Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah the stuff in hs2's last update didn't so much read as "not picking up on it" as "still actively repressing and avoiding the topic", at least to me.

Re zero foreshadowing, well... guess how a lot of real life trans people work! I had wisps of thoughts about it for a lot of my life but i clamped down [i] hard[/] and never breathed so much as a hint of it to those around me, and it wasn't conscious thought at all until the few months before it finally hit me full force. I was 30. I barely had any warning, and no one who knew me had ANY inkling whatsoever.

There's a lot of ways to be trans and "suddenly figuring it out in your mid 30s" is a perfectly reasonable one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like I need to point out that I never said it wasn't foreshadowed or that I didn't pick up on it, that's not what my post was about

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I actually never knew about (or noticed) the foreshadowing and just figured it was a Hussie act of whimsy to make such an important character aspect the arbitrary result of a joke contest. Makes more sense now though.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

In a comic where a woman discusses her anxiety with having a literal dog penis that she used to secretly impregnate her lesbian friend (who is married) while two other characters laugh about it in the background, a character becoming canonically trans in the comic due to an ARG is way down on the list of poo poo That is Wrong With Homestuck.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
I liked the epilogues and wouldn't mind seeing the outline for HS2 that got ditched, but I don't know if whoever is still working on it knows why people ever liked homestuck to begin with. Also can someone start a rumour that the person who privately commissioned the rest of the comic is none other than George Lucas?

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

In a comic where a woman discusses her anxiety with having a literal dog penis that she used to secretly impregnate her lesbian friend (who is married) while two other characters laugh about it in the background, a character becoming canonically trans in the comic due to an ARG is way down on the list of poo poo That is Wrong With Homestuck.

Man I agree with this super hard, but it's pretty clear it's a trend to have this really bizarre humor about the topic that feels way too punching down for my liking.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think I'd have liked HS2 more if it focused on the Meat branch. The Candy branch's defining trait, in text, was "characters act in out-of-character ways and nothing is really allowed to matter", which makes setting a story there feel like a ludicrous choice that contradicted a lot of the premises set out by the Epilogues.

The Meat branch actually had the echoes of a plot (which never got to develop past its earliest stages), while Candy was just...zero stakes trolls vs. humans civil war that served as a backdrop to a bunch of uncaptivating dialogues between characters who mostly weren't funny or interesting, and that was the bulk of the updates.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Epilogues were interesting, and HS^2 had the difficult task of wrangling two separate stories with two sets of characters in a story that already had a shitload of characters, and then the new, unique characters that those two stories made (mostly Candy, granted).

It took like, a year for there to even be a hint of a shared thread between the two. It may have been wiser to have two comics with two teams and eventually bring them together once the thrust of the overarching plot was revealed. Like, a year of comics and we got a War is Happening and Dirk Wants to Start a New Session.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
yeah i liked the epilogues a lot and even think hs2 was interesting, it just started with way too much on its plate and always felt like it was a couple updates from Something but just kept having new plot threads it had to locate. id love for more to come out but who knows if thats real :shrug:

Burkion posted:

I feel like I need to point out that I never said it wasn't foreshadowed or that I didn't pick up on it, that's not what my post was about

ya ya i tried to hedge a lil once i realized how much i'd typed, definitely was somewhere between lore dumping and soapboxing and was like, wait poo poo that says "I haven't read the epilogue stuff regardless" gotta bring this one in for a bumpy landing somehow lmao

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

A thing I genuinely had trouble with in HS^2 was figuring out who was who and where. I wound up making a spreadsheet showing "Candy Dave is now a robot on the spaceship with Nepeta" and so on.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

NieR Occomata posted:

On one hand everything that seems to be coming out in the story seems like the funniest, stupidest, most pathetic and worthless fuckin’ poo poo ever, and that rules.

The characters constantly have no idea how to react to literally any external stimuli, but it's actually the writers. The writers don't know how to react to anything. It's like that one friend that makes every situation awkward no matter how benign it is. It's just not compelling writing. It may have been more endearing when they were literal 13 year olds, but now it's just embarrassing.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

having a trans identity struggle in the setting as the ending sets it up makes absolutely no goddamn sense when they have access to infinite alchemy and Godhood and could create a sex-swap potion in 2 seconds, nevermind that there's no real exploration of the society created on earth or what their politics around gender even are

it's just amazingly bad writing by people who never grew up past being 13 and treat the characters like they're still in that phase

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ok, and? How does "we have better medicine once you figure out you're trans" in any way make it unrealistic to struggle with the figuring it out part? In real life, some trans people know from a very young age, and they'd be greatly helped by living on earth c, but not all of us do!

The post canon content has its issues, but "not innately knowing everything about your identity and having to come to the realization over time" isn't one of them.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

the story did nothing to explore or set up any of that and instead they went with garbage like "lol Jade has a dick (that she could handle with alchemization probably but nevermind that story aspect)" because it was lovely fetish content that had zero interest in trans issues and exploration

so no I didn't respect it when John is suddenly trans

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
A fun contest regarding finding a hidden toblerone turning, between fans and writers, into a drama-filled mess about identity and retroactive reading of a character is the most homestuck goddamn thing

This comic is a zombie and should have stayed dead

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Jen X posted:

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

A friend of mine hit me up recently about starting Homestuck, cause he remembered how much I tried to get him to start it back in the day and how much I liked it. He started some video series of somebody reading it on youtube before I explained that this bitch is way too goddamn long, past its cultural relevance so you wont really have many people to talk to about it, poo poo the bed in the final acts, and never got close to having an ending. I told him it would be better to read Berserk, a good manga that will never finish because the author is meticulous and dead.

In essence,

Jen X posted:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Detective Buttfuck posted:

A friend of mine hit me up recently about starting Homestuck, cause he remembered how much I tried to get him to start it back in the day and how much I liked it. He started some video series of somebody reading it on youtube before I explained that this bitch is way too goddamn long, past its cultural relevance so you wont really have many people to talk to about it, poo poo the bed in the final acts, and never got close to having an ending. I told him it would be better to read Berserk, a good manga that will never finish because the author is meticulous and dead.

In essence,

You know

I wasn't expecting Berserk to cross into this, but I'm glad it did in this way.

Please get your friend to read Berserk.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Everybody gets the toblerone thing wrong

- Homestuck fans on Twitter come up with June Egbert, a theoretical post-transition John and it becomes popular among some fans, including a couple of people involved with hs^2
- Completely unrelated to this, Hussie hides some toblerones
- Random fan I'm dubbing "Tina" finds one
- Tina jokingly declares themselves the new author of Homestuck, further declares June Egbert is canon
- Hussie says "yeah sure why not"

Nobody won a contest, June Egbert was not a prize for a contest, there was no contest, it's all just silly bullshit compounded on more silly bullshit

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I still think Meat is well worth reading if you stayed through the end of Homestuck.

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!
I'm in the "trans Egbert was part of original Homestuck" camp, personally. To sum up one approach...

One theme of Act 1 is this preoccupation with an ideal forms of things, John having multiple instances of saying [thing] isn't a REAL [thing] unless it has xyz characteristics. "A fire BELONGS in a fireplace, categorically." One of those ends up being about masculinity, with John saying a gentleman without a monocle is a piss-poor excuse for such. From that you can tentatively gather that stuff like John saying the beaglepuss sucks as a disguise is like, John kind of grasping at this ideal of masculinity exemplified by Dad and getting frustrated that he can't seem to measure up to it (ie that masculinity feels "fake" on him).

Later it gets established that John has some kind of fear of heights: the first ogres appear after John experiences vertigo from almost falling off the stairs, and again after getting launched by the slime pogo. (Just like how Karkat suspected he was given a planet covered in his own blood as a form of torment, Sburb probably placed John's house on that needle plateau because of the fear of heights). This becomes relevant to Dad stuff after the ogre fight's over, when John is hesitating to jump down into Dad's room: it isn't just that John's nervous about entering the room for the first time, the descent itself makes John anxious. But I think this serves to establish that the fear of heights and anxieties around Dad are related somehow, if not synonymous -- they get associated again at the beginning of Act 5 Act 2, when dream John tries to jump over a canyon to reach Dad but wakes up mid-leap. The formal reason John waking up is Vriska of course, but ignoring her you're left with John approaching Dad and immediately experiencing vertigo. (The name "June" comes from Vriska contacting John shortly after this dream, incidentally)

This comes up again when John finds Dad's wallet and gets overwhelmed by the prospect of Manhood and the responsibilities it entails -- next thing you know John is flying around in Dad's car, having fun... and after the scene is interrupted by Seek the Highblood, we return to find John crashing the car (a fall from the sky) and talking with Vriska about dread surrounding societal expectations, and the possibility of rejecting them to pursue something different for yourself. John came into the scene worried (if quietly) about the expectations surrounding manhood, so the Vriska conversation retroactively makes those concerns seem more central.

The car crash is itself kind of a metaphor for that conversation's trajectory... like in Act 6 we see something analogous play out among the Dersites who have gotten into dapper-wear: one Dersite sits on a hat, panics about ruining it, and then begin to wonder if perhaps a crumpled hat could have an aesthetic value of its own. (Dirk expresses this sentiment more bombastically: "...the next best thing. By which you mean, the vastly superior thing.") Dad Crocker swoops in to condemn the crumpled hat, but the tentative revaluation of an apparent failure mode is something the scene shares with Vriska, who initially regards her ambivalence towards murder as a symptom of personal failure. John enters that conversation with a crumpled car, and from context we can guess John's revaluation concerns "failing" to be a man in the way Dad is, and how maybe that doesn't need to be considered a failure.

As laid out so far, I guess none of this quite entails trans-Egbert, since people can come at "anxiety around prospect of embodying masculine ideals" from a number of angles... but there are details around Seek the Highblood like Equius self-consciously roleplaying as a catgirl or John gazing out as Vriska's boots form a huge red X-marks-the-spot over her groin... which make me think self-deprecating thoughts like "I'm a failed man" are maybe comorbid with a budding sense of being a girl, in Egbert's case

There's other stuff but I think that's the simplest case for it.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

mmmmalo posted:

I'm in the "trans Egbert was part of original Homestuck" camp, personally. To sum up one approach...

One theme of Act 1 is this preoccupation with an ideal forms of things, John having multiple instances of saying [thing] isn't a REAL [thing] unless it has xyz characteristics. "A fire BELONGS in a fireplace, categorically." One of those ends up being about masculinity, with John saying a gentleman without a monocle is a piss-poor excuse for such. From that you can tentatively gather that stuff like John saying the beaglepuss sucks as a disguise is like, John kind of grasping at this ideal of masculinity exemplified by Dad and getting frustrated that he can't seem to measure up to it (ie that masculinity feels "fake" on him).

Later it gets established that John has some kind of fear of heights: the first ogres appear after John experiences vertigo from almost falling off the stairs, and again after getting launched by the slime pogo. (Just like how Karkat suspected he was given a planet covered in his own blood as a form of torment, Sburb probably placed John's house on that needle plateau because of the fear of heights). This becomes relevant to Dad stuff after the ogre fight's over, when John is hesitating to jump down into Dad's room: it isn't just that John's nervous about entering the room for the first time, the descent itself makes John anxious. But I think this serves to establish that the fear of heights and anxieties around Dad are related somehow, if not synonymous -- they get associated again at the beginning of Act 5 Act 2, when dream John tries to jump over a canyon to reach Dad but wakes up mid-leap. The formal reason John waking up is Vriska of course, but ignoring her you're left with John approaching Dad and immediately experiencing vertigo. (The name "June" comes from Vriska contacting John shortly after this dream, incidentally)

This comes up again when John finds Dad's wallet and gets overwhelmed by the prospect of Manhood and the responsibilities it entails -- next thing you know John is flying around in Dad's car, having fun... and after the scene is interrupted by Seek the Highblood, we return to find John crashing the car (a fall from the sky) and talking with Vriska about dread surrounding societal expectations, and the possibility of rejecting them to pursue something different for yourself. John came into the scene worried (if quietly) about the expectations surrounding manhood, so the Vriska conversation retroactively makes those concerns seem more central.

The car crash is itself kind of a metaphor for that conversation's trajectory... like in Act 6 we see something analogous play out among the Dersites who have gotten into dapper-wear: one Dersite sits on a hat, panics about ruining it, and then begin to wonder if perhaps a crumpled hat could have an aesthetic value of its own. (Dirk expresses this sentiment more bombastically: "...the next best thing. By which you mean, the vastly superior thing.") Dad Crocker swoops in to condemn the crumpled hat, but the tentative revaluation of an apparent failure mode is something the scene shares with Vriska, who initially regards her ambivalence towards murder as a symptom of personal failure. John enters that conversation with a crumpled car, and from context we can guess John's revaluation concerns "failing" to be a man in the way Dad is, and how maybe that doesn't need to be considered a failure.

As laid out so far, I guess none of this quite entails trans-Egbert, since people can come at "anxiety around prospect of embodying masculine ideals" from a number of angles... but there are details around Seek the Highblood like Equius self-consciously roleplaying as a catgirl or John gazing out as Vriska's boots form a huge red X-marks-the-spot over her groin... which make me think self-deprecating thoughts like "I'm a failed man" are maybe comorbid with a budding sense of being a girl, in Egbert's case

There's other stuff but I think that's the simplest case for it.

ok

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Eastbound just dropped, and now Deltarune Chapter II

I'm overloaded with Earthbound inspired media

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Deltarune released on itch.io.

https://twitter.com/keiyakins/status/1439019158696562691

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

[S] Cascade is 10 years old today. Feels like yesterday Hussie crashed Newgrounds.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Big internetgasm

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I still absolutely love God tier Jade's design. Honestly, just the With classpect in general

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I love the look of absolute joy on her face at the end, when she's juggling the planets.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The music for that one still whips rear end

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1450291368018862083

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1450295238707200001

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

I had a dream there was an official Homestuck audio drama. I don't remember much about it but there were two significant additions to the Canon.

Dave's room now had a wall where he hung up his skateboard collection, (which he has now). They had names such as The Malice and The Entity. The Entity was a queen-size bed with super-sized trucks bolted on to the underside. It was also hung on the wall with all the others.

Also, there was a mandate from On High that Dave must always have a pithy comment when his clothes get dirty from a fight. It was now the most recurring joke in the story.

I like to think this all came to me from a better timeline.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

catgirlgenius posted:

I had a dream there was an official Homestuck audio drama. I don't remember much about it but there were two significant additions to the Canon.

Dave's room now had a wall where he hung up his skateboard collection, (which he has now). They had names such as The Malice and The Entity. The Entity was a queen-size bed with super-sized trucks bolted on to the underside. It was also hung on the wall with all the others.

Also, there was a mandate from On High that Dave must always have a pithy comment when his clothes get dirty from a fight. It was now the most recurring joke in the story.

I like to think this all came to me from a better timeline.

But who was the voice of Dave?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

XkyRauh posted:

Foone.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

XkyRauh posted:

https://youtu.be/MKb3WLCSg_c

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I thought it was called Homestruck

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

jesus christ this video is 9 years old

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

paranoid randroid posted:

jesus christ this video is 9 years old
According to the comments it's a reupload of a private video, so it's probably slightly older than that.

EDIT: A followup from a different creator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUAjqyNqyqU

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 5, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

So, Hussie gave an interview. https://www.polygon.com/features/22674181/andrew-hussie-interview-homestuck-psycholonials

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm scared

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The creator's take on Psycholonials sure isn't mine. He's way more sympathetic to Z.

Otherwise, sorry Homestuck semi-destroyed his life.

e: The interview used he/him throughout, so I'm assuming that clowngender was one of his ironic things that he got tired of.