Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Invisible Clergy posted:

Look, it's very clear; you see, OP's roommate said she would put her hair in a ponytail, but didn't.

i wonder what it would be like to try to explain this reference to somebody irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

teen witch posted:

Also starting to think “I know how this sounds but hear me out” needs to be on this thread’s coat of arms.

Ummm, really? I mean.... it's the disclaimer put at the front of explicitly fictional stories on throwaway accounts.

I know the IK decree is not to contest things so I just ignore those submissions here, but really. It's... not subtle.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

spouse posted:

The only ones I usually insta-disbelieve are cuckolding stories, since probably 5 times across iterations of this thread I've found "hahah, i got em" posts later from people linking to the article and claiming to have made it up to troll people. There's a huge undercurrent of racist cuckoldry trolling coming from 4chan because I guess they think they're "owning" people by... posting about the (largely false) inadequacies of white men (that stem from their own insecurities)?

I always insta-disbelieve cuckolding stories because for a cuck fetishist posting about how their wives new bull was soooo big and he can't compete is part of the game.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Serephina posted:

Ummm, really? I mean.... it's the disclaimer put at the front of explicitly fictional stories on throwaway accounts.

I know the IK decree is not to contest things so I just ignore those submissions here, but really. It's... not subtle.

I think you might want to reread my post?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Mx. posted:

the shithouse father stories roll on

AITA for telling my dad's wife to be mad at him and not me?

Unequivocally the father is a monster and an rear end in a top hat, but the OP needs way more therapy. They are protecting a lot of hate and unfair comparison and it sounds like they still have a ton of unresolved stuff to talk about. Obviously they aren't wrong or an rear end in a top hat, but that was not enough therapy :(

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Maiden posted:

In a few years this guy is going to be posting wondering why his relationship with his daughter is nonexistant to bad and will be completely unable to accept that it's because of his massive violation of her privacy and the fact that he is actively maintaining a grudge against her for having a completely normal reaction to divorce and a new step-mother.

It wasn’t a divorce, the OP’s mother died. So yeah her reaction is even more understandable

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

lol I missed that. That makes it even worse, as you said.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

No, OP started therapy 4 months into their dad’s marriage and THEN their mom died 3.5 years later.

E: actually it’s pretty unclear, the phrasing could go either way. But you’re probably right going by the rest of the post. Sorry!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

kntfkr posted:

Do you see any success with parents blocking social media? My religion is wanting Mark Zuckerberg to be violently killed but I don't want my kids (0 & 3) to be alienated from their peers. I know I can't block anything because the 3 year old can already remember unlock codes for different devices to sate his youtube addiction, I just want them to grow up being too cool to have or need Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or Snapchat.

Yeah, it's very successful if your kid is active in real social activity.

I know several kids kids on my kids sports teams that don't do any social media at all and it's fine.

But there's a ton of lovely people out there who think a screen with internet access is absolutely required for kids these days. It's bad.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My sister's kids were thirteen, ten, and seven when the first iPhone came out and she insisted that all three of them absolutely needed one. Sometimes it's the parents.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

TK8325 posted:

Well of course she said that, she doesn't know about your plan to become the most pathetic man and then she has to hire you. It's foolproof.

:roflolmao:

Mx. posted:

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah, it's very successful if your kid is active in real social activity.

I know several kids kids on my kids sports teams that don't do any social media at all and it's fine.

But there's a ton of lovely people out there who think a screen with internet access is absolutely required for kids these days. It's bad.
My question would be if the kids on your teams have their parents blocking social media use or if it's that the kids themselves simply chose not to deal with it. The kids deciding on their own social media is dumb is one thing, but I think parents actively banning it would be unsuccessful in the same way that being ultra strict about alcohol or sex usually is. Either the kids will sneak behind your back to do it in high school or they'll eventually encounter it on their own in college and have no basis in how to do it safely.

The correct answer is probably the same as it has always been: Be an actual parent. Don't bury your head in the sand by trying to ban things and pretending that Instagram doesn't exist, but also don't just blindly let them wander blindly into the deep end of the pool either.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mx. posted:

You had NO RIGHT to write those things in a therapy journal working through exactly these issues. You should have lied, so that all those issues were repressed and festered into a horrible relationship with no trust--oh poo poo, that happened anyhow

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Unequivocally the father is a monster and an rear end in a top hat, but the OP needs way more therapy. They are protecting a lot of hate and unfair comparison and it sounds like they still have a ton of unresolved stuff to talk about. Obviously they aren't wrong or an rear end in a top hat, but that was not enough therapy :(

The stepmom is openly being a piece of poo poo to her now, about what she put in a journal her therapist told her to keep, back when they were only 10-13 years old.

They probably need therapy because of what a shitshow this is, but the stepmom basically just validated the kid thinking the stepmom was a worthless piece of poo poo.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
If I'm reading that one post correctly, the OPs mom died when she was 6.5 and their dad remarried 3.5 years later? I feel bad for the OP for the dad reading the journal but I also kinda feel bad for the step mom here unless I'm missing something

Edit: the above post is true as well I suppose

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Captain Yossarian posted:

If I'm reading that one post correctly, the OPs mom died when she was 6.5 and their dad remarried 3.5 years later? I feel bad for the OP for the dad reading the journal but I also kinda feel bad for the step mom here unless I'm missing something

Edit: the above post is true as well I suppose

The 10 year old writing about being upset about a stepmom entering her life is totally reasonable and normal (and the kid probably needed more therapy). An adult acting like a shithead because a 10 year old wrote some hurtful things down in a completely private (lol) setting is utterly mindblowing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I feel so bad for the kid actually trusting her dad enough to hand him her journal and going, "burn this, pls" and being naive enough to believe he would.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

The 10 year old writing about being upset about a stepmom entering her life is totally reasonable and normal (and the kid probably needed more therapy). An adult acting like a shithead because a 10 year old wrote some hurtful things down in a completely private (lol) setting is utterly mindblowing.

No, no, you don't understand. At the end of the therapy period she was supposed to be fixed and do what her dad says, that's what the therapy is for.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

MagusofStars posted:

My question would be if the kids on your teams have their parents blocking social media use or if it's that the kids themselves simply chose not to deal with it. The kids deciding on their own social media is dumb is one thing, but I think parents actively banning it would be unsuccessful in the same way that being ultra strict about alcohol or sex usually is. Either the kids will sneak behind your back to do it in high school or they'll eventually encounter it on their own in college and have no basis in how to do it safely.

The correct answer is probably the same as it has always been: Be an actual parent. Don't bury your head in the sand by trying to ban things and pretending that Instagram doesn't exist, but also don't just blindly let them wander blindly into the deep end of the pool either.

Yeah, the kids who have a lot going on (sports, friends, active parents,etc) seem to not give a poo poo about social media/internet stuff.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Plenty of parents treat therapy, journals, etc as ways of spying on their kids when they're still children, and shaming them when they're adults.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Plenty of parents treat therapy, journals, etc as ways of spying on their kids when they're still children, and shaming them when they're adults.
The father explicitly stating that he kept the journal as leverage for later is another level of :wtc:

That poor kid.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I recall getting called in to talk to the counselor because of something I wrote in a theatre class journal.

When I pointed out this was obviously an exercise in character development, being a theatre class and also the reason for the journal, they indicated that I somehow wouldn't be able to come up with those things if I didn't have experience with them...

...I'm like how do you have a theatre program here if that's how you think it works?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

spouse posted:

No, no, you don't understand. At the end of the therapy period she was supposed to be fixed and do what her dad says, that's what the therapy is for.

That's exactly my point. You aren't fixed. My mom died when I was 9 and I went through a lot of what that poster went through. They definitely need more work to be able to not have have this betrayal, combined with the lingering trauma of losing their mother, wreck their adult life.

Their dad is a monster and the step mom is understandably hurt and apparently doesn't have the self esteem to handle that, which is sad in itself. It's a poo poo situation all around.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The whole idea that step parents are entitled to the unconditional love of their step kids is psychotic, and trying to force it just makes everything way worse.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

sean10mm posted:

The whole idea that step parents are entitled to the unconditional love of their step kids is psychotic, and trying to force it just makes everything way worse.

Listen kiddo, I miss your mom too, but I really gotta bust a nut, so here's someone new I can rail who will tell you what to do and has dominion over you.

I will not help you in the event of an argument with them, and oh yeah, there will be an ever-evolving definition of "respect" that does not apply to the way they treat you.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for telling my bridesmaids my requests for the wedding?

quote:

Hey there. I'm having a destination wedding in July 2022. I've done some planning on where it will be and I've picked the venue as well. So I asked some of my friends to be on my bridal party. All of them accepted happily and were excited to be part of the planning. My sister will be my MOH and I told her to make a group chat with all the bridesmaids and pass down my requests to them.

My requests seemed reasonable at first but then my bridesmaids started backing down one after the other. Some of my requests were that since its a destination wedding they'll pay for their own rooms in the same resort hotel my husband, I and our families will stay. They're also required to buy their own dresses and find their own hairstylists and makeup artists. Their hair and makeup should be the same on all of them. My MOH also told them how she's planning the bachelorette party which will be a weekend getaway and how everyone there covers their own costs. I also suggested if any of them wants to diet i'll appreciate it but they're not forced to of course. I'm not strict on that request its just a suggestion.

After my requests were made clear I had a couple of my bridesmaids (they're 6 in total) saying that sadly they'll have to step down because they can't afford all this. They said the dresses I showed them are also too expensive. I said that I offered two choices for that reason, so they can pick whichever one they can afford (both dresses are the same color just different cuts). They said both choices are still too expensive and there's no way they can afford both a destination wedding and a destination bachelorette. They told me if they could pick a cheaper hotel or airbnb to stay because they can't afford the one I picked and I said that's not really a good idea because I want all my bridal party on the same place as me at all times. They said they'll step down. The next day I met with the rest of the 4 bridesmaids who remained and cried about the two of them stepping down. One of them told me that my requests are not possible to fulfill for everyone so I shouldn't take it personally. I said those are regular requests any bride makes for her wedding, why am I not allowed to? She said I need to grow up and realise not everyone can afford it and it's not my business to argue about it. She said unless I can get my poo poo together she'll drop out too because I don't seem understanding and ill be a nightmare to work with. The rest of the bridesmaids comforted me and said that those who dropped out are not true supportive friends, my sister also told me to ignore them and move on. But I'm very hurt my bridal party started off with drama because of my requests. AITA?

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

quote:

OP: The standard bedrooms my bridesmaids would be staying in are 380€ per night. Mine and my fiancé's is more expensive.

Redditor: And the dresses?

OP: 200€ each

So OP wants her bridesmaids to pay 580 eurobux before travel, the bachelorette travel, the bachelorette party and hotel stay, makeup, hair, etc.

gently caress outta here. My buddy had a gorgeous wedding a little while ago and I was a groomsman, they just said "please pick a tasteful suit in blue or a tasteful dress in pink, somewhere near this shade" and everyone looked fantastic and the color variation made us look super nice in pictures. One of the bridesmaids is a masc woman, so she wore a suit. One of the groomsmen was a femme woman, so she wore a dress. It all worked out great, no one freaked out. Why is this hard?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Hey thread, I hate you, so read this

Thicc girl smol boi

quote:

My (27yo/Male) boi is quite thin and tall. I’m a 24yo Female who is short and thicc. I can’t sit on his lap or snuggle on top of him without making him uncomfortable or hurting him. We have been dating 3 years.

What do I do?

I really hate hurting him or making him uncomfortable. But I also am in ED recovery and I’m quite comfortable with the weight I’m at even if it is a little on the thicc side. He can’t pick me up or let me sit in his lap or really be on top of him snuggling otherwise he gets super uncomfortable or he gets injured.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I’m a touch enthusiast.

TL;DR thicc girl struggling with thin boi who can’t handle her weight coughing discomfort or injury.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
What the gently caress have you brought upon this cursed land

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

The Bramble posted:

Thicc girl smol boi

One handed

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Bramble posted:

Thicc girl smol boi

Good try but my body has a way of shutting the whole thing dow--

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

the two genders: boi and Female

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Soylent Pudding posted:

I will never ever understand this brain poisoning that has people convinced they need to spend obscene amounts of money on a wedding. If I was planning a destination wedding, it would 100% be with the intention that it was going to be super casual, and no one was obligated to turn up unless they fancied the trip too. How can it ever be seen as reasonable to expect people to spend huge sums of money on a day that is entirely not about them?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's not exactly about the money, per se. People like this think that a wedding is an opportunity to live in a psychotic dream-realm where you get to be God for a day. Or a week, if your social set can afford a destination wedding.

The Bramble posted:

Thicc girl smol boi
She's recovering from erectile dysfunction?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah, the kids who have a lot going on (sports, friends, active parents,etc) seem to not give a poo poo about social media/internet stuff.
On the contrary, they are interacting with those friends on social media/internet. Like, seriously, plans about where to meet up and when, side chats about "wow, [video game boss] sucks", casual snark about how the day is going. Those happen via Internet/social media, just as they used, in many cases, to happen over text.

There's a difference between focusing on being an Instagram/Tiktok/whatever star and keeping in touch with your social circle. Millennials and after pretty much hate phone calls, and quite right, too.

e: My dad said, "Don't expect your wedding to be the happiest day of your life. Expect it to be the beginning of the happiest times of your life", and quite right, too.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

The Bramble posted:

Thicc girl smol boi

Switch positions? Doesn't seem that hard to work out.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Halloween Jack posted:

It's not exactly about the money, per se. People like this think that a wedding is an opportunity to live in a psychotic dream-realm where you get to be God for a day. Or a week, if your social set can afford a destination wedding.

She's recovering from erectile dysfunction?

Eating disorder is how I read it

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

Me 42M my son 17M caught my wife (his mom) 40F cheating on me with a friend of mine also 42M

quote:

So this happened awhile back and me and my wife decided on counseling, I have of course cut my "friend" out my life and me and my wife are slowly making progress there.

But then there is my son who is so angry with his mom, he has just stopped speaking to her and it's been like this since January now when this happened.

I have tried talking to him and even suggested maybe he also should talk to somebody, but he refuses.

His 18th birthday is coming up and he has told me he will remain in contact with me, but not with his mom when he heads to college.

For the first months after he found out he argued with her constantly, for example when she asked him to take out the trash he responded with there's the door.

I called him out on that one and he just gave me a look and said fine and then took out the trash.

My wife and I are working through this and she has tried to speak to him, even apologized to him multiple times.

But after a few months of him being angry he has decided he does not want to speak to her at all.

And whenever she is out of the house he talks to me normally, my wife tried carefully to ask him about his day and he just completely ignored her and did not even look at her.

He seems like he has emotionally cut her out and acts normal towards everyone else including his aunts (his moms sisters) they have also tried talking to him, but he said he refuses to talk about his mom.

I was angry and hurt by her infidelity but I understand that his reaction is stronger since he caught them and he has a mental image he would most likely not have.

My "ex-friend" told his wife right after this happened and she is divorcing him.

I am really not sure what to do here I got my brothers telling me they support my son and that I should divorce her.

But she has gone above and beyond to when it comes to counseling and working to fix things.

She has done everything when it comes to me but then there is my sons relationship to her which is gonna be a lot harder to fix.

Just not sure how to handle this I just figured giving him space was a good idea, but he seems to have decided to cut her out of his life.

So not sure what to do here honestly

When you do a great job raising your kid but you're still a loving idiot.

Also:

quote:

For the first months after he found out he argued with her constantly, for example when she asked him to take out the trash he responded with there's the door.

Uh, hello, based department? I'd like to file a claim.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Some people just like having a big fancy wedding. And that's fine. The requests she made were not where she was the rear end in a top hat. She was the rear end in a top hat when her response to a couple of the bridesmaids saying "no, I can't afford this" was to have a huge meltdown instead of trying to make things easier for them or just saying "I understand, and I'd be happy if you could still make the wedding."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

spouse posted:

Me 42M my son 17M caught my wife (his mom) 40F cheating on me with a friend of mine also 42M

When you do a great job raising your kid but you're still a loving idiot.

Also:

Uh, hello, based department? I'd like to file a claim.

Laffo, dad is gonna lose his wife and his son and do that deer in the headlights "bwuh" when it happens, which he will of course be alone in his house doing because his brothers will be in another room debating whether he really is genetically related to them