Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I feel a covers bonerjam brewing here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

yeah Pollyanna's cover slaps hard. put that poo poo in the OP or somethin

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

My Lovely Horse posted:

I feel a covers bonerjam brewing here

Would be so so down

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

toadee posted:

Would be so so down

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

toadee posted:

Would be so so down

:same:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:dogcited: goons helping gooooooooooons

Thank you so much for all the positive feedback!!!

B33rChiller posted:

Yo, this was a great effort and joyous result. Keep it up!

I'd like to read and listen to what Agreed posted, but it will have to wait for the morning.

I'll just drop off tonight's experiment before bed.
Tonight I learned that I could sequence hardware with vcv rack via midi, so I patched a little something together to try it out. Drum sounds are from an un-synced pocket operator.

Woah, modular - been a bit wary of diving into that, but software should be fine (and cheap). I know basically nothing about it, so I can't tell if the progression is generated or if it's manually input. If it's the former, bit hard to talk about the melody since it's just up to the computer :v:

I like the spin on the core musical idea starting around 1:24, one of the coolest things I've seen done in tracks is to "echo" an idea with some sort of offset, like in Piano Phase. I'm not sure if that's exactly what you were going for there, but the offset track can sound really good if you differentiate it from the original somehow! e.g. by panning it, reducing the volume, or some other combination.

1:54 is also cool - it adds some emphasis to the off-beat that could work particularly well if it was represented as a different instrument. One that cuts in to add emphasis to something that's otherwise not hinted at by the rest of the composition (I think? I'm a noob). That adds enough variety and unexpected results that can still be identified as a pattern.

2:44 with its high pass (right?) makes it sound like '30s era low-fi, almost Cuphead-ish. :v: Kind of like a demented trumpet or sax or tuba or something.

Then once it starts sounding closer to an electric guitar at the end, that's cool. I'd totally use that as an instrument in something after fiddling with ADSR 'n stuff!

The swing(?) on the PO at the end also sounds dope. I'd totally mix that with the low-fi effect and make some sorta 70s era jazz fuckery. :v:

Martytoof posted:

You knocked this OUT of the PARK! Holy moly. This is the content I needed after a crappy start to the work week. Not trying to BS you, it's super amazing to see someone diligently apply themselves to figure out a thing and have a ton of fun doing it, publicly!

Tyty so much :kimchi:

quote:

This was such an amazing idea you guys. I'm in a serious creative rut where nothing I make sounds good, my sampling is just me bonking keys and saying "meh" and a general lack of creativity is really slowing my development, mixed with growing guilt that I'm doing nothing with my GAS-induced pile of electronics. What I'm going to say is not in ANY way intended to diminish what Pollyanna achieved: I'm going to really mimic the approach that led to their creation and just try to remove my songwriting "inspiration" from the mix by covering something I already like in a new and creative way.

poo poo, I don't mind at all. I actually think people should take inspiration from others, including both what they actually produce and the workflow+techniques they use. I don't like it when people say "oh don't do what XYZ artist does, you'll just sound like them" - what's the problem with that? Their stuff sounds good! Why not analyze it? And those people miss the fact that they themselves took inspiration from others, as did their idols and their idols' idols.

The reality is that all music today is a result of standing on the shoulders of giants, which are themselves just a bunch of humans standing on each other all the way down. Sure, if you want to produce something unique and particular to yourself it's a good idea to iterate meaningfully. But for learning, practice, and exercise, there's nothing wrong with imitation and remixing.

quote:

Or heck, not even new and creative -- just figuring out how to make it sound good to me, whether that's close to the original or a new take. Figuring out how to make something sound cool is much easier when I don't have the added burden of trying to come up with a song to tie it together, which is ultimately what always puts me off. I'm not a good songwriter so I get frustrated very easily which leads to less time with my gear which means I'm not building critical muscle memory which means when I AM in the mood to create something I am constantly struggling with my gear which I don't know how to make sound like I want. An amazing circle of frustration :)

Removing the first part of the equation may be exactly what I need to get me moving forward!. At the very least maybe it'll get me away from "hummmmm what sounds good" to "ok this sounds good how do I make it"

A bit of advice here: covers are good for trying to understand what something does (and, ideally, learning why). But for creativity and exploration, remixing - taking independent ideas from something and warping/reorganizing them in some way - is at least a lot more fun.

I originally started out by just straight-up covering the song in the original Puyo Puyo soundfont. That wasn't engaging at all, and I ended up in a rut pretty drat quickly. The end result took a different tack entirely - I made an unordered grab bag of tiny 2-bar musical ideas from the song, then tracked/sequenced them in a way that sounded decent to my ears. Only once I built up that librarby of parts did I start making something interesting.

Way I see it, music composition is more like sculpting marble or drawing a map than it is painting or writing. There's something good hidden in there, you just have to tease it out and go in interesting (not necessarily new) directions to find it. Everyone says "oh just express yourself!!" but that's not what I do at all - I'm helping the music express itself instead. I just drew a map for it.

I think that's more engaging and fun than starting with a blank page. A lot more accessible, too!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Daaaag that's a lot more detail than I expected. Which is good! I need a touchstone to start building a workflow off of, so the more the better. The whole thing is great (way more than I can respond to right now tho), but in particular, this:

Agreed posted:

Speaking of, EQ is so important. I use a lot of EQs (I prefer Neve emulations for shelving EQs, and IKMM and Black Rooster Neve type plugins are both on this track a lot). But to tame spikes and prevent material from being too spiky without overcompressing the whole thing, I like dynamic EQ. Personally, I am a huge fan of GlissEQ by Voxengo. I love its graphical presentation, love its filter types, love its dynamic behavior (helps to make EQ changes program-dependent, which can be really useful in keeping the character of a sound but reducing certain elements carefully). If my stuff sounds smoother it's because GlissEQ lets me not just hear but see where frequency spikes are occurring and address them easily in the context of the mix - it can even show multiple tracks' spectra overlaid, so you can see "oh, this one's really peaking at the same time as that one in that frequency range, maybe I could cut that and see if it gels better" (etc.)

is something I need to build up. We don't have a music composition or a mixing/music production thread, so this is my blind spot. Sure, I could load up these FX chains, but I don't know what to do with them other than "haha peak go down" or "haha noise go woom (woom (woom (woom)))". It helps a lot to explain why something is done!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLA5s0P3KEA

Oh my goodness this is sick.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That guy's videos keep popping up in my recommendations and I can't get over how fun it looks to run a guitar through the sp-404. Shame my gimpy wrists can't really handle playing anymore.

This one is pretty neat too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8e6SP1qt4g

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Wow, Pollyanna, you put more thought andeffort into your analysis than I did in creating that.
I used a neat sequencer called ions for the pitch and an emulation of grids to generate the rhythm in vcv rack. Sent that via midi to a semi modular monosynth fed through an Amazon compressor pedal, a sub n up octaver, and a cheap metal distortion pedal.
I just randomized the knobs on ions and hit go. Then I fiddled with knobs to see what happens.
My actual key playing skills are still very very beginner, but I am learning. Getting lots of practice in.

ETA a video showing a bit of my messing aroundhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJqPI2foVo0
and the recording https://soundcloud.com/beer-chiller/3nov?si=bd1d3da06dff4b72a8f0fd998ec0f864

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 4, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
so uhhh...what’s the deal with this new MiniKORG?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

IDK but check out the Korg rep from Yuzo Koshiro.

https://twitter.com/yuzokoshiro/status/1453385441470607366?s=21

:allears:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

korg opsus

amogus

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

All those synths he has to be a rep. :ducks:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

He could at least do some patch demos then!!!!!!!!! :v:

For content: the more I play with my Volca Drum, the more I realize I have no idea how to make percussive patches. Kicks are simple, one layer of a quick attack quick release noise, and one layer of a long release bass oscillator. Hi-hats are just the noise per, with some difference in release. Snares and toms, I have no idea. Anything else I basically don’t know even exists.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 4, 2021

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
toms are just kicks but smaller :smugbert:

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Snares are a short transient square wave w/ noise, but you make the square atonal w/ off ration FM or something. Toms are that w/ less noise and more tonality (and usually a deeper core).

Claps are really cool, sort of a burst generator and noise. Filtering noise differently or using different noise types (e.g. red v white) lets you get different things on the clap - shaker - hi hat spectrum.

Synth secrets has great segments on this, and another good place to go is people doing teardowns of 808s/909s.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Any tonal aspect of a drum sound has got a pitch envelope bending it down. Start and end pitch and the curve and time between them make all the difference. Maybe that's obvious, but no one mentioned it, so there.

Don't know if you can still download drumatic 3 anywhere or if it will work in renoise, but it's a good plugin to get a grasp on the basics.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

JamesKPolk posted:

Snares are a short transient square wave w/ noise, but you make the square atonal w/ off ration FM or something. Toms are that w/ less noise and more tonality (and usually a deeper core).

Claps are really cool, sort of a burst generator and noise. Filtering noise differently or using different noise types (e.g. red v white) lets you get different things on the clap - shaker - hi hat spectrum.

Synth secrets has great segments on this, and another good place to go is people doing teardowns of 808s/909s.

for really good claps you want to have multiple amp envelopes cascading down so instead of a single short burst of noise its four (or more!!) closely spaced bursts and for the really really good claps you want a fifth noise layer with a long tail to emulate reverb.

edit: anyways im gonna reiterate that the 01/IV is the best modern drum synth out there and its all over this track /flex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAKkbQv6HtI

Mr. Sharps fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 5, 2021

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Mr. Sharps posted:

for really good claps you want to have multiple amp envelopes cascading down so instead of a single short burst of noise its four (or more!!) closely spaced bursts and for the really really good claps you want a fifth noise layer with a long tail to emulate reverb.

Burst generator as in it generates a burst of triggers

https://learningmodular.com/glossary/burst-generator/

Though I will say I have been very surprised with how much I was able to do with the right noise and the right single envelope. Its not a real (synth) clap or a snare but it did a lot more work than I expected

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

Any tonal aspect of a drum sound has got a pitch envelope bending it down. Start and end pitch and the curve and time between them make all the difference. Maybe that's obvious, but no one mentioned it, so there.

It sounds very fake but interesting to do the opposite sometimes. Gives you kind of a faux tabla thing. Up there with like gated reverb though for you hearing it and thinking "thats not a real instrument"

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Fortunately one of the envelope options on the Volca Drum is a burst generator.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

JamesKPolk posted:

Burst generator as in it generates a burst of triggers

https://learningmodular.com/glossary/burst-generator/

Though I will say I have been very surprised with how much I was able to do with the right noise and the right single envelope. Its not a real (synth) clap or a snare but it did a lot more work than I expected

ah yes ofc ofc. though now im thinking of how you'd patch up a burst generator. two independent S&H signals going into a comparator with a decaying offset would be the first way i'd try, but my modular is currently set up for a track so someone else is going to have to try instead

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Mr. Sharps posted:

ah yes ofc ofc. though now im thinking of how you'd patch up a burst generator. two independent S&H signals going into a comparator with a decaying offset would be the first way i'd try, but my modular is currently set up for a track so someone else is going to have to try instead
I pick the module from count modula that sez "burst generator" on it. Emulation is lovely. I had no idea they were used for claps! I've just been using it for ratcheting.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

B33rChiller posted:

I pick the module from count modula that sez "burst generator" on it. Emulation is lovely. I had no idea they were used for claps! I've just been using it for ratcheting.

oh yeah realistically thats what i'd do. i think out of the three things that count as "envelope generators" in my case all of them have a mode that works as an envelope triggered by a burst generator, but its fun to think about how to patch those sorts of things up from less complex parts, and i find doing those sorts of exercises is very useful for triggering bursts (ho hoho) of inspiration

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i started working on a drum machine patcher patch mostly for the fun of it a while back when practicing digital drum synthesis

here’s a thing i made with it

https://soundcloud.com/all-caps-rin/idmwip

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is it still GAS if you work for the company and they give you gear?

I'd argue not because you probably have a use for all of it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh wow, I didn’t know the 808 was analog synthesis. I guess the Drum is closer to the 808 than I thought!

Thanks for the percussion advice - that reminder about Synth Secrets is particularly important, wish it came in book form or that I at least had an iPad to read it on or something. I’ll finally try to work through that thing!!!

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

One way of doing a Snare Drum:

https://voca.ro/17wfHFNNt9Pk

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I could figure out what exactly is happening there but it just seems like such a pain in the rear end. Great drum though!

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
No joke, you can follow those old Nord modular tutorials with something else and still get really great results. They're crammed full of all sorts of synth secrets you can use with other synths too.

https://www.cim.mcgill.ca/~clark/nordmodularbook/nm_book_toc.html

snorch fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 5, 2021

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

Oh wow, I didn’t know the 808 was analog synthesis. I guess the Drum is closer to the 808 than I thought!

Thanks for the percussion advice - that reminder about Synth Secrets is particularly important, wish it came in book form or that I at least had an iPad to read it on or something. I’ll finally try to work through that thing!!!

Someone created a pdf from it, so if you search for that and your e-reader can handle pdf, try that.

I sincerely hope the 56K DSP team does the Nord Modular next. You can theoretically do a lot of those patches already in VCV Rack, but the Nord Modular is a special digital beast.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

toadee posted:

One way of doing a Snare Drum:

https://voca.ro/17wfHFNNt9Pk

more computing power in that one patch than in the average drummer's mind

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The Voice of Labor posted:

more computing power in that one patch than in the average drummer's mind

It is a very nice drum.

What is that, Plog Bidule?

I used to love the old weekly article in the DC city paper that always had the drummer jokes. They were merciless.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Mood for today:

I love those little Melodica keys!

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

petit choux posted:

It is a very nice drum.

What is that, Plog Bidule?

I used to love the old weekly article in the DC city paper that always had the drummer jokes. They were merciless.

Nord Modular G1, I’ve used it nearly every day since I bought it new in 1998.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

toadee posted:

Nord Modular G1, I’ve used it nearly every day since I bought it new in 1998.

This is so cool

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Agreed posted:

This is so cool

I really can’t understand why they haven’t revived the Nord Modular stuff in a euro rack format. Like imagine putting a modular inside your modular with a ton of cv jacks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just arranged to buy a local 8U 19” studio equipment rack for my S3000XL to live in.

Those empty 6U will haunt me though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

You can always fill it up with utilities like patch bays power supply, pull out drawer for tools, cable organizer etc

Edit and get a rompler too imo