Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Zisky posted:

It reminds me of Radio Days in a lot of ways, especially the rabi scenes.

Except it's better and doesn't involve Woody Allen (which also makes it better).

This scene is pretty good admittedly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlJHdVHRBbk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

drat horror queefs posted:

I can practically guarantee you that they would have no interest in doing this.

The Coen brothers' fundamental interest imo is exploring weird people (or people so profoundly average they seem weird compared to a mainstream film protagonist) struggling against their lack of agency in a chaotic universe.

The "ubermenschen restores the upset status quo" basis of all MCU stories is totally antithetical to this.

True Grit is probably as close as they've gotten to that and presumably that could be a framework for exploring a deeply flawed but still preternaturally talented person but I don't think Marvel (or DC for that matter) would be keen on Tony Stark spending half the movie cramping from alcoholic shits

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Zisky posted:

Coen Brothers movies always exploit their settings really well.

I can't think of a single one where it isn't a character in and of itself.

i adore true grit

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Zisky posted:

The best Shakespeare adaptations are Romeo + Juliet and Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing.

RAN loving owns i should rewatch that

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the ending of True Grit can get me a little weepy if i'm not careful.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the richard III with ian mackellan as a fascist leader in 1930s britain is really great.

first scene is him sitting on a toilet while he delivers his first soliloquy

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

the ending of True Grit can get me a little weepy if i'm not careful.

it's so smart to make the climax not "fill your hands"
killing the "bad guy" is not the redeeming moment for Cogburn, he doesn't even get the big named kill

it's so clever and why superhero movies are comparatively simplistic trash

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
much ado about nothing is bad even as far as shakespeare goes. not a single funny joke in that whole script

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

McCloud posted:

Judakel starts frothing st the mouth at anything even remotely adjacent or tenuously associated with the topic, but somehow the snyder fans are the weird ones

shut up

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

indigi posted:

much ado about nothing is bad even as far as shakespeare goes. not a single funny joke in that whole script

I had to read it about a million times in high school and the movie was at least a refreshing take, so I'm probably biased.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
watching the eternals, looks terrible. sammael the hound of resurrection is here, cam deleted

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Police_monitoring posted:

A Serious Man is a pretty good portrait of anybody neurotically trying to be “normal”. It’s all L’s

speaking of a neurotic trying to be 'normal', Charlie Kaufman's novel Antkind is absolutely hilarious. it's completely absurd, the main charachter somehow manages to be more annoying than Ignatius J. Reilly (failed movie critic/professional contrarian obsessed with appearing politically correct and normal, to the extent that he constantly uses 'thon' as a pronoun while making sure other people notice he's using. he also hates charlie kaufman, good bit), and the story is a bit up its own rear end sometimes, but it still works. best deconstruction of the white liberal i've read in a while.

oscarthewilde has issued a correction as of 23:13 on Nov 4, 2021

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

indigi posted:

it's much better than love's labours lost, a play that feels like it's all trimmings. branagh is good for his role as well, as is thompson. the less said about the whedon version though, the better.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a serious man is good

also i remember liking the ally mcbeal version of midsummer night's dream but it's been 20 years

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Judakel posted:

No one cares about the cards nerd

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

josh04 posted:

i feel like posters should be able to work out for themselves what happened between may this year and november this year that has affected my willingness to go out to the cinema.

marketing for The Eternals is that dire, eh?

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Watch Throne Of Blood you mongrels

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

True Grit is probably as close as they've gotten to that and presumably that could be a framework for exploring a deeply flawed but still preternaturally talented person but I don't think Marvel (or DC for that matter) would be keen on Tony Stark spending half the movie cramping from alcoholic shits

Oh, yes, "flawed" is a better term for Coens' characters than "weird". Weird is maybe better suited to describing something like Terry Gilliam's protagonists because it implies an element of surrealist wackiness, whereas the Coens' sense of humour is comparatively much more dry.

(I also cried when I saw true grit because I am a big wuss)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

If you're not firing real arrows at a real actor then you're not a real filmmaker

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Sorry I have no interest in Game of Thrones spin offs

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

about half of buster scruggs was some of the best cinema i've ever seen

looks like i've seen every coen brothers since fargo but nothing before that. what's the best of blood simple, raising arizona, miller's crossing, barton fink or hudsucker proxy

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

i say swears online posted:

looks like i've seen every coen brothers since fargo but nothing before that. what's the best of blood simple, raising arizona, miller's crossing, barton fink or hudsucker proxy

if you liked John Goodman's work in their films see Raising Arizona or Barton Fink next, he's great in them.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I would go with Raising Arizona, not necessarily even because it's the "best" but it's so comfortable and accessible

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

now I want a coen brothers MCU flick

Basically Fargo the show

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

josh04 posted:

anti-snyder posting is a disease that will consume you. only honestly enjoying the fun films of the actual nice-guy director will free you from years of bitter posting about how everyone who likes the mass media you don't are all in one big conspiracy together.

theres like five of you, you all post in this thread when hes brought up, and you all have matching avatars

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

none of them are all that great. they have moments

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

McCloud posted:

Judakel starts frothing st the mouth at anything even remotely adjacent or tenuously associated with the topic, but somehow the snyder fans are the weird ones

literally all of your posts in this thread are about zach snyder

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CNyzdmXhe0

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
raising Arizona is one of the funniest movies ever made. nic cage's line reading on "I got me a job drilling holes in sheet metal" is hilarious enough for a dozen flicks

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

claire....... queen

(also p sure you could juliette binoche's character in this movie a "strong female")

https://twitter.com/hering_david/status/1455998189375459332

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Binoche is probably the best actress of her generation and her role in high life was amazing

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

the "gently caress box" —— now THAT's cinema baby!!!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

My favorite is Inside Llewyn Davis because I love the folk scene and Llewyn is a horribly broken yet entirely realistic representation of most of the people who made it semi-big in that era

If you liked Scruggs though you should jump into "O Brother, Where Art Thou" it's got the same musical touch and semi-fantastical tint to it and it's just charming as hell

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

buster scrugg was planned as an episodic series at some point iirc and got mashed into a single film.

the combo of coens + nick cage in raising arizona really threw me so it's worth seeing raising arizona for that, i haven't seen the others listed tho.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

downloading raising arizona, barton fink and lol there's a new guy ritchie heist film, i guess i gotta watch that

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

drat horror queefs posted:

I can practically guarantee you that they would have no interest in doing this.

The Coen brothers' fundamental interest imo is exploring weird people (or people so profoundly average they seem weird compared to a mainstream film protagonist) struggling against their lack of agency in a chaotic universe.

The "ubermenschen restores the upset status quo" basis of all MCU stories is totally antithetical to this.

'twas but a jape

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I never got any particular anti communist vibe from Death of Stalin outside the unflattering portrayals of the Soviet leadership, which while you can make a legitimate case about western media’s continual defaming of communist leaders, isn’t any kind of ideological critique. Ideology and its failure/success is never part of the narrative. It’s a workplace comedy about how your bosses at work would totally be assassinating each other if they could get away with it and how those above us are just as petty and unglamorous and mortal as you and me.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Farm Frenzy posted:

literally all of your posts in this thread are about zach snyder

Like the rest of your posts, this is wrong. It's not hard to check my post history here, and I literally only talk about him in here is when someone else brings him up. You've made more posts about him than I have in this thread

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Casey Finnigan posted:

was that taika waititi hitler movie any good?

no, it was extremely embarrassing and cringe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Please don't release a directors cut that says I'm mad because I'm not mad.