game doesn't make that obvious. I'm on my 4th playthrough and only now am I really consistently cloaking then spider-grapping away before getting spotted, and I still run into situations where the thing just parks itself in front of the one path you need to go on to proceed so you either have to just backtrack around in some circle to lure it away or brute-force through the retries.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Omnomnomnivore posted:

The "rules" for the EMMIs aren't communicated as clearly as they could be and I think that's leading to a lot of frustration, leading to the most common strategy being "keep trying until you get lucky with the RNG". In that tweet the EMMI has already spotted the player, in which case the cloak does nothing, but the game doesn't make that obvious. I'm on my 4th playthrough and only now am I really consistently cloaking then spider-grapping away before getting spotted, and I still run into situations where the thing just parks itself in front of the one path you need to go on to proceed so you either have to just backtrack around in some circle to lure it away or brute-force through the retries.

Adam literally tells you that the cloak is useless if the EMMI has already spotted you, the next time you go to a Nav Room after getting it.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Doesn't Metroid mean "ultimate warrior" in the Chozo language? Because that can also apply to Samus as well, and it's very likely that this is what Raven Beak says when he says that Samus is fully a Metroid.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

teh_Broseph posted:

I don't see the problem, the game even gives you video tutorials on how to use your new abilities to avoi-
https://twitter.com/i/status/1449712018743721991

the fact that the emmis have a degree of object permanence seems to be throwing some people off

Dirk the Average posted:

Definitely agree with this; the concept behind it is neat, but the execution felt a bit lacking. It was a lot less sneaking and hiding and a lot more panicked running

that's why it's fun :psyduck:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Adam literally tells you that the cloak is useless if the EMMI has already spotted you, the next time you go to a Nav Room after getting it.
yeah i personally never felt like the rules were unexplained or explained badly - the location pings are explained, the fact that if you're spotted they know your exact location is explained

clearly it wasn't enough though, since so many people are struggling with understanding it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MachuPikacchu posted:

Doesn't Metroid mean "ultimate warrior" in the Chozo language? Because that can also apply to Samus as well, and it's very likely that this is what Raven Beak says when he says that Samus is fully a Metroid.

X and Metroids out of Zebes

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I 100% forgot what Adam explained and then on subsequent runs was going for time so I mashed A through his dialogue.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The gameplay of the emmi's is just to find the circle path in their room, bait them one way, then go the other. It's not really engaging at all. Sometimes they spawn in a way where you can just rush through, but ok? I've been rushing through all the previous rooms already, how is the Emmi zone different except sometimes you have to traverse the room again in exactly the same way, but this time you got lucky and were able to go through it.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

EMMIs follow a search pattern and start at the same spot depending on which door you enter.

If it hears you it goes to the last spot you were heard. If it has LOS it goes fullt-tilt to get you. If you break LOS then it goes to the last place it saw you.

If it hears you the screen even lights up yellow and has a sonar-like effect appear on you.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

People seem shocked that the game that put a lot of work into making Samus' movement control fluidly and feel satisfying to traverse the environment put in enemies that force you to rapidly traverse the level in a lethal game of tag and use those skills rather than slowly skulk around hiding from vision cones like it's Metal Gear Solid

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

People seem shocked that the game that put a lot of work into making Samus' movement control fluidly and feel satisfying to traverse the environment put in enemies that force you to rapidly traverse the level in a lethal game of tag and use those skills rather than slowly skulk around hiding from vision cones like it's Metal Gear Solid
I think this is a result of stealth games overwhelmingly treating being spotted as a failure instead of a core part of mechanics

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
it's a dread game not a stealth game :colbert:

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
yeah I hate stealth games and actively avoid them so just ran circles around the EMMIs and it wasn't really a huge deal. The segments were always fairly short and added some nice tension and change of pace from just plowing through poo poo.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
My understanding was that the EMMI sections were meant to recreate the feeling of getting chased by SR-X in Fusion. I feel like adding an explicit stealth power might've been a bad move though, since it gives people the wrong idea.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I'm just poking my head into the thread because I was linked the Dunkey video review and wanted to listen to some reactions to the criticisms from people who have played the game much more than I have.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

forest spirit posted:

I'm just poking my head into the thread because I was linked the Dunkey video review and wanted to listen to some reactions to the criticisms from people who have played the game much more than I have.

Dunkey is very funny

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Clarste posted:

My understanding was that the EMMI sections were meant to recreate the feeling of getting chased by SR-X in Fusion. I feel like adding an explicit stealth power might've been a bad move though, since it gives people the wrong idea.

Also it really, really sucks.

Like the next power you get is much much better than the shorty cloak

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

forest spirit posted:

You mean the very clearly joke "review" that is not even internally consistent? Yeah it was pretty funny and effective.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Running from the EMMI was one of the most fun parts of the game, even though the stakes are relatively low (since you just restart at the last door if you die) it still made my heart race, plus the intense music and the lights flashing. Good poo poo. Trying to outsmart the AI was cool and good and wasn稚 usually easy. I definitely had times where I tried to set up a spot to hit an EMMI with only to have it sneak up right behind me or come a totally different way. Waiting for an EMMI to emerge from a door only to have it pop up right in front of you owns.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Augus posted:

the fact that the emmis have a degree of object permanence seems to be throwing some people off

that's why it's fun :psyduck:

It's fun until you die because you zigged instead of zagged because, whoops, that way that you tried to run has an obstacle you can't get over or through. Rinse and repeat that 2-3 times per EMMI and it starts to get really old.

In retrospect, with full knowledge of the map and where to go, it is fun to run past them and to engage in that high stakes chase.

And yeah, they really probably should have just left the cloak out of the game entirely. A decoy that draws the attention of the EMMI away from you and towards it would have been a much better fit for the style of crazy chase that they went with.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

forest spirit posted:

i agree with evrey thing he said, othe rm was the only good metroid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-UJRvc0_tU