Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Our grass area is *maybe* 60 square feet, so we're planning on starting out with a corded trimmer. We're going to borrow our friends' to try it out. And yes, that's six zero, not a typo. Small Seattle yard and half of it has pebbles and stone pavers.

Have you considered a reel mower? Like tiny, level yard is a perfect use case for them, and they don't take as much space to store. They're also cheaper, and probably won't explode or whatever if you mow wet grass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

devicenull posted:

I'm going with floor drain he "filled in" with the tennis ball.

I'd probably mail the tennis ball to the PO with some vague threats of lawsuit.

Or fire it out of a cannon at their head.

Imagine if the washer sprung a leak. They're usually on the 2nd floor these days, that could have been catastrophic. I'd be loving livid if I had found that in my house.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Our grass area is *maybe* 60 square feet, so we're planning on starting out with a corded trimmer. We're going to borrow our friends' to try it out. And yes, that's six zero, not a typo. Small Seattle yard and half of it has pebbles and stone pavers.

At that point I'd replace it with astroturf

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Hadlock posted:

At that point I'd replace it with astroturf

Speaking of astroturf. I'm about to have some companies come out and give some quotes for dog friendly turf as my two dogs have absolutely destroyed my grass and there's no point in resodding as they're just going to destroy it again, so gently caress it, turf time.

I expect this to be not cheap but I think in the long run it will be worth not having to deal with grass/dirt/mud in my backyard and will make my wife happy when the dogs stop bring in so much dirt on their paws.

This is in addition to the exterior of the house being painted this week and in 2 weeks we rip out about 1500 sqft of tile and carpet and put down some LVP which my brother and I are going to do ourselves.

Thank god for crazy house prices as we were able to do a cash out refinance and lower our rate by almost 2% and lower our monthly by about $200. We bought for $230k 5 years ago and it appraised at 365k lol

mattfl fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 4, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Near our house about three years ago they converted a lovely patch of dirt "park" to a food truck, uh, oasis, anyways it's constantly packed now, they opted to put in high end astroturf in all of the seating areas, it's remarkably nice and holds up to the constant foot traffic. Feels good on bare feet. With covid it's sort of become the neighborhoods outdoor living room. Astroturf has really come a long ways since the 1980s

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Near our house about three years ago they converted a lovely patch of dirt "park" to a food truck, uh, oasis, anyways it's constantly packed now, they opted to put in high end astroturf in all of the seating areas, it's remarkably nice and holds up to the constant foot traffic. Feels good on bare feet. With covid it's sort of become the neighborhoods outdoor living room. Astroturf has really come a long ways since the 1980s

Ya our dog trainers entire backyard was dog friendly turf and it was amazing. It held up to dozens of dogs running on it daily and she said cleanup of pee/poop was no big deal.

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos
My home has a fun quirk: whenever I run water in the kitchen (e.g. dishes) or use the washing machine, I get a nasty sewer gas smell in the master bathroom. I had a plumber out to take a look and we discovered that what we thought was the rooftop vent connected to the plumbing stack is actually connected to... absolutely nothing. The pipe coming down from said rooftop terminates in the attic juuuust below the blown-in insulation where you wouldn't otherwise see it, and the plumbing vent stack comes up from the crawl space to terminate somewhere in a wall cavity in the master bathroom a few feet to the side, hence the smell. The previous homeowner bought and flipped this property (i.e. never actually lived here) and between the above and what the plumber described as some very poorly-done (and non-compliant) junctions in the drain pipes under the house, they clearly did the piping themselves and didn't get it inspected.

So fixing it will involve ripping open said wall cavity, finding where said vent pipe actually ends (is it one foot off the floor? Is it five feet? :iiam:), then connecting and running pipe through the top plate into the attic to get to said rooftop vent. For better or for worse I've gotten used to this quirk but I do want to get it fixed and, yeah, I'm not looking forward to this process. ...Oh, and finding another contractor to do so, because the plumber doesn't want to touch this job with a 10-foot pole. :suicide:

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

gwrtheyrn posted:

Have you considered a reel mower? Like tiny, level yard is a perfect use case for them, and they don't take as much space to store. They're also cheaper, and probably won't explode or whatever if you mow wet grass

We definitely at first but our friends who have a similarly small yard said they tried one, then preferred the trimmer. We were going to borrow theirs to try it out before committing.

And we definitely want to keep our tiny bit of grass and not swap to astroturf :shobon:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Anyone have a decent electronic radon detector they like/trust?

I spend a good amount of time in my basement (obviously, I post here), so I'd like to make sure.

May just get a short term done first, my state kits are like :10bux:.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

I'm in the market for a new toolbox, one that is somewhat portable -- and by that I mean I can move it around without too much trouble -- will last a long time and is, preferably, not made in China. I do not have a garage, so the larger toolboxes are out of the questions. My budget is less than $100.

Any recommendations?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Anyone have a decent electronic radon detector they like/trust?

I spend a good amount of time in my basement (obviously, I post here), so I'd like to make sure.

May just get a short term done first, my state kits are like :10bux:.

Just do the cheap test first, if your reading comes back high then consider getting an electronic one, and putting in a mitigation system. The good detectors are $150+. I've got this and am happy with it: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Airthings-Corentium-Home-Battery-Operated-Digital-Radon-Detector-223/313732652

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Armauk posted:

I'm in the market for a new toolbox, one that is somewhat portable -- and by that I mean I can move it around without too much trouble -- will last a long time and is, preferably, not made in China. I do not have a garage, so the larger toolboxes are out of the questions. My budget is less than $100.

Any recommendations?

Like you mean a small one that you carry around from here to there? Not made in china and $100 dollars is going to be tough. You're looking at like a 3 drawer metal one or a wheely cart kind of one but even then they'll be small.
If you don't mind used. My old Craftsman "Rally box" is a nice small one that was nice to carry around when I had a car that needed on the spot work and has lasted me at least 20 years without being trash.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Armauk posted:

Any recommendations?

The not made in china is gonna make the less than $100 tough.

Check out Harbor Freight, their tool boxes are pretty serviceable.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

tater_salad posted:

Like you mean a small one that you carry around from here to there?

Yes.

tater_salad posted:

Not made in china and $100 dollars is going to be tough.

mattfl posted:

The not made in china is gonna make the less than $100 tough.

I can be flexible on budget so long it's not made in China.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Under a hundred bucks I'd be checking out reslale shops. You can find wonderful deals there for tools if youre either lucky or know the right shop.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Armauk posted:

Yes.

Honestly if you're that hung up on not made in China you're better off going to garage sales and going with something vintage.
Kennedy is the only brand I recognize when I do a Google search for toolbox made in USA. And their prices are going to go well beyond $100 for a simple Carry box (2-3x)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tater_salad posted:

Honestly if you're that hung up on not made in China

Which begs the question "why?"

If you are using this as a proxy for quality you're wrong.

If you are doing this for other reasons you are probably also wrong.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Armauk posted:

Yes.

If you're firm on not made in China I'd start hitting pawn shops for brands that you know are made in the US.

edit: also:

Motronic posted:

Which begs the question "why?"

If you are using this as a proxy for quality you're wrong.

If you are doing this for other reasons you are probably also wrong.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I mean, how many tools we talking here? a bunch of Craftsman stuff is "made in the USA" with "global materials" and under $100
example:
https://www.craftsman.com/products/storage-garage/tool-storage/tool-boxes/cmst26320--26-in-pro-toolbox

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

A bunch of stuff these days is made in Vietnam, unless that also fits under your definition of "China"

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Stanley distantly makes stuff in the us which is kind of surprising to me.

My guess is it's all plastic but it also depends on what you want.

Standard metal rectangle box? Modular plastic with all kinds of bells and whistles? Rolling stackable? Canvas bags?

Honestly I use my Ryobi bag that came with my big tool set the most. I just fill it with whatever tools I need for a specific job and haul it there then bring it back and put the tools back in my chest. Bags and buckets have become as useful as the tools.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Source4Leko posted:

Under a hundred bucks I'd be checking out reslale shops. You can find wonderful deals there for tools if youre either lucky or know the right shop.

tater_salad posted:

Honestly if you're that hung up on not made in China you're better off going to garage sales and going with something vintage.

Surely there are boxes that are made in America that aren't "vintage."

tater_salad posted:

Kennedy is the only brand I recognize when I do a Google search for toolbox made in USA. And their prices are going to go well beyond $100 for a simple Carry box (2-3x)

I found Kennedy initially and saw the prices go up pretty high, so I figured I'd see if there's a cheaper alternative.

pmchem posted:

I mean, how many tools we talking here? a bunch of Craftsman stuff is "made in the USA" with "global materials"

From what I've found, their toolboxes are made either in China, Taiwan, and Mexico. Not what I'm looking for, unfortunately.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Armauk posted:

Surely there are boxes that are made in America that aren't "vintage."

Not for that price. You'll maybe get a heavy duty canvas bag or something.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

If you're dead set on having a made in the US toolbox I can't give you any suggestions off the top of my head, but you'll probably have the best chances if you do some research into who manufactures toolboxes for the US military. Maybe some federal agencies. There are a good few companies who exist solely to fulfill mandates that the government purchase "made in America" goods. The ubiquitous Skilcraft pens and other office supplies you'll find in government offices exist largely for that reason.*

But, you're going to pay more than you would for a similar quality toolbox made by pretty much anybody else.

If you're really, REALLY dead set on it you might look into surplus auctions, or at least business that liquidate surplus auctions. I know someone who just picked up a very large, locking fireproof filing cabinet for cheap from a military base that way.

Alternatively, do like my grandpa did and make your own toolbox.

*well, kind of. Way back when they started as a way to get work for blind people, but at this point it has more to do with made-in-USA legislation than employing people with visual disabilities

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
This says made in USA:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CTNF6I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_GMZ42N0XGN77MJ49Z104?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

$$$ option, the Best Made brand that Duluth Trading acquired is mostly all made in USA stuff:

https://www.duluthtrading.com/best-...QxoC3esQAvD_BwE

I have a couple old steel craftsman toolboxes that I’ve acquired from family and while they sure are sturdy and well made, they’re heavy as gently caress and they just live in the garage.

Personally I’m a fan of the ‘bucket boss’ style setup that you can drop over any 5-gal bucket and load up with tools. Works great around the house.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Wow I stand corrected I would have thought even something like that made is USA would be like 150 these days

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Armauk posted:

From what I've found, their toolboxes are made either in China, Taiwan, and Mexico. Not what I'm looking for, unfortunately.

...did you click the link I provided? it very clearly states "made in the USA"

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Why does it need to be made in the usa this badly

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I'm looking to find the highest density concrete I can get for a reasonable price at Lowes/HD/etc. Since concrete density isn't listed but density and compressive strength are well correlated I'm looking at 7000PSI concretes.

Anyone know if there's a higher density concrete than the 7000PSI stuff linked above?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

CarForumPoster posted:

I'm looking to find the highest density concrete I can get for a reasonable price at Lowes/HD/etc. Since concrete density isn't listed but density and compressive strength are well correlated I'm looking at 7000PSI concretes.

Anyone know if there's a higher density concrete than the 7000PSI stuff linked above?

I'm really curious what your use-case is here? If you're looking for strength, you're probably talking about a UHPC mix, which includes various fibers to achieve 10,000PSI+ compressive strengths.

If you need, or an architect/engineer specified a certain strength, your best bet is to call a concrete batch plant and explain to them what you want. They're very helpful about this kind of thing. Mixing sakrete by hand is not going to be as consistent.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

B-Nasty posted:

I'm really curious what your use-case is here? If you're looking for strength, you're probably talking about a UHPC mix, which includes various fibers to achieve 10,000PSI+ compressive strengths.

If you need, or an architect/engineer specified a certain strength, your best bet is to call a concrete batch plant and explain to them what you want. They're very helpful about this kind of thing. Mixing sakrete by hand is not going to be as consistent.

As stated, I am looking for density, not strength. Density and strength are usually correlated in concrete so I am assuming that the 7000psi stuff is denser than the 5000. Adding fiber decreases the density, so not what I want.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

CarForumPoster posted:

As stated, I am looking for density, not strength.

For what? Are you building a reactor shield?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

B-Nasty posted:

For what?

And the reason this is being asked is because when people have strange sounding requirements they are usually misunderstanding the problem domain or trying to solve something that's already been solved in a much simpler way.

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug
anyway, can someone tell me what is the most caustic kind of lime and the hungriest passel of pigs

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Motronic posted:

And the reason this is being asked is because when people have strange sounding requirements they are usually misunderstanding the problem domain or trying to solve something that's already been solved in a much simpler way.

B-Nasty posted:

For what? Are you building a reactor shield?

An above-ground all purpose safe room, yea. Radiation attenuation is part of that (as are size requirements, tornados, exit safety, etc.) So plan is outer dry wall->PE sheet->poured concrete wall if possible.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

CarForumPoster posted:

You can make your own concrete with Portland cement, sand and aggregate (rock), and use some steel in place of some aggregate. Or get a high strength mix and add steel to it. Or something heavier too, if you happen to have a pile of lead weights you want to toss in.

Concrete density and strength aren't that dramatic of a correlation. The stronger concrete uses more cement and less aggregate, with a low water to cement ratio. Cement and water both have lower densities than aggregate but mix together, and bond. Grout, which is cement, sand and water is less dense than concrete. I did a bit of calculation and the recipe for 4000psi weighed less per yard than 3000.

Edit, OK so I thought you just wanted like a block to secure your motorcycle or something and wanted small and heavy. You need a professional to do what you're doing. The formwork will have to be stronger, and you'll have to plan ahead and pay a lot for the batch plant to have heavyweight aggregate. Depending where you live it may not be feasible. Something you may not realize too is it means more trips with cement trucks since they can't haul as much. Consider lining your insane bunker with 1/16" lead sheet behind the drywall.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 5, 2021

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

StormDrain posted:

You can make your own concrete with Portland cement, sand and aggregate (rock), and use some steel in place of some aggregate. Or get a high strength mix and add steel to it. Or something heavier too, if you happen to have a pile of lead weights you want to toss in.

Concrete density and strength aren't that dramatic of a correlation. The stronger concrete uses more cement and less aggregate, with a low water to cement ratio. Cement and water both have lower densities than aggregate but mix together, and bond. Grout, which is cement, sand and water is less dense than concrete. I did a bit of calculation and the recipe for 4000psi weighed less per yard than 3000.

Thanks! This is really helpful. I'll ditch that assumption and prob just pick up one of each, then test.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Edit, OK so I thought you just wanted like a block to secure your motorcycle or something and wanted small and heavy. You need a professional to do what you're doing. The formwork will have to be stronger, and you'll have to plan ahead and pay a lot for the batch plant to have heavyweight aggregate. Depending where you live it may not be feasible. Something you may not realize too is it means more trips with cement trucks since they can't haul as much. Consider lining your insane bunker with 1/16" lead sheet behind the drywall.

Also, already solved problems. Here's a starting point: https://www.fema.gov/pdf/plan/prevent/rms/453/fema453.pdf

There is even a discussion on why radiation threads are not particularly addressed. Because, really.....what's your plan if you benefit from radioactive shielding of a safe room? What do you do next?

Motronic fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 5, 2021

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Verman posted:

Stanley distantly makes stuff in the us which is kind of surprising to me.

My guess is it's all plastic but it also depends on what you want.

Standard metal rectangle box? Modular plastic with all kinds of bells and whistles? Rolling stackable? Canvas bags?

Honestly I use my Ryobi bag that came with my big tool set the most. I just fill it with whatever tools I need for a specific job and haul it there then bring it back and put the tools back in my chest. Bags and buckets have become as useful as the tools.

Same here, I pull what I need from my big tool chest and throw it into a tool bag for whatever project I’m working on.

StormDrain posted:

Edit, OK so I thought you just wanted like a block to secure your motorcycle or something and wanted small and heavy.

Nice callback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Motronic posted:

Also, already solved problems. Here's a starting point: https://www.fema.gov/pdf/plan/prevent/rms/453/fema453.pdf

There is even a discussion on why radiation threads are not particularly addressed. Because, really.....what's your plan if you benefit from radioactive shielding of a safe room? What do you do next?

Ultimately your answer is helpful, it's fun to just answer the questions on their face too.