Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Pigbuster posted:

OST rankings is the real challenge. Just about every game delivers in that regard - even FF15, a game that's usually ranked on the lower end as a game, is profoundly good in the music area. FF13 is the only clear loser to me because it has the only final boss theme I don't like, but I'm admittedly unfamiliar with its soundtrack as a whole so I wouldn't know if its got any gems.

If we're doing music then Theatrhythm is easily the best Final Fantasy.

And, I mean, it probably is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Boy of Joy posted:

You should revisit the FF13 series soundtracks, IMO top tier FF tunes throughout, but I’m a huge fan of electronic stuff in my orchestral vidya game music and the FF13 series has it in spades. For me, great music can elevate a title far beyond its apparent faults, especially in the case of the original FF13.

I just about lost it when the recent Strangers of Paradise demo quoted some tunes/melodies from FF13. Really excited for the full game as Naoshi Mizuta is in charge and he was responsible for loads of tracks in FF13-2 and LR!

ff13 is my favorite soundtrack, it's incredible. The way the battle music is timed to exactly the point where you're the most powerful if you're autobattling is so good. The PR soundtracks have the same mix of live instruments and synths, great stuff even if it's to a different effect.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I love it when dragons use their bracelets to defeat Dycedarg's elder brother. Really adds to my experience. So much better than 'babbys first theatre performance' or whatever.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like when cloud uses an ability on a dragon and it goes “phwoooosh” but then his friend TG Cid swings his sword and it goes like “pshaaaaaa!” And it destroys their armor then Agrias does a move and is like “ch-ch-ch-KCCHHHH” and the guy is frozen in time and it’s like whaaaaaaaat

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The Woolsey translation for FF6 is definitely flawed and inaccurate (and I'm sure Woolsey would be the first to agree on that!) but drat did he have some banger lines.

I'm glad we have multiple translations of all the early games now so we can choose our favorite parts of certain translations and insert them into the most accurate translations.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The important thing to understand about Final Fantasy games is that they're not really RPGs, they're action games.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

an actual dog posted:

The important thing to understand about Final Fantasy games is that they're not really RPGs, they're action games.

Well yeah, that's why most games have an "active" battle system!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Mega64 posted:

The Woolsey translation for FF6 is definitely flawed and inaccurate (and I'm sure Woolsey would be the first to agree on that!) but drat did he have some banger lines.

I'm glad we have multiple translations of all the early games now so we can choose our favorite parts of certain translations and insert them into the most accurate translations.

i'll stick with my fan translation that inserts ancient memes and swearing, thank you

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
FFTA2 is the best game ever made, so

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

thetoughestbean posted:

FFTA2 is the best game ever made, so

Well it’s a final fantasy so

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Chillgamesh posted:

I'm coming up on Gran Pulse in FF13, which is where I stopped the first time I played it. How are you supposed to interact with the hunts there? I know there's more story sections after it. Are you supposed to do the story up until the final dungeon and then come back to Gran Pulse to do the side quests?
There is basically a breadcrumb trail of cieth stones you should do on your way to Oerba to get experience and unlock teleporting cieth stones. When you first start they are basically the only open cieth stones and they will lead you around the map pretty linearly. What should be considered optional cieth stones don't start unlocking until IIRC you get the Pulse teleporter, at which point you move forward doing the next maps cieth stones instead of turning back around into pulse and getting wrecked by end game cieth stones.

You can then teleport back from Oerba to Pulse to do the optional cieth stones for fun, gear, and exp. I don't think the end game cieth stones unlock until you beat the end boss.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Also everybody hates the fal'cie boss themes because they aren't catchy and you know what? That's on purpose, it's alien music for alien beings. It's bad on purpose and I love experimental music like that and the attempt at jazz that plays when you extinct the snuffleupaguses in FF13.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

zedprime posted:

Also everybody hates the fal'cie boss themes because they aren't catchy and you know what? That's on purpose, it's alien music for alien beings. It's bad on purpose and I love experimental music like that and the attempt at jazz that plays when you extinct the snuffleupaguses in FF13.

Wait, what fal'cie boss themes?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
where the H*CK is Final Fantasy Tactics A3 for the Nintendo Switch and Steam platforms

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Fine I'll be the one to say that I don't care for XIII's soundtrack much at all. There's a few neat tracks and I do like that a couple songs try some outside-the-box compositions, but most of it is pretty schmaltzy and sounds like something that would be in the song rotation at your nearest Starbucks. There's also a lot of vaguely martial filler music that is entirely forgettable.

But I'm also not a fan of electronic stuff with very few exceptions, so I'm very definitely biased.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
The only good song on the FFXII soundtrack is the esper fight song, and I’ll be damned if I ever have to listen to Streets of Rabanastre ever again.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Countblanc posted:

where the H*CK is Final Fantasy Tactics A3 for the Nintendo Switch and Steam platforms

It's called Triangle Strategy

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Mega64 posted:

Playing more legitimate translations of ff6 and being bored out of my mind made me realize just how much Woolsey did for that game

I dont know how true it is but I've heard 6 isn't quite as revered in Japan as it is here and I wonder if it has something to do with Woolsey's localization

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

zedprime posted:

There is basically a breadcrumb trail of cieth stones you should do on your way to Oerba to get experience and unlock teleporting cieth stones. When you first start they are basically the only open cieth stones and they will lead you around the map pretty linearly. What should be considered optional cieth stones don't start unlocking until IIRC you get the Pulse teleporter, at which point you move forward doing the next maps cieth stones instead of turning back around into pulse and getting wrecked by end game cieth stones.

You can then teleport back from Oerba to Pulse to do the optional cieth stones for fun, gear, and exp. I don't think the end game cieth stones unlock until you beat the end boss.

Thank you gamer.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Fine I'll be the one to say that I don't care for XIII's soundtrack much at all. There's a few neat tracks and I do like that a couple songs try some outside-the-box compositions, but most of it is pretty schmaltzy and sounds like something that would be in the song rotation at your nearest Starbucks. There's also a lot of vaguely martial filler music that is entirely forgettable.

I hated the soundtrack as much of the rest of the game when I first played it but I guess my tastes have shifted because going through it now I like the atmospheric house music a lot of areas have for their bgm in the earlygame. Dust to Dust was also linked upthread and that track is really, really good, as is Lightning's theme wherever it gets used. I actually like the soundtrack a quite a bit now.

Alxprit posted:

I will get this when it is ported in 2023

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ManSedan posted:

The only good song on the FFXII soundtrack is the esper fight song, and I’ll be damned if I ever have to listen to Streets of Rabanastre ever again.

The soundtrack isn't as "poppy" as other music in the series, so you probably won't get it stuck in your head to hum along to, but XII has a lot of really beautiful or atmospheric music that fits the world traversing/dungeon exploring vibe of the game well.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Countblanc posted:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

The soundtrack isn't as "poppy" as other music in the series, so you probably won't get it stuck in your head to hum along to, but XII has a lot of really beautiful or atmospheric music that fits the world traversing/dungeon exploring vibe of the game well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c79uOLby7H8

I understand that people who actually did the extra Great Crystal content hate the place with a fiery passion, and I don't blame them one bit. But this song is so unbelievably good.

The area music is generally XII's best stuff.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

jokes posted:

FFTA and FFTA2 are excellent games (except for the law system, which FFTA2 fixes).

Name one problem with it (that isn’t character design)

The law system exists

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Final Fantasy needs to release their own console this is getting absurd, how many nintendos and Sonys do I need to patronize to get some of that sweet FF on-the-go

Steam Deck is going to be my dedicated FF machine— I’m gonna get all the final fantasies on it. Final Fantasy 1, Final Fantasy 2, the list goes on

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Giza Plains music rules, Salikawood music rules, Eruyt Village music rules, Phon Coast music rules, the music that plays after the destruction of Mt. Bur Omisace rules, FFXII's soundtrack loving rules.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

jokes posted:

Final Fantasy needs to release their own console this is getting absurd, how many nintendos and Sonys do I need to patronize to get some of that sweet FF on-the-go

Steam Deck is going to be my dedicated FF machine— I’m gonna get all the final fantasies on it. Final Fantasy 1, Final Fantasy 2, the list goes on

Hell yeah brother

Then when I plow through 1-5 I'm going to install 11 on it and ruin my life like I'm 16 again

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Cardboard Fox posted:

Speaking of IX, has anyone played it with the Moguri Mod?
https://sites.google.com/view/moguri-mod/home

Looks like they increased the details, added widescreen support, and increased the resolution using some AI upscaler.

The screenshots look great, but I'm not sure how it is overall from beginning to end.

I played it only a month ago and I absolutely think if you got the PC version it's worth it.

There's a few bugs caused by wide-screen like characters walking to the edge of the screen and just standing there but that's just because the scenes weren't made with wide-screen in mind.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Moguri made my game crash in the ending cut scene and I had to uninstall it to watch the ending but other than that it was just straight up an overwhelmingly superior way to play FF9

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It looks terrible

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Alxprit posted:

that game looks good, but without cute plush numou and moogles and paladins with cool layered cloth armor it is a poor substitute.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It had better have a per-unit AI toggle because I’m not loving manually controlling 12 troops in a fight

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

jokes posted:

It had better have a per-unit AI toggle because I’m not loving manually controlling 12 troops in a fight

yeah haha who would do that anyway back to SRW 30 where I'm struggling to deploy all the units I want to with 13 slots

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

It looks terrible

It looks a lot better then the blurry backgrounds in the standard version. The sharper characters don't look right on the standard versions backgrounds.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Evil Fluffy posted:

Whereas WotL sounded like the local community theater club trying way too hard to ape Shakespeare.

No. It does not

I don't know if you know this but there's been around 400 years of English language change between Shakespeare and now and not every form of archaic English uses in media is trying to ape Shakespeare. War of the Lions is more Victorian Era than Shakespeare.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
nah it goes Shakespeare -> old timey radio guys -> aol chatrooms pretty much

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Chillgamesh posted:

Moguri made my game crash in the ending cut scene and I had to uninstall it to watch the ending but other than that it was just straight up an overwhelmingly superior way to play FF9
Did you try this at the time or was it an older version?

quote:

Still some rare crashes at the end. You can delete this file without consequence and it should work fine: \SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY IX\MoguriFiles\StreamingAssets\ma\mbg116.bytes

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

Not FF, but Xenoblade 1 has my absolute favorite RPG overworld soundtrack. Still listen to it a work.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Are there any OST tracks off the Zodiac Age version that are substantially different from the originals, or is it pretty much entirely just cleaning it up? They didn't actually re-record the whole thing with an orchestra, did they?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Vinny brought this up in his Metroid Dread finale and now I'm curious too. Is Final Fantasy the series with the most numbered sequels? He didn't mean the most games, like there might be 25 Madden games (making up a number) but they're named after the year they were released. But with Final Fantasy 16 on the way, are there any other games that are for example Super Mario Bros. 16, or higher? The only one I can think of that comes close is Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIV, which is still less than Final Fantasy by one even if you're only counting released titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Twelve by Pies posted:

Vinny brought this up in his Metroid Dread finale and now I'm curious too. Is Final Fantasy the series with the most numbered sequels? He didn't mean the most games, like there might be 25 Madden games (making up a number) but they're named after the year they were released. But with Final Fantasy 16 on the way, are there any other games that are for example Super Mario Bros. 16, or higher? The only one I can think of that comes close is Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIV, which is still less than Final Fantasy by one even if you're only counting released titles.