Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
It's almost like the legal industry is ripe for major disruption.

https://www.newlawacademy.com/blog/legaltech-funding-soars-in-2021-as-vcs-and-law-firms-dive-in
https://news.crunchbase.com/news/legal-tech-venture-investment/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

Icertis, US$80M - Contract intelligence platform using AI to read and analyse legal documents

i can't be the only person to read this and immediately think "we should get our corporate attorneys a copy of this to figure out what stuff we can sneak past it, and then put all of that stuff in our contracts"

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

i can't be the only person to read this and immediately think "we should get our corporate attorneys a copy of this to figure out what stuff we can sneak past it, and then put all of that stuff in our contracts"

Take a Cyrillic keyboard, replace the Latin letters with identically looking Cyrillic letters ("о", "c", "a", "x", "p", capital "H", capital "K", capital "T", capital "B", lowercase "y"), problem solved
Don't actually do this, I suspect that this will get you instantly disbarred in most jurisdictions and it's also a lovely thing to do

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

evilweasel posted:

There needs to be an automated timecard reader on the client side that analyzes and automatically rejects crappy time entries or time entries with hours entered that are out of bounds of expected value based on description. "6.0 - Reviewed documents" = rejected.

Then, you sell the same software to law firms to automatically punch up time entries to make them better.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

merk posted:

There needs to be an automated timecard reader on the client side that analyzes and automatically rejects crappy time entries or time entries with hours entered that are out of bounds of expected value based on description. "6.0 - Reviewed documents" = rejected.

Then, you sell the same software to law firms to automatically punch up time entries to make them better.

there basically is for insurance companies. everyone on a case that uses them gets instructed on what triggers it (juniors should not use the word "strategy" for example)

that said if you're reviewing documents, your time entry is going to be one massive block of reviewing documents

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Yeah about two years ago I went to an all day CLE on the use of AI in legal practice and then like a week later I applied to become a public defender

Big part of that was "welp, I should probably get as much actual courtroom experience as I can, they can't make a robot stand up in a courtroom"

evilweasel posted:

that said if you're reviewing documents, your time entry is going to be one massive block of reviewing documents

I've had weeks and weeks where I could have legitimately written "reviewing documents" for all of my time. Probably months somewhere in there.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Had he just not updated his billing rates since the turn of the century ?

I don't think anyone makes alot of money in insurance defense.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Yeah about two years ago I went to an all day CLE on the use of AI in legal practice and then like a week later I applied to become a public defender

i am concerned someday companies are going to deploy an ai that goes "you there. your emails have been flagged as not realizing litigators might get to read them someday. we have banned you from sending emails that are not simply "hey x, can we have a call?" you dumbass"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

i am concerned someday companies are going to deploy an ai that goes "you there. your emails have been flagged as not realizing litigators might get to read them someday. we have banned you from sending emails that are not simply "hey x, can we have a call?" you dumbass"

No no it's fine I have a disclaimer in my signature

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The arbitrary income difference is pretty wild. I used to work with a 70 year old lawyer who had done like 300 jury trials and was legitimately an expert trial attorney, and he would charge clients like $250 an hour because he was an insurance defense lawyer. Meanwhile at big firms some second year associate is billing $400/hr to read through 100 contracts and make a spreadsheet of their termination and assignment provisions.
Try, like, $750/hr for a second year (note: bankruptcy fee petitions are public, for all your billing rate questions).

merk posted:

I am pretty sure this exists already.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 2, 2021

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Had he just not updated his billing rates since the turn of the century ?

It’s a combination of a bunch of stuff. Part of it is doing run of the mill defense work for insurance companies which is pretty close to the most fungible civil practice there is, meaning the carriers are constantly pressuring to keep rates low and lawyers are undercutting each other all the time.

Also he’s a genuinely nice guy, probably to a fault, and doesn’t really get involved in stuff outside the nuts and bolts practice. So when non-insurance clients hire him he quotes them rates similar to his insurance rates.

Anyway, I don’t think anyone here is charging close to NYC biglaw rates. Even BSD partners in specialized practices at the big firms here charge like $500-$600 an hour, maybe $750 but I doubt it.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Pook Good Mook posted:

Probably has a lot to do with the fact that everyone's classmates are making a broad range of money. If you graduate med school, you tend to make the same amount of money as your classmates, all things equal with specializations and the like. Meanwhile, in law school, if you're halfway socially competent, you have friends who are making $180,000 a year out of the box while you're making $60,000. Or less, for basically the same work

It's also that, if you're not doing criminal law or family law, nearly all of your clients make more money than you (or they couldn't afford your rates) but you have to socialize with them at their expensive venues and listen to their stories of heli-skiing. And your friends who discuss their practices are either bragging about how much money they made (tons, so you're jealous, but they're lying about their lives) or complaining about how much money they made (not enough, so you're stressed about not making enough money).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Arcturas posted:

It's also that, if you're not doing criminal law or family law, nearly all of your clients make more money than you (or they couldn't afford your rates) but you have to socialize with them at their expensive venues and listen to their stories of heli-skiing. And your friends who discuss their practices are either bragging about how much money they made (tons, so you're jealous, but they're lying about their lives) or complaining about how much money they made (not enough, so you're stressed about not making enough money).

i would bet it's the criminal law and family law lawyers have much worse substance abuse issues than the working for the rich/corporations

having your decisions be relevant to taking really important things away from specific people (liberty, family, property) is apparently quite...unpleasant. also for criminal law stuff i bet you have to deal with a lot of stuff you would really really rather not have in your head (regardless of which side you're on).

in comparison to that, a corporate exec making more than me doesn't really bother me at all

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

evilweasel posted:

i would bet it's the criminal law and family law lawyers have much worse substance abuse issues than the working for the rich/corporations

having your decisions be relevant to taking really important things away from specific people (liberty, family, property) is apparently quite...unpleasant. also for criminal law stuff i bet you have to deal with a lot of stuff you would really really rather not have in your head (regardless of which side you're on).

in comparison to that, a corporate exec making more than me doesn't really bother me at all

I have never been more stressed or terrified in my life than when a jury was out on first degree murder for a client who I truly believed to be completely innocent. When it's out of your hands and there's nothing more you can do all you can think about is what might have gone wrong. I don't know what I would have done if they had come back guilty.

And yeah, comparing that to "oh no partner x has a more exclusive shade of lambo than me" I don't have any problem seeing which one is more likely to lead to a drinking problem. We should all know more than anyone that being able to afford it is not something that addicts factor into their decision making.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Fair point, I didn't mean to say that criminal/family lawyers don't have stress and pressures that make addiction worse. Just that in the commercial space the income disparity in your social circle exists not just between classmates but between coworkers (assistants, paralegals, associates, partners) and clients as well.

Xtronoc
Aug 29, 2004
Pillbug

evilweasel posted:

I had a former colleague that interned for an asbestos defense firm, he said the people there generally didn't had an option other than the work they did, other than that they were generally "chill" people.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Big part of that was "welp, I should probably get as much actual courtroom experience as I can, they can't make a robot stand up in a courtroom"

I've had weeks and weeks where I could have legitimately written "reviewing documents" for all of my time. Probably months somewhere in there.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is this the thread for discussing the plausibility of a 'stop the steal' event in 2024, in which a number of states refuse to certify?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I know back in June I told you to ask the question in here if you wanted to talk about it with lawyers, but I think you’ll have more interaction in the legal questions thread if you want to talk about legalities if it, or in one of the political threads for political discussion.

Here, we do chat about legal issues and cases, and politico-legal stuff that arises, but it’s mostly a politics-free zone.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
While my father failed me in not stopping me from going to law school, his "no insurance defense" rule was a good one.

Apparently in the 70s and 80s insurance defense was a good gig, which is interesting

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

nm posted:

While my father failed me in not stopping me from going to law school, his "no insurance defense" rule was a good one.

Apparently in the 70s and 80s insurance defense was a good gig, which is interesting

1. No email
2. No online research
3. No computerized bill auditing
4. No 1/10 hour billing

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

nm posted:

In the 70s and 80s, every law gig was a good gig. Firms would send invoices for a flat amount with no time entries that said 'for services rendered.'

edit: As an aside, PR firms still do this today. I was working a data breach where the PR firm we the client hired billed out at a fixed amount per day based on 'low,' 'medium,' and 'high' engagement. It was tens of thousands of dollars per day.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Family law was never a good gig

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

nm posted:

Family law was never a good gig

Unless you are a messy bitch who loves drama and depression.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

algebra testes posted:

How dare you call me out publicly.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

algebra testes posted:

Insulting Grandma Party, in his own house?!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

blarzgh posted:

Insulting Grandma Party, in his own house?!

She wishes she were this messy. Messier than Sab's underpants and more depressed than Blarzgh's testosterone levels.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Hey, enough of that now. None of this petty infighting.

You're all equally pathetic. I eat pieces of poo poo like you for breakfast.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
You eat pieces of poo poo for breakfast? Ew.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

BigHead posted:

kinkshamer

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

GrandmaParty posted:

more depressed than Blarzgh's testosterone levels.

I'm Taking Supplements!

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

BigHead posted:

yea everyone knows poo poo is a dinner

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Pook Good Mook posted:

Probably has a lot to do with the fact that everyone's classmates are making a broad range of money. If you graduate med school, you tend to make the same amount of money as your classmates, all things equal with specializations and the like. Meanwhile, in law school, if you're halfway socially competent, you have friends who are making $180,000 a year out of the box while you're making $60,000. Or less, for basically the same work

It's not the same work at all.

The guys making $60,000 are almost always doing more work.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

nutri_void posted:

Take a Cyrillic keyboard, replace the Latin letters with identically looking Cyrillic letters ("о", "c", "a", "x", "p", capital "H", capital "K", capital "T", capital "B", lowercase "y"), problem solved
Don't actually do this, I suspect that this will get you instantly disbarred in most jurisdictions and it's also a lovely thing to do

Simply replace key words with images of that word

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

evilweasel posted:

"We are writing this electronic missive to inform you that Dewey, Cheatham and Howe will be representing the company known as DROP TABLE { PLAINTIFFS; DEFENDANTS; CLIENTS | CITATIONS; CASEFILES } [ ,...n ] [ ; ] or "Droptable INC" as it is also known".

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nuthri_void posted:

Why, actually. Do you owe some ethical duty to a competing firm's AI? Surely protections in legal ethics only apply to humans and any internal processes or tools used inside the firm's systems are the user's responsibility?

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
I work with an AI contract review tool and have demoed several others. The tool itself will inevitably miss something whether due to a bad OCR, a scan of a contract from 1984, etc.

It speeds up review immensely but it’s hardly a replacement for ya know, reading it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nice piece of fish posted:

Hey, enough of that now. None of this petty infighting.

You're all equally pathetic. I eat pieces of poo poo like you for breakfast.

Super happy about keeping my correspondences to emails and comments on contracts. The idea of having to interact with real ppl...gross...

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shageletic posted:

Super happy about keeping my correspondences to emails and comments on contracts. The idea of having to interact with real ppl...gross...

as a litigator:

lol never write an email ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

*unless it’s to cover your rear end