Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Haven't seen Eternals yet but my reading of the basic synopsis is that it seems to be more natural that the Deviants are oppressed good guys and the Eternals and the Celestials are the bad guys keeping them down.

I know that's not the comics lore but that's what the story set up suggests to me.

And if that's not the story, the Eternals are just good guys waiting for the threat they're supposed to punch and laser, it seems a bit...boring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Mat Cauthon posted:

Alfie Allen is great, that guy deserves to get way more work. Richard Madden was decent in the Elton John thing.

The other young actors on GOT were decent to great depending on how good the writing and plotting was, but when the last ~3 years of the show took a dive it became clear who was actually not that good. I imagine it much be tough to get the breathing room to develop as a serious actor when you're always going to be that person from GOT. Also seems like some of them came out of it borderline traumatized.

At least the money was good.

I love that his sister made a pop song that shamed him so deeply he became a good actor

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Alan Smithee posted:

He also made a rape joke at comic con which was uhh

Presumably in english, though?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Mr. Apollo posted:

lol I just found out that Firpo is the last name of one of the screenwriters and not an Eternal.

I feel bad for the guy(and his cousin who also wrote it). Ive worked with Matt before and hes genuinely a talented and cool guy and this was his first big Hollywood screenplay. He's like Zhao where he comes from pretty "outside the norm" for these types of movies.

From what I understand from things hes said too is that this script was actually not originally an MCU movie and they adapted a broader concept he had written into fitting with Eternals, kind of like Die Hard 3. Zhao also is credited as a writer and she said she reworked the original script as well and to fit her style more.

In general theres definitely a lot of too much going on and clashing and it seems obvious why.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Now I desperately want an MCU take on the Die Hard 3 plot.

Gotta include Nick Fury, too. Running to answer ringing payphones in New York to stop Adam Warlock from robbing the Federal Reserve.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Is moebius guaranteed MCU? I really don’t care for Jared Leto

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Alan Smithee posted:

The film Morbius exists in Sony's Spider-Man Universe, which at last check was part of the Marvel Multiverse (but not Earth-19999, the Marvel Cinematic Universe).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Alan Smithee posted:

If it were, would this development lessen your enjoyment of I dunno, rewatching guardians of the galaxy, or make using your avengers lunchbox give you a poorly tummy?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

garycoleisgod posted:

Haven't seen Eternals yet but my reading of the basic synopsis is that it seems to be more natural that the Deviants are oppressed good guys and the Eternals and the Celestials are the bad guys keeping them down.

I know that's not the comics lore but that's what the story set up suggests to me.

And if that's not the story, the Eternals are just good guys waiting for the threat they're supposed to punch and laser, it seems a bit...boring?

I'm probably the millionth guy to point this out but it's p. funny that for all the noise around the LGBT/PoC rep they didn't bother to change the Iron Dream-tier detail of calling the bad guys "Deviants".

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

garycoleisgod posted:

major spoiler
this is literally what's going on, you read it correctly

even more major spoiler
the eternals themselves are actually the much worse bad guys, but some of them decide to be good guys, but the deviants are just written to be bad guys so they get genocided

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

Jason Momoa said in an interview that after GoT he couldn’t get work. He said he later found out that most people assumed he didn’t speak any English due to his GoT role.

Conan was released around the same time as GoT. He wasn't good in it, the movie was even worse, and it bombed terribly. That might have had something to do with it too.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

man gently caress Kingo, we could have had VAMPIRO the eternal

https://thedirect.com/article/eternals-thor-marvel-superhero-vampiro

"... from the beginning, I think that they... just liked the idea of having a dozen. It's a nice number, and so they were kind of pushing that. And we were saying 'that's quite a lot of people that we've never met before.'... but they were just like let's try it, and so we did it for one draft, and the very first thing they were like 'okay, let's only have ten'... One of them was Vampiro, who was a favorite of producer Nate Moore..."

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Gee, I wonder what his deal is! :lmao:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

ynohtna posted:

Despite the name he's not a vampire, he's a vampire-themed pro-wrestler.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

garycoleisgod posted:

The film kinda gestures in that direction but doesn’t really follow through with it, unfortunately

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I got a Ultron feel from the Deviant and it was poorly written then too

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Necrothatcher posted:

Despite the name he's not a vampire, he's a vampire-themed pro-wrestler.

:vince:

Somehow, that's even better! :lmbo:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

yoooooo what the gently caress
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfox_(comics)#Allegations_of_sexual_assault

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ynohtna posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bDXRy1rik0

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Yeah, the writer of the series was creepily possessive of She-Hulk, making most of her sexual encounters over the years the result of mind control or alternate reality versions of her. Some comic writers get pretty bad about the characters they read a lot of as teenagers. Just look at how many relationships Kitty Pryde has had in the last 15 years.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

KVeezy3 posted:

Uh huh, and what's your scientific study that counters https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199607043350101, which notes that the drugged up non-exercising group built up roughly double the muscle mass of the natural group who exercised?

EDIT: Beaten to it by McCloud :argh:.
I just noticed, I forgot to come back and admit that I was totally wrong about this. I had no idea that just taking steroids and sitting around doing nothing still works.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

I got a Ultron feel from the Deviant and it was poorly written then too

it really has no idea what it wants to do with the Deviants beyond the level of "well, they were a big part of the source material and we need something for the heroes to fight in the first two acts." if the film was attempting to subvert depicting the Deviants as mindless beasts for the first 90 minutes or so by having one of them become sentient, that development should have some actual narrative and thematic weight attached, especially given what the actual central conflict of the film turns out to be. but instead Kro becomes just another underwritten and largely extraneous secondary antagonist

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 5, 2021

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Barry Convex posted:

it really has no idea what it wants to do with the Deviants beyond the level of "well, they were a big part of the source material and we need something for the heroes to fight in the first two acts." if the film was attempting to subvert depicting the Deviants as mindless beasts for the first 90 minutes or so of the film by having one of them become sentient, that development should have some actual narrative and thematic weight attached, especially given what the actual central conflict of the film turns out to be. but instead Kro becomes just another underwritten and largely extraneous secondary antagonist

This just sounds like a hacky version of Captain Marvel's plot, which itself was just sort of there.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

gently caress it was like shades of Prometheus all over again

Simulation883
Jan 1, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

it really has no idea what it wants to do with the Deviants beyond the level of "well, they were a big part of the source material and we need something for the heroes to fight in the first two acts." if the film was attempting to subvert depicting the Deviants as mindless beasts for the first 90 minutes or so of the film by having one of them become sentient, that development should have some actual narrative and thematic weight attached, especially given what the actual central conflict of the film turns out to be. but instead Kro becomes just another underwritten and largely extraneous secondary antagonist

I was hoping they could start to try and work with the Deviants considering. Upon further consideration it would have been cool if they could combine their powers and achieve the Unimind through the sentient Deviant as he already absorbed two of them. Just have him figure out a way to use his whips to channel them all without killing them.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

sean10mm posted:

This just sounds like a hacky version of Captain Marvel's plot, which itself was just sort of there.

nah, Captain Marvel was not one of the MCU's better films IMO, but at least the plot actually followed through on the idea that the "evil" alien race were really the victims. Eternals just pays lip service to that idea in a few lines and doesn't really do anything with it, which is baffling given that it would fit quite well into the overall plot of the Eternals' purpose being a lie and the Celestials being the actual bad guys

Simulation883 posted:

I was hoping they could start to try and work with the Deviants considering. Upon further consideration it would have been cool if they could combine their powers and achieve the Unimind through the sentient Deviant as he already absorbed two of them. Just have him figure out a way to use his whips to channel them all without killing them.

agreed, the third act should have done something like this imo

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Felt like the Kree were being built up in Captain Marvel as a next-gen threat, but it hasn't been picked up again that I know of.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

josh04 posted:

Felt like the Kree were being built up in Captain Marvel as a next-gen threat, but it hasn't been picked up again that I know of.

Not really, we know that by the time of the first Guardians movie, their empire has fallen and Ronan is the only Kree left with any fight in him.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Hm, wonder if there's a good experience to be had watching them in that sequence.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Grendels Dad posted:

Not really, we know that by the time of the first Guardians movie, their empire has fallen and Ronan is the only Kree left with any fight in him.

I wouldn't say that. All we know in Guardians is that the Kree decided to sign a peace treaty with Xandar, and Ronan wasn't on board with it.

And then there's "Fury's" aside to "Hill" in Far From Home about Kree sleeper cells on Earth. The Kree definitely available as an antagonistic force if they want to use them imo.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

The Kree were regular antagonists in Agents of SHIELD, for what it's worth.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

lore theory: Sersi IS Doctor Minerva

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Who Shot Kingo Vance

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Alan Smithee posted:

He also made a rape joke at comic con which was uhh

Which was uhhhh what? Should Jason Momoa get kicked out of Hollywood because of a comment he made 10 years ago? Should I not go see Dune? Did any of his co-workers complain about his behavior? Exactly what should I do with this information? I want to know what the point of this endless "so and so did a bad thing" moral scolding poo poo is. Can somebody explain it to me?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I know that reading a Wikipedia plot synopsis can have this kind of effect but goddamn does Eternals sound like a series of plot points with no actual story.

I don’t know how they fit all that into the runtime. I bet nothing feels like it has room to breathe.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

howe_sam posted:

I wouldn't say that. All we know in Guardians is that the Kree decided to sign a peace treaty with Xandar, and Ronan wasn't on board with it.

And then there's "Fury's" aside to "Hill" in Far From Home about Kree sleeper cells on Earth. The Kree definitely available as an antagonistic force if they want to use them imo.

I can't remember, was there any purpose to Fury's plotline in that movie that paid off in the actual film? Or was it just a weird twist / sideplot/ setup for its own sake?

edit: VV well I mean aside from his usual quest giver status. The whole Skrull thing

Ror fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 5, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

His purpose was to make Spider-Man fully a cop

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Conan was released around the same time as GoT. He wasn't good in it, the movie was even worse, and it bombed terribly. That might have had something to do with it too.

it was such a bad movie that no one remembered and Mr Momoa never suffered for it. Especially when contrasted with early GOT which took over the internet.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Some comic writers get pretty bad about the characters they read a lot of as teenagers. Just look at how many relationships Kitty Pryde has had in the last 15 years.

loling at the fact that you did waifu wars at the job.

Tankbuster fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 5, 2021

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Ror posted:

I can't remember, was there any purpose to Fury's plotline in that movie that paid off in the actual film? Or was it just a weird twist / sideplot/ setup for its own sake?

edit: VV well I mean aside from his usual quest giver status. The whole Skrull thing

It had no bearing on the movie at all -- though I suppose you could argue it explains why Fury feels like he's on the back foot the entire movie. In fact, I'm not even sure Colbie Smulders knew she technically wasn't playing Hill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ror posted:

They set up that Fury is doing vague space stuff for as of yet unknown reasons.