Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Macrame_God posted:

That nat 20 was fudged as gently caress, wasn't it?

Yeah, probably, but Bert was on deliberately borrowed time anyway, so…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Giving the guy a full round of attacks without any chance to react was more the fudge than saying the second of four attacks was a crit, tbh

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Really this just means Dorian's got to stick around now. He promised to write a song!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Dexo posted:

probably not tbh, No need to

I'm also inclined to believe it was legitimately just the dice doing their magic, because this death was telegraphed as hard as it could be over the last 3 episodes (not to mention the last 5 minutes).

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Really this just means Dorian's got to stick around now. He promised to write a song!

Yes, please.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I'm pretty sure if Matt didn't roll a 20 and finish it there, a dagger follow up would of done the job :smith:

Still, sad to see it happen. Bertrand was quite fun, but I think we all knew he was gonna be a temporary character for Travis, I just figured he'd stay behind when they left the town not get offed entirely.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah, Travis walking off to die was all that was needed. my guess is if he survived the first barrage somehow, Bertrand might have gotten some attack in. And then the next turn, the rogue would be able to catch up to him if he ran and then stab him again, if he didn't run 4 more attacks.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015
The only two people who "saw" that nat.20 were Matt and Travis who were, coincidentally, also the only two who were invested in it.

We all knew it was coming. I personally don't care that it did. Reddit is, of course, going to have a shitfest about it, though.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

travis saw how mollys death brought the mighty nein together and thought "i can do that quicker"

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
I was expecting him at least to get a moment of heroic dignity at the end though :( At the least, the description of him in Imogen's vision sounded like he had a genuine core of nobility or pride.

At the least I hope we get some retroactive mentions that Bertrand's adventures were totally actually real and he did have a genuine heroic career, and wasn't just a total fuckup. :(

MrCompson
Jun 17, 2005

I thought of Bertrand more of as a glorified NPC than a genuine PC, so him dying in a scripted way doesn't really bother me. I do think the natural 20 was real, though. Looking forward to seeing Travis's real character.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I wish in retrospect that they'd had Bertrand come in at level 3, just because joining at a higher level telegraphed that he wasn't going to be around forever.

My guess is that Travis' proper character will be one of Vex and Percy's kids. Having a proper legacy character with a closer tie to that OG VM party would be a lot of fun, now that I've seen how fun it was just to have Bertrand around. Whoever it is, I'm sure I'll love them, and I hope they get introduced ASAP in the next episode.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

NowonSA posted:

I wish in retrospect that they'd had Bertrand come in at level 3, just because joining at a higher level telegraphed that he wasn't going to be around forever.

My guess is that Travis' proper character will be one of Vex and Percy's kids. Having a proper legacy character with a closer tie to that OG VM party would be a lot of fun, now that I've seen how fun it was just to have Bertrand around. Whoever it is, I'm sure I'll love them, and I hope they get introduced ASAP in the next episode.

I'm not sure that even coming in at level 3 would have helped; there was just so much about him and the way Travis was playing him that screamed "temporary character".

AJA
Mar 28, 2015
Well, I guess that the C3 group has to be named Bertrand's Bellends now, right? Or their alignment immediately shifts to NE? Or maybe CN?

Is that still how it works? I only know 2E rules

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
Oh yeah, very pointedly I don't think Bertrand ever actually meaningfully contributed to a fight? Travis is usually very strategic in his tactics, so things like stabbing Dorian weren't plays he'd normally have done.

If things had gone badly in the fight against the shade creeps, he probably would've heroically sacrificed himself to get the party out. It's only vaguely a shame that he didn't get a proper heroic sendoff and dies a washed-up loser instead. :(

EDIT: I'm seeing some people hypothesizing that sheer guilt is going to drive Dorian to leave the group and Robbie the show. I really hope not - I love his energy at the table?

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 5, 2021

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

NowonSA posted:

That assumes that all the telegraphing was unintentional.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jetrauben posted:

Oh yeah, very pointedly I don't think Bertrand ever actually meaningfully contributed to a fight? Travis is usually very strategic in his tactics, so things like stabbing Dorian weren't plays he'd normally have done.

If things had gone badly in the fight against the shade creeps, he probably would've heroically sacrificed himself to get the party out. It's only vaguely a shame that he didn't get a proper heroic sendoff and dies a washed-up loser instead. :(

All this owns though.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

All this owns though.

It's just sad :(

https://twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/1456510167722332161?s=20

Also, yeah, it looks like Travis always intended for Bertrand to die, he just didn't know how or when.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Did they actually say he died died at the end? I thought it was kind of left on a cliffhanger of unconsciousness.

Matt tweeting obv settles it, but maybe there’s a final bit to Bertrand’s story next ep before the new char comes in.

Definitely have to be Bertrand’s Bellends now though.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Pleads posted:

Did they actually say he died died at the end? I thought it was kind of left on a cliffhanger of unconsciousness.

Matt tweeting obv settles it, but maybe there’s a final bit to Bertrand’s story next ep before the new char comes in.

The vision of a proud refined gentleman stepping into the storm felt pretty conclusive.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Matt should've saved those tweets until after Travis's new character showed up imo.

Though I guess there's the worry that some fans would need a clear explanation for a character death or railroading or whatever.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

NowonSA posted:

I hope they repeat the same poo poo they did when Taliesin was waiting to come back in for C2, where they just kept pushing it off because something else happened, just to mess with Travis a bit.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Hope we see them exhaust every possible option trying to res Bertrand

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Pleads posted:

I kind of hope not-- he was around for three episodes and the characters knew him in-game for what, two days? During which he mostly got made fun of for how old he was and didn't really contribute to most of the fights?

It seems like a bit much to base their name for the entirety of campaign 3 (and, honestly, all the associated branding in the real world) on Old Guy We Made Fun of for a Weekend but Now Consider a Grand Respected Mentor We Guess, but then maybe I'm just unsentimental.

Edit: And agreed that I think Matt made the tweets rather early to try and head off a fan uproar over what looked like fudged rolls or not allowing Bertrand to fight back or something like that.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Bets on Travis’ new class/race?

Dwarf Ranger

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

feels like a good motivator

not so much "you killed our friend, we need vengeance" as much as "he was kind of a piece of poo poo but we kinda liked him"

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Pussy Quipped posted:

Dwarf Ranger

I'm thinking a skillmonkey or hard utility, someone who can bust locks. Probably a rogue or maybe an artificer. Artillerist is legit pretty good, their spells hit hard as gently caress and they have good action economy with the bonus action turrets. By level five they can pitch like 5d8 damage a turn with cantrip + bonus turret. Medium armor access + shield + Artillerist gets the shield spell makes them tanky as gently caress too.

Edit-Artificer would give them someone Int focused for being the knowledge focused guy. Could be interesting seeing Travis as a nerd.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 5, 2021

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Pussy Quipped posted:

Dwarf Ranger

Surprise twist: he plays the dwarf they fought.

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm thinking a skillmonkey or hard utility, someone who can bust locks. Probably a rogue or maybe an artificer. Artillerist is legit pretty good, their spells hit hard as gently caress and they have good action economy with the bonus action turrets. By level five they can pitch like 5d8 damage a turn with cantrip + bonus turret. Medium armor access + shield + Artillerist gets the shield spell makes them tanky as gently caress too.

Edit-Artificer would give them someone Int focused for being the knowledge focused guy. Could be interesting seeing Travis as a nerd.

Matt does say in his tweets that Travis character is going to be a BLAST or something similar, wonder if that’s a bit of a hint towards artillerist…

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Evoker wizard? :blastu:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Bangfucker 69 posted:

Matt does say in his tweets that Travis character is going to be a BLAST or something similar, wonder if that’s a bit of a hint towards artillerist…

Could be another custom job too, if for example Travis wants to recreate like a pathfinder grenadier alchemist for 5e, since they are familiar with pathfinder 1e. Artificer alchemist is extremely not bomb focused, and Artillerist is more of a gunner.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Bangfucker 69 posted:

Blast?

Eldritch Blast?

Ehhldrich Blahst?

Southern accented Fjord confirmed to be Travis' next character.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Matt did say after the first session that "Travis is a troll." Which makes me think that only Matt and Travis knew Betram's eventual fate even if the others knew he was not Travis' final character.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

eke out posted:

feels like a good motivator

not so much "you killed our friend, we need vengeance" as much as "he was kind of a piece of poo poo but we kinda liked him"

"He's our piece of poo poo, we get to dump on him, not you!"

So is that Imogen's patron then? Stealing the souls of whoever dies around her or what? I know there's a lot of backstory to go yet, but that was some crazy poo poo.

Mage_Boy posted:

Matt did say after the first session that "Travis is a troll." Which makes me think that only Matt and Travis knew Betram's eventual fate even if the others knew he was not Travis' final character.

I think they knew, Robbie was setting up way too much to not know at least the basics.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
A lot of them looked shocked, though. Admittedly that could just be acting, or could be them still being shocked in the moment of the thing.

A little nice bit I liked, in retrospect: when Travis seemed to get an inkling Bell wasn't going to be walking out of this, he just abruptly dropped all the doddering-old-senior mannerisms and you could at least kind of see Bell had once been an actual competent fighter. It wasn't much but it was the sort of thing a conventional drama would've done. I'm surprised Matt didn't have one last quick fight, although I guess it would've taken too long.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 5, 2021

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

seaborgium posted:

So is that Imogen's patron then? Stealing the souls of whoever dies around her or what? I know there's a lot of backstory to go yet, but that was some crazy poo poo.

ohh is that what happened? i legit didn't understand how the dream connected to bertrand's situation

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
I think it's Laudna that has the patron. I think Imogen just had a prophetic dream because of her psionic abilities. I was pretty distracted in the last half though, though, so maybe I missed something entirely.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Yeah Laudna is the warlock/sorc, Imogen is just sorc. So some empathic thing, not patron thing.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I hope Travis is a Blood Hunter. I'd love to see one live past level 5, especially in a campaign with shadow people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I forgot about blood hunter. Maybe Travis will make the werewolf character of his dreams