Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

KingKalamari posted:

I've kind of come to accept that every time I watch a Youtube video by a person I'm not familiar with I'm going to have a creeping sense of low key dread in the background: I'm generally really slow to hit the subscribe button for fear a creator's going to turn out to be a garbage-person. Like, I've been watching a bunch of unsolved/creepy mystery videos lately from a few creators, and I'm just dreading the idea that they're going to turn out to be anti-vaxxers or something.

so what, you just take a mental note that you don't wanna support that person and move on

again, i blame twitter for this consumer guilt

i blame twitter for a lot of things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

For real.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

anyone else been watching Grim Beard's Darkened Streams series where he reviews all 327 episodes of Supernatural until youtube shuts him down?

its pretty good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVFyAz0MDMc

anyway i recommend the X-Files episode "Blood" from Season 2, Episode 3

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Like, I'm not harping on you for caring, KingKalamari, but I was reminded of people on the speedrunning thread preemptively apologizing for sharing something just in case that person was a chud and it's just way too much anxiety to have when it comes to watching videos on the Internet.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The worst thing I've found about münecat so far is that she pours beer like an absolute psycho. But she apologised so it's okay.

Don't you loving dare reveal that she is secretly supports boris johnson or something of that caliber :mad:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I used to watch zero punctuation and I recall psychonauts was the only game at the time he gave a positive review. People actually got mad at him for that

A couple others were XCOM Enemy Unknown which, you know, obviously and also Fallout 3(!).

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Nuns with Guns posted:

Speaking of media criticism and good media criticism, this is a cool video from a black video essayist, F.D Signifier, about Dave Chappelle's stupid transphobic screed in his latest comedy special:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S42DJr95Dfw

this is really loving good

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
those are my 3-days-late thoughts

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Antigravitas posted:

The worst thing I've found about münecat so far is that she pours beer like an absolute psycho. But she apologised so it's okay.

Don't you loving dare reveal that she is secretly supports boris johnson or something of that caliber :mad:

She has killed 15 dogs and ate an entire baby

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

KingKalamari posted:

I've kind of come to accept that every time I watch a Youtube video by a person I'm not familiar with I'm going to have a creeping sense of low key dread in the background: I'm generally really slow to hit the subscribe button for fear a creator's going to turn out to be a garbage-person. Like, I've been watching a bunch of unsolved/creepy mystery videos lately from a few creators, and I'm just dreading the idea that they're going to turn out to be anti-vaxxers or something.

JazzFlight posted:

I pretty much google their user name and the word politics or Trump and scroll through their list of other videos to scope out if they’re secret MAGA chuds before I hit subscribe.

Big same. I always do a quick check on a youtuber's twitter for any red flags before watching their stuff. It's nuts but everytime I go "eh I'll just watch the video. What are the odds of this random person turning out to be some insane chud?", like clockwork, they turn out to be a chud or a sexpest. I've been burned too many times before to just give people the benefit of the doubt these days sadly. :negative:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

This is one of the things that makes me unable to properly form the 「 P A R A S O C I A L R E L A T I O N S H I P S 」for YouTube and other media personalities. They end up disappointing so hard. We can't get even get the problem of "they're kind of a rude rear end." It's always "oh btw this wholesome plushie maker can't stop arguing for Qanon in their YouTube comments sections." (I don't know any plushie maker youtubers. I would be interested in a few.)

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i dont vet my youtube people so that way if i find out later that they do hosed up stuff its not a failure on my part

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Annointed posted:

This is one of the things that makes me unable to properly form the 「 P A R A S O C I A L R E L A T I O N S H I P S 」for YouTube and other media personalities. They end up disappointing so hard. We can't get even get the problem of "they're kind of a rude rear end." It's always "oh btw this wholesome plushie maker can't stop arguing for Qanon in their YouTube comments sections." (I don't know any plushie maker youtubers. I would be interested in a few.)

I used to get super attached to youtubers I liked, back in my early 20s, but Jontron, Projared, And Brad Jones milkshake ducking, plus me having actual friends, broke that habit hard.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Of all things, a youtuber that talks about gore videos from the internet that I've seen in passing, I then saw recently made a video saying like he and his wife are bi and fully support LGBTQ people and don't tolerate bigotry and everything. The strangest places. Videogame man, awful sex pest and/or nazi loving shitheel. Guy that documents people getting horribly taken apart, married with kids and is supportive of queer people.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 5, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm worried one of these days I'll discover that Matt Easton, Skallagrim and Lindybeige are all antivaxxer right wing conspiracy nuts due to the unfortunate bleed over between racists and HEMA.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Every day, I worry that NahzeeLover1488, who makes content about WW2 memorabilia will out themselves as a horrible person, but thankfully nothing bad has been revealed about them, and I can listen to their soothing Argentinian accent guilt free.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm worried one of these days I'll discover that Matt Easton, Skallagrim and Lindybeige are all antivaxxer right wing conspiracy nuts due to the unfortunate bleed over between racists and HEMA.

I pretty much assume all HEMA folks are the UK/EU equivalent of US gun nuts who do militia cosplay, and we just don't make the connection because of the funny accents (and because there is no contemporary real military version of what they're doing against which we can directly compare).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bonaventure posted:

i would've known not to watch or post that video, because of the loving thumbnail

The thumbnail led me to assume it's be soley video game armor so I was wondering what else has flown under the radar lately.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Haven't had the chance to watch this yet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MoNp4qEXK4

she mentions in the description she'll talk about some of the controversies surrounding Tale of Tales but I wonder if it will go in depth to beyond The Path (like how much of a failure Sunset was as both game or commentary, and how badly they did with their kickstarter)

e: lol i'm watching now and it's immediately brought up within 10 minutes

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 5, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09wn5R0Lrpk

Hey, your Herrerasaurus is wrong.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Farm Frenzy posted:

i dont vet my youtube people so that way if i find out later that they do hosed up stuff its not a failure on my part

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The Algorithm decided I needed to see every single piece of LEGO-related content in existence, and I blundered across a dude doing silly challenge runs of Lego Star Wars like how few studs you need to pick up in the process of beating the game. Then I checked the rest of his channel and he has an incredibly sketchy-looking "how sexist are gamers REALLY?" video where he like, ran some dumb, poorly thought out experiments with voice chat in an attempt to stat out some sort of quantifiable conclusion and judging from the comments his conclusions were predictably bad and dumb.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I keep getting videos about living in Antarctica in my recommendations. :confused:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
You too? Gotta check out them antarctic blizzards.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Controversially, it does not make you a bad person to watch YouTube videos now and then even if they're made by assholes. Consider a background check before giving them recommendations or money if that's important to you, but even if you laugh at sseth videos you are not automatically in danger of joining the proud boys or whatever.

Dawgstar posted:

A couple others were XCOM Enemy Unknown which, you know, obviously and also Fallout 3(!).

I watch his stuff from time to time, and apparently being married with a dog and kid mellowed him out somewhat since he likes plenty of stuff now, even jrpg when he used to relentlessly trash the genre.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 5, 2021

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

How did that loving FlexTape video blow up so much AFTER everyone knew he was a terrible racist? More recently it was revealed that he's an antivaxxer, too. And people were shocked?

Internet drama and looking at a persons past beyond their video isn't really a thing for regular people. If someone who just casually watches youtube videos watches a funny video, they're not gonna do any research about the person making the video before passing it on.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

You also usually don't know most of a person's life unless they make it front and center and even those you won't know about what they choose not to present (see : tons of family channels). I used to watch a lot of simply dumpling for his food travel video for years until the pandemic made traveling no longer viable, and I only last year found out he was a falungong weirdo who made his fortune through kids educational content and may be the kind of guy who fucks his groupies

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

You also usually don't know most of a person's life unless they make it front and center and even those you won't know about what they choose not to present (see : tons of family channels). I used to watch a lot of simply dumpling for his food travel video for years until the pandemic made traveling no longer viable, and I only last year found out he was a falungong weirdo who made his fortune through kids educational content and may be the kind of guy who fucks his groupies

Wait, really?

:sigh: goddammit

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Yeah, like the groupie thing is unverified but in some videos you will see him with one attractive girl after another and it's purely conjecture, which is why I said "may be" but apparently some people have complained of him before. The falungong thing I only knew because uncle Roger, the guy who got viral making fun of a BBC TV cook making fried rice, got into controversy when he collaborated with Mike and his Chinese viewers got mad. Tgere were hints of this when you notice he never goes to China. There is also some suggestion his kids education Channel (beyond science) is beyond science and goes into pseudoscience poo poo.

https://www.reddit.com/r/aznidentity/comments/l0m0o8/fyi_mike_chen_from_strictly_dumpling_is_huge/

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !
Sure, finding somebody on Youtube to watch and worrying they might be a shitlord can be the cause for some anxiety, that's understandable, but imagine being a Youtube creator who interacts with others. Crossovers and cameos are still a good way to expand your audience, but you can be drat sure a lot of vetting goes on before two people agree to work together. This is especially true for former Channel Awesome contributors who are quite rightly concerned somebody they collab with might turn out to be the next Brad Jones or Lordkat. For example, Film Brain has said on Twitter he is very reluctant to even reach out to new people because of this.

The positive side of this is that as a viewer, nowadays when you do see somebody you don't know pop up in a video by Allison, or Dom Noble or Linkara etc. you can be pretty confident they're gonna be OK people.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

drat that thread has some real CCP asskissers in it, but falun gong guy sucks too.

Oh, that whole sub is hosed up holy poo poo, barely went down and a ton of weird indian, black, interracial and jewish hate.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Nov 5, 2021

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Yeah, it wasn't until the whole Uncle Roger thing that I realised why Mike Chen never did any filming at all in China, and that presumably it's because he's not allowed into the country. And yes, his Science channel (which seems to be dormant) is filled with complete and utter nonsense about people who apparently have healing hands and other such bullshit. He wisely keeps this completely out of his food/travel content but ever since finding all this out...yeah, watching him hasn't really been the same.

Simon and Martina used to be a good food/travel one too, but then they broke up and Simon turned rather odd indeed. He seems to basically be a cult member now, and the split was very acrimonious. Hopefully Martina gets other stuff going on the same level soon (I suppose this is all a bit of a cautionary tale with regards to what happens to couples' channels and their social media when/if the couple breaks up).

At least there's nothing bad I know of about Mark Wiens. Or The Food Ranger.

As far as JonTron goes, the algorithm just seemed to push him to a completely new level when he did that Flex Tape video, to a way bigger audience. There's a big chunk of his audience who I imagine have no knowledge at all of the sort of poo poo he spouts on Twitter and streams and so on and probably don't even particularly care to know.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I haven’t watched any Rooster Teeth poo poo in years, but I wonder how people who still do feel about the older videos that feature Ryan Haywood in them?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
How do you watch any movie or tv show or play any games if you're this principled about the people who make them being good

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

dangerdoom volvo posted:

How do you watch any movie or tv show or play any games if you're this principled about the people who make them being good
Er… because Youtubers are kinda like a 1 on 1 experience between creator and viewer, so it’s proportionately worse watching if said creator is a bad person? Like I might watch a movie with Tom Cruise in it despite his scientology stuff, but I wouldn’t want to see a solo Youtube channel by him. If the person is way worse like Kevin Spacey, it definitely taints the entire movie and you really can’t enjoy it.

Closest entertainment equivalent might be stand-up comedians, and people usually drop them like a sack of poo poo if bad stuff comes out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Youtube and Twitch are much closer to their audiences that a studio-developed game or film because it's often a single person, or a small team, directly interfacing with their audience and shaping their content based on that audience's feedback.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Youtube and Twitch are much closer to their audiences that a studio-developed game or film because it's often a single person, or a small team, directly interfacing with their audience and shaping their content based on that audience's feedback.

Sometimes. But I think that feeling of directly interfacing is much more illusory now, especially if you're looking at a channel with >100k subs. At that point the interaction is no more personal than the letters to the editor for a medium-sized newspaper. It just feels that way, because youtube and twitch feed off of the veneer of authenticity and direct interaction.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Yardbomb posted:

drat that thread has some real CCP asskissers in it, but falun gong guy sucks too.

Oh, that whole sub is hosed up holy poo poo, barely went down and a ton of weird indian, black, interracial and jewish hate.

The Mike Chen stuff sucks, but Azin Identity is a right-wing incel sub that probably shouldn't be used as a source for anything.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
New video from Shaun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wRDLf54Scs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
New video from James Somerton too, on gay (and other queer) characters in video games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQNKEkrPEfI