Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Propaniac posted:

My [38M] wife [35F] and I have been going through a divorce. She's trying to guilt me into agreeing to withdrawal.

"I made a mistake in firing you 13 months ago. Why are you abandoning this job?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

if you have a lawn, just take care of it and don't pretend you're being a lazy poo poo out of some principle lol. you're not fooling anybody

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

sean10mm posted:

Some of these AITA threads seem oddly level headed for, you know...reddit?

Reddit has millions of users from all walks of life united solely by their love of unfunny meme faces

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Propaniac posted:

My [38M] wife [35F] and I have been going through a divorce. She's trying to guilt me into agreeing to withdrawal.

This dude is so blameless I'd say this was definitely MRA bait if not for the lack of vitriol.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

we killed our lawn and let the woods grow in on the quarter-acre we do have, the city lawn police rolled up last month and fined us for having weeds. now we're trying to figure out a raspberry bush and poison ivy hedgerow to slow down the inevitable SWAT team

yeah parents going into an over-the-top freakout about something mostly harmless just indicates that whatever it is is worth the trouble, just show your kid how loving corny 99% of Facebook is and they won't bother like everyone else under 60

Try blackberry bushes

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

sullat posted:

Try blackberry bushes

raspberries plant themselves here if you turn your back for a week so it's more a matter of strategically relocating the ones we're going to get regardless, vs. killing them all and buying slightly worse-tasting berries to plant in their place

the poison ivy, now, we have to cultivate

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 4, 2021

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
AITA Am I the rear end in a top hat for not letting my aunt's bratty child in my arts room

quote:

Let me start by saying that my aunt's son is the WORST, he is a self-centered brat who is extremely rude and has no manners. Well this Monday we did a family gathering at my parents house where I have my arts studio. I have made it clear that I don't want ANYBODY but ME enter that room, now my parents understand me because I have some really precious art pieces to me, delicate stuff and painting that took me days or even years in short that's a place where I can escape reality. Anyway back to the story, I was locking my room when the devil himself appeared, yup my aunt's son. He looked at the door and with the most rude voice that he has said " Open the door right now, I want to see what's inside or else I will make my dad break the door " I looked at him and said "Yeah tough luck buddy, you ain't getting in" and I walked away. I went and sat near my parents and started talking with my relatives, not even 5 seconds passed and the brat enters crying. We all got concerned as why he was crying but then he said that I was a bitch for not letting him in my studio, now everybody laughed saying that no one can enter there but me. BEHOLD my aunt jumps in the conversation and starts asking multiple questions like "What's behind that door?" or " What are you hiding from us?" which made me uncomfortable but I didn't say anything nor did I answer her questions. At this point she got mad and started demanding that she and her son enter or her husband would break the door, I laughed and I repeated what I said to the brat" Tough luck but you ain't getting in", she was MAD, she started slut shaming me and saying nasty words about me. I couldn't take it anymore so I yelled out " I WOULD LIKE THAT YOU RESPECT MY PRIVACY, PLUS, WHY WOULD I LET YOU AND YOUR BRAT GET IN A ROOM WHERE EVEN MY PARENTS DON'T ENTER, MABYE IF YOU AND YOUR SON WEREN'T TWO SELF-CENTERED PIECES OF poo poo THEN WE WOULDN'T EVEN BE DISCUSSING THIS, NO IS NO!". Wellllll she started crying and left the house with her son, her husband followed her but didn't forget to throw me a nasty look. I sat down and many of my family members sided with me by saying that I didn't do anything wrong but some sided with her saying that I could've just opened the door. I don't know what to feel part of me thinks that I could've handled the situation better but part of me thinks that they deserved it, so am I the rear end in a top hat for not letting them in?

Edit: let me make some things clear, he is 13 she is 35,I have showed them my paintings countless of times, this has been going for years now, my parents and some relatives cut ties with her. As a user said these threats by them were made since they want to look more powerful also the husband is basically her puppet he does whatever she says

so he's broken down doors of other peoples' homes in the past, right

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Definitely sounds like they can rely on him to do so...

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it's like one of those bdsm relationships they foist on everyone around them but she's constantly roleplaying genghis khan and he's her little siege engine

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Or the poor guy keeps wondering why everyone thinks he's hyper violent, what is my wife saying about me? Is she talking about breaking doors again?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

AITA Am I the rear end in a top hat for not letting my aunt's bratty child in my arts room

This reads like a fever dream of one of those childfree nutjobs.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My spouse is an artist and unless I need to close the window or something I never go in her studio because it’s a deeply personal space where she can relax and let her creativity flow without any interruptions.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

we killed our lawn and let the woods grow in on the quarter-acre we do have, the city lawn police rolled up last month and fined us for having weeds. now we're trying to figure out a raspberry bush and poison ivy hedgerow to slow down the inevitable SWAT team

Plants vs Zombies got weird later in the series

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Thumbtacks posted:

So the husband is a cop, right?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

My spouse is an artist and unless I need to close the window or something I never go in her studio because it’s a deeply personal space where she can relax and let her creativity flow without any interruptions.

Plus it reeks of farts

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Uncle ShortyB posted:

AITA for yelling at my mom about replacing me with her new kid?

:siren: hey fun fact, OP edited this post once it started gaining traction to make himself not look like an absolute tool. A mod posted it calling him out and he’s quickly deleting his comments and backtracking. :siren:

ACTUAL ORIGINAL TEXT

quote:

I know it sounds bad but hear me out.
So I (27M) and my mom (45F) have never had a good relationship. My dad (52M) worked a lot of hours so it was always just me and my mom. All she did was nag me about finishing my homework or eating healthy foods or wearing good clothes or going to bed on time. It was always about that poo poo. She never listened to what I wanted. For example she'd pack these really elaborate lunchboxes and when she found out I was throwing the food away at school or giving it to my friend, she got really upset even though I told her before that I'd rather eat pretzels or mozzarella sticks from the school lunch. To make it worse, she guilt-tripped me by packing my friend his own lunch and dropped it off every morning when she drive me to school.
Long story short, my dad and his coworker clicked things happened and my mom freaked out and they divorced. I was 16 and wanted to live with my dad and my stepmom who was way more chill. She let me pig out and didn't nag me about homework and stuff. My mom tried to get custody but the judge let me decide. My dad and stepmom didn't make me contact her. I changed my number for insurance stuff, moved out of state, and we lost contact.
Recently my grandparents had their anniversary and they somehow invited my mom even though she's the ex because they really liked her. I didn't think she would show up. I was curious.
She came in with her husband, a guy way too young for her, and a 5 year old kid, my "half-brother" My mom had married someone without telling me and had a kid when she was way too old to even think about kids. I was so upset that she hadn't even told me. I yelled at her. I was really hurt that she replaced me with the "perfect, well behaved kid". She was going to pretend I didn't exist so her perfect life could continue. She cried and left with her new family.
My grandparents asked me to leave but my dad and my stepmom had my back. They said it was ridiculous that she hadn't told any of us that she got remarried and had a kid. My grandparents said that they knew and were invited to her wedding. Now my dad is mad at his parents, I'm mad at my mom, and my life has turned to poo poo. So Reddit AITA?

Someone asked why he went no contact with his mom

quote:

I didn't go no contact or whatever with her. I just wasn't interested in the same conversation over and over. how are you what are you doing how was school how are your friends is literally the same poo poo over and over. I was tired of hearing that so I just stopped picking up her calls.

I expect her to at least try to reach out about big stuff like GETTING MARRIED.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Propaniac posted:

Even when I shared the details, my mother replied, "Your wife is right there. She knows she made a mistake and wants to make it right. That's what you have to do, love and forgive her. Your kids deserve to grow up with two parents."
Nice work by the mother to totally ignore the fact that the wife’s “recognized her mistake and wants to make it better” happened *only* after it turned out that her affair partner didn’t have the money for them to live off of.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Thumbtacks posted:

:siren: hey fun fact, OP edited this post once it started gaining traction to make himself not look like an absolute tool. A mod posted it calling him out and he’s quickly deleting his comments and backtracking. :siren:

ACTUAL ORIGINAL TEXT

Jesus Christ, guy never grew out of 'surly rear end in a top hat teenager' phase

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

sean10mm posted:

Some of these AITA threads seem oddly level headed for, you know...reddit?

From completely anecdotal experience, AITA seems to trend older (and more female) than the rest of the website.

It's relationships and relationship_advice that seem to be full of 20 year old dinguses with no perspective.

Propaniac posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyFQVZ2h0V8

Lookit' this Pete-rear end motherfucker.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

ACTUAL ORIGINAL TEXT

Now that's a child with bad vibes, and the mother still tried.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, there's a followup comment where he says that the other couple will probably get divorced eventually, but the wife is willing to reconcile because their kids are younger.

If the relationship is really as bad as he says, I can't imagine reconciling with someone after spending 3 years living as spouses but not being able to have a conversation or share an intimate moment of any kind.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Yeah, it's effectively been dead for more than four years. That marriage doesn't need CPR, it needs a necromancer. And tbh, that poo poo about using the kids to sneak in is psycho....so MRA bait sounds bout right

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for yelling at my boyfriend and his mom?

quote:

I've been dating my boyfriend for one year. I've met his mom (his parents are divorced) and his dad. His dad is an amazing person, he's the most helpful and supportive dad I've met. He's always there for my boyfriend. He's also very supportive towards our relationship and our plans together.

His mom on the other hand is overbearing. She is always on the phone with my boyfriend asking to know every single detail of his life, antagonising any friend or partner he's had in his life, she wants him exclusively to herself. My boyfriend knows this but she's his mom so there's not much he can do. I want to note that we are both 28 years old, we're both adults.

Whenever I visit his mom's house she always makes me do housework and chores. She makes me wash dishes, iron, even do the laundry. At first I didn't mind helping her but then it became very exhausting since I never got to spend time with my boyfriend whenever we went to his mom's house for a visit. My boyfriend says his mom is treating me like poo poo but I should do as she says because he can't stand her whining.

Few days ago while I was visiting she made me do chores again. I told her I am sorry but I can't do that right now since I'm very tired from work. She said that real women don't work and i should quit and devote myself to be a housewife. She also said this word for word "All this time I'm training you to be a good future wife in order for my son to be well fed and cleaned up. But you seem so lazy and messy, you always do housework all over the place because you claim your job exhausts you. Then quit". I looked at my boyfriend dead in the eye and said "are you not gonna say anything?" he said "don't make a scene please just nod your head". I lost it and I said "gently caress this. I'm not a fuckin housewife and I'm tired of you treating me like one. You're overbearing exhausting and creepy and I don't even know if I can blame your son for being so stuck up on you because of the control you have over him." . My boyfriend told me to calm down and I'm overreacting and I yelled at him too and told him off for letting me get treated like that.

I told my friends what happened and they claim I'm disrespectful and ta for yelling at his mom like that and no matter what you don't curse moms of partners or friends out. AITA?

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Soylent Pudding posted:

gently caress the boyfriend and gently caress the mom, definitely NTA

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Soylent Pudding posted:

Large Testicles posted:

gently caress the boyfriend and gently caress the mom, definitely NTA

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wait, do you two think the mother was angling for a threesome?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Soylent Pudding posted:

"ok, he's not my partner any more, and his mom can go gently caress herself"

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The poo poo that these dudes just let people say to their spouses is unbelievable to me. I don't want to veer into internet tough guy territory here, but saying 1% of that poo poo to my spouse would at a minimum make me INSANELY angry.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

sean10mm posted:

The poo poo that these dudes just let people say to their spouses is unbelievable to me. I don't want to veer into internet tough guy territory here, but saying 1% of that poo poo to my spouse would at a minimum make me instantly angry.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Uncle ShortyB posted:

AITA for yelling at my mom about replacing me with her new kid?

Fuckin love the fact that this 27 year old is upset his mother moved on with her life despite also hating that she was... being his parent and wanted him to do school stuff as a teenager.
:therapy: (but :lol: at the original version)

sean10mm posted:

The poo poo that these dudes just let people say to their spouses is unbelievable to me. I don't want to veer into internet tough guy territory here, but saying 1% of that poo poo to my spouse would at a minimum make me INSANELY angry.

Yeah same, it's ridiculous the amount of :decorum: that seems to happen. Oh yeah, my mother just called you a whore, just nod and smile, i'd hate to upset her. wait, why are you leaving??

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

"no matter what you don't curse moms of partners or friends out. AITA?"

The gently caress, why not? They're people, ain't they?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

sean10mm posted:

Yeah it's loving insane. Why is the spouse/partner always the disposable one?

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

PancakeTransmission posted:

:therapy: (but :lol: at the original version)

Yeah same, it's ridiculous the amount of :decorum: that seems to happen. Oh yeah, my mother just called you a whore, just nod and smile, i'd hate to upset her. wait, why are you leaving??

i would really like to know what the relationship between that dude and his mother was like growing up, because before i would blame that on decorum i wanna know if he was raised to placate and coddle his mother, because i've been in many households where upsetting mommy is the worst thing you can do. houses where someone gets hit and immediately you hear "LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO!", and making a woman cry summons men who think they are gonna straighten you out, you must be in the wrong, look at how hard shes crying!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
On the one hand, it's terrible that capitalism continually dissolves all traditional social bonds in favour of the algorithm of profit. On the other hand, being a slave to your parents until they die sounds like it sucks.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Brawnfire posted:

My mom loved to disconnect the router and hide the key to the cabinet it was in

I loved to find it in seconds like the worst-designed game of Riven

My parents would unplug the router and then replug it when my grounding was over. But I knew they'd never remember to plug it back in, so I'd do it myself immediately and they'd just never notice that I had done so. Unmedicated ADHD dad had SOME uses.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Halloween Jack posted:

On the one hand, it's terrible that capitalism continually dissolves all traditional social bonds in favour of the algorithm of profit. On the other hand, being a slave to your parents until they die sounds like it sucks.

Some traditional social bonds deserve to die. Filial piety and the daughter in law as slave to her mother in law are at the top.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Soylent Pudding posted:

The friends are right that it's inappropriate to be that disrespectful to your partner's family. What they are missing is that if your partner lets it get to that point the relationship should already be over and having some words on the way out is just a bonus.

What's baffling is that the OP isn't talking about her ex-boyfriend.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
i'm sorry are we all just going to ignore the post about burning your pubes @ starbucks for a "quick trim"? or have I been shaving the wrong way my whole life?

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
I missed that post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Soylent Pudding posted:

quote:

I told my friends what happened ... no matter what you don't curse moms of partners or friends out

Pretty convenient your friends are telling you that its never ok to curse out friends.

Edit: I'll link to it

I want to watch a day in this guy's life. If its normal for things like getting chased out of starbucks for setting your pubes on fire it should be weird as gently caress.

I also don't care how cliché it is but r/relationships: I go back to pooping and lighting my pubes on fire is a hell of a title.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 4, 2021