Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fridge corn posted:

Final Fantasy 9 actually sucks

It led to a good let's play, which is great because actually playing it is a miserable boring chore and whether the creator personally loves it like a child or not doesn't change how utterly uninspired it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Great graphics, tho.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

my unpopular opinion is civilization revolution is actually a ton of fun and a round is only like an hour tops

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
The setting and art in Endless Legend is so goddamn unique and amazing. Too bad about the game, though.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

nvidiagouge posted:

The setting and art in Endless Legend is so goddamn unique and amazing. Too bad about the game, though.

It's true.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

meat police posted:

my unpopular opinion is civilization revolution is actually a ton of fun and a round is only like an hour tops

I tried playing that game after playing a shitload of whatever Civ was out at the time and hitting a solid brick wall. I just couldn't understand the systems and was getting invaded by Great Britian in like 1720 or some poo poo because the game was pissed I was doing so bad. I walked away realizing I needed to start converting all the native americans to Christianity and luring (stealing) all their people instead of waiting for new colonists but feeling I was still somehow playing it wrong?

Its the only Civ game I played that I just didn't get and didn't want to.

Thats different from Civ 6 that I wanted so bad to love it but it was just too god drat terrible. So many extraneous systems on top of even more extraneous systems. Also requiring a finite resource for gunpowder because lol if you didn't have any. Guess its a few hundred more years of swords then.

Civ 6 rrworked Barbarians in a way that made it impossible to do my favorite Civ game. Huge map, 3-4 civs, a mod that makes barbarian camps spawn more often and spawn more units. You would find an undiscovered continent and find a literal carpet of barbarian units. The kind of game that maxing out the honor tree is the only way to keep yourself out of bankruptcy since you'll need so many units. Finding a bot civ that 150 turns in is still only a capital surrounded by barbarians 3 deep since barbarians can't capture citys. Good times.

Still wasn't as bad as Beyond Earth. We don't talk about Beyond Earth....

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

nvidiagouge posted:

Same

I felt like it was such a fantastic game, except when I was actually playing it

Endless Space kind of was the same, a lot of beautiful art and lore resting on the crumbling foundation that is Endless Space gameplay

But Dungeon of the Endless on the other hand is fantastic in every respect

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 5, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I slam bought Endless Legend on the lore and I think I have sub 10 hours playing it because the actual game is not me.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I can't quite figure out why I don't like Amplitude 4x games. They seem good, really cool aesthetics and writing and everything. I've put a not insignificant number of hours into all of them: Endless Space 1 and 2, Endless Legend, Humankind, all the while trying to convince myself that if I just put some more hours in maybe I'll figure what I'm missing in them, but I never once enjoyed myself during any of the time I spent with them.

It's something about the systems, I feel like there's never any clear line of progression or objectives that exist in other strategy games. I'm always flailing in the dark just kind of building whatever looks good? I just can't put my thumb on it. I love Civ games, I love Stellaris, I got really into Age of Wonders: Planetfall recently. I should like these games but I just don't.

vudan
Dec 11, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Noita is amazing, that's not an unpopular opinion but its super true. I am really bad at it but its fun just jet packing around the early levels, I think it's one of the best procgen games because the differences between seeds are meaningful but it doesn't rely on them.

Hi fellow bad at noita poster. I love it too but drat it's hard as nails. I usually enable changing spells on the fly as it's a fun mechanic I like to play with a lot but I don't know if I'm cheating or whatever.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

limp_cheese posted:

Still wasn't as bad as Beyond Earth. We don't talk about Beyond Earth....

I still want to try Beyond Earth someday out of curiosity. I have no specific loyalty to SMAC and I love exploring weird offshoot games that everyone else hates.

But also 2K will literally never put the game on sale for less than like $15~ so that day will likely never come lol.

Beartaco posted:

I can't quite figure out why I don't like Amplitude 4x games. They seem good, really cool aesthetics and writing and everything. I've put a not insignificant number of hours into all of them: Endless Space 1 and 2, Endless Legend, Humankind, all the while trying to convince myself that if I just put some more hours in maybe I'll figure what I'm missing in them, but I never once enjoyed myself during any of the time I spent with them.

It's something about the systems, I feel like there's never any clear line of progression or objectives that exist in other strategy games. I'm always flailing in the dark just kind of building whatever looks good? I just can't put my thumb on it. I love Civ games, I love Stellaris, I got really into Age of Wonders: Planetfall recently. I should like these games but I just don't.

This is me with a lot of strategy games. But I remember trying the Endless Space 2 tutorial during a free weekend and I just got completely lost in that exact way. In the tutorial. C'mon.

Though also I just kinda flat out hate sci-fi games that devolve into fiddly ship design micromanagement.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Civ 6 is the best civ game

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's call to power 2 actually

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Say what you will about Nintendo but there’s a lot of merit to their general philosophy of “If it’s not part of the gameplay, remove it”. While there are exceptions usually you should never have a menu inside a menu inside a menu. Take Advance Wars. Ton of complexity and depth, but it’s all in the gameplay itself instead of spending hours in a submenu deciding which pair of pants with which 1% bonus to wear.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah its fun and i am surprised it doesn't have a thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983435

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I don't often post an opinion in here without being obnoxious about it but civ 2 is far and away the best civ

Props to having Leonard Nimoy and Sean Bean in later versions though

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

John Murdoch posted:

I still want to try Beyond Earth someday out of curiosity. I have no specific loyalty to SMAC and I love exploring weird offshoot games that everyone else hates.

But also 2K will literally never put the game on sale for less than like $15~ so that day will likely never come lol.

This is me with a lot of strategy games. But I remember trying the Endless Space 2 tutorial during a free weekend and I just got completely lost in that exact way. In the tutorial. C'mon.

Though also I just kinda flat out hate sci-fi games that devolve into fiddly ship design micromanagement.

There's a humble bundle containing Beyond Earth and its DLCs for 10 bucks. I just bought it myself for the same reason as you.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/aspyr-25th-anniversary

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hector Delgado posted:

I haven't been able to follow a plot of a Final Fantasy game since the snes days. Usually about halfway thru the game gets all metaphysical about crystals and poo poo and I just nod my head and enjoy the good music and cool monsters.

The trick is a lot of them don't actually have THAT complicated plots iirc, they're just usually told in the least clear fashion possible, at a snail's pace, and oddly enough tend to involve the characters you actually spend 98% of the game with being tertiary to the real story. And all the metaphysical crystal stuff is usually just incredibly vague explanations of bog-standard 'it's magic'

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

ff13's plot is batshit insane and you will never convince me otherwise

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I tried playing Amplitudes new 4x attempt at Civilization and, uh, why does the game start with basically a really lovely and slow mini-game instead of the game's core mechanics of city building.

Excelzior posted:

ff13's plot is batshit insane and you will never convince me otherwise

The plot is insane in so far as it forgets to tell you a lot of it. I mean, any story is pretty crazy when the story teller flat out leaves out huge swathes of it.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The trick is a lot of them don't actually have THAT complicated plots iirc, they're just usually told in the least clear fashion possible, at a snail's pace, and oddly enough tend to involve the characters you actually spend 98% of the game with being tertiary to the real story. And all the metaphysical crystal stuff is usually just incredibly vague explanations of bog-standard 'it's magic'

My dumb video game opinion is that most jrpgs wear out their welcome before you even get past the prologue and would be a lot more fun if they were eight, maybe ten hours long at the most

Randomizers and fiesta rules have made final fantasy games so much more enjoyable than their original forms would ever hope to be

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Beyond Earth isn't THAT bad, it's just not Alpha Centauri at all and had big shoes to fill in that regard. It's a modded Civ 5 with alien planet mechanics.

The best Civ ever is still Civ 4 with the Fall From Heaven 2 mod installed.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

pretty soft girl posted:

My dumb video game opinion is that most jrpgs wear out their welcome before you even get past the prologue and would be a lot more fun if they were eight, maybe ten hours long at the most

Randomizers and fiesta rules have made final fantasy games so much more enjoyable than their original forms would ever hope to be

Its not really dumb, I think the upper limit sweet spot for a JRPG should be about 25 hours for a blind reading the text playthrough. Ideal RPGs you'd finish the whole game in sub 20 with another few hours of optional content.

Once your game is "40 hours long!" or longer its just padding.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Barudak posted:

Its not really dumb, I think the upper limit sweet spot for a JRPG should be about 25 hours for a blind reading the text playthrough. Ideal RPGs you'd finish the whole game in sub 20 with another few hours of optional content.

Everyone lost their mind about how good Bravely Default was as a throwback to old school final fantasy games and I thought hey I'd love to play a game like that, I'm in

15 hours into it the uninteresting characters were still doing little more than being really boring and uncomfortably horny at each other and I had no sense of any main antagonizing force or plot to get invested in. When found out I probably had another 40 hours to get to the end of the game, I turned it off and started a new playthrough of FFV knowing I could probably get through it three times in the time it would take to slog through the rest of that crap

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I don't often post an opinion in here without being obnoxious about it but civ 2 is far and away the best civ

Props to having Leonard Nimoy and Sean Bean in later versions though

I felt like Civ 3 and 4 added a lot of complexity that wasn't actually that interesting. Civ 5 seemed to work out a decent balance, though, by streamlining a lot of the cruft the series had built up.

But we all know the best Civ game is SMAC.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

pretty soft girl posted:

Everyone lost their mind about how good Bravely Default was as a throwback to old school final fantasy games and I thought hey I'd love to play a game like that, I'm in

15 hours into it the uninteresting characters were still doing little more than being really boring and uncomfortably horny at each other and I had no sense of any main antagonizing force or plot to get invested in. When found out I probably had another 40 hours to get to the end of the game, I turned it off and started a new playthrough of FFV knowing I could probably get through it three times in the time it would take to slog through the rest of that crap

Good thing you didn’t get to the halfway* point, you’d have haaaaaated it.

My favorite JRPGs are Suikoden and Suikoden 2, mostly because the plots are great but very concise. You could probably speed run the first one in like 3 hours with no exploits.

*I know it’s technically more than halfway, shut up

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Barudak posted:

pretty soft girl posted:

A j/cRPG doesn't have to be a long game, but I'm fine with any that are over 20 hours (or even over 50), as long as they have the good content to justify it. A lot are just bloated with drudgery and bad writing. From what I hear about Bravely Default (also Octopath Traveler, another supposed throwback) they're more of the latter.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I bought 'Illusion of Gaia' for myself when it came out for N64, and, try as I might, could NOT force myself to enjoy anything about that game. I quit in disgust and disappointment pretty shortly on.
I haven't looked in a long-rear end time, but I think normally gets/got about 8/10 ratings, so that's probably not a popular opinion.

I don't know if it was a combination of me being too young for it, just not being a big RPG guy in general, combo of both, or whether I simply didn't like the game, period.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Big Beef City posted:

I don't know if it was a combination of me being too young for it, just not being a big RPG guy in general, combo of both, or whether I simply didn't like the game, period.

It could've been just a bad game

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I remember it having a really weird ambiance to it.
That kind where you're not scared or creeped out, just ...uncomfortable in a way that's not easy to put into words and always wondering 'when do things actually happen', then they WOULD happen at some point and thinking 'I have no idea what I'm supposed to do now' all while feeling that general sense of not liking the whole atmosphere. So yeah that wasn't a good one for me.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That's an snes game *snort chuckle push glasses up nose

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
e: ^^^ now I've done it

Big Beef City posted:

I bought 'Illusion of Gaia' for myself when it came out for N64, and, try as I might, could NOT force myself to enjoy anything about that game. I quit in disgust and disappointment pretty shortly on.
I haven't looked in a long-rear end time, but I think normally gets/got about 8/10 ratings, so that's probably not a popular opinion.

I can't find any reference to Illusion of Gaia on the N64. It took me a moment but apparently it's part of a "trilogy" following Terranigma and preceding Soul Blazer. All on SNES. Oh well.

Pretty sure I have fond memories of emulated Terranigma. If you can get through some of the dopier parts of the RPG the music makes the story really poignant at some place. Also helps if you're older and can smoke weed or whatever while playing it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

nvidiagouge posted:

Beyond Earth isn't THAT bad, it's just not Alpha Centauri at all and had big shoes to fill in that regard. It's a modded Civ 5 with alien planet mechanics.

The best Civ ever is still Civ 4 with the Fall From Heaven 2 mod installed.

Beyond Earth wasn't just disappointing relative to Alpha Centauri, it was a disappointing 4X. The graphics were fine, but the gameplay wasn't good. There were a couple interesting ideas but they were part of a rotting core of bad design

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

QuarkJets posted:

Beyond Earth wasn't just disappointing relative to Alpha Centauri, it was a disappointing 4X. The graphics were fine, but the gameplay wasn't good. There were a couple interesting ideas but they were part of a rotting core of bad design

Its this and I never played SMAC so I'm not even comparing Beyond Earth to it. It was just a bad game.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

e: ^^^ now I've done it

I can't find any reference to Illusion of Gaia on the N64. It took me a moment but apparently it's part of a "trilogy" following Terranigma and preceding Soul Blazer. All on SNES. Oh well.

Pretty sure I have fond memories of emulated Terranigma. If you can get through some of the dopier parts of the RPG the music makes the story really poignant at some place. Also helps if you're older and can smoke weed or whatever while playing it.

yeah I was mistaken in that it was an snes game not n64. It's...been awhile, obviously

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

chadbear posted:

There's a humble bundle containing Beyond Earth and its DLCs for 10 bucks. I just bought it myself for the same reason as you.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/aspyr-25th-anniversary

I did see that one, but I either already own or have zero interest in the other parts of the bundle so I passed.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Big Beef City posted:

You're not missing anything. Illusion of Gaia does everything right but the gameplay. The puzzles are pretty easy and the combat is repetitive. The game looks and sounds cool for the time, but you're way better off with other games.

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in
Just started playing dark souls 3 this week. To be honest, it just makes me want to play God of War again. Or even ghost of Tsushima. Unfortunately, having played GOW and Tsushima first, DS3 just feels like the same thing only far less depth to the combat.

Is this an unpopular opinion in tyool 2021? I want to enjoy dark souls, really, and not just because it set me back eighteen buckaroos. It's because I found the higher difficulty settings on both of those other games much more fun than the easy settings, so I figured I'd give a famously difficult game a try. But so far Bigbutt McSlut (my mercenary :) ) doesn't have either the crushing power of kratos or the elegant precision of Jin Sakai.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Clowner posted:

Just started playing dark souls 3 this week. To be honest, it just makes me want to play God of War again. Or even ghost of Tsushima. Unfortunately, having played GOW and Tsushima first, DS3 just feels like the same thing only far less depth to the combat.

Is this an unpopular opinion in tyool 2021? I want to enjoy dark souls, really, and not just because it set me back eighteen buckaroos. It's because I found the higher difficulty settings on both of those other games much more fun than the easy settings, so I figured I'd give a famously difficult game a try. But so far Bigbutt McSlut (my mercenary :) ) doesn't have either the crushing power of kratos or the elegant precision of Jin Sakai.

3 is my least favorite and plays more like a bloodborne sequel than a dark souls sequel in my experience. I've heard good things about Sekiro, maybe you would prefer it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I thought streets of rage 4 did a good job of not changing a winning formula too much and I liked the direction they went with the art

After I beat it, though, I didn't feel the need to replay it at all. For some reason, however, that's just not true with me and Streets of Rage 2,which is one of the finest side scrolling beat em ups ever made, solid fact, all the way down to the music.

I have not played the streets of rage 4 DLC yet though but I remember unlocking Shiva in SOR 3 who was clearly a broken overpowered character and i just cheesed my way through groups of enemies with zero problem, I always liked his aesthetic and I guess you can play as him in sor4 if you get the DLC???