Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dammerung posted:

Honestly, I really liked this page, and it gives me some hope. Gunnerkrigg's greatest strength has always seemed like its ability to find the humanity in subjects which are anything but, whether they be forest gods in increasingly frail bodies or a skywatching robot and the angel. Tony's shows of affection toward Annie have always been... understated and subtle, to put it mildly, but with this, we have a drat huge and overt display of affection from him. He didn't just coordinate the rescue attempt. He charged straight into danger, forgoing his shoes and ordinarily unfussed demeanor entirely, to hack away at the ground with his bare hands to save his daughter. Maybe, like the Court's barrier being torn down by the tantrums of a godly being, so too will his barrier between he and his daughter be torn down, with the situation bringing out his best and helping him find the courage to be a good man and face whatever's coming by his daughter's side. I could also be looking too far into things, but Gunnerkrigg's been my favorite webcomic for a while. And if there's any author who can pull this story out of the slow tailspin it's been in and make a great point, it'd be Tom. Here's hoping, I'm excited to see what happens next!
Imagine if this had happened before or even instead of an entire chapter of Annie explaining why we were wrong about him. So we go from Annie being merged -> Tony goes back to not talking to her -> Annie goes to the forest to do the thing feeling weirded out by all this -> Loup bullshit happens -> Tony drills a Tony shaped hole between himself and Annie, huh, I guess he does care -> Annie says "I get it. I don't forgive you but I get it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm still trying to figure out Shell's place in the story, which to be fair we're likely not supposed to grasp yet. What if the name Michelle is literal and she actually is a shell because she ends up being where the other Annie came from haha

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011
my only huge gripe is that this should have happened before the chapter with annie's creepy monologue. then she would have had an actual reason to feel any of those feelings.

also that it is painfully trite that he be the one to find her this way, and i'm guessing she'll give him a hug, everyone will be happy, and there will continue to be no consequences. (or maybe tom will annoy me even further, by giving tony a heros death or something.)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah I feel this would have been way more impactful if it happened before Annie's monologue.

I also wonder if it would have been more impactful if we didn't know Tony was leading the rescue effort, so our surprise would match Annie's, but I guess it is surprising that he's digging himself rather than just acting as a coordinator.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
i hope he has bruised and bloodied feet

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

A big flaming stink posted:

i hope he has bruised and bloodied feet

chainmail socks

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
In other news, chapter retrospective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FccbFm56cI

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Tony's appearance feels really... inconsistent through the comic. I know he's supposed to be more frazzled and haggard here, but but this isn't the first time I've thought "huh, he sure looks different." Maybe I'll dig up more examples later.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Tiny Myers posted:

Tony's appearance feels really... inconsistent through the comic. I know he's supposed to be more frazzled and haggard here, but but this isn't the first time I've thought "huh, he sure looks different." Maybe I'll dig up more examples later.

I thought "Man, the dude looks terrible, like he's been digging non stop as we've been told."

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!
I'm thinking... that I'm really looking forward to the next k6bd.

Might be onto something something with that, though. He looks almost ready to crack and then very relaxed. It would be plausible for him to have a huge breakthrough here (I've at least heard anecdotes about similar things), but it would definitely feel too easy to people critical of Tony. A partial one, though, maybe would work. But I guess we'll see once we aren't looking at a transition page.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Tiny Myers posted:

Reynardine's appearance feels really... inconsistent through the comic. I know he's supposed to be more wolflike and lupine here, but but this isn't the first time I've thought "huh, he sure looks different." Maybe I'll dig up more examples later.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

these are all the same picture though?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Honestly the change in Tony's depiction through this chapter is actually pretty neat, this is good show don't tell stuff as the cage he's in crumbles (at least for a while) because his daughter is in danger.

I wish it had happened earlier but.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
okay but seriously where the gently caress is loup

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
I can't help but take that under-the-comic comment from Tom as a jab at certain parts of the readership. This probably says far more about me than I'd care to admit.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

runwiled posted:

I can't help but take that under-the-comic comment from Tom as a jab at certain parts of the readership. This probably says far more about me than I'd care to admit.

it's a smooth criminal joke

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Hodgepodge posted:

Is Tom endorsing ephebophilia by referencing MJ!? :tinfoil:

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

Goddammit.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Osmosisch posted:

Is Tom endorsing ephebophilia by referencing MJ!? :tinfoil:

Lmao

Stormgale posted:

Honestly the change in Tony's depiction through this chapter is actually pretty neat, this is good show don't tell stuff as the cage he's in crumbles (at least for a while) because his daughter is in danger.

I wish it had happened earlier but.

Yeah agreed. I've enjoyed the Tony/Annie relationship when shown this way. Tbh, my mind pathetically tries to pretend Annie's Tony Monologue didn't happen. Just really soured me on the characters.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

catapede posted:

Yeah agreed. I've enjoyed the Tony/Annie relationship when shown this way. Tbh, my mind pathetically tries to pretend Annie's Tony Monologue didn't happen. Just really soured me on the characters.

I doubt you'll ever like it unless it just flows way better with the finished story than it does right now, but otoh people didn't like The Stone at first so who knows?

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Who gave Tony a pair of shoes

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Note Block posted:

Who gave Tony a pair of shoes

drat I was hoping those were his black socks, but nope - they were grey: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2528

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Gee, a psychopomp would be handy right about now...

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
....with those recent posts about how Tony is drawn differently across the chapters, I read the new update and thought "huh, yeah that goon was right. He really looks totally different here and a lot younger!". It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize that I was looking at Shell and not Tony. :v:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Lt. Lizard posted:

....with those recent posts about how Tony is drawn differently across the chapters, I read the new update and thought "huh, yeah that goon was right. He really looks totally different here and a lot younger!". It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize that I was looking at Shell and not Tony. :v:

+1

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I wanna pet that giant hamster in panel 2.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah same lmao

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Lt. Lizard posted:

I didn't realize it until reading your post

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

Wild that simply taking off her tie and jacket made for the perfect Tony disguise.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
goon facial blindness etc etc

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
https://twitter.com/gunnerkrigg/status/1456318468748464130?s=20

Buy your hard copies while you can.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

There's already someone from Dark Horse in the comments, and someone tagged in Spike from Iron Circus Comics, I doubt it'll be without a publisher for long

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

There's already someone from Dark Horse in the comments, and someone tagged in Spike from Iron Circus Comics, I doubt it'll be without a publisher for long

Yeah, that sounds like more of an upside than a downside. More people chasing the contract is always a good thing I think.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've bought a bunch from Archaia, mostly cause they'd have displays at C2E2, and their stuff is nice, a great value, and really hard to find sometimes because they are bad at stocking titles. My buddy stopped buying GC for his nieces/nephews because he waiting like a year for a new printing of a volume and by the time it came out, the rest were out of stock.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If my paperback copy of volume 9 doesn’t match the rest of my paperback volumes, then it will be worse than anything Tony ever did.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

If my paperback copy of volume 9 doesn’t match the rest of my paperback volumes, then it will be worse than anything Tony ever did.

This, except hardback :mad:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
.....is this really going to be a thing hanging over the characters for an interminable amount of time?

i swear this comic is allergic to uptempo pacing

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

gunnerkrigg court: a webcomic rolling over in bed, forever

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Would Renard be able to stop Loup by just taking his body?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

A big flaming stink posted:

.....is this really going to be a thing hanging over the characters for an interminable amount of time?

i swear this comic is allergic to uptempo pacing

Coyote gave her his tooth back in Chapter 26, or February 2010.

Chekov's gun: on the shelf.

Comic: Hey do you remember the Chekov's gun?

Comic: The gun. It's still there. We brought it out for a second, but it's back on the shelf.

Comic: The gun continues to be a thing.

Comic:

Comic, 11 years later: A character is textually saying YOU WILL HAVE TO TAKE THE GUN OFF OF THE SHELF AND KILL THIS PERSON WITH IT.

Comic:

Comic:

Comic:

Comic: Here's a character you know nothing about having some personal romance drama after nearly killing the protagonist with a botched experiment.

Comic: Anyway the gun is on the shelf. The guy who wants it has disappeared. Maybe, sort of soon, he might, possibly, make an attempt on the life of the person who's carrying the gun, who isn't even the person who is supposed to use it. Gotta be careful.

Comic: Just wanted to remind you of the gun. Still a thing. Maybe we'll even see it, someday.