Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Yeah, or just pick up some knock off stuff off Amazon. Should all look about the same.

Colour science note:

Colour shifting is not what we're doing here, and is actually not possible (unless we're talking about the relative velocity of stars). What we're doing is filtering out all the colours except whatever the filter material allows through.

So if you have a white light that emits a really broad spectrum, then red acetate will filter out everything but red.
If you try the same thing on a pure, narrow blue spectrum LED, then the red filter will basically just block out all the light.

In terms of calculation for targeting specific temperatures, you need some expensive sensors to grab the spectral distribution, and then tricky math to get your desired spectral distribution, then some magic filters to get to exactly that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

ante posted:

Colour science note:

So if you have a white light that emits a really broad spectrum, then red acetate will filter out everything but red.
If you try the same thing on a pure, narrow blue spectrum LED, then the red filter will basically just block out all the light.

Yeah, that didn't happen. Until about 3 layers.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 4, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you have your refrigerator move away from you at relativistic speeds, that should lower the color temperature.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

here's a better picture, whoever thought having some kind of loving rave in my refrigerator was good design can gently caress off, it makes food look like poo poo

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Cojawfee posted:

If you have your refrigerator move away from you at relativistic speeds, that should lower the color temperature.

Better go catch it! :haw:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

apparently that kapton tape is a brand of what is called polyimide tape, which is used in various electrical applications. I saw something about a person using it on their e-reader board so they could get a cooler color temp when they were reading at night. presumably this is before the models came with a color temperature that adjusted based on the amount of light/dark in the room

https://vivek.silvrback.com/how-to-change-your-e-reader-s-backlight-color-for-better-sleep

apparently polyimide tape works from -100 to 500 F lol

I also saw light filters that are used for tv/film/etc

http://www.leefilters.com/lighting/colour-details.html#020

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Anybody know of any good hands-on pneumatic logic resources? i havent worked with this stuff in years and it isn't coming back to me as quick as i'd like. neither basic digital logic nor PLC-type ladder logic are that tricky for me but i forgot that pure pneumatic logic is "fucky to implement" and "not quite the same as normal digital logic", you kind of get steered into working with a limited set of valve-circuit-equivalent Logic Units and not working problems the way you would if high pressure air wasn't involved.

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 5, 2021

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

actionjackson posted:

apparently that kapton tape is a brand of what is called polyimide tape, which is used in various electrical applications. I saw something about a person using it on their e-reader board so they could get a cooler color temp when they were reading at night. presumably this is before the models came with a color temperature that adjusted based on the amount of light/dark in the room

https://vivek.silvrback.com/how-to-change-your-e-reader-s-backlight-color-for-better-sleep

apparently polyimide tape works from -100 to 500 F lol

I also saw light filters that are used for tv/film/etc

http://www.leefilters.com/lighting/colour-details.html#020

Polyimide is dope as poo poo. It's what everyone should have instead of electrical tape. They use it in spaceships.

It also varies in color by manufacturer, if you're using it as a light filter, FYI.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

actionjackson posted:

here's a better picture, whoever thought having some kind of loving rave in my refrigerator was good design can gently caress off, it makes food look like poo poo

:hmmyes: This led bullshit needs to stop. I swear anything I make will have either no lights or configurable ones you can permanently turn off.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Anybody know of any good hands-on pneumatic logic resources? i havent worked with this stuff in years and it isn't coming back to me as quick as i'd like. neither basic digital logic nor PLC-type ladder logic are that tricky for me but i forgot that pure pneumatic logic is "fucky to implement" and "not quite the same as normal digital logic", you kind of get steered into working with a limited set of valve-circuit-equivalent Logic Units and not working problems the way you would if high pressure air wasn't involved.

What are you trying to do pneumatically? This really depends on application.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Cory Parsnipson posted:

:hmmyes: This led bullshit needs to stop. I swear anything I make will have either no lights or configurable ones you can permanently turn off.

The monkey paw grants your wish. The interface to turn off the LEDs is accessible through the official app that connects to the always-on WiFi.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
I figure this is as good a place as any to ask: I need some bright overhead lighting for a workbench, I don't want to hack into the ceiling too much because I'm probably moving next year, but my wife says that anything linear (fluorescents, LEDs, anything in a line or strip) looks "too cheap". I was going to do the conventional "LED strip/fluorescent on poles coming off the back of the bench" like everyone does, but that's out now and I didn't know if any of you had seen super bright non-cheap-looking lights

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

KnifeWrench posted:

The monkey paw grants your wish. The interface to turn off the LEDs is accessible through the official app that connects to the always-on WiFi.

LOL

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

poll plane variant posted:

What are you trying to do pneumatically? This really depends on application.

literally just loving around. im shocked by how small i can print a decent functional ball check or shuttle valve on my 3d printer, which i originally wanted for non-logic-related reasons, but it got me thinking that i could probably pack a full adder or more into an inch cube of Printed Part; not quite microfluidics, but still much smaller than the other hobbyist pneumatic logic stuff ive run into. i'm inclined to build out a little library of not-quite-micropneumatic gates based on a couple reliable valve designs and try printing up some basic logic circuits, i can print in translucent plastic and you can see the inner valve parts shuttling about so a ring oscillator or a ripple adder would probably end up real neat to watch in action. if i can get a usable high signal from just compressed air vs atmosphere after multiple layers of flow-restricting valves, anyways.

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 5, 2021

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

I figure this is as good a place as any to ask: I need some bright overhead lighting for a workbench, I don't want to hack into the ceiling too much because I'm probably moving next year, but my wife says that anything linear (fluorescents, LEDs, anything in a line or strip) looks "too cheap". I was going to do the conventional "LED strip/fluorescent on poles coming off the back of the bench" like everyone does, but that's out now and I didn't know if any of you had seen super bright non-cheap-looking lights

Sever and buy strip lights, they are the right thing for the location unless this is some sort of bespoke workbench.

I'd say maybe can lights but you'd be getting into the ceiling which is worse.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

These are much brighter than several feet of LED strips, and you can screw them onto poles or whatever:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-5000lm-LED-Portable-Work-Light-HD5000PUO/307939523

No idea if they'll meet your wife's definition of "cheap looking" though.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

speaking of my LEDs, the microwave and electric range are both blue LED, so I put the microwave on eco mode which turns the display off, for the range the display cannot be turned off at all, but since I almost never use it I flipped the breaker lol

KnifeWrench posted:

Polyimide is dope as poo poo. It's what everyone should have instead of electrical tape. They use it in spaceships.

It also varies in color by manufacturer, if you're using it as a light filter, FYI.

yeah I saw that, I'm not sure how you would figure out which to get. it seems like most blue light filters on glasses and such are a kind of orange-yellow

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 5, 2021

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

ante posted:

Colour shifting is not what we're doing here, and is actually not possible (unless we're talking about the relative velocity of stars).

The following is kind of irrelevant to the topic discussed in the thread, but strangely I feel compelled to correct someone on the internet :D

Color shifting is pretty common. One mechanism of color shifting is photo-luminescence: a material absorbs light of a higher frequency and re-emits light at a lower frequency. Here is one application of this idea: phosphor coatings inside white LED packaged devices convert the blue light from the LED chip to the other colors in the visible spectrum. Another application of photo-luminescence: glow-in-the-dark T-shirts.

Another mechanism of color shifting, admittedly a lot less common, can happen at high optical intensities in certain kinds of materials and are maybe only practical to demonstrate with laser beams. In these nonlinear materials you can get harmonic generation, sum/difference frequency generation, etc. Maybe the biggest application of these kinds of materials is the green laser pointer. I've been told that most green laser pointers are infrared lasers with a frequency doubler to convert the infrared light to green light.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

actionjackson posted:

yeah I saw that, I'm not sure how you would figure out which to get. it seems like most blue light filters on glasses and such are a kind of orange-yellow

Oh, polyimide is always orange-yellow in my experience. It just varies in how dark. I'm saying if you try it and it's almost what you need, but you find you need extra layers, or it's too dark, you might still be able to get it to work with another brand.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

silence_kit posted:

The following is kind of irrelevant to the topic discussed in the thread, but strangely I feel compelled to correct someone on the internet :D

Color shifting is pretty common. One mechanism of color shifting is photo-luminescence: a material absorbs light of a higher frequency and re-emits light at a lower frequency. Here is one application of this idea: phosphor coatings inside white LED packaged devices convert the blue light from the LED chip to the other colors in the visible spectrum. Another application of photo-luminescence: glow-in-the-dark T-shirts.

Sounds an awful lot like absorption and re-emission to me, which is not colour shifting :)

silence_kit posted:

Another mechanism of color shifting, admittedly a lot less common, can happen at high optical intensities in certain kinds of materials and are maybe only practical to demonstrate with laser beams. In these nonlinear materials you can get harmonic generation, sum/difference frequency generation, etc. Maybe the biggest application of these kinds of materials is the green laser pointer. I've been told that most green laser pointers are infrared lasers with a frequency doubler to convert the infrared light to green light.

Sounds an awful lot like witchcraft to me, and the angry mob is heading your way right now to burn you at the stake

If you can build a housing for striplights, and then a plastic diffusion layer about an inch or two away, they won't look cheap. Because that's literally how high end lighting does it. Nicer too, less harsh.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

KnifeWrench posted:

Oh, polyimide is always orange-yellow in my experience. It just varies in how dark. I'm saying if you try it and it's almost what you need, but you find you need extra layers, or it's too dark, you might still be able to get it to work with another brand.

I wonder if adding multiple layers reduces the color temp more, or just lowers the brightness.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ante posted:

Sounds an awful lot like absorption and re-emission to me, which is not colour shifting :)

I guess if it doesn't involve acrylic paint darkening as its binder dries, it has to legally be called "sparkling absorption and re-emission"

But seriously, materials that absorb photons and re-emit them at lower energies are called wavelength shifters, and wavelength correlates to color for photons in the visible range, so I don't think "color shifter" is too unreasonable a phrase.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

KnifeWrench posted:

My goddamn wireless JBL headset is exactly this and I'd rather it rotate a rainbow than download an app. I really like it besides that one thing.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

TacoHavoc posted:

Sever and buy strip lights, they are the right thing for the location unless this is some sort of bespoke workbench.

I'd say maybe can lights but you'd be getting into the ceiling which is worse.

I absolutely do not want to get into the ceiling because I am moving very likely in under a year. I would ideally suspend strip lights in good diffusers from the ceiling in a curve that follows my whole L-shaped desk, but right now I feel like throwing a bracket with lights on the top would be easiest. I'm doing small soldering and mechanical assembly so I need a LOT of light. Anything linear at all in shape has been rejected as looking too cheap/institutional so I'm really in my head about this. I'm obviously not like forbidden to do it but I don't want to end up looking like I'm in a dump either. Here's a picture for reference, black thing is parts bins, small side of L has computer on it, shelves have scope, power supply, etc.

Light strip is 8 feet long, for scale.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Putting a few strips side by side so you get a wider rectangular shape would be good. And then diffusion, obviously.

Or even curve it a little around where your head is located in space. Like, raise that middle support a couple inches.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

ante posted:

Putting a few strips side by side so you get a wider rectangular shape would be good. And then diffusion, obviously.

Or even curve it a little around where your head is located in space. Like, raise that middle support a couple inches.

I'm not just going to throw bare strips on a board, I'm probably just going to use the ubiquitous narrow 4-foot workbench light modules. That's what I have out in the garage too and like them, I think you can get color temp change ones.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

I'm doing small soldering and mechanical assembly so I need a LOT of light. Anything linear at all in shape has been rejected as looking too cheap/institutional so I'm really in my head about this.

I guess the other option is to get a drafting light you can clamp onto the bench like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MHH9Q7B/. I own it and like it, but it does get in the way some times. You talk about mounting strips with diffusers on the ceiling, could you just do that off the brackets you've modeled? I'm not sure how it doesn't break the linear rule though.

Comedy option of buying an architectural or spec grade led tubular fixture, so when she calls it cheap you can tell her it was actually not cheap. https://www.alconlighting.com/led-tube-lights.html

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

TacoHavoc posted:

I guess the other option is to get a drafting light you can clamp onto the bench like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MHH9Q7B/. I own it and like it, but it does get in the way some times. You talk about mounting strips with diffusers on the ceiling, could you just do that off the brackets you've modeled? I'm not sure how it doesn't break the linear rule though.

Comedy option of buying an architectural or spec grade led tubular fixture, so when she calls it cheap you can tell her it was actually not cheap. https://www.alconlighting.com/led-tube-lights.html

Yeah, either way it breaks the linear rule. If I were living here longer I would absolutely go with the high end tube lights like you are linking regardless. I guess I will just try to pass whatever I end up rigging on those brackets as temporary.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

KnifeWrench posted:

This is already too true :negative:

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

ante posted:

Colour shifting is not what we're doing here, and is actually not possible (unless we're talking about the relative velocity of stars). What we're doing is filtering out all the colours except whatever the filter material allows through.
Bummer. I want to make Knight Visions from Snow Crash.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ante posted:

Kapton tape is a nice orangeish colour that would filter out the blues. Red acetate is also good for that, and should be available at Staples or wherever

Back to this for a second, how do you know that kapton (and I guess polyimide tape in genearl) will filter out blue colors? Not that I don't believe you, but I never see anything about that when looking up info about polyimide tape, I only found that one DIY e-reader hack that mentioned it.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

actionjackson posted:

Back to this for a second, how do you know that kapton (and I guess polyimide tape in genearl) will filter out blue colors? Not that I don't believe you, but I never see anything about that when looking up info about polyimide tape, I only found that one DIY e-reader hack that mentioned it.

I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding your question, so apologies if this comes off condescending. Any tinted transparent material is filtering visible light by color. The color it looks like (yellow, orange, red) corresponds roughly to the wavelengths of light it passes. Since the blue end of the spectrum is on the far end from the red end, if you're selectively passing yellows, oranges, and reds, you are correspondingly blocking blues. This is why early 3D glasses were red and blue -- to maximize contrast.

There are some weird edge cases with the way your brain processes color (like the existence of purple), but the gist is that if it looks yellow, it's blocking (at least some) blue.

This is also how you can tell that "blue light blocking" glasses that look perfectly clear are a scam.

Edit: ante with the visual aids! Effort posting > phone posting! :science:

KnifeWrench fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 5, 2021

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
It has a reddish brown color when you look at it under normal indoor lighting. The tape doesn’t fluoresce, like a glow in the dark t-shirt. So the reason why it has the reddish-brown color must be that it filters blue light.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Okay, we can go into some colour theory.

The picture you posted does look to me like a very cool white LED.

The spectral distribution of it will look something like this:

That big peak on the left are all the blue components, and they're bullshit. You want to get rid of that area specifically.

Kapton tape looks amber*. In terms of filters, the reason it does that is that it blocks all light except that colour.

That's just how filters work.

In theory, you could find a filter that allows all light from 500nm to 780nm to pass, blocking 380 to 500nm completely. That would be ideal for your use-case. I don't know of any such thing, I totally just suggested Kapton as the first thing that came to mind that is in the right range of wavelengths, readily available, and hey, bonus, it's sticky.

*We're not talking about metamers, I don't actually know the spectral distribution of Kapton, don't @ me

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

KnifeWrench posted:

This is also how you can tell that "blue light blocking" glasses that look perfectly clear are a scam.

I don't think they are exactly a scam. Also, I think they usually will say that they don't block all blue light, they just block a portion of it. At least, the glasses I bought months and months ago and then used for a month say. Here's a picture comparing my cheapo glasses I got from the air force on the left, and the "blue blocker" glasses I bought on the right. The lamp light is a warm colored LED bulb and you can see my prescription glasses that likely don't have anything fancy on them reflect the same amount of the entire spectrum. The blue blockers on the right are more blue tinted, and I assume this means that more blue light is being reflected rather than going through the lens, which turns the reflection a blue color. So I would say they are doing what they advertised they would do.

I don't think they are all that necessary anymore though, because almost all of my devices have night light features that will decrease how much blue light the screens emit after a certain time.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 5, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks for the explanation! just to check, I don't want the light in the fridge to look yellowish or amber (like a 2000-3000K light), I just want it to be whitish, like 4000K-5000K. I assume it will do something like that?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 5, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

(re. Blue blocker glasses) Yes. The post about filters up above leaves out the other important filtering technique, which is that rather than absorbing the colors you don't want, you can try to bounce them off to somewhere else. A "dichroic filter" works this way, using carefully deposited thin film coatings to interfere with certain frequency ranges and bounce those away while transmitting the rest.

Anti-reflection coatings on glasses and camera lenses are dichroic filters. The color of the reflection as you see, like blue in the glasses above or red/green in most camera lenses, is the color that is being filtered out.

I have a motorcycle helmet visor that is mirrored gold on the outside. Because it reflects away all the yellow parts of the spectrum, the view from the inside is noticeably blue tinted.

Dichroic filters are also commonly used in high power theatrical colored lighting. If you used an absorptive filter, all those wavelengths you don't want would be turning into heat in the filter and would probably crack or melt it. If you just bounce them back into the light housing it's not as big a problem.

Aircraft heads-up displays also use this type of filter, but kind of in reverse; the HUD combiner that you look through is specially treated glass that passes almost all light and only reflects the green color of the display mounted somewhere below it. The effect is to have green symbols hovering on a transparent background.

:science:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 5, 2021

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

actionjackson posted:

thanks for the explanation! just to check, I don't want the light in the fridge to look yellowish or amber (like a 2000-3000K light), I just want it to be whitish, like 4000K-5000K. I assume it will do something like that?

Sorry, no, it'll make it look amber.

You can pick up blue blocker screens for monitors that you might be able to cut down. This is moving away from topics I'm comfortable with, so I don't know how well it'll work.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The other thing I was thinking you could try would be lighting gels, they're used in photography specifically to change color temperature so their colors are a lot more controlled. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Transparent-Correction-Photography-Flashlight/dp/B07V37D4DN/

Note how there's a bunch of different amber ones so you can pick the one that filters the light exactly enough to not look weird. The only problem is they're not sticky, so you'd need to figure out a way to attach them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

KnifeWrench posted:

There are some weird edge cases with the way your brain processes color (like the existence of purple), but the gist is that if it looks yellow, it's blocking (at least some) blue.

Another fun one is moonlight. The color temperature is the same as sunlight (moonlight is reflected sunlight and due to being grey the moon doesn't add much of a cast so no surprise there) but we see moonlit things here on earth with a blue cast because our ability to process color at low light gets really bad.