Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Wentz is still unvaxxed isn't he? He was wearing a mask in pregame warmups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

half cocaine posted:

Wentz is still unvaxxed isn't he? He was wearing a mask in pregame warmups.

He is not

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

YOLOsubmarine posted:

All this time and people still don’t actually know what HIPAA actually does. The NFL and Green Bay Packers aren’t covered entities even if this was a leak, which it isn’t.

This makes sense. They aren't a covered entity. So it can't even be a HIPAA violation. For some reason I thought it counted as a covered entity when it collected this kind of information, but I was confusing it with confidentiality requirements for employers under the ADA. I work in insurance/healthcare software, so I'm kind of used to everyone being covered entities.

The confidentiality requirements under the ADA would apply here, but like you said, that's only if it was a leak, which is hard to prove. Even then, I'm not sure what the penalties are for a violation there or if that law is toothless.

These confidentiality rules are the reason employers have to be non specific when notifying other employees or customers that they may have been exposed to a sick employee. Granted, a lot of the time you know it was Dave from accounting who was ranting about anti-vaxx stuff every morning and has been out sick for days, but they employer can't confirm that to anyone. However, the NFL seems to publicly announce when players get covid, so I'm not sure if something about the nature of being a professional athlete somehow makes those confidentiality rules not apply here.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

wilderthanmild posted:

However, the NFL seems to publicly announce when players get covid, so I'm not sure if something about the nature of being a professional athlete somehow makes those confidentiality rules not apply here.

NFL players sign employment contracts that give their employers broad access to their health information and allow them to do basically whatever they want with it. There would be no way to run the IR list without that.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
If the doctors work for the team, wouldn’t the team would be covered under HIPAA? But yeah there’s a bunch of waivers to confidentiality because of gambling

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

YOLOsubmarine posted:

NFL players sign employment contracts that give their employers broad access to their health information and allow them to do basically whatever they want with it. There would be no way to run the IR list without that.

That would explain it then. Rodgers probably doesn't have grounds to sue them or anything like that then. All he can do is whine about it.

Apparently the NFL has always had a weird relationship with ADA and similar laws that impact health related matters. The first result I found on google was some Harvard law blog about how the NFL combine might be illegal for a bunch of reasons. :psyduck:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Aaron Rodgers eats a plate of clay on live television to prove how healthy he is.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

bobjr posted:

Aaron Rodgers eats a plate of clay on live television to prove how healthy he is.

Next week on Pat McAfee

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

wyoak posted:

If the doctors work for the team, wouldn’t the team would be covered under HIPAA? But yeah there’s a bunch of waivers to confidentiality because of gambling

The medical staff themselves are covered and there would be an agreement between the player, the medical staff, and the team regarding medical disclosure, but that's as far as it would go HIPAA wise.

As the law is written, a non-medical or non-insurance organization that just so happens to have a doctor in it's employ doesn't make it a covered entity.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1456464862046007308?t=Ur-yoHP0KMIU0qASPlPTpA&s=19

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I really don't want to cause drama in this thread, but I think the New York Football Jets might actually be a bad team.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Browns releasing OBJ on Friday.

https://sports.yahoo.com/browns-will-release-odell-beckham-jr-051443256.html

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Apparently Rodgers filmed State Farm commercials and unvaccinated players aren’t allowed to do stuff like that? I hope this is true because this story is the gift that keeps on giving.
And when were the Jeopardy tapings?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

japtor posted:

Please don't violate HIPAA by asking such questions.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

:toot:

though I am curious to see if he continues to be terrible on another team

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

kiimo posted:

Has anyone said R-E-V-A-X yet

Please make this a gang tag for all the Packers fans.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/CameronWolfe/status/1456428747696087045?t=sLxsKupgt2sdJXrkzrMHrA&s=19

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

So both teams somehow lost the Laremy Tunsil trade.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jymmybob posted:

He’s going to light it up on the Bucs or Pats. It is known.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Draft picks are overrated and I never understand why bad teams hoard them like pokeeman cards. What, your team won't suddenly be terribly mismanaged top to bottom because you have a whole bunch of 1st and 2nd round picks to waste??

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So both teams somehow lost the Laremy Tunsil trade.

Remember how the Rams got a king's ransom for the RG3 pick but got nearly nothing out of it? The only player I can remember from that haul is... Ogletree?

I wonder if that didn't have a hand in the organization deciding picks were more valuable for acquiring players instead of drafting them.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Jymmybob posted:

Me too. He had one solid 1000 yard year here, but since then it's been a situation where the Browns have been better when he's not playing than when he is. I'm curious to see if he's just washed or we just can't use him.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

wilderthanmild posted:

Me too. He had one solid 1000 yard year here, but since then it's been a situation where the Browns have been better when he's not playing than when he is. I'm curious to see if he's just washed or we just can't use him.

If he's bad he'll get a pass for needing to learn a new offense mid season. Then next season if he continues to be bad I don't know.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

wilderthanmild posted:

If the knock on him really is that he just freelances all the time to get open and needs someone who can play like that with him, then I could see him being a viable option for the Chiefs.

I also highly doubt any of that is true and he will go somewhere and do nothing this year.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

He isn't going to clear waivers far enough to drop to the Bucs, but the Pats do seem like a good landing spot. He would be a serious value add to their ever improving offense. Pats could potentially challenge for the AFCE if the Bills drop a few with him catching passes from Jones.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

No Butt Stuff posted:

If the knock on him really is that he just freelances all the time to get open and needs someone who can play like that with him, then I could see him being a viable option for the Chiefs.

I also highly doubt any of that is true and he will go somewhere and do nothing this year.

He was the perfect receiver for Eli Manning bullshit, so, yeah, he would definitely fit in with Mahomes.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Remember how the Rams got a king's ransom for the RG3 pick but got nearly nothing out of it? The only player I can remember from that haul is... Ogletree?

I wonder if that didn't have a hand in the organization deciding picks were more valuable for acquiring players instead of drafting them.

Michael Brockers and Janoris Jenkis were...fine? Like not amazing or anything, but Brockers at least was a decent player and they're still around.

Almost by default they all lasted longer than RG3 so...:shrug:

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

remember when OBJ and Landry made fun of the Ravens for extending Marcus Peters then continually got owned by him in h2h and now OBJ is getting booted off the Browns lmao

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

Michael Brockers and Janoris Jenkis were...fine? Like not amazing or anything, but Brockers at least was a decent player and they're still around.

Almost by default they all lasted longer than RG3 so...:shrug:

I still think RG3 would’ve had a few more good years if Shanahan hadn’t killed him.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

No Butt Stuff posted:

I could see it being true, his good year was the year we had an idiot head coach who was in way over his head and Baker was basically improvising every play.

So it makes sense that if he's mediocre to bad when just running planned routes he'd be good then and bad now.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

No Butt Stuff posted:

I still think RG3 would’ve had a few more good years if Shanahan hadn’t killed him.

RG3 was set up to die by Shanahan, but he was also almost uniquely stupid at running into easily avoidable kill shots from linebackers. Dude had an amazing anti-survival instinct.

Barring Shanahan double destroying his knees he might have snuck another 1-2 good seasons in before he died, but beyond that... ehhhhhhh

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

sean10mm posted:

RG3 was set up to die by Shanahan, but he was also almost uniquely stupid at running into easily avoidable kill shots from linebackers. Dude had an amazing anti-survival instinct.

Barring Shanahan double destroying his knees he might have snuck another 1-2 good seasons in before he died, but beyond that... ehhhhhhh

He also flat out sucked at running their offense beyond his rookie season. Cue the infamous gif of him having a clean pocket and five players all wide open by NFL standards and him taking a sack, or all the breakdowns that came of him failing to run staple Shanahan plays that have worked before and since with any halfway decent QB and why he lost the job to Kirk Cousins. The injuries didn’t help, but RG3 had other issues beyond that in Washington.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

fartknocker posted:

He also flat out sucked at running their offense beyond his rookie season. Cue the infamous gif of him having a clean pocket and five players all wide open by NFL standards and him taking a sack, or all the breakdowns that came of him failing to run staple Shanahan plays that have worked before and since with any halfway decent QB and why he lost the job to Kirk Cousins. The injuries didn’t help, but RG3 had other issues beyond that in Washington.

Yeah, he never developed as an NFL player in any way. Dude was just "football dumb."

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Apparently Rodgers filmed State Farm commercials and unvaccinated players aren’t allowed to do stuff like that? I hope this is true because this story is the gift that keeps on giving.

No, the rule relates to sponsorships and marketing activities that are put on by the team or NFL.

japtor posted:

They were filmed in February.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.reviewjournal.com/investigations/video-shows-ruggs-speeding-in-car-with-girlfriend-who-says-slow-down-2471423/

quote:

A video obtained by the Review-Journal appears to show former Raiders wide receiver Henry Ruggs speeding on a Las Vegas residential street with his girlfriend, Kiara Kilgo-Washington.

In the September 2020 video recorded by Washington and posted on her YouTube channel, The RUPrint, Ruggs laughs as he revs the engine of his car. The video was titled “Wild Out Wednesdays.”

“You look scared,” Ruggs tells Washington, who also goes by the name Rudy Washington.

The video has since been removed from her YouTube channel.

quote:

“Just don’t do it no more,” Washington is heard saying in the clip. “What you about to do?”

“Launch,” Ruggs responded. “What do rockets do? Take off.”

The car then lurches, causing Washington to drop the camera. “Slow down!” she said in the video, seemingly out of breath. “Take me back to the house. I dropped my phone.”

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fartknocker posted:

I still think something broke his brain, whether it was the idea of proving himself as a pocket passer or coaching or...whatever. In college and for that first season he was bombs away, he didn't question whether someone was open deep if his eyes told him they were.

I never really liked him running, I mean he was plenty fast and could do it. Just...he never had any wiggle to him and it was all straight lines. That's fine if there's no one there, a lot less fine in many times that he took off.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

SKULL.GIF posted:

Michael Brockers was probably the best of out of the group. He was a mainstay on the defensive line for nine years. Janoris Jenkins was good but the Rams couldn't afford to extend him. Alec Ogletree looked like a star his first couple years then got hurt and didn't really fit Wade Phillip's defense when he came back. The completely blew the Greg Robinson pick considering Jake Matthews and Taylor Lewan were both drafted in the top ten of 2014 along with him.

Stedman Bailey looked like he was going to become a good receiver/return man at one point but got caught up in a drive by shooting and got shot in the head twice. He survived somehow but couldn't play football again because any knock to the head could have killed him.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
And as was already pointed out, RG3 ran pretty recklessly and took way too many easily avoidable kill shots. Compared to a bunch of other running and mobile QBs, he did the absolute minimum to protect himself and was getting minor injuries even during his rookie year. A bunch of people were calling it weeks before his knee injury that he needed to adapt or something serious was gonna happen (I think people were expecting more of a Pat White situation, but he also already had a history of knee injuries from college IIRC).

I did an effort post on this years ago, but don’t forget that a big part of his first year was Washington running the read option, which at that point nobody in the NFL had ever seen done that often and with a QB with his speed. The only other team running it before then was the Panthers with Cam Newton, who obviously had a very different skill set. By the end of RG3’s rookie year, teams were adapting to him using it, as well as teams like Seattle with Wilson and San Francisco with Kap using it more and more, so it was becoming less effective as defenses got better at defending it. They couldn’t rely on doing read option to the extent they had for a lot of his rookie year, and that also didn’t help him going forward.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1456598642362667009?t=t7czbNNwkH9P0lkhmeP48A&s=19

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1456620696315088905?t=3LdrUP5Q2m1sk4LpblawYg&s=19

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1456609360155656197?t=Sy6zYhaHUewUXHrLhgyJDQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

If he clears waivers I would bet money on him going to the Bucs. He's wanted to play with Brady since his Giant years and I'm sure he'd sign for peanuts to play out the season with Brady on a potential Super Bowl contender, and the Bucs are always happy to pickup another potential toy.