Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Walla posted:

That's not true. The last 2 mainline games were on the 3DS, as well as a number of spin offs. Plenty of Nintendo players are familiar with SMT.

Yeah, I mean that's how I stumbled into the series. I saw one day the DS-version of Strange Journey and was like "SMT? Like that SNES-game?" I just had to know what that game was about, and liked it so much I later re-bought the remaster for my 3DS.

Hell, if it came out again for Switch, I would buy it a third time, just so my character, secret agent John Geary, could travel to Antarctica to unravel demonic mysteries again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
its always fun when persona gamers finally play SMT lol

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I feel like it's a reasonable assumption that, for an English language review, readers interested in SMT are likely to already be familiar with Persona? For English speakers, SMT is less well known, and it's likely that if someone has heard of it, it would be in the context of something else that Atlus made, or "hey did you know that Persona was called SMT: Persona and was actually a spinoff of the original SMT games" or something.
I'd actually pretty strongly expect an English language review to mention the differences. Not as "oh it's not like Persona so it's bad," but if someone is interested in SMT because Persona was literally originally called SMT: Persona they might want a heads up about the differences.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I feel like the problem is that SMT isn't very much like Persona at all. Starting with P3, Persona became more "high school life simulator where you make friends and date the cute girls" with a little bit of fighting monsters in dungeons, whereas SMT was never really like that (though I think the first two games did take place at a high school but there wasn't a life sim aspect to it). Starting with Nocturne, SMT has pretty much been "survival in a world of demons after the apocalypse."

To use another example that's been discussed in the thread before, if game reviewers said "Metroid Dread is really dumb and boring, I miss the swordplay from Hollow Knight, and why doesn't Dread have multiple endings and secret bosses?" Yeah, Metroid Dread and Hollow Knight are both metroidvania games but both of them are going for different things and it's not useful to say "Dread is disappointing because it isn't like Hollow Knight.'

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
one of the worst reviews i ever read was a rockpapershotgun review which was more or less complaining the entire time that the game wasn't Ori and the Blind Forest instead

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I feel like the problem is that SMT isn't very much like Persona at all. Starting with P3, Persona became more "high school life simulator where you make friends and date the cute girls" with a little bit of fighting monsters in dungeons, whereas SMT was never really like that (though I think the first two games did take place at a high school but there wasn't a life sim aspect to it). Starting with Nocturne, SMT has pretty much been "survival in a world of demons after the apocalypse."

To use another example that's been discussed in the thread before, if game reviewers said "Metroid Dread is really dumb and boring, I miss the swordplay from Hollow Knight, and why doesn't Dread have multiple endings and secret bosses?" Yeah, Metroid Dread and Hollow Knight are both metroidvania games but both of them are going for different things and it's not useful to say "Dread is disappointing because it isn't like Hollow Knight.'

The first SMT takes place shortly before the apocalypse at the start, but part way through America nukes Japan due to the demon infestation. SMT 2 is entirely post-apocalyptic

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Andrast posted:

are smt nerds just mad that people know what persona is, unlike smt

because persona is by the best possible comparison point for smt5

theres a better comparion that even got a release recently on the same console called smt3, hwoever it might be asking a bit much to have reviewers who have played any of the otherh titles before they play a game with a big number 5 at the end.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

the IGN review goes into a couple specific things from persona they would like to see (these two examples are about grinding and plot pace)

I feel the criticisms are fair for the most part, but the "persona without the heart" subhead is going to get people mad

"It takes upwards of 20 hours to find any personal motivation beyond survival and figuring out what's going on, and the companion characters are also very under-developed." is literlaly the design of smt. its What we LIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

one of the worst reviews i ever read was a rockpapershotgun review which was more or less complaining the entire time that the game wasn't Ori and the Blind Forest instead

RPS was good for a while when it was the old UK PCZone/Gamer staff but it absolutely sucks now

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
god drat i love SMT

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Walla posted:

I looked this up and I've looked at it before but I was worried it was going to be some cheap crap game. It's actually good?

I have Steamworld Quest and Heist. They're some of my favorites. I think I really need to get SoR4. I bought the Double Dragon and Kunio Kun collection and my son loves it but it's buggy as hell.

Thanks again!

If we're ever on the same time zone and I happy to be on my switch hit me up at 5181-2261-0743. I'm always up for some Streets of Rage 4. Same goes to the rest of you folks. That or tetris effect. Whenever, wherever.

I hope you guys enjoy it. It is pretty perfect and punching people doesn't get old. If you do like it, consider the DLC, it's only 8 bucks and it adds a ton of features to the game, especially the randomized survival mode if you feel like the story mode is getting stale on you.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Also can attest streets of rage 4 is very good, I used to play with 100years but I got way too busy at work since

Hell yeah. Those were good times.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stux posted:

theres a better comparion that even got a release recently on the same console called smt3, hwoever it might be asking a bit much to have reviewers who have played any of the otherh titles before they play a game with a big number 5 at the end.

It's a bad comparison because barely anyone played Nocturne so people don't know what what the gently caress you are talking about if you talk about it

which is a shame since nocturne owns

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

RPS was good for a while when it was the old UK PCZone/Gamer staff but it absolutely sucks now

it was by one of the original RPS guys i think. they also had a pretty infamous review of Fallout: New Vegas, i dont think it was ever a very good site

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there any chance of still being able to buy the N64 controllers, or are they all gone in this scalper-blasted hellscape?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Andrast posted:

It's a bad comparison because barely anyone played Nocturne so people don't know what what the gently caress you are talking about if you talk about it

Persona is still pretty niche, so for the sake of accessibility I think SMTV reviews should focus on how it’s different from New Super Mario Bros.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Andrast posted:

which is a shame since nocturne owns

its a good comparison because its the third smt game and theyre reviewing the fifth smt game. 4 and apoc would also be good to bring up. doing so might also stop you from making a complaint that something that has never existed in the series you are currently reviewing is "missing"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
how much of the general audience even knows that persona and SMT are part of the same mega franchise

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
New Switch owner here; got my OLED Tuesday. After giving it a couple days to get a feel for it, I'm thinking I need a grip. Any opinions on the Skull & Co. NeoGrip?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there any chance of still being able to buy the N64 controllers, or are they all gone in this scalper-blasted hellscape?

There's going to be more in 2022

Edit: that's according to the nintendo store website

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I think the best comparison to SMT5 would be comparing it to SMT5.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

yeah it was john walker who was a cofounder

quote:

The two games have a great deal in common, but Ori is just better in every element. And sure, that's an awkward critical path ("this game isn't as good as the best example of this genre"), but it starts to become a more imposing issue when the game in question appears to bring nothing new to the table.
_________

But perhaps you're not. Perhaps you just want to plough through another metroidvania (if only we had a better name than that), and then this is a fine game for you. It ticks most of the boxes, completely with difficulty spike bosses that make me want to carve my hate for the experience in the sides of mountains, but apparently people love those. It's a pretty, competent, if needlessly frustrated standard of the standard. That might be just what you need.

If you're looking for something like this, then get yourself Ori & The Blind Forest, which is truly tremendous.

:chloe:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I dunno I just think using comparisons so heavily is a lazy shortcut where you’re trying to use the readers knowledge to fill blanks because you don’t want to describe the thing in depth. Good for forum posts but bad for professional reviews

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stux posted:

its a good comparison because its the third smt game and theyre reviewing the fifth smt game. 4 and apoc would also be good to bring up. doing so might also stop you from making a complaint that something that has never existed in the series you are currently reviewing is "missing"

do you think those reviewers are writing thos reviews for people who are already familiar with smt?

all of those people are already buying the game, reviews or no

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
SMT is the Dark Souls of Persona

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

just wait for them to make more, they're not a limited-run thing

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Dusk fans stay winning

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Andrast posted:

do you think those reviewers are writing thos reviews for people who are already familiar with smt?

yeah they should instead be comparing it with another niche series which has a connection to smt that only RPG enthusiasts really know about

also instead of comparing they should be complaining that niche series A isn't more like niche series B instead

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Andrast posted:

you think theyre writing the reviews for people unfamiliar with smt but actually theyre writing the reviews as people unfamiliar with smt and whom lack an ability to produce purposeful critique. in summation shin megami tensei nocturne really makes you FEEL like demi fiend.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah they should instead be comparing it with another niche series which has a connection to smt that only RPG enthusiasts really know about

also instead of comparing they should be complaining that niche series A isn't more like niche series B instead

lmao if you think Atlus isn't trying to get the persona audience into smt too

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stux posted:

you think theyre writing the reviews for people unfamiliar with smt but actually theyre writing the reviews as people unfamiliar with smt and whom lack an ability to produce purposeful critique. in summation shin megami tensei nocturne really makes you FEEL like demi fiend.

there are like five people on the internet who care about "purposeful critique" in reviews instead of "should i buy this"

you need to wait for the 1000 hour Tim rogers video for that, you're such a big fan of him

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
listing from your shallow pool of experiences what games are or arent similiar to other games youve assumed they should be similiar to doesnt help anyone make a decision its just lazy writing that would get you an f in seconadary school.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Andrast posted:

lmao if you think Atlus isn't trying to get the persona audience into smt too

If they were they'd probably try to add some Persona features into SMTV, which from I gather isn't really happening.

Anyway, everything seems cut and dry to me. It's funny that reviewers who only know Persona are annoyed that SMT5 doesn't have Persona stuff because they're probably ignorant that Persona was a spinoff of SMT and SMT is its own thing. I can see why SMT fans find that good as a laugh, but I mean, Persona is also the easiest comparison to make with SMT since they're sibling franchises and more people have probably played a Persona game than a SMT game. Thus I don't understand why it's so terrible to compare Persona with SMT, as long as the reviewer actually knows what the hell they're talking about and thus can explain the differences and different appeals for SMT compared to Persona.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Andrast posted:

there are like five people on the internet who care about "purposeful critique" in reviews instead of "should i buy this"

you need to wait for the 1000 hour Tim rogers video for that, you're such a big fan of him

i think the number of people who want to find out of SMT5 is good is more than the number of people who care whether or not the reviewer likes SMT games or Persona games better

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah it was john walker who was a cofounder

:chloe:

was this about dread or hollow knight? i mean lol either way

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

b_d posted:

was this about dread or hollow knight? i mean lol either way

it was hollow knight. he also spent like half the review of Guacamelee complaining that boss fights in video games should be skippable

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Comparisons to Persona are also weird as gently caress because persona has so many elements of dating sims in it. It would be good to compare to from a combat/monster fusion perspective but not much else because that's where design similarities end.

It would be like comparing the Binding of Isaac to Boyfriend Dungeon and complaining about the game missing something it was never intended to have.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
literally comparing it to Pokemon would probably be more helpful to like everyone concerned

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

lol at people pretending smt and persona aren't very similar

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Mega64 posted:

If they were they'd probably try to add some Persona features into SMTV, which from I gather isn't really happening.

Anyway, everything seems cut and dry to me. It's funny that reviewers who only know Persona are annoyed that SMT5 doesn't have Persona stuff because they're probably ignorant that Persona was a spinoff of SMT and SMT is its own thing. I can see why SMT fans find that good as a laugh, but I mean, Persona is also the easiest comparison to make with SMT since they're sibling franchises and more people have probably played a Persona game than a SMT game. Thus I don't understand why it's so terrible to compare Persona with SMT, as long as the reviewer actually knows what the hell they're talking about and thus can explain the differences and different appeals for SMT compared to Persona.

this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Andrast posted:

lol at people pretending smt and persona aren't very similar

theyre not, which is why people who start with persona so often bounce off of literally any other part of the smt franchise.