Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

this is incredibly underwhelming. a planeswalker that only cares about tokens and can't reliably create creature tokens. yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mandatory lesbian posted:

Congratulations on your ability to count
:confused:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Arivia posted:

this is incredibly underwhelming.

Kind of my feelings on the whole set thusfar

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Arivia posted:

this is incredibly underwhelming. a planeswalker that only cares about tokens and can't reliably create creature tokens. yikes.

i think they're probably overcorrecting on three mana planeswalkers as a delayed response to t3feri and oko

the new chandra is also somewhat weak

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I like it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
how many cards have we even seen that just make creature tokens in and of themselves in this set

like not some triggered ability, not a disturb, just a thing you can play t1 or t2 to curve into this kaya?

e: i looked at mythicspoiler and came up with 0, so there better be a lingering souls reprint or something in those last 70 cards to make this remotely playable even in limited

Arivia fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 5, 2021

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it doubles all tokens, not just creature tokens, so it works with all those blood tokens going around

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I think the set has improved a lot as spoilers have continued. I don't think it'll be the meta shakeup everyone wants as I doubt any of the pillars of the format are going away without a ban, but I think it's pretty likely there will be a good bit of movement in what's competitive or T1.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
It looks fun to draft. :shobon:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
i know i've said this about kaya and 3 mana walkers a bunch of times and been proven hella wrong each time

but that card seems bad

if they change her minus to straightup doubling season that's completely and utterly busted, right?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

If they don't reprint Lingering Souls in this set I swear to god.

I think this is good design, if narrow, and probably about the right power level for a 3 mana PW. I'm not mad at it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Mat Cauthon posted:

If they don't reprint Lingering Souls in this set I swear to god.

We've seen 0 flashback cards this set so far, and I don't expect that to change

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It wasn't included in the set mechanics.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Well that's unfortunate. I thought it was one of those things carrying over into both sets like Day/Night but c'est la vie.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Ok lingering souls but with disturb and a backside that's omen of the sun.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

I dig it, +1 seems good if you're going wide, forcing the opponent to let attacks through or give up blockers to deathtouch is a rough time. -2 means I think this is a build around like Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord. Ultimate isn't an insta-win but can be good if she stays on board to +1 again.

Also not the -2 isn't only for creature tokens. Applies to Blood, treasure and the rest. Also Awaken the Blood Avatars token is not legendary.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 5, 2021

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to be have a sensible chuckle if the day/night thing with a permanent full moon doesn't involve Emrakul in any way.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

adding "opponent hovers over Kaya with no creature tokens on board, then concedes" to the innistrad midnight vow limited bingo board. a lot of people are going to gently caress up the +1 on prerelease weekend

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

I'm going to be have a sensible chuckle if the day/night thing with a permanent full moon doesn't involve Emrakul in any way.

I think that whole thing was supposed to be the catalyst, but Emrakul isn't actively involved beyond that/doesn't care.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

LifeLynx posted:

The MTG stories for Crimson Vow state that Emrakul getting shoved into the moon was the catalyst for this particular occurrence, but the day/night balance getting weird every couple millennia is just one of those things that happens on Innistrad because that's just how spooky town works apparently.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I think the set has improved a lot as spoilers have continued. I don't think it'll be the meta shakeup everyone wants as I doubt any of the pillars of the format are going away without a ban, but I think it's pretty likely there will be a good bit of movement in what's competitive or T1.

idk, the last set wasn't really a huge meta shakeup, kaldheim wasn't a huge meta shakeup, I think standard has been getting progressively weaker since Eldraine. We haven't had anything strong come in and shake things up, we just have strong cards rotating out, making room for all the weaker cards, which then rotate out and make room for even weaker cards. Like, yeah we get that they feel REAL bad about everything in eldraine but drat, its like core set power level but triple the words

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Mat Cauthon posted:

The MTG stories for Crimson Vow state that Emrakul getting shoved into the moon was the catalyst for this particular occurrence, but the day/night balance getting weird every couple millennia is just one of those things that happens on Innistrad because that's just how spooky town works apparently.

I still think it's weird that the creative team went to that "day/night balance getting weird every couple millennia" idea twice, on two separate creative worlds.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Mat Cauthon posted:

I thought the whole deal with Midnight Hunt and the big metal sun thing the ritual was performed at was specifically that it's not supposed to get weird and someone messed it up and now it's being un-messed.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Lord_Magmar posted:

I thought the whole deal with Midnight Hunt and the big metal sun thing the ritual was performed at was specifically that it's not supposed to get weird and someone messed it up and now it's being un-messed.

According to https://mtg.fandom.com/wiki/Harvesttide_festival

Emrakul being in the moon goofed up day/night
Harvesttide Festival was supposed to ungoof it
Tovolar and his woofcrew tried to break it up but were defeated
Olivia swept in and stole the Moonsilver Key at the last minute, screwing up the ritual

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lord_Magmar posted:

Why would the metal thing even exist in the first place if it hadn't been needed before though?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Sinteres posted:

Why would the metal thing even exist in the first place if it hadn't been needed before though?

I was under the assumption the metal thing was how it got goofed in the first place and they were reversing that ritual with a new one. Partially because we always heard the nights on Innistrad were extra long and the harvest tide/pagan stuff was feeling like lost knowledge rediscovered only as things started getting even worse than usual for humans.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

LifeLynx posted:

I still think it's weird that the creative team went to that "day/night balance getting weird every couple millennia" idea twice, on two separate creative worlds.

What was the other one?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mat Cauthon posted:

What was the other one?

Lorwyn/Shadowmoor.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

A Moose posted:

yeah we get that they feel REAL bad about everything in eldraine but drat, its like core set power level but triple the words

im the sicko outside the window saying yes to this

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

A Moose posted:

kaldheim wasn't a huge meta shakeup

I think Kaldheim was the biggest shakeup we've had outside of a rotation since the pre-nerf companions debacle. After clover/omnath were gone, the meta had settled to Rogues, Green Food, Gruul Cleave/Henge, and Yorion Doom Foretold. The advent of Kaldheim and the tools it gave to Sultai Ultimatum pretty much pushed doom foretold out, but faceless haven + other cards let food to turn into snow stompy, gruul to mono-red, mono-white to be viable, and we also saw flavors of temur adventures and goldspan/unleash fury decks. The only pre-kaldheim deck that didn't change radically or get pushed out of the meta was rogues.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I feel like this standard meta is really quite varied, maybe as varied as standard can be, but it still feels boring to play because the smaller pool necessarily correlates to seeing the same decks/kinds of decks more frequently than in, say, modern or historic

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Standard decks are also a lot clunkier than modern or historic decks

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

This is goofy enough I'll try to jam it in my token deck. Don't know if it generates enough value to bother, particularly to replace orzhov usurper

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

ilmucche posted:

This is goofy enough I'll try to jam it in my token deck. Don't know if it generates enough value to bother, particularly to replace orzhov usurper
Yeah, this is a slam dunk for BW Tokens. She and Adeline / Jadar are gonna get along great.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Why does the geist hunter make spirits instead of, like, killing them

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Jen X posted:

Tbh the abilities of this card seem like they were made for a different planeswalker and given to kaya in a rush. She always struck me as removal focused and not tokens

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
she's been associated with making spirits here and there

i think the flavor is she's freeing them?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I’d love to see the population statistics of Innistrad, a plane that has gone through three apocalyptic events over 15 years on top of the already insane mortality rate of three intelligent species constantly hunting each other with a dash of zombies and psycho cannibal axe murderers added in.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Yeah, I mean, this is comparatively tame compared to Emrakul trying to assimilate everything, but there was a very short reprieve before things got apeshit again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jen X posted:

Job security