Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

CoolCab posted:

i suspect you can find it a bit cheaper if you look.

yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Lazyhound posted:

I finally came up in the EVGA queue, this is the system I’m looking at building (for gaming, in Canada):

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($374.99 @ Best Buy Canada)
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 5.5 g Thermal Paste (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($214.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($173.99)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB XC3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($209.99)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion+ 860 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($180.00)
Monitor: LG 32QK500-C 32.0" 2560x1440 75 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $1153.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-02 17:43 EDT-0400

Any comments or suggestions? I wouldn’t mind cutting back a bit on CPU/motherboard/RAM since AM4 is EOL.

You could probably save a good chunk on RAM if you went with Crucial or Corsair. G.Skill Trident Z's tend to have a more premium price compared to other brands that have the same speed and timings.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Also make sure you got real Kryonaut. It sounds ridiculous, but amazon and newegg are rife with counterfeits. Real tubes of Kryonaut come with a certificate of authenticity with a code printed on it that you can input on Thermal Grizzly's site to check if it's legit. If it didn't come with that, then you could have fake thermal paste.

The MemoryC seller on Newegg sells the legit stuff. This is where I got mine from.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Nov 3, 2021

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
Ended up with this prebuilt.

https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali581/p/N82E16883360216?item=N82E16883360216

Can I get a cpu cooler recommendation? Ideally an easy installation one, since I am not used to working on computers at all.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Cretin90 posted:

Ended up with this prebuilt.

https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali581/p/N82E16883360216?item=N82E16883360216

Can I get a cpu cooler recommendation? Ideally an easy installation one, since I am not used to working on computers at all.

I bought a similar PC from them and was frankly quite nervous about replacing the cooler with a Hyper 212. While I don't know how it rates on the difficulty scale overall all, I found it easy as someone who's previous hardware experience was plugging in a new graphics card and its cable. If anything, removing the old one gave me a harder time because I didn't look at it closely enough and ended up partly disassembling it when I didn't need to.

I read the instructions, a couple articles and watched a video or two and it went really well. Hopefully you'll have a similar experience with whatever one you get recommended.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Butterfly Valley posted:

I wouldn't go for the 5600G, and I'm not really sure why AM4 being end of life (ish, there's still one more upgrade to come) means you should get worse components now, because those are still what you'll be using for the foreseeable future.

You don't need thermal paste, the cooler included with the CPUs you've chosen comes with some pre-applied. That said you should buy a separate decent cheap cooler, the stock one is loud. The Arctic Freezer 34 is a good cheap match for the 5600X.

The downgraded motherboard is fine, the main thing is it still has a USB C front panel connector for that Meshify 2's front panel.

That PSU is overkill for your parts, you could go for a 650W and save some money and have more than enough power for what's in there.

I wouldn't have bought that SSD, you could have spent your money on an NVMe instead. If it's a carry forward then fine.

Ditto the monitor, it's a bit crap for gaming. Again if it's something you already own then fine but it looks like more of a general office monitor.

The monitor, SSD, and thermal paste are all things I already own. I’ll keep an eye out for good NVMe deals on Black Friday, though. I’m going to give the stock cooler a shot for now since I wear noise-cancelling headphones anyway.

CoolCab posted:

a 5600g is fine but you're paying for functionality you may not use (the iGPU) and it isn't quite as fast as a 5600x because of that. a little better than a 3600 tho.

It was a $20 more expensive than a 3600 so I went for it for the modest performance bump.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Also make sure you got real Kryonaut. It sounds ridiculous, but amazon and newegg are rife with counterfeits. Real tubes of Kryonaut come with a certificate of authenticity with a code printed on it that you can input on Thermal Grizzly's site to check if it's legit. If it didn't come with that, then you could have fake thermal paste.

The MemoryC seller on Newegg sells the legit stuff. This is where I got mine from.

They have a list of authorized distributors in each country on their website.

Probably my final part list, with downgraded PSU and RAM:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $289.99)
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 5.5 g Thermal Paste (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($136.74 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($103.99 @ PC-Canada)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB XC3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card (Purchased For $892.68)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $199.99)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion+ 660 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $99.98)
Monitor: LG 32QK500-C 32.0" 2560x1440 75 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $1723.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-04 02:28 EDT-0400

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
benchmarks are hitting like a hurricane - the 12600k is considerably better than the 5600x, and can be run at nearly the same speeds on a ddr4 platform negating some of the additional cost. that might inform your decision making, we only had confirmation today.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Considerably better in productivity, slightly better in gaming during cpu-bound scenarios (up to 10% or so in some games that lean hard on single-core performance like far cry 6, and much less for games that don't). It's worth being specific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMBLCv54JPw

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 4, 2021

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Considerably better in productivity, slightly better in gaming during cpu-bound scenarios (up to 10% or so in some games that lean hard on single-core performance like far cry 6, and much less for games that don't). It's worth being specific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMBLCv54JPw

I was about to post this exact video! Optimum Tech doesn't miss. I think one of the better benchmarks in this video is the mixed workload performance, while gaming and simultaneously recording it was faster/smoother than a 5950x.

His final conclusion is literally "this is the best choice CPU for gaming you can buy right now". Linus' video is also somewhat of a sleeper 12600K plug because its what really shined there.

Given the lower power draw and clocks I wonder if it would actually be worthwhile overclocking the i5, we know the architecture can happily run +500MHz over what it's boosting to stock.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
Any key takeaways for those of us currently in the market for a new gaming system, or who recently purchased and are still in the return window?

I.e. worth waiting for a 12th gen, will it even be available, will it be worth a price premium with most gaming, will it significantly (or slightly) reduce pricing of 11th/10th gen Intel and AMD 5XX0 series processors, etc?

Well aware this is crystal balling especially since it’s preliminary, but I’m sure there are those of us wondering. :)

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

yeah im ready to pull the trigger on a 5900x build due to my current machine falling apart at the seams, but i can apply some band aids for now if i need to.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Cretin90 posted:

Any key takeaways for those of us currently in the market for a new gaming system, or who recently purchased and are still in the return window?

I.e. worth waiting for a 12th gen, will it even be available, will it be worth a price premium with most gaming, will it significantly (or slightly) reduce pricing of 11th/10th gen Intel and AMD 5XX0 series processors, etc?

Well aware this is crystal balling especially since it’s preliminary, but I’m sure there are those of us wondering. :)

I think some of the hyperbole is reserved for new buyers coming from older systems. No-one should be upgrading from 11th/5000, and it's not "drop everything and grab them" levels of upgrade because CPU performance is still not the most critical factor for gaming right now.

I would definitely wait however if you're building new, and tentatively consider a return/exchange if the outlay is low and you are partway through a build. Versus the 5600x you are seeing a massive increase in multi-threaded performance, upwards of 50%, so if you have a mixed use case and value productivity it's a large step up. Gaming performance is mostly iterative, really a maximum of 20% (outliers), and an average closer to 7-10%. Keep in mind this is only in CPU limited scenarios which, again, isn't always unless you've got a 3080+.

Price drops on existing gear are definitely coming, in Australia a lot of Z590/11th Gen products are on firesale (50% or more off motherboards) as they have no real market anymore. The 5600x will likely see price pressure, while the top end with the 5950x will budge a lot less, AMD still has niches that will prevent total firesale.

Intel has mostly bitten the middle out of the market in terms of sure-buys. The 11400/10400 are still relevant as the only sub $200 option, and the 5950x is still relevant for many workstation workloads, but the 5600/5800/5900x have all been logically supplanted by the 12600/12700/12900K as they all punch one above their tier from AMD (the 12600K contests the 12700K, and so on).

Too Many Birds posted:

yeah im ready to pull the trigger on a 5900x build due to my current machine falling apart at the seams, but i can apply some band aids for now if i need to.

I would price up a 12900K/DDR4 system and see if it's tenable for you, it's really a 5950x competitor at not much more than the 5900x. You can even run it at the lower power target and still have it beat the 5900x, especially in games/ST.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 4, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It all mostly depends on the games you choose to use to test. OptimumTech chose a handful of games only unfortunately (i imagine there's a lot of time crunch involved with testing different memory configurations and also windows 11 throwing a wrench into everyone's testing setups), and they didn't show the 12600K in an amazing light (though it was still good, obviously). The games LTT tested showed it in a much better light. The games TomsHardware tested show it as just a few percent better than the 5600x at 1080p gaming, while TechPowerUp show it as a 7% better. I would expect most benchmarks to be like this. Since these are averages, you may find that the types of games you prefer are generally much better on the 12600k, or you may find there's no difference. The main benefit of the 12600k is, well, everything else outside of gaming, at which it's a big leap forward beyond the 5600X.

So you have to weigh your options carefully. The 5600X is $310 at newegg, and the 12600K is $320 everywhere I'm checking. The cheapest Z690 DDR4 motherboard worth using is probably the MSI Z690 Pro for $220. Do NOT get the ASRock Phantom Gaming 4, no matter how cheap it is, it blows. Meanwhile, the cheapest B550 motherboard worth getting is the $120 MSI B550-A Pro (hey, there's a trend here). So that's about $110 extra to get the 12600K. Whether it's worth it or not is not depends on your use case. Ultimately, waiting is the best choice, which is the drum I've been beating all along. There will be budget-tier LGA1700 motherboards eventually, but none exist currently. There will also be cheaper CPUs eventually. And there will be new Zen CPUs in a few months. I think people who don't need a new PC right now should probably wait, and those who do... I don't know, man. If you want something cheap, get an 11400 if you can find one. If you want something better right now, get a 12th gen CPU I guess. Z690 comes with other benefits too over AMD's chipsets. There are lots of M.2 slots on most boards, for instance. That's nice to have.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 4, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cretin90 posted:

The 12th gen is out right now, and it's even available, depending on where you look (like B&H Photo Video: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1663645-REG/intel_bx8071512600k_core_i5_12600k_8_core_lga.html)

Like I said though, it's probably worth waiting. It will go out of stock before the day ends, but give it a few months and it'll be easily available again, F SKUs will be available probably, the B660 chipset motherboards will be available for sub-$200, and there will be better options all around compared to what's currently available. You have to really want to be on the bleeding edge to jump in now. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not the pragmatic option.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 4, 2021

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

BurritoJustice posted:

I would price up a 12900K/DDR4 system and see if it's tenable for you, it's really a 5950x competitor at not much more than the 5900x. You can even run it at the lower power target and still have it beat the 5900x, especially in games/ST.

I've never not had an Intel system so I guess I could keep that trend going. Currently on the i5-4570. :v:

Should I still be looking at 3600 MHz for the DDR4? Or is that all kind of muddy right now with the new architecture?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Ultimately, waiting is the best choice, which is the drum I've been beating all along.

Wait how long? I would've liked an upgrade a while ago (from an i5-6400) but I don't strictly need to if it'd be prudent to wait a little longer.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

LGA1700 is also buying into a platform with some upgrade legs, while AM4 is effectively dead for now. Z690 is guaranteed to get Raptor Lake, coming around Zen4 with higher core counts and other improvements, and leakers are split on whether it'll go one further than that.

All the platform features are also the latest. You get PCIE 5.0, way more M.2 bandwidth due to the larger chipset link (8x lanes of PCIE 4.0 to share), USB 3.2 Gen 2x2, 2.5Gbe as standard, WiFi 6E/BT5.2, etc.

More about the total package than just a gaming perf improvement.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

edit: ^^^^ I'd say those legs aren't very long for DDR4 boards. We don't know what Intel's plans are, but I wouldn't be surprised if 13th gen doesn't support DDR4 at all. They will have certainly dropped support by 14th gen. So if you want a platform with legs, then you want DDR5 probably, and boy is that ever expensive. Also Intel doesn't have a super great reputation when it comes to motherboard backwards compatibility. edit: current leaks show that 13th gen WILL be BC with DDR4 boards so there's that, I guess. Though I'm still skeptical about future generations.

Rinkles posted:

Wait how long? I would've liked an upgrade a while ago (from an i5-6400) but I don't strictly need to if it'd be prudent to wait a little longer.

"However long it takes" would be my answer, though I know it's a poo poo one. We don't know when exactly the B-series motherboards or non-iGPU CPUs are coming, nor do we know what exactly AMD is doing with zen3d or when that's coming. So there's a lot of stuff still up in the air. I'd wait a few more months if possible, unless you really like what you're seeing and want to be an early adopter.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 4, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the other incentive to waiting would be the reasonable expectation that this will cause price pressure on the 5000 series just before black friday, which in my experience can lead to sales. the 5000 series has been stubbornly resistant to any kind of promo so that could be significant

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Welp, the 5600X / B550 upgrade I made a few weeks ago is looking a little less hot now compared to the i5-2600K benchmarks.

But maybe I still come out a bit ahead on price/performance terms.

I paid $131 for the MSI Tomahawk B550 board and $280 for the 5600X (total $411)
vs. Z690 Tomahawk DDR4 for $290 / i5-12600K is $320 (total $610)

I could see the argument for more M.2 slots, faster USB, etc. along with better CPU performance being worth the extra $200.

I am still in my return window for the CPU and mobo, and I bought DDR4-3600 RAM that I could carry over.

Should I think about moving over to Alder Lake or just ride this out and maybe swap in a Zen 3D chip next year? I'm just 4K gaming with a 3080 and probably not CPU limited in most things anyway, so my instinct is to not go through the hassle of returning and rebuilding stuff.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
You're not being gimped at that resolution, don't lose your head over it. At 4k you will see literally no difference at all.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Anyone who built strictly for gaming above 1080p should not be considering returns/rebuilds if they went 5600x/11400. The gains just aren’t there as the likelihood you’re CPU bound is very very low.

If you bought a prebuilt and you’re still in return window, you should be checking prices daily as that may change and you may want to try and get that cash back or do an exchange.

If you built, also pay attention to price changes as you can usually get that cash back in return windows.

Once more details and reviews and such come out I’ll get some OP updates going.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

You're not being gimped at that resolution, don't lose your head over it. At 4k you will see literally no difference at all.

If you want to go for a more budget oriented pick for 4k gaming, a 3600 will give you the essentially the same frame rates as a 5600x on the vast majority of games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSxuiWih_Z8&t=627s

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Is there an easy-to-read source (manufacturer or third-party) for what the “upgradeability” of certain motherboards (I have an ASUS mb) are capable?

I have a bit of trouble coming up with search terms specifically for finding stuff like this because of word/usage links in 22 years of Schizophrenia. My mobo is an ASUS 460(-ish?) or so and I can’t seem to find this information-type through Google or DDGo. I don’t know any other way to explain it, and I do know that cutting-edge products get the flashy presentations, but it’s harder (for me, apparently) to find even on the support pages.

I haven’t tried YouTube or bing yet, but it’s 99% my fault I’m sure and not any specific search’s algorithms.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So that 460 sounds like a chipset specification, which won't tell you what you really want, which is exactly what your exact motherboard can do. Assuming you're running Windows, open up System Information, and checkout what it shows under Baseboard Product. So in my case it's an MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk, which is what you can then easily google for spec sheets and such.

What exactly are you trying to figure out whether you can upgrade?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

DerekSmartymans posted:

I haven’t tried YouTube or bing yet, but it’s 99% my fault I’m sure and not any specific search’s algorithms.

You need to check the socket type to see which CPUs physically fit in the board, and then see what chipset the motherboard is and what generation of processors those support. For Intel this isn't as much of an issue as they seem to change sockets every generation or two, but Ryzen have had the AM4 socket for a while so there are older boards that could physically fit a Zen3 chip but don't have the chipset to run it.

Also now we're on the cusp of DDR5 so there's going to be a period of RAM compatibility issues to consider.

Either way, just tell us what specific model of motherboard you have and we can tell you what your upgrade options are.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

DerekSmartymans posted:

Is there an easy-to-read source (manufacturer or third-party) for what the “upgradeability” of certain motherboards (I have an ASUS mb) are capable?

I have a bit of trouble coming up with search terms specifically for finding stuff like this because of word/usage links in 22 years of Schizophrenia. My mobo is an ASUS 460(-ish?) or so and I can’t seem to find this information-type through Google or DDGo. I don’t know any other way to explain it, and I do know that cutting-edge products get the flashy presentations, but it’s harder (for me, apparently) to find even on the support pages.

If you're asking if you can upgrade to the new Intel chips, the answer is no no matter what board you have.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Butterfly Valley posted:

You need to check the socket type to see which CPUs physically fit in the board, and then see what chipset the motherboard is and what generation of processors those support. For Intel this isn't as much of an issue as they seem to change sockets every generation or two, but Ryzen have had the AM4 socket for a while so there are older boards that could physically fit a Zen3 chip but don't have the chipset to run it.

Also now we're on the cusp of DDR5 so there's going to be a period of RAM compatibility issues to consider.

Either way, just tell us what specific model of motherboard you have and we can tell you what your upgrade options are.

Thanks, you two. Like I said, I just didn’t have the knowledge of words to use in order to search for myself! I’ll post all the specs after I get home and login.

I don’t have any money for upgrades (my sister’s husband did drop 64GB 3200 DDR4 RAM as “e-waste” on me a week or so ago), but I’m able to save and my PC is running everything with no trouble, but my GTX970 system is, too, and it was piecemeal’d over a six-year period. I don’t care about TotL capabilities or anything, but enjoy tinkering and upgrading gear over time, and I’m able to wait an extra month or two apiece to upgrade (over a long-rear end upgrade period!) to get the money.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

If you're asking if you can upgrade to the new Intel chips, the answer is no no matter what board you have.

I usually don’t upgrade beyond a generation or even two below MAXIMUM POWER anyways, but I know my processor is an i7 10xxx and won’t take a 12xxx at all, but I couldn’t afford the prebuilt with the i7 (i9?) 11xxx for instance and didn’t know if I was even capable of a slight upgrade two years from now or even how to tell!

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

CoolCab posted:

benchmarks are hitting like a hurricane - the 12600k is considerably better than the 5600x, and can be run at nearly the same speeds on a ddr4 platform negating some of the additional cost. that might inform your decision making, we only had confirmation today.

I think I’ll stick with the Ryzen for now. I eventually want to go hog-wild with a high-end CPU and a custom watercooling loop, but I’m content with this minimum viable build until AM5 stuff ships and DDR5 trickles down into the mainstream. I just want a home for the 3070 so I can yank the Windows drive out of my current desktop, a 2010 Mac Pro.

I might return the PSU and go for the 760W or 860W after all, it looks like higher-end cards like the 3080 recommend 750+ and it would one more thing I’d have to upgrade later.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Man, what an awkward time to be in the market for a new build. Between new CPU sockets here or on the horizon, Intel popping it's head up after a long hiatus, and the GPU market being madnes with ETH 2.0 sorta on the horizon there is so much uncertainty and pain. Mostly pain.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
absolutely optimal time to buy last gen secondhand on good deep discount (particularly if you're patient and quick), the 3000 series is starting to show up in numbers on facebook market and such. i'm waiting for DDR5 early adopters to start selling me their high end DDR4 kits for nowt :evilbuddy:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

gay_crimes posted:

Thanks, I'll scoop up a 5600x and report back

The lags entirely gone now with the 5600x in my rig and everything feels buttery smooth, fps more than doubled in the chuggiest areas

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
noice!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Pvt. Parts posted:

Man, what an awkward time to be in the market for a new build. Between new CPU sockets here or on the horizon, Intel popping it's head up after a long hiatus, and the GPU market being madness with ETH 2.0 sorta on the horizon there is so much uncertainty and pain. Mostly pain.

Although I haven't got the money to buy a new PC yet, and my i7 920 is still chugging along, I had scoped out an AMD system (pre-built from SCAN), however the idea of the new Intel i5 12600k is interesting.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

If I were in the market for a new PC right now and I had needs beyond gaming, I'd definitely be after one of the new Intel chips. However the power and cooling needs, price of the motherboards and the whole DDR4/5 thing add a lot of cost to the build that for a user just wanting to game at 1440p/4k aren't worth it. In that situation I'd wait for either prices to come down on Zen3 or for more reasonable Intel motherboards to come out to build around a 12600 DDR4 board, or for AMD to release their 3D cache chips to see how they stack up.

As I said though for 1440p and 4k gaming no-one should be upset about their Zen3 platforms as there will be no appreciable difference. All of those Alder Lake review videos are based on 1080p gaming and productivity work.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

CoolCab posted:

absolutely optimal time to buy last gen secondhand on good deep discount (particularly if you're patient and quick), the 3000 series is starting to show up in numbers on facebook market and such. i'm waiting for DDR5 early adopters to start selling me their high end DDR4 kits for nowt :evilbuddy:

Holy gently caress, that happened a lot faster than I thought it would.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 4, 2021

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

CoolCab posted:

dang i didnt even think of that. how is warranty coverage on secondhand cpus? i'm guessing nonexistent?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

dang i didnt even think of that. how is warranty coverage on secondhand cpus? i'm guessing nonexistent?

CPUs almost never fail. It’s super rare and I’d be unconcerned about this.

Even if it came to it, it’s possible you could convince them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the ideal is to find someone who just upgraded when something new and shiny comes out and is trying to liquidate their old stuff to recoup some of the cost/get rid of it. they're motivated to sell (because it lessens the sting of expensive new gear) but probably don't care enough to haggle if you make a fair offer- if the money really mattered to them they'd not be upgrading so soon.

i got a 3600, x570 mobo and a cooler for 140 quid this way from an older gentleman who clearly just upgraded. i didn't haggle at all - protip for local sales: if someone says "oh someone else has said they want it" on a great deal respond with "fair enough but if they're at all funny about price i can pay full in cash and collect today". facebook is full of scammers, flakes and chancers and this type of seller wants it done ASAP, worked in this instance. after selling the excess parts my upgrade might even have a slight profit, lol.