Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

loudog999 posted:

Split Pad users, what games do you find yourself taking them off and going back to joy-cons? Like I said, I barely use my old ones but I’ll be damned if I take the Mega Man one off unless I really have to. I’m guessing most with motion control. Personally I would need motion in Resident Evil 4, Quake, Dusk, maybe the Dooms. Anything else I’m missing? Splatoon I guess but I haven’t played that forever.

I last used Joycons for Skyward Sword and Great Ace Attorney, but mostly because it was easier to have them attached to charge since I'd use them when in docked mode.

They're great for Monster Hunter. They've saved me so many hand cramps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Detective No. 27 posted:

Maybe they're covering their asses or something, but docking feels no different from docking when I had my previous Switch with the pro pads. I even just now checked to see if maybe it doesn't sit flush but the Switch sits on the dock the same either way. It's always charged fine, hasn't lost connection during a docked session or acted weird.
The OG Switch is ever so slightly narrower than the OLED so maybe the OLED dock is also slightly wider which isn't a huge issue if you're trying to dock an OG Switch until you put big thick attachments on the ends.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

loudog999 posted:

Split Pad users, what games do you find yourself taking them off and going back to joy-cons? Like I said, I barely use my old ones but I’ll be damned if I take the Mega Man one off unless I really have to. I’m guessing most with motion control. Personally I would need motion in Resident Evil 4, Quake, Dusk, maybe the Dooms. Anything else I’m missing? Splatoon I guess but I haven’t played that forever.

I pretty much only use my joycons for turn-based games, though I don't really play on handheld any games that use extensive motion controls.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I cannot believe people play handheld mode with joycons for any appreciable amount of time. It's so uncomfortable.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They feel fine to me op

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
i have a lite as im an alpha

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

hatty posted:

They feel fine to me op

Well shut I'm wrong then gently caress

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I cannot believe people play handheld mode with joycons for any appreciable amount of time. It's so uncomfortable.

1. attach satisfye grip
2. now it's basically fine

could still be better, but it doesn't kill my hands like handheld without the grip does

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm getting back into Animal Crossing in a huge way, and one of the things that I appreciate about it is just how insanely customizable it all is. I remember when I started playing, I was sitting at a table in my house, with custom album art put up as posters, listening to a few of my KK songs on my stereo, while I designed my Nook phone case to resemble a ghost trap from Ghostbusters.

My wife makes clothing, designs many areas of the island, and she and I try to design our rooms around a theme each. I have a cafe in my basement, and I loved making it.

[video]

Can't wait to make more stuff, especially with the update and the incoming DLC. :allears:

Shiiiiiit that's a really awesome cafe! I should boot the game back up up and finish out my music studio idea (and cringe at the amount of weeds).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Having tried both, I liked the Split Pad Pro a lot more than the Satisfye grip, though that's probably a matter of personal preference

I also have large, unwieldy sasquatch hands so that could be part of it

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I have tiny little boy hands which are good for video games but bad for opening jars of sauce

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

whaley posted:

persona isnt similar enough to digital devil saga. 1 out of 5

Digital Devil Saga is so loving amazing. It is criminal that hasn’t been remastered yet.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Turbinosamente posted:

Shiiiiiit that's a really awesome cafe! I should boot the game back up up and finish out my music studio idea (and cringe at the amount of weeds).

Thank you!

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Someone in the AC thread said you can pay Leif 100k to get rid of all of your weeds. I didn't play for about 6 months and it honestly wasn't too bad to clean up manually, but if you're still rich from turnips or something it's nice there's a shortcut.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

loudog999 posted:

Pro tip: You can use gyro in Quake with the Hori splitpad, because we setup the gyro correctly (you are supposed to use the one inside the Switch itself while in handheld mode). ;)

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

i can never figure out how to properly support the console and end up doing it with my pinky fingers, which gets pretty uncomfortable after a while. but on the upside my pinky fingers are now swole and jacked.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Muscle Tracer posted:

i can never figure out how to properly support the console and end up doing it with my pinky fingers, which gets pretty uncomfortable after a while. but on the upside my pinky fingers are now swole and jacked.
The mental gymnastics my mind went through just to try and picture what hosed up weird way you've been holding your Switch gave me a headache.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Someone seems jealous of his swole pinkies. I get it.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Glover doesn't even have a pinky

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

The Postman posted:

Someone in the AC thread said you can pay Leif 100k to get rid of all of your weeds. I didn't play for about 6 months and it honestly wasn't too bad to clean up manually, but if you're still rich from turnips or something it's nice there's a shortcut.

I, uh got sort of far but not, so no Leif in town as a permanent fixture, nor does my house even have a basement iirc. It's frightening how far behind I am.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

1. attach satisfye grip
2. now it's basically fine

could still be better, but it doesn't kill my hands like handheld without the grip does

But where are the Mega Man designs hidden on them?

Rocket Pan posted:

Pro tip: You can use gyro in Quake with the Hori splitpad, because we setup the gyro correctly (you are supposed to use the one inside the Switch itself while in handheld mode). ;)

Cool, didn’t know that. Any other games do this?

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

The Postman posted:

I want MORE weeds in my town, the weeds in this game look loving sick

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Quantum of Phallus posted:

RPS was good for a while when it was the old UK PCZone/Gamer staff but it absolutely sucks now
You can relive the good old days by going way back to the earliest articles, when it was just 4 people writing about PC games:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/latest?page=1787

Optimus Crime

Alec Meer 14 years ago

I'm preaching to the converted I'm sure, but whatever you do, do not buy, play or even pirate the Transformers game. It's no worse on PC than any other platform, but it is quite astonishingly dreadful. Part of the reason for this I lay not at the feet of the developers (Travellers Tales, best-known for the diminishingly excellent Lego Star Wars series, but in fact with a history of horrific licensed titles behind them) but at the nature of the game.

Medal Of Honor: Airborne Demo

Jim Rossignol 14 years ago

You can download it from here, at the princely size of 1.3gb. Word on the street (well, in the pub at least) is that this is a pretty good iteration of the soldier series, at least offering some competition for the mighty Call of Duty games. Airborne contains lots of hot parachuting action, violence against Nazis, and broad levels to allow you some shooting freedom in an otherwise linear action game. Huff huff, or whatever it is American soldiers say.

Jumping out of a plane: Manly.

Space Oddities

Kieron Gillen 14 years ago

Spent last week reviewing UFO: Extraterrestrials for Eurogamer. Ended up being very mildly warm towards it, which was more than I was expecting. Because it's taking from such a well-conceived source - UFO: Enemy Unknown or X-COM: UFO Defence, depending on whether you're in Europe or the US*, it ends up often being highly entertaining because it's such a determined plagiarist. And God knows, everyone would like a decent successor to the Gollops' masterpiece.

I suppose that's one of the most interesting things about it. While true, it's not really fair to paint them as just plagarists. They're more akin to a covers band for a group who've long split. While other people have taken some stuff from X-COM - the UFO: Afterlight/Aftershock/Aftermath series - this is something that's deliberately much more faithful. Even then, it's not good enough. There's a determined mod community around the game who are increasingly altering closer and closer and closer to what they're actually looking for. In most mod communities, there's a clear division between the developers and people who like the game enough to want to mod it... but here, perversely, the fanbase for the game aren't actually the fanbase for the game. They're actually the fanbase of an entirely different game... exactly the same as the developers. They're like the Rabbis in Pi, searching for the name of God by re-arranging the alphabet of whatever.

Of course, it's interesting to wonder whether "A New X-Com" is even achievable.

:cawg:

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 5, 2021

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

loudog999 posted:

But where are the Mega Man designs hidden on them?

Cool, didn’t know that. Any other games do this?

From our own, Turok2 and Strife, plus any titles released from now as it's now part of our pipeline. Turok1 and Doom64 predate our understanding of how it worked, and Turok2 got updated because of our crossplay updates (though I may go back and fix it in Turok1 if I ever get bored).

I'm yet to find or hear of any of game that gets this right (though I haven't looked, outside of the obvious ones like Doom 2016).

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
metroid dread is great, but the question remains... where is metroid prime trilogy and metroid prime 4, thx?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's said that the remapping of the IR based controls of Prime 2/3 to stick/gyro is likely much more complicated than anyone thought and everyone just claiming it was for sure coming out any day was an idiot rumormonger with no real sources.

The latest rumor is that an enhanced version of Prime 1 is in the pipeline for release sometime before 4 comes out, similar to how Skyward Sword HD came out last year to help fill the gap while waiting for BOTW2.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Has then been any good sales numbers dropped for Metroid Dread yet? How long does does usually take to get released?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

https://twitter.com/Atlus_West/status/1456309534868185105?t=JUlXurwKyLjtKs5o7fp4oA&s=19

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the persona comparisons are dumb because SMT is better than Persona

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Zurtilik posted:

Has then been any good sales numbers dropped for Metroid Dread yet? How long does does usually take to get released?

None yet because Kotaku's piracy article halted all sales and Nintendo even revoked digital copies from people's Switch accounts they were so mad. Miyamoto was fired.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

It hurts my hands after an hour or so and I have tiny hands.

Pro controller is much more comfortable.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Detective No. 27 posted:

None yet because Kotaku's piracy article halted all sales and Nintendo even revoked digital copies from people's Switch accounts they were so mad. Miyamoto was fired.

Oh gently caress!

Guess Nintendo is going to pull out of the hardware sector finally.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Im sure it will do fine either way but if it sells over 3 million that will make me di happy eyebrow motions.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Zurtilik posted:

They just announced third quarter hardware and software sales, up through the end of September. So in like 3 months we'll hear the fourth quarter software sales? Maybe we'll hear sooner if they hit a milestone to brag about, I dunno if Nintendo does that much.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Superstars is literally what I wanted out of a Mario party this game owns. I still miss some of the Mario party 3 mini games tho

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
being able to spam line stickers is something i never knew i wanted but it rules

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's very good. I hope they add more playable characters and maps/games. They've been pretty generous with their free updates with other games but idk I can't get a feel for what their plan with Superstars is going forward.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

American McGay posted:

It's said that the remapping of the IR based controls of Prime 2/3 to stick/gyro is likely much more complicated than anyone thought and everyone just claiming it was for sure coming out any day was an idiot rumormonger with no real sources.

The latest rumor is that an enhanced version of Prime 1 is in the pipeline for release sometime before 4 comes out, similar to how Skyward Sword HD came out last year to help fill the gap while waiting for BOTW2.

You can play the Metroid Prime trilogy 100% fine today with a controller or kb&m on emulator (in fact it rules). It's hardly an insurmountable obstacle.

Also yeah new Mario Party rules, multi was flawless for me except for some slow players.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

American McGay posted:

It's very good. I hope they add more playable characters and maps/games. They've been pretty generous with their free updates with other games but idk I can't get a feel for what their plan with Superstars is going forward.

I still think mario party dlc is gonna be another nso expansion pack incentive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I find it very comfortable. Playing joycons akimbo means my hands can be wherever and they can fit in my hands however feels comfortable. Often that means a relaxed cupped hand that just happens to have fingers where they need to be for buttons, as comfortable as just having an empty hand. With controllers/handhelds I instinctively grip them tighter even if I don't need to for the weight, and with my large hands that gets painful after a while unless it's a properly large controller.

The great thing about multiple controller options is that everyone can pick what works for them.

Edit: I just noticed you specified handheld mode. I do play using my handheld screen a lot but with the joycons detached. With them attached it's heavy enough that I have the grip issues I mentioned.