Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

I know at least one Gov't office is moving over to VoIP (finally), so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of this pops up soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I know this isn't the right thread but it seems Winnipeg doesn't have a LAN thread so I figured I'd ask here.

What are the best places to look for short term rentals in Northern Winnipeg? Some personal circumstances may lead me to move there for about 8 months before I return home. But since it isn't permanent I'd need a place with some basic furniture and ideally a desk.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

No idea - hit up r/winnipeg though - I am sure some people will know there. North End shouldn't be too bad if there's something.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.
Off topic, but I aced my Canadian citizenship test this morning. Really challenging material!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

No idea - hit up r/winnipeg though - I am sure some people will know there. North End shouldn't be too bad if there's something.

Did you seriously tell someone to look for housing in the North End?

Do not live in the north end. Look on Kijiji for a room to rent in North Kildonan or Garden City or something. That's the physical north side of the city and pretty decent.

Stay the gently caress away from anything advertised as North End. Jesus Christ.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I know at least one Gov't office is moving over to VoIP (finally), so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of this pops up soon.

There's a considerable amount of RFPs floating around for government departments/offices to go to VoIP. Most are written in such a way that only Bell/Telus/et al can support it, so it's not like the government is going to save any money.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

They asked about Northern Winnipeg so I answered.

And it's actually not TOO bad if you get up past Redwood and MacGregor. So Inkster area too.

Geeez. I didn't say check out Spence or around Higgins. And even then - who cares. Most people will not bug you.

But yeah, look around where bike boy said - Kildonan is perfectly fine, even Transcona as you'll have access to way more in that area.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

EvilJoven posted:

Did you seriously tell someone to look for housing in the North End?

Do not live in the north end. Look on Kijiji for a room to rent in North Kildonan or Garden City or something. That's the physical north side of the city and pretty decent.

Stay the gently caress away from anything advertised as North End. Jesus Christ.

I should clarify. I just need to be within reasonable distance or easy access to St. Andrews Airport. When I said North End I just assumed anywhere close to the Perimeter highway and Mcphillips st or Main st. I guess it would help if someone tells me whether or not those roads have insane traffic or not.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 4, 2021

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Kraftwerk posted:

anywhere close to the Perimeter highway and Mcphillips st or Main st.

"Close to the perimeter" and "part of the North End where you should be mindful walking around alone at night" are mutually exclusive so don't worry about the concerns about where you're talking about. Also technically you're not referring to the North End, even though that is in fact the northernmost end of the city.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Kraftwerk posted:

I should clarify. I just need to be within reasonable distance or easy access to St. Andrews Airport. When I said North End I just assumed anywhere close to the Perimeter highway and Mcphillips st or Main st. I guess it would help if someone tells me whether or not those roads have insane traffic or not.

What's reasonable? Because IMO anything from Winnipeg is about a 15-20 minute drive at 80-100kmh in a car to St.Andrews airport.

I'd actually look around St.Andrews and Selkirk if possible.

https://www.kijiji.ca/b-room-rental-roommate/winnipeg/c36l1700192?ll=50.143528%2C-96.875430&address=Selkirk%2C+MB&radius=12.0

But not much... so you may have to just suck it up and come from GC/Maples/North Kildonan.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 4, 2021

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Airbnb

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So Horgan had a cancerous growth in his throat.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

So Horgan had a cancerous growth in his throat.

i am torn about what lovely joke to say in response to this, there are too many good ones (and none of them are crude sex acts, just political digs)

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

A sign of the incredible amount of wealth that housing developers in Vancouver have piled up over the years. Audain is the CEO of Polygon, one of the largest developers in the region. Beyond this he also built his own museum in Whistler to house his vast art collection.

https://twitter.com/sarahkirby_yung/status/1456301474439307275?s=20

We need a wealth tax.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 4, 2021

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Oakland Martini posted:

Off topic, but I aced my Canadian citizenship test this morning. Really challenging material!

Congrats, fellow immigrant! I've got a long while to waot before I'm eligible, but what did you do to prepare?

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Arivia posted:

i am torn about what lovely joke to say in response to this, there are too many good ones (and none of them are crude sex acts, just political digs)

I think not telling a joke about someone having cancer would also be okay.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.

Muscle Tracer posted:

Congrats, fellow immigrant! I've got a long while to waot before I'm eligible, but what did you do to prepare?

I wasn't exactly being serious about the difficulty. They give you a study guide after processing your application. Here are the sample questions in the guide:

What are three responsibilities of citizenship?
a) Being loyal to Canada, recycling newspapers, serving in the navy, army or air force.
b) Obeying the law, taking responsibility for oneself and one’s family, serving on a jury.
c) Learning both official languages, voting in elections, belonging to a union.
d) Buying Canadian products, owning your own business, using less water.

What is the meaning of the Remembrance Day poppy?
a) To remember our Sovereign, Queen Elizabeth II.
b) To celebrate Confederation.
c) To honour prime ministers who have died.
d) To remember the sacrifice of Canadians who have served or died in wars up to the present day.

How are members of parliament chosen?
a) They are appointed by the United Nations.
b) They are chosen by the provincial premiers.
c) They are elected by voters in their local constituency (riding).
d) They are elected by landowners and police chiefs.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oakland Martini posted:

I wasn't exactly being serious about the difficulty. They give you a study guide after processing your application. Here are the sample questions in the guide:

What are three responsibilities of citizenship?
a) Being loyal to Canada, recycling newspapers, serving in the navy, army or air force.
b) Obeying the law, taking responsibility for oneself and one’s family, serving on a jury.
c) Learning both official languages, voting in elections, belonging to a union.
d) Buying Canadian products, owning your own business, using less water.

d) To remember the sacrifice of Canadians who have served or died in wars up to the present day.

How are members of parliament chosen?
a) They are appointed by the United Nations.
b) They are chosen by the provincial premiers.
c) They are elected by voters in their local constituency (riding).
d) They are elected by landowners and police chiefs.

D, A, D. That was easy, what did I win? ...wait, are we going by what we're supposed to say or how it seems to actually be?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Oakland Martini posted:

The wording of the answer has me wondering if there'a a holiday for veterans of FUTURE wars :tinfoil:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

The wording of the answer has me wondering if there'a a holiday for veterans of FUTURE wars :tinfoil:

last day of summer vacation

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Muscle Tracer posted:

d) To remember the sacrifice of Canadians who have served or died in wars up to NOW().

written by some politician who'd dabbled in programming trying to future proof their holidays but didn't consider the chris pratt inferior edge of tomorrow movie edge case

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Serious question what really are my 3 responsibilities as a Canadian because I sure don’t match all 3 in any choice.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ

Kraftwerk posted:

Sent you a PM since I live relatively close to Mcphillips st

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Kibayasu posted:

Serious question what really are my 3 responsibilities as a Canadian because I sure don’t match all 3 in any choice.

It's the primary duty of every Canadian to recycle newspapers

I think the answer is b

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Kibayasu posted:

Jury duty is your only real obligation to Canada.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
I 'aint responsible for my bitch wife

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I barely remember doing the immigration/citizen test because I did it about 15 years ago but I remember a booklet they gave us which had a lot of basic history and geography and the test ended up being mostly stuff like national animals and how many provinces there were.
Anyway you now have swearing alligence to the Queen to look forward to so you are nearly there.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Thank goodness I was born here and never had to take the oath of fealty

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I 'aint responsible for my bitch wife

Sir someone has to pay bail.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

Madkal posted:

Anyway you now have swearing alligence to the Queen to look forward to so you are nearly there.

Wear a niqab

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

gonna share this

http://disavowal.ca

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Reminder, Lizzy ordered her house staff not to hire any non-whites and wouldn't let the UK pass anti-discrimination laws until they gave her household an exemption.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

If being extremely racist were the worst thing about the royals that would certainly be an improvement

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 10, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

A pyrrhic victory if ever I saw one

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

If the queen dies and I don't re-swear to the new sovereign, am i free

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Of course the government considers it legal, because it doesn't actually release anyone from that part of the oath, or do anything else.

tagesschau fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 5, 2021

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

infernal machines posted:

Jury duty is your only real obligation to Canada.

Serve the public trust. Protect the innocent. Uphold the law.

directive 4: double double and a honey crueler every day, eh bud

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Argas posted:

Unfortunately, the oath is a blank check to each of her spawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Argas posted:

Nope, it includes her "heirs and successors", you're stuck until the monarchy is abolished.
Or I guess if Canada becomes a republic. We might need to elect the ghosts of LaFontaine, Baldwin, Mackenzie, and Papineau.

Femtosecond posted:

A sign of the incredible amount of wealth that housing developers in Vancouver have piled up over the years. Audain is the CEO of Polygon, one of the largest developers in the region. Beyond this he also built his own museum in Whistler to house his vast art collection.

https://twitter.com/sarahkirby_yung/status/1456301474439307275?s=20

We need a wealth tax.

Relevant to this, I was just reading an article about Kalamazoo this morning.
https://time.com/6110450/kalamazoo-foundation-for-excellence/

We long ago reached the point where people became wealthy enough to independently fund things such as hospitals and museums. This is bad enough of course. But apparently we've now got them interested in directly funding cities so they can dictate policy.

The short form of this is that the city was going to have to implement an income tax and raise property taxes to make ends meet. In response, 2 rich guys said they would fund the city in return for the city never implementing the income tax or raising property taxes. This of course, amounts to a massive tax break for the already wealthy majority white population who make up the landowning class and high income class, thus exacerbating the wealth gap.
Kalamazoo is now dependent on this funding and these 2 guys can single-handedly dictate what their money is spent on by the city.