Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
You can get a Pilot Capless with a "special alloy" (read: steel) nib for a hundo. Excellent pen, even if the nib isn't gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
You could get a Pilot Custom 74 or Custom Heritage 91 for ~$100

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oh poo poo I just discovered a Canadian fountain pen store. Anyone familiar with Wonderpens.ca?

Looking at their specials and they have a flex nib Ahab for pretty cheap. Canadian pricing.

Also curious about these Opus 88 Eyedropper pens that are on sale. They seem to have reviewed well.

I'd rather buy from Canadian stores because I don't want to pay a ton for shipping as well as customs fees.

Amazon doesn't have the capless for us in Canada.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

VelociBacon posted:

Oh poo poo I just discovered a Canadian fountain pen store. Anyone familiar with Wonderpens.ca?

Looking at their specials and they have a flex nib Ahab for pretty cheap. Canadian pricing.

Also curious about these Opus 88 Eyedropper pens that are on sale. They seem to have reviewed well.

I'd rather buy from Canadian stores because I don't want to pay a ton for shipping as well as customs fees.

I've got an Opus 88 Picnic and it's been pretty good for me. Got it with a 1.4 stub to really lay down inks.

Bezoar
May 2, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Nothing but good things to say about wonderpens.ca, and if you can go in person the staff are all pleasant and awesome too! They’re really good about shipping and I’ve never felt rushed even when Covid regulations are getting people lined up outside the door.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks guys for the replies. I picked up the Opus 88 Koloro in broad. Also grabbed two inks that were on sale:

Free shipping, happy with it. I'm not in Toronto so I can't pick it up.

Looking forward to playing with a broad nib! Especially with that sherwood green.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 3, 2021

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

VelociBacon posted:

They’re good; I haven’t had issues with them. Most of the purchases I make are between them and Phidon pens in Cambridge, ON. There’s gotta be other Canadian pen stores out there though.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

No problems with Wonderpens.ca

Only issue is their stock isn't as expansive as some others and I just end up making a big order from a US shop rather than a bunch of smaller ones and that's just one of those things.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I had a Goulet order today go all the way up to Oshkosh :psyduck: So instead of going through Chicago or Milwaukee, it went through both of those and past us.

So that was odd to see, thanks USPS.

But, I got a fun package today!

Where have architect grinds been in my life?

iospace fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 4, 2021

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

VelociBacon posted:

Which nibs? Are they different at all when it comes to the nibs and feeds? Ty.

One medium and two broads. The Minimas use a smaller nib. All are straight Schmidt nibs and feeds, but they adjust them. Each wrote smoothly out of the box without adjustment or flushing.

I did see that you ordered a Koloro; also an excellent pen. I am probably going to get a few more Opus88s.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

gschmidl posted:

Pilot Capless Raden Stripe?

Toss up between that or the Galaxy Raden that is also made by Pilot. Their Vanishing Point line is fine but runs out of ink quickly.

I also might go a little crazy and buy a Nakaya Decapod Raden instead? I dunno, they all are pretty neat and very fancy.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

aldantefax posted:

Toss up between that or the Galaxy Raden that is also made by Pilot. Their Vanishing Point line is fine but runs out of ink quickly.

I also might go a little crazy and buy a Nakaya Decapod Raden instead? I dunno, they all are pretty neat and very fancy.

I strongly support any and all financially crippling fountain pen purchases.

In other, totally unrelated news, I bought another Delta. Also nobody seems to know where my October Delta is, which sucks because it's pretty.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The VP series basically demands a cartridge fill

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Heath posted:

I'm actually, oddly enough, going to switch my black VP to pre-filled pilot black carts. Because lazy.

My Black Ice VP is likely going to be switched to Shin-Kai once that sample arrives. I have plans for Fire and Ice though :getin:

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Heath posted:

My Galaxy Raden came with a clean empty cart in the pen and a black one in the presentation box, no converter. My other Raden VP, Water Surface, came with the converter in the pen like other VPs I own. Both were sourced from Pen Sachi. :iiam:

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

The Electronaut posted:

My Galaxy Raden came with a clean empty cart in the pen and a black one in the presentation box, no converter. My other Raden VP, Water Surface, came with the converter in the pen like other VPs I own. Both were sourced from Pen Sachi. :iiam:

Honestly filling an empty cart with a syringe would probably be more convenient than the VP’s converter, which is absolutely the worst part of the pen. I should try that.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

grack posted:

I strongly support any and all financially crippling fountain pen purchases.

new thread title

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

aldantefax posted:

I think I'd like a Raden. Any suggestions on which?

If I had infinite money I'd buy a Pelikan M1000 Raden for sure.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Arcsech posted:

Honestly filling an empty cart with a syringe would probably be more convenient than the VP’s converter, which is absolutely the worst part of the pen. I should try that.

It’s the ideal way to go imo for the VP.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

inklesspen posted:

It seems, when I showed the movers a box of fountain pen ink and asked them to make sure it was packed properly, I may have needed to be more specific.

Turns out the fault may have been mine; almost all the spillage is from my Emerald of Chivor bottle, which had a slightly loose cap.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

inklesspen posted:

Turns out the fault may have been mine; almost all the spillage is from my Emerald of Chivor bottle, which had a slightly loose cap.

I was going to express surprise that any glass bottles could be broken so easily, the ones I've seen for ink are extremely strong looking.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

VelociBacon posted:

I was going to express surprise that any glass bottles could be broken so easily, the ones I've seen for ink are extremely strong looking.

if they drop, it more often the cap that breaks.

inklesspen posted:

Oh, I just ordered a bottle of this!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

howe_sam posted:

You know, to this day I haven’t handled any Pelikans, certainly not a Souveran. Nibs.com does have pretty tasty pictures of that pen though.

A lot of the folks in the SF Bay Area pen posse were absolute fiends in collecting Nakaya pens. Leigh Reyes, who may still post calligraphy music video things on Youtube from time to time, visited from the Phillipines many years ago and I got the chance to check out a Romillopen for the first time.

Basically think of an entire gaggle of gracks. I miss those folks!

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks, I'd actually rather find something that writes extremely well for the money instead of something that Looks Interesting. I'm relatively crafty and I'm fairly certain I could turn down and laquer my own barrel etc if I wanted to - I'm after a great writing experience because so far that's not been what I've found with fountain pens.

Best writing pen for $100 anyone?

It depends if you like a certain FP style is or not for $100 :shobon:

I would just get an Platinum #3776 in blue since it's a good writer and they come in different colors.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

aldantefax posted:

You know, to this day I haven’t handled any Pelikans, certainly not a Souveran. Nibs.com does have pretty tasty pictures of that pen though.

The Souveran line is pretty close to the platonic ideal of a piston filler pen. The M8xx in particular is one my all time favorite designs.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

howe_sam posted:

The Souveran line is pretty close to the platonic ideal of a piston filler pen. The M8xx in particular is one my all time favorite designs.

Funny way of spelling TWSBI.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

iospace posted:

The modified feed I had in my VAC700 disintegrated and I was sad about that. I don't know what I did with that pen but it had an Eversharp Symphony nib in it. That pen was pretty sweet.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

iospace posted:

Pelikan barrels don't have a tendency to crack. That said yes, the ability to totally disassemble a TWSBI is a point in their favor.

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020
I'm aware that there are apparently quality issues with TWSBI but my Eco has been excellent overall.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

howe_sam posted:

I'd start buying up deltas to keep grack on his toes

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Got some new inks. Diamine Registrars Ink which is an iron-gall ink, I think it writes pretty well though it feels kinda faded, it gets darker with time I noticed. I also got two regular blues in tiny bottles, Florida & Kensington Blue. Put the latter in my 1.1 stub lamy and the IG ink in my Lamy All-star with the F-nib.

I thought the Kensington blue felt scratchy which is a marked difference from Noodles blue eel which I had earlier which just glides on the paper. Blue Eel is one of my favorites but it has some feathering issues IMO, but the diamine is no better in that regard. Looks almost identical when dried, so out of the two Noodlers is my preference.

The 1.1 stub nib usually works well with mosts inks, I think though it might be better served with a lighter ink since it lays down a heavier line. Might work well with the IG ink.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Im gona buy the inkvent calendar! Im gona do it! I've never had an advent calendar in my life so I'm really hype, although mostly for the ink.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Apparently it's Fountain Pen Day at https://www.stiloestile.it/, 10% off everything.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Xun posted:

Im gona buy the inkvent calendar! Im gona do it! I've never had an advent calendar in my life so I'm really hype, although mostly for the ink.

Really? Never a chocolate calendar so you get a candy every day?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My FPD purchase: a 580...

That's gonna be ground :getin:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Mine's the very Pilot VP Raden Stripe I was touting earlier.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Is there a particular point when you're supposed to empty out a pen that has ink in it with the "don't let me dry out in your pen" trait? My TWSBI Eco holds so much ink and has continued to write for so long that it worries me a little, since I've never actually emptied it out to wash it. Am I right to think it will be okay as long as I keep writing with it every other day or so?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

Really? Never a chocolate calendar so you get a candy every day?

Nope lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I'm told today is Fountain Pen Day and a good time to look for deals.

Oh god I don't need to spend more money.