Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I LOVE YOU ALEXANDER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That was an incredible presentation and the game looks absolutely fantastic, but for some reason the thing I keep fixating on is that bloodborne quicksteps are finally back!!

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Am I missing somewhere that has a PC collectors edition or are those not being made?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My Gimmick Name posted:

Am I missing somewhere that has a PC collectors edition or are those not being made?

doesn't look like it and it's bullshit.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again:

From are at their best when they’re creating tightly designed dungeon-like environments that aren’t quite linear but have limited routes for exploring them. Their absolute worst content is, without fail, the more open zones like the DS3 swamp or the DS1 forest.

So trying to do an open world thing seems like a pretty big mismatch for their strengths as developers and I’m not optimistic.

Also crafting is poo poo.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

a foul tarnished
playing as a lord
O_O
no thnx

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Concurred posted:

a foul tarnished
playing as a lord
O_O
no thnx

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Captain Oblivious posted:

From are at their best when they’re creating tightly designed dungeon-like environments that aren’t quite linear but have limited routes for exploring them. Their absolute worst content is, without fail, the more open zones like the DS3 swamp or the DS1 forest.

So trying to do an open world thing seems like a pretty big mismatch for their strengths as developers and I’m not optimistic.

I agree, I hope I’m wrong and this is a smash hit to the genre, but it looked too open world in nature. It took me quite some time to appreciate the souls formula and their tight design. I hope this isn’t a back step. I’m really not interested in Far Cry: Drangliec. Still excited to see how it plays out.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Breath of the Souls got me hype af
https://twitter.com/Anontloudeac/status/1456270769219006473?t=1hum1Sx43b2J8v2TfjXKvQ&s=19

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Can’t wait to play this game as From intended: on the go with a Steam Deck

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Their absolute worst content is, without fail, the more open zones like the DS3 swamp or the DS1 forest.

Swamps are a series tradition of making something everyone hates, but this is the first I've heard that the DS1 forest interconnected design is bad. DS1 had an overall production problem of open areas with some junk filler between A and B, but it was the most exploration-driven game and I'll always love it for that.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I like how it's awful and lovely

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The DS1 forest is kinda lovely - thinking of that one big flat area with nothing but near identical trees and demonic foliage coming at you from seemingly nowhere.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
that video was fully loving sick and this game is going to own so hard

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Y’all talking poo poo about the forest with the kick rear end mushroom dudes that punch the hell out of you?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I dunno, all things considered, areas like Valley of the Drakes and Darkroot Garden in DS1 only had the appearance of openness but were still pretty tight in terms of paths allowed. The swamp in DS3 sucked, but honestly, that was more or less an exception to the rule, and a lot of the exploration they showed in the video looked like it was building on some of the traversal stuff they experimented with in Sekiro.

There is an inherent risk, in making a big open-world, that they'll dilute what made their games special so far, but I'm willing to take that risk, especially since the content they showed so far looked pretty drat good.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

The summons look cool. I hope they're actually useful in boss fights and don't get one-shotted after a few seconds.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
No swamp level. Refund.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Frankston posted:

The summons look cool. I hope they're actually useful in boss fights and don't get one-shotted after a few seconds.

There were a couple summons used in the gameplay preview, one was a small mob used on another mob and the other a medium-sized lookin guy used on a boss. Hard to tell due to the editing but it looks like he was able to tank at least a few hits before dying. I'd bet the mob would've been immediately chewed up. Hopefully there's a variety of summons and you have to figure out how to best use them like any weapon or spell.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

put my money down on this bitch

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don’t think you are wrong (if not somewhat hyperbolic) but everything shown looks really cool and I feel like they have put out enough good games that I can give them the benefit of the doubt that they didn’t make a 50 hour long swamp level

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug
In hindsight I should have known there was nowhere to go but down after a run like BB/DS3/Sekiro.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
im the arm guy from the op

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
DS1 Forest and DS3 Swamp were terrible but they were also amazing due to being the pvp hotspots. It was great having all that room to run around in woth 4 other players.

Elden ring co-op/pvp is gonna own

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
What is the deal with gif sizes?

Are data still considered scarce?

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
That jump cast

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The part of Darkroot with the mushrooms owns, the part with the forest bros fight club owns, it's just that big awful space off to the side of the fight club that sucks.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

That jump cast

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I hope they showed to listen to tips from NPCs so they lie to you later and send you down the bad route.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

CANNOT wait to summon axe skeleton ghosts all day every day.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
That dex spellsword guy owns so hard. I want to be that guy tbh.

Please don't tell my friends I put points into dex.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
People don't like Darkroot Garden? :wtc:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

people don't want this dogshit 'open' map design, they want carefully hand-crafted experiences such as harvest valley that only fromsoft can provide

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Volte posted:

People don't like Darkroot Garden? :wtc:

Not a fan myself, but it seems stupid to compare to a game built around actual open world design princibles and also dense, intricate classic From levels

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Since it's been previewed so much I guess Stormveil castle is probably the network test area?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

can't wait to play volleyballmancer build

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
It looks like it might be possible to customize the horse (or whatever it's called. Yakul I think?) In the early parts of the trailer it looks like we've see it before but later in the trailer it has much bigger horns? Perhaps it's wearing a helmet? Tell me I wasnt the only one that noticed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
My dream gave has always been something like "Ultima Underworld but Dark Souls" so having a huge map to gently caress around in is Good.