Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think that's just how Barry Keoghan talks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Thinking on it some more, the only other thing I've seen him in was...Dunkirk? I don't really remember his character talking but I certainly could just not like his speaking voice.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
And i also wanted to say Sprites actions make perfect sense she was trapped as an Eternal child, unable to enjoy the world but she clearly had the same mind as everyone else so her being in love with Ikaris and deciding to go with him and then at the end giving up her immortality so she can experience life truly made total sense. Though too bad we'll never see her and Loki interact, that would be pretty fun. I just saw some people complaining about her actions not making sense.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Crosspost from CD:

saw Eternals a bit earlier tonight. I enjoyed it overall, but I can definitely see where the more negative reviews are coming from; it’s just trying to do too much in terms of character introductions, backstory, and mythology for its running time, and its more ambitious aspects are at odds with its frequently retreating into franchise tropes (i.e. underlit fight scenes against hordes of CG cannon fodder, quips that interrupt key narrative beats). also, a few of the ensemble, Madden and Keoghan in particular, are not exactly doing their best work here. Overall, it should have been a Disney+ series instead; probably wouldn’t have solved every problem, but the additional 90-120 minutes would have helped.

will also add that the film has no real idea what it wants to do with the Deviants beyond “well, they were a big part of the source material and we need some action in the first two acts.” There’s a limp gesture or two at tying them more closely to what turn out to be the actual themes of the film, but unfortunately it doesn’t amount to more than that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Was worth seeing in 3D after sneaking out of a $5 showing of Ghostbusters ‘84. Lot of gorgeous scenery. Wasn’t like Guardians or Doctor Strange where the 3D pops, but it enhanced the experience more subtly.

It’s an epic that’s played very personally, and I admire that. The movie is far from great, but I enjoyed the various characters and their interactions.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I wonder how long until we get cosplay for Gilga-Mess.

I still have to digest it, but the movie didn't do much for me. I appreciate the effort, but yeah, I'd rather watch Thor 2 over again. It's on the bottom of the MCU list for now.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Hey, not to be "that guy" but your third spoiler tag is broken. I'm not upset because I didn't read through it, but you may want to fix it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CzarChasm posted:

Hey, not to be "that guy" but your third spoiler tag is broken. I'm not upset because I didn't read through it, but you may want to fix it.

I fixed it. Thanks for pointing it out.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

far from the biggest problem with the film, but I should also add that the CG for Pip the Troll, voiced by Patton Oswalt, is absolutely awful, some of the worst I've seen in the entire franchise

another spoiler for the same credits scene: I didn't think they were going to keep Eros being Thanos' brother, but nope, it explicitly says that he is

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 5, 2021

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Trying to avoid reading this thread much as I'm walking in to Eternals tomorrow so sorry if this has been answered:

How many post-credit sequences? The standard two, mid-credit and final?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yes. Two.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

another spoiler for the same credits scene: I didn't think they were going to keep Eros being Thanos' brother, but nope, it explicitly says that he is

To go along with that, I never thought they'd straight up say Thanos was an Eternal, but here we are.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CzarChasm posted:

Oh poo poo sorry, at least that was a fairly minor spoiler. I thought I'd had checked them before finalizing the post.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Gavok posted:

I still have to digest it, but the movie didn't do much for me. I appreciate the effort, but yeah, I'd rather watch Thor 2 over again. It's on the bottom of the MCU list for now.

Yeah, I was trying to summarize my feelings but this kind of nailed it. Not terrible, but not really something I'd ever want to watch again. I was lukewarm on Shang-Chi (the bus scene was good!) and pretty cold on Black Widow, so I guess I'm waiting for the new Spiderman (my favorite character in the MCU, and maybe favorite cape in general?) to see if I've just gotten bored of the formula or if I just didn't like these couple films specifically.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

One thing I did really like was how they set up Druig as a total red herring. That scene of him leaving the group, angrily refusing to stop using his powers, is framed as such a moment to set him up as a villain for the third act. Not just a villain, but the same old "_______ was right" kind of villain that we've been seeing a bit too much of these days. It was refreshing that while he's still an rear end in a top hat and he still uses his powers, he did gradually realize WHY he shouldn't overuse them on a global scale.

And speaking of cliches, the moment Ikaris was compared to Superman should have been the biggest red flag. You know how Hollywood loves to depict Superman types these days.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

re: what I said above about the Deviants: thinking it through, Kro shouldn't have even been a secondary antagonist in the third act. the third act should have involved Sersi et al. recognizing their common foes, reaching out to him, and striking a truce with him to help form the Uni-Mind and stop Ikaris and the Emergence. instead, what we get basically amounts to "well, yeah, the Deviants were screwed over by the Celestials too, but they're still evil and we need to kill them anyway," which is incoherent and significantly muddles the ostensible themes of the movie

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Barry Convex posted:

re: what I said above about the Deviants: thinking it through, Kro shouldn't have even been a secondary antagonist in the third act. the third act should have involved Sersi et al. recognizing their common foes, reaching out to him, and striking a truce with him to help form the Uni-Mind and stop Ikaris and the Emergence. instead, what we get basically amounts to "well, yeah, the Deviants were screwed over by the Celestials too, but they're still evil and we need to kill them anyway," which is incoherent and significantly muddles the ostensible themes of the movie

Yeah, the story would have been both much simpler and more satisfying if, after Kro gained sapience, the Eternals teamed up with him. Maybe even get some brief conflict out of Thena not wanting to agree to that after Gilgamesh's death.

The other thing I can't really square is Kingo just leaving before the final battle. I appreciate it intellectually as a moment of division in the Eternals, showing that they're not all of one mind (heh) and a moment of character for Kingo, showing that he'll defend his family even when they're doing something he disagrees with, but him not coming back at the end to help in any way was kind of off to me, especially after Karun's final words to the rest of the group thanking them for trying. And then to see him just show back up to take care of Sprite afterwards was weird.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Shirkelton posted:

Significantly worse.

Also, I thought it was funny that Kingo was such a big part of the marketing and pre-release stuff when they literally just exist to tell you everyone else's motivations and then book it out of the film before the big final fight. The main antagonist does more to help the heroes than he does.

King-o did a Dip-o?

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

But you see, he's ugly, so

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Barry Convex posted:

Arist posted:

Yeah, the story would have been both much simpler and more satisfying if, after Kro gained sapience, the Eternals teamed up with him. Maybe even get some brief conflict out of Thena not wanting to agree to that after Gilgamesh's death.

The other thing I can't really square is Kingo just leaving before the final battle. I appreciate it intellectually as a moment of division in the Eternals, showing that they're not all of one mind (heh) and a moment of character for Kingo, showing that he'll defend his family even when they're doing something he disagrees with, but him not coming back at the end to help in any way was kind of off to me, especially after Karun's final words to the rest of the group thanking them for trying. And then to see him just show back up to take care of Sprite afterwards was weird.

It would have taken me out of the movie if the Eternals formed a truce with the Deviant that killed two of their members. Also while I was disappointed in Kingo sitting out, it made sense; he didn't want to take sides and fight his family.

Overall I enjoyed the movie although I wish Gilgamesh kissed Thena onscreen to better establish that they're in a relationship together. Felt odd not showing that after Ikaris and Sersi's love scene. Also wished we got more of Phastos and Mekkari. The black members of the group showing last didn’t sit well with me.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/cheryllynneaton/status/1456725274062635011?s=20

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Just pour some essential oils on her and get her back on set.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Jamesman posted:

Just pour some essential oils on her and get her back on set.

horse wormer might work too.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Desperado Bones posted:

We won't know that it doesn't until she tries it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Also i must say for as long as I've known the Eternals existed, I've thought Ikaris was pronouced Eye-Car-Es, and not Icarus.

Thinking about some stuff because we know more about the Celestials in the MCU and their place in the ecosystem, like with Ego being one I think that maybe the world Ego was placed as a seed was destroyed prematurely and so only the brain existed, so he needed to grow uniquely. He was aware he was a celestial, but different, that's why he's a planet and not a big space god

Then going on the mid credits Titan was also seeded but whatever happened to kill everyone caused the seed to stop growing and it became dormant. Because Eros says he was the brother of Thanos makes me think their Eternals were more integrated with their people, which maybe why their tech was advancing faster and going to the tech singularity which would cause the ruin Thanos was worried about. Starfox became part of the ruling family or whatever family Thanos was a member of.

Just throwing out some stuff, trying not to the most outlandish thing like Galactus confirmed due to one frame of some montage.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Desperado Bones posted:

There is a human ivermetcan

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Mr Hootington posted:

There is a human ivermetcan

And yet feed stores across America were selling out of the paste version...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The human one needs a prescription.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

You gotta have worms to get a de-wormer prescription(from a doctor with scruples at least) what a pickle!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Sgt. Politeness posted:

And yet feed stores across America were selling out of the paste version...

A number of these stories and the stories of hospitals being inundated with people taking the horse version ended up being proven false. Rolling stones had to retract the one article that got a lot of clicks. It turned out most of the initial junk was a lie made up by the media and some people ended up culture war bullshitting into taking some of the horse paste. It was never very widespread. People were asking for the human version due to the flawed study and because we live in the dumbest timeline all the rich elites who get covid talk about how they are getting every drug from regeneron miracle juice (thr stuff that works) to ivermetican (the stuff that doesnt) and they tell people look I'm better you decide what fixed itignore me being quadruple vaxed too pleb!

Aphrodite posted:

Some doctors will give patients whatever they ask for and you can shop around if your first doctor says no.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 6, 2021

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mr Hootington posted:

A number of these stories and the stories of hospitals being inundated with people taking the horse version ended up being proven false. Rolling stones had to retract the one article that got a lot of clicks. It turned out most of the initial junk was a lie made up by the media and some people ended up culture war bullshitting into taking some of the horse paste. It was never very widespread.

Basically like Tide pods and toilet licking.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Basically like Tide pods and toilet licking.

Yes. I made fun of the horse paste too, but when I found out about the retract and the lies I was angry

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

Yes. I made fun of the horse paste too, but when I found out about the retract and the lies I was angry

Which is a shame because it devalues the very real argument that human de-wormer will not save them from a virus like my aunt seems to think.

Edit: Anyway aside from this derail, I really liked Eternals, like more than I thought I would. It was a nice change, not so samey I guess. I don't know.

Also I feel vindicated in thinking this movie was going to ultimately boil down to "what DC was trying to do but done better"

Double Extra Edit: VVVVVV maybe?!

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 6, 2021

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

You gotta have worms to get a de-wormer prescription(from a doctor with scruples at least) what a pickle!

Brain worms count?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

A number of these stories and the stories of hospitals being inundated with people taking the horse version ended up being proven false. Rolling stones had to retract the one article that got a lot of clicks. It turned out most of the initial junk was a lie made up by the media and some people ended up culture war bullshitting into taking some of the horse paste. It was never very widespread. People were asking for the human version due to the flawed study and because we live in the dumbest timeline all the rich elites who get covid talk about how they are getting every drug from regeneron miracle juice (thr stuff that works) to ivermetican (the stuff that doesnt) and they tell people look I'm better you decide what fixed itignore me being quadruple vaxed too pleb!

Uh, not quite. It has turned out that one story was a lie, but that story is quite recent and well after the ivermectin craze had begun.

The Rolling Stone article was just aggregating an interview a single identified doctor gave claiming Oklahoma ERs were inundated with ivemectin ODs. He claims the reporter twisted his words, but in any case it was retracted for not being true. That was in September.

The claims in that one about it causing gunshot victims not to have beds was why it got picked up everywhere, but there have been numerous reports coming out from state health departments and poison control centers about significant uptick in ivermectin cases.

The run on ivermectin had begun way before that. The recommendations against it from the manufacturer and medical bodies to try to get people to stop trying to get it began as early as like January.

Ivermectin ODs are not crippling healthcare systems. Idiots buying up ivermectin and having adverse reactions is and was a thing.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Uh, not quite. It has turned out that one story was a lie, but that story is quite recent and well after the ivermectin craze had begun.

The Rolling Stone article was just aggregating an interview a single identified doctor gave claiming Oklahoma ERs were inundated with ivemectin ODs. He claims the reporter twisted his words, but in any case it was retracted for not being true. That was in September.

The claims in that one about it causing gunshot victims not to have beds was why it got picked up everywhere, but there have been numerous reports coming out from state health departments and poison control centers about significant uptick in ivermectin cases.

The run on ivermectin had begun way before that. The recommendations against it from the manufacturer and medical bodies to try to get people to stop trying to get it began as early as like January.

Ivermectin ODs are not crippling healthcare systems. Idiots buying up ivermectin and having adverse reactions is and was a thing.

The hysteria revolving around ivermetcin was not justified in anyway. Nearly twice the number of people poisoned by ivermectin overdose for the year died of covid yesterday.

One of the original poison control stories ended up having a major correction. The Mississippi poison control having 70% of all calls be ivermectin? Actually it was 2%

Here is the data for the last 3 years. An increase, but not the epidemic we were told.

Edit: none of this matters. Just culture ware bullshit.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 6, 2021

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Do none of you fuckers actual read the articles? Wright got hurt in a stunt rig and is already out of the hospital.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

howe_sam posted:

Do none of you fuckers actual read the articles? Wright got hurt in a stunt rig and is already out of the hospital.

drat, ivermectin works wonders!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

howe_sam posted:

What the gently caress was she doing in a hospital?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

Yes but the antivaxx jokes are funnier than just going "I hope she's alright from her [injury]"