Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

sleepwalkers posted:

i can't remember a single tv, computer, phone, or tablet that hasn't scaled lower resolutions up to fill the whole display, no matter the dpi. afaik that would at least need some conscious effort if not different hardware to work the way you're hoping it does.

the only thing i can think of is samsung has (had?) a one handed mode that did scale down the UI to a little window that i don't think went away unless you touched outside the area. obviously doesn't help you on a pixel, but that might be the best software option out there at the moment.

There used to be a way with Android 10 to alter the "padding". The code used to be something like this:

code:

wm overscan [reset|LEFT,TOP,RIGHT,BOTTOM]
    wm density [reset|DENSITY]

Unfortunately it doesn't work in Android 11 any longer and my coworker literally sobbed yesterday over it :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

e: misread article

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
There's nothing to do before selling a phone other than a factory reset, right? Don't think there is but just want to make sure.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Incessant Excess posted:

There's nothing to do before selling a phone other than a factory reset, right? Don't think there is but just want to make sure.

Log out of your Google account before doing a reset, otherwise it'll prevent the new user from setting up the phone without your credentials.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Log out of your Google account before doing a reset, otherwise it'll prevent the new user from setting up the phone without your credentials.

You only have to do that if you do a factory reset from recovery rather than within the OS. If you do it from within Android, it removes device protection automatically.

I mean, I often times still go through the setup afterwards without signing into an account just to be sure, but you shouldn't have to manually sign out.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Thank you, I did it with signing out first just in case.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

You only have to do that if you do a factory reset from recovery rather than within the OS. If you do it from within Android, it removes device protection automatically.

I mean, I often times still go through the setup afterwards without signing into an account just to be sure, but you shouldn't have to manually sign out.

I was gonna say, if you do a factory reset from the OS (that asks for your PIN/etc) you do not need to log out first.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I managed to break the account lock on a couple of phones at work that people left without signing out of. But not something you want to have to rely on

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
How are you Pixel 6 Pro folks liking the curved display so far? That's probably my biggest concern over the base model. My work is paying for it so price isn't an issue, but still kinda swayed towards the regular model right now.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's my first time using a curved display like this, and it seems fine. At least it's not bothering me. Almost gives it a bit of a "zero bezel" look, but I'm not sure it's anything super fantastic or annoying.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I would prefer flat, but most of my phones lately have been curved, so I just roll with it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

the two-layer clock sucks, and what sucks even more is that you get a different clock if you happen to have a notification. that doesn't make any sense. it's not progress, it's change for the sake of it and it's nonsensical, especially since when you have a notification they display a perfectly acceptable clock. give me that clock all the time

FWIW I agree, but we've been through it before back in like the Jelly Bean days, and we lived through it.

butt dickus posted:

i use google pay every morning to bring up my gym barcode that i hold up to an optical scanner, not NFC

Lockscreen shortcut it is, I guess. Honestly we should just count our blessings that they didn't get rid of loyalty cards when they went to the Indian app and blew up everything GPay was before. I'll agree the power button menu was the best thing about 11 though even if I never used the home controls simply because you didn't need to care about the context in order to access it.

butt dickus posted:

i use the flashlight, DND, auto-rotate, device control. i moved bluetooth, airplane mode and wifi toggles from the beginning but it still would be nice to have one more for the aforementioned google pay issue

I feel like it's so much easier to get a full grid of controls of eight that it trumps the six we had previously but muscle memory is a bitch.

butt dickus posted:

it's disingenuous to say that i'm pining for gingerbread. i've been using android since 2.1 and this is the first os upgrade i can remember where there have only been downsides. i can get over (and probably get used to) the ui changes, but utility and ease of use have decreased for what i thought was fairly regular usage

It's Google, this is what they do. I was just saying that if you give users the ability to keep things the same as they were then they will do so as long as they are allowed. If you're going to undergo projects like this it's better to do what they do and just let people complain because they're going to complain anyway. I can't help but feel that for Google, a company with ADHD and who always half-asses everything that it feels far more cohesive than I'd thought possible out of them. Plenty of minor tweaks could be made, sure, but in almost every case I think it's better than what it replaced which to me felt like it was laden in cruft and half-finished ideas. It's not perfect, but it's better than I thought they could do and honestly that's about all I hope to get out of them.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

UncleGuito posted:

How are you Pixel 6 Pro folks liking the curved display so far? That's probably my biggest concern over the base model. My work is paying for it so price isn't an issue, but still kinda swayed towards the regular model right now.

Touch wise it's a non issue. Not a huge fan of it distorting the edges for videos etc.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

XIII posted:

So, I'm one of the weird ones who actually like the new lockscreen clock, but, for some frustrating reason, the Always On Display doesn't wanna stay on. The settings all seem to be correct, but the screen still goes completely dark after a little while. Anyone else seeing this? (I'm on a P4XL fwiw)

https://www.androidpolice.com/messing-with-pixel-6-animations-can-cause-always-on-display-issues-heres-how-to-fix/

So, it seems like my lockscreen woes were being caused by having my animations set to 0.5x. Switched the Animator Duration scale back to 1x (left the other two alone at 0.5x) and it seems to have sorted out the issue.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UncleGuito posted:

It's totally fine, the curved edge doesn't bother me at all and it's a very pretty phone.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Remember the Pixel 2 and 3 display days? Screen lottery in effect.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

UncleGuito posted:

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Touch wise it's a non issue. Not a huge fan of it distorting the edges for videos etc.

Same. I mostly don't even notice it, honestly. But it also doesn't add any value for me, so I wished they'd have skipped it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

XIII posted:

So, I'm one of the weird ones who actually like the new lockscreen clock, but, for some frustrating reason, the Always On Display doesn't wanna stay on. The settings all seem to be correct, but the screen still goes completely dark after a little while. Anyone else seeing this? (I'm on a P4XL fwiw)

I had this issue when I had the beta version of digital wellbeing installed - uninstalling it sorted it

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
The P6Pro is my first phone with curved edges. Seems ultimately unobtrusive. I think it's giving me better success at the back gesture.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Interesting, I just experienced something on my P6P that I haven't seen before with either the Z Flip 3 or my OP9P. I don't know if this is a Pixel 6 thing or an Android 12 thing.

So, I'm using the AAWireless dongle in my cars to give me wireless android auto with the wired head units. With my past phones, I noticed that the Wifi icon was lit up on Android Auto at all times and I assumed it was because it was being weird about not understanding about the inbetween thing doing the wireless android auto.

But I did notice early on that I didn't see the wifi icon with the Pixel 6, so that was the first thing. Well tonight after I came home I pulled out my phone while still in the car to unlock my door and I noticed it flip from 5G to wifi connected, while Android Auto was still fully connected. At that point, I saw the wifi icon on the head unit status area. I verified and yes, it was connected to my home wifi network.

So, it seems that the P6P is capable of connecting to wireless android auto over wifi while at the same time maintaining a connection to normal wifi. I've never seen anything like that before on any phone.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Did they push out a change to the quick settings already? Mine is now 4 small icons instead of the 4 bug buttons by default. Much more notification room..

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
This sucks

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FunOne posted:

Did they push out a change to the quick settings already? Mine is now 4 small icons instead of the 4 bug buttons by default. Much more notification room..

Picture? I see no change on my Pixel 4 XL. It's still four smaller QSTs with a notification pane below and when the QSP is open eight expanded QSTs.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I got a Play Store update and I'm seeing this as the first pull down now instead of the larger 4 buttons. A second pull gives you the same 8 as before.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

FunOne posted:

I got a Play Store update and I'm seeing this as the first pull down now instead of the larger 4 buttons. A second pull gives you the same 8 as before.

lmfao. same amount of buttons but less context. the worst of both worlds

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Logan 5 posted:

This sucks

I can't believe Biden did this, and all because he hates Christmas :(

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

FunOne posted:

It's been like a week and I still can't believe just how ugly 12 is.

Swiping up on the lock screen to input my PIN seems easier, I used to often not swipe up enough, but that's about the only good thing I can say so far

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Turn display size down to the smallest and turn up the font to compensate. The buttons look a lot better this way imo.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

withoutclass posted:

Turn display size down to the smallest and turn up the font to compensate. The buttons look a lot better this way imo.
whoa! i like this better, thanks

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

FunOne posted:

every post about this makes me never want to upgrade from my pixel 2.

i still miss the splitscreen functionality from Android 10, it takes twice as many steps in 11. instead of holding down home for two seconds and immediately being able to pick which app to split with like in 10, i have to swipe up for the app switcher, hold down the tiny app logo and hope it gives me the option to splitscreen (and if not i have to go to the homescreen and start over). anything change for that in 12?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

withoutclass posted:

This is a pro tip, makes it much more tolerable.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

cage-free egghead posted:

This is a pro tip, makes it much more tolerable.

Agreed. I just switched to this and it makes everything so much better.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

withoutclass posted:

This is great save the part where I had to turn up the font another tick because I am old and it reminded me of the frailty of mortality.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Deathlove posted:

This is great save the part where I had to turn up the font another tick because I am old and it reminded me of the frailty of mortality.

Memento Mori.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
If I want to adjust my alarm, I can't just tap on the time anymore? I have to find the clock app and do it from there?

Everything is both big and useless

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There's an Alarm button you can add to the shade, but I agree, pressing the clock was nice.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I hate how when something UI or UX related in Android works well you know it's just a matter of time until it gets hosed with.

I was close to pulling the trigger on a Pixel 6, but Android 12 has me looking at iPhones instead. Who the gently caress thought this was good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, if that's the direction you want to go and are sure of what you are getting into, go for it.

It seems like accepting iOS's notification system over some UI changes is like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I've had a iPhone that my company bought me lying around for a year now and I have the new iPad mini for 2 months and I still do not fundamentally understand how notifications are grouped and why dismissing them doesn't always really dismiss them.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

butt dickus posted:

lmfao. same amount of buttons but less context. the worst of both worlds

And now... It's gone and back to what it was before. What the gently caress Google?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The current internet freakout is the fact that the Google Foldable has been shown to use the same IMX363 sensor as the Pixel 5 and below. Nevermind the fact that the GN1 wouldn't fit without making the phone like 50% thicker than the Z Fold 3 and using the IMX363 lets them reuse all of the tuning that they've developed over the years.

Personally, I think it's great news because it would instantly make it the foldable with the best camera since the Fold and Flip cameras are kinda crap.