Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Booooo. Give my dude Odric a good card, c'mon man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I can't say how loving underwhelming this card seems at first glance. A loving travesty. They didn't have to do my man Odric like that.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

When I was 17... it was a very good year
It was a very good year for high school dudes with mono black decks
Instead of having sex
I played GTA III
When I was 17

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I kinda wish this class of abilities had a name so that this, avacyn, and concerted effort all did the same thing.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
odric went from badass to the dude who brings the badass his blood sixpack

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

They waited until the last day FOR THIS?

I'm not even a lorehead but drat this is character assassination.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

*AVGN voice* What were they thinking?? I’d rather have Edgar shove a blood token up my rear end than play this lovely card

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

My hope is the commander decks they put out have a real cool Odric card in them.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
ngl i feel like people are treating blood tokens like they did food before eldraine actually came out (that is, really cold on something that ended up being solid in practice), but that's still a weird card especially because most of the blood cards we've seen are in black not white

my gut says he really should've at least come down and made X+1 blood tokens instead of X

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

*AVGN voice* What were they thinking?? I’d rather have Edgar shove a blood token up my rear end than play this lovely card

I just want you to know this was note-perfect. Thank you very much.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

TheLawinator posted:

My hope is the commander decks they put out have a real cool Odric card in them.

I hope so. This is a huge waste.

In one of the latest Resleevables they talk about how the flip Avacyn is one of the GOAT card designs because it was powerful, fun to play with/against, and also a home run in terms of telling a story and delivering the flavour of the set. This is like the exact opposite. It sucks, it's boring, and it doesn't even tell a cool story!! Odric got turned into a vampire and now he makes lovely tokens? gently caress you

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

I hope so. This is a huge waste.

In one of the latest Resleevables they talk about how the flip Avacyn is one of the GOAT card designs because it was powerful, fun to play with/against, and also a home run in terms of telling a story and delivering the flavour of the set. This is like the exact opposite. It sucks, it's boring, and it doesn't even tell a cool story!! Odric got turned into a vampire and now he makes lovely tokens? gently caress you

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

This is worse than any of the werewolves and zombies imo.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

lmao that they don't even give odric any of those abilities so you'd at least get some blood tokens.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
So my buddy who lives 10 minutes away received his Phyrexian Praetors secret lair today. I checked on mine and they still just say "Validated", no shipping info...

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Sickening posted:

I can't say how loving underwhelming this card seems at first glance. A loving travesty. They didn't have to do my man Odric like that.

It's so disappointing. Dude doesn't even get a keyword and that keyword count ability is almost always lovely. Could've been something like:

"When Odric ETB, choose a keyword ability.

Whenever Odric attacks, create a Blood token.

Sacrifice a Blood token: Creatures you control gain [Insert chosen keyword ability here] until end of turn."

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Wow Odric sucks now.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

TotalHell posted:

Wow Odric sucks now.

He's a vampire, it's all on theme.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I never cared about Odric :smugmrgw:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Received my Praetor Secret Lair in the mail today, the special card is a foil version of the Phyrexian swamp from Jumpstart.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I like how that Odric preview dropped into the thread during a discussion about how cards were turning into giant walls of uninteresting words

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

from the weekly mtg stream

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

flatluigi posted:

They've tied Maro up in an office chair and are printing this card while he kicks and screams

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

TotalHell posted:

Wow Odric sucks now.

...now?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I'm having a hard time conceptualizing the value of a blood token.

It's way worse than a draw, or a loot. It's way worse than a rummage because you have to pay the mana, but you do get to choose to rummage later if you don't have anything you currently want to discard. Rummage is better than a scry 1, though it doesn't stack as well as scry X. Without synergy, maybe the blood token is a bit worse than scry 1, ~1/4th to 1/5th the value of "draw a card"? It's influenced by the spread of value of the cards within a game state, which can be aggregated to the spread of values between cards for a matchup, and aggregated again to a metagame.

Rummage for 1 takes Thrill of Possibility from a bad but probably sometimes playable card (R - instant - draw 1) to a mediocre and played one (1R - instant - ~rummage 1 draw 1). Getting that without having to pay for the cycling is good. Getting it without casting a spell is can be quite bad - you lose cast triggers and most of the ways to copy it for CA. Being a token permanent and artifact is good.

GY synergies have mostly moved from "you want this in your GY" to "it's not so bad to have this in your GY" in current Standard. This means that you're generally getting maybe ~1/2 "draw a card" for discarding the right cards instead of >1 "draw a card". Dead cards in a matchup still give a full card, but there's probably less of them these days.

The meaningful blood token synergies are Bloodtithe Harvester, Voldaren Bloodcaster, and Falkenwrath Forebear. Maaaaaybe Sanguine Statuette.

If you lean into the synergies, maybe you can get a blood token up to ~1/3 to 1/2 a "draw a card" of value?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

AngryBooch posted:

They've tied Maro up in an office chair and are printing this card while he kicks and screams

It's mentor of the Meek

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

AngryBooch posted:

please stop being weird about maro

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

It's mentor of the Meek

maro fuckin haaaaaaaates Mentor of the Meek because he thinks white shouldn't get to draw cards ever, google
code:
mentor of the meek  site:https://markrosewater.tumblr.com
to get a taste of the insanity

https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/183794563223/if-mentor-of-the-meek-is-a-break-in-white-would-a

though it seems the rest of dev has finally talked some sense into him OR hogtied him and left him in a ditch, and that's why white has finally gotten some looks at card draw recently

flatluigi posted:

no don't

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I'm having a hard time conceptualizing the value of a blood token.

Hmm but Deliberate is probably worse than Thrill of Possibility, despite being scry 2 which is better than 2x scry 1. Thrill of Possibility is probably more on par with Curate and maybe even better than that?

I'm still confused.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Quite possibly the worst rare in the set.

flatluigi posted:

:holymoley:

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 4, 2021

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lone Goat posted:

maro fuckin haaaaaaaates Mentor of the Meek because he thinks white shouldn't get to draw cards ever, google
code:
mentor of the meek  site:[url]https://markrosewater.tumblr.com[/url]
to get a taste of the insanity

https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/183794563223/if-mentor-of-the-meek-is-a-break-in-white-would-a

though it seems the rest of dev has finally talked some sense into him OR hogtied him and left him in a ditch, and that's why white has finally gotten some looks at card draw recently

no don't

yeah dude he absolutely hates it, feel the anger

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

flatluigi posted:

Sorry Mark, just kidding.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Someone is going to build a deck that does nothing for 8 turns and then does something cute with this, but overall it's a bad card.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

“While you have a blood token, cards in your hand have Cycling 1” was a useful shortcut I read for conceptualising its value. That makes it seem a lot better somehow

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

AngryBooch posted:

Sorry Mark, just kidding.

someone asking you not to be weird shouldn't be your cue to double down

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

flatluigi posted:

yeah dude he absolutely hates it, feel the anger

lol if you can't feel the anger steaming off that post

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

If Maro's been on theme about anything lately, its 'we've had to change white a bunch because weenie aggro is bad in commander'.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

lol if you can't feel the anger steaming off that post

Please...you are a good poster...please stop being bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

flatluigi posted:

someone asking you not to be weird shouldn't be your cue to double down

i think this is way weirder than just making an offhand joke about maro not liking white card draw